The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Life is good again.

Dear Members,

I am delighted at the ressurection of the Worst Royal Jewels. I am now at liberty to wax venemous and acidulous and get away with it. One can say all kinds of nasty things without having the moderators-they who must be obeyed-come down upon one with righteous ire and damnation. In the case of the Burmese tiara my initial opinion was in agreement with the members.

Dear QEII bothched thought I. But over time it has grown upon me and I no longer look upon it as an unpardonable monstrosity, rather a sort of mediocre attempt at something Better. I do hope they did not up and take apart the Hyderabad tiara to make that then, but then one never knows.

The other two tiaras she has had created are the sapphire thingie, a flop and the aquamarine thingie, an absolute flop. The necklaces redeem the sapphire parure bit the aquamarine is a mess, just big clunky rocks strung together. which is such a pity as the aquamarine can be such a lovely stone.

It really is odd that rubies seem to bring out the worst possible designs. I refer the members to what I call the Wurtenberg Haloween Trick or Treat State Horror Tiara and the awful Swedish ruby poison pill contraption that should really be broken up and the pieces sold at auction to help the poor starving people of Darfur. But then of all the various gemstones I suppose the ruby is the one most difficult to handle with taste and balance-those supremely elusive qualities which on this thread are so gleefully conspicuous by their absence. Cheers.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Dear mr. Parkman,
you certainly know how you make yourself apreciated here, I am looking forward to more simular posts

I just wondered what you meant with the Wurttemberg Ruby horror. As far as I know the Wurttembergs dont have any ruby tiaras and the only tiara which is referred to as the Wurttemberg tiara is (as far as I know) a pearl and diamond tiara worn by the Dutch royals (and not to ugly either, which makes an exception in this collection).

Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Thomas is referring to the Württemberg Ruby Star Tiara, which is probably pictured earlier in the thread. It scores about 3 out of 10 for artistic flair.

Found it, in the Star Tiaras thread, here.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Ah, that one. It isn't property of the present Wurttemberg family, right? Didn't it belong to Duchess Vera maybe? Or at least some Wurttemberg family member with a close connection to the Romanovs?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
I hate Queen Rania's emerald tiara made by Boucheron. It's to dark and looks terrible on Rania's dark hair.
I totally agree. Although, I don't think it looks awful just on Rania's hair. It's absolutely hideous and tasteless. Utterly vulgar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
I have to agree. The poppy thing is a really ugly piece of jewelry... :(
Hear, hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Oh, My God!! My God!!! My God!!!! Where did you people get those awful pitures...
Brilliant post!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Maria-Teresa's necklace is quite ugly indeed! :(
indeed it is. Beoynd the reach of amendment.
Quote:
...The Burmese ruby tiara of QEII is a perfect example.
I'm sorry, but QEII's Ruby tiara is, absolutely ghastly. Almost as ugly as her aquamarine one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
.. The more eleborate the tiara, the more elaborate the hairdo should be. That's why Queen Silvia for example manages very well wearing that not-so-beautiful massive 'whopper' wall of diamonds, the Braganca tiara.
Queen Silvia is, indeed, the most successful tiara's wearer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Same goes for Queen Silvia's convertible Connaught ruby tiara - beautiful, but gathering dust in the vaults.
Well, that's due to the family feud over this piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Here's another pic for Boris. EIIR looks rather smart and glittering wearing the sapphire tiara. Is it time to reconsider? :)
Quite the contrary, it looks even more disastrous up close!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Madeline is the quintessential 5'8" long legged blond bombshell, only with class
Madeline?? 5'8???? How, exactly, did you figure this one out?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
Brilliant post!!!
Ahhh....How wonderful to see that we are back to our vitriolic best. And my, my, my, don't some of these jewels give us such range and scope. Mmmmmmm... marvelous!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Courtier

Well, dear Members,

I guess it was bound to happen. Some industrious soul would go rummaging through the closets and find all sorts of skeletons with my name attached to them. I suppose I shall just have to sit here in silence (me ever silent????) and endure them, writhing all the time. I just shudder to think what somebody will drag out next. The worst of all the horrors is that the members discover that not only can I not type but I cannot spell. My fingers on a computer keyboard just go beserk!!! But there you are.

Thanks to Warren for dredging up the Wurtemberg State Ruby Tiara. I really think, based on that monstrosity, that it was a good thing that the Prussians annexed them. If only they had done it sooner. But if you take the thing and remove the ghastly stars, which look like fruit cake ornaments, and leave the rest, it really becomes a sort of mildly pleasant harmless Edwardian trinket. Perhaps one of our superb photoshopping artists would take up the challenge, to see if it were possible to redeem this aberration????

As for the Rania bauble. A very expensive and total flop. Black-BLACK????-Gold. Whoever heard of such. That really rather defeats the purpose I should have thought. One would have thought that Boucheron, of all people, would have known what to do with emeralds. They even designed a magnificent necklace, bracelet and earings for Elizabeth Taylor. If they could do that for ET why on earth could they not do at least as well for a real live queen. What makes it even sadder is that emeralds are such magnificent gemstones that you really have to work at making a mess with them. They have such beauty and power that they can overcome just about any bad or awful design, except that pigeon dropping plooped on the head of the Noble Queen of Jordan, it seems.

The only other awful thingie with botched emeralds I can think of, if my brain deterioration has not set in again, is that contraption that somebody cooked up for Zsa Zsa Gabor. Cheers.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Here are a few more that I just don't like.

1.Princess Maxima tiara, it looks fake to me and it reminds me of spears. I hope she doesn't poke an eye out with that thing.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1106178683
Absolutely . Most of the Dutch royal jewels are beautiful, but some are just hideous
Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Nobility

I remember Queen Rania's tiara being in a Town & Country magazine years ago (During a season when the color green was IN), so I don't think Boucheron made it for her specifically. I can see them having made it as a show piece and not really expecting someone to wear the thing. I just don't understand why if you have all that money you'd spend it on something like that when there are so many gorgeous historic pieces for sale these days.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...it was a good thing that the Prussians annexed them. If only they had done it sooner.
The country Württemberg was never annected by Prussia. it was a Kingdom until 1918 and then a federal State of Germany and in 1952 the Countrys Baden, Hohenzolern and Württemberg fusioned and became Baden-Württemberg a federal State of Germany.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSaga
Absolutely . Most of the Dutch royal jewels are beautiful, but some are just hideous
it reminds me of something a child would make to play dress up
Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Mabel's wedding diademe: ugly but brilliant

On her wedding day, Princess Mabel wore a quite strange wedding diademe which was ugly in design but did, remarkably enough, beat all other wedding diademes of the recent royal weddings in what a diademe should do: zum Glitzen, zum Glammen, zum Glanzen und jetzt im Gloria.

The diademes worn by Laurentien, Mette-Marit, Máxima, Märtha-Louise, Letizia, Mary all were beautiful but had the same problem as all diademes in television lights: no refraction, hardly any glitter. That is because diademes are made for gentle candlelighting, then it gives them all the chance to sparkle and spread their magic splendour.

But there is one notable exception.... and that was, weird enough, the ugliest diademe of all.... Princess Mabel's wedding diademe. Due to the special and extremely open setting and because she wore by far the biggest diamonds of all named brides, she sparkled them all away, even in television lights.

You can see them glitter in Realplayer, see my post on the jewelry board (the link will not work in this forum). The diamonds pop up in a dull report on German media interest in Mabel, but you can see diamonds moving for a minute.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Gentry

I've never been fond of this one

I adore Princess Grace and think she was very elegant most of the time. This tiara bothers me though.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1042969236
Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
Well, that's due to the family feud over this piece.
Sorry but what family feud??? care to explain more? haha.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
I remember Queen Rania's tiara being in a Town & Country magazine years ago (During a season when the color green was IN), so I don't think Boucheron made it for her specifically. I can see them having made it as a show piece and not really expecting someone to wear the thing. I just don't understand why if you have all that money you'd spend it on something like that when there are so many gorgeous historic pieces for sale these days.
I honestly don't think that Rania purchased this piece. I think it was a loan from Boucheron. IMTS, how many times has she worn it? Only the once I think!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I honestly don't think that Rania purchased this piece. I think it was a loan from Boucheron. IMTS, how many times has she worn it? Only the once I think!
No, she has worn it a couple of times. It is a purchase of the Jordanian royal family indeed.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

Duchess of Kent

As I was browsing, gleefully looking for some ugly jewellery, I came upon the Duchess of Kent. Now, she has some beautiful pieces--very drool-worthy. However, I cannot figure out why she sold the original tiara/neclace that was originally Queen Mary's grandmothers--and Queen Mary gave Marina the whole parue. The tiara she created, while it consists of beautiful stones, is in that wretched button style. The original tiara--while a touch spikey for me--was an historic piece, and should have remained in the family.

Here is a link to the site that has both pieces:
Kent

Janet
Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting indeed. I think the Dutchess of Kent is one of the loveliest women of any royal family out there today, however I think breaking up old family heirlooms like this to create something new is never a good idea.

And the result is ugly to boot: I don't mind the 'button look' but why oh why couldn't she give this new tiara a decent base of sorts instead of a piece of wire with cloth over it? for shame, I say, for shame!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Well, the Duke and she were probably having some hard times with the cashflow and needed to sell some of the jewels. I am happy that they spared these from the same fate.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I've summed up some of the worst: Over 38 awful pieces of jewellery!
(by order posted)
Sophie, Countess of Wessex's wedding pearl necklace
Queen Rania's Emerald Boucheron tiara
Swedish 4-Button tiara
Swedish 6-Button tiara
Crown Princess Victoria's First Tiara
Swedish Napoleonic Steel-Cut Tiara
Crown Princess Maxima's Diamond Festoon Tiara (the fake-looking spiky one)
Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei's Yellow Diamond Tiara
Dutch Sunray Motif Tiara (Princess Mabel's wedding tiara)
Princess Madeleine's Aquamarine tiara (or as I like to call it, Cyclops)
Queen Sonja's modern Ruby Tiara (think Star Trek)
Queen Sonja's Maltese Cross Diamond Tiara
Queen Alia's Diamond Tiara (the tiara most often worn by Queen Rania, it is actually called Queen Alia's tiara, and belongs to Princess Haya)
Queen Margrethe's Golden Poppies (the Horror)
Crown Princess Mary's blackberry necklace and earrings
Duchess of Glouschester's tiara
Tiara from the Dutch Aquamarine Parure
Sarah, Duchess of York's tiara
Queen Elizabeth II's Australian Opal Necklace
QEII's Burmese Ruby Tiara
QEII's Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara
Queen Alexandrine's Diamond Drop Tiara (Princess Alexandra of Denmark's Tiara) (Alexandra wears it closed so tightly)
Queen Sofia's Niarchos Ruby Tiara
Lalla Asma's tiara
Lalla Meryem's Tiara
Wurttemberg Ruby Star Tiara
Princess Maxima's Diamond Stars Tiara (her wedding tiara)
Luxembourg Diamond and Sapphire Converted Tiara (as a necklace)
Luxembourg Diamond and Sapphire Converted Tiara (as a tiara)
Thurn und Taxis emerald choker
Princess Caroline of Monaco's Cleopatra-esque gold necklace
Dutch Ears of Wheat Tiara
Wurttemberg Sapphire Tiara
Sophie, Countess of Wessex's wedding tiara
Emerald Choker of Grand Duchess Wladimir
Swedish Cameo Tiara
Crown Princess Mathilde diamond "x" choker
Thurn und Taxis "Street Light Dog Collar"

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels