Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seeing it again makes me shudder :unsure: (We need an icon for shudder)

Well, good people, this is just the place for that kitsch gone bonkers wine glass and ring in all the tacky and revolting tastelessness of it. And the picture of the two-well the less said the better. And such a waste of beautiful gemstones too. Have you noticed how often the stones themselves are lovely but put to such simply abysmal uses. To have turned Harrods of all places into a shrine of such vulgar and deranged twaddle is pathetic and sad indeed.

However I will agree with the Prince of Chota, I too like the Swedish cameo tiara, although I can vacillate on the subject, but compared to other horrors. All the one really needs for that balck pearl drivel is for Sophie to be sporting a black pearl nose plug or to have a huge cultured black pearl glued to the side of her nose. I still wonder what the Vladimir tiara or a copy of it-tiaras with gems set in circles of diamonds were quite common-set with black pearls would look like. Do they have black pearl drops on the order of the white pearl drops I wonder.

Of course now we need an icon of Thomas getting stoned on chocolate. A raving idiot soothed and blissed out and out of this world drooling over some goodie on the RF. And the noble and long suffering Warren reaching for his aspirin. Cheers.

Well, good people, this is just the place for that kitsch gone bonkers wine glass and ring in all the tacky and revolting tastelessness of it.
Thomas, does this mean you have failed to appreciate the craftmanship, the delicacy, the subtlety, the charm, and the sheer exquisiteness of Mr Al Fayed's homage to his late son and alleged daughter-in-law-to-be? Why, there's even a Renaissance-like Biblical allusion to the Last Supper. Surely an artistic, quasi-religious and cultural highpoint! :D

Well.....since we're on the subject of, and I shall quote dearest Warren as he put it so beautifully, "the craftmanship, the delicacy, the subtlety, the charm, and the sheer exquisiteness of Mr Al Fayed's homage to his late son and alleged daughter-in-law-to-be?....an artistic, quasi-religious and cultural highpoint! :D" I feel that I would be remiss in not directing the good people of the thread to another one of Mr. Mohommad Al-Fayed "homages": this undeniably timeless piece of the utmost taste, tact, and ahem.....beauty would of course be the statue of Diana and Dodi standing beneath an albatross--

here is a link to the story:
CNN.com - Harrods unveils Diana, Dodi statue - Sep 1, 2005

another article:
CNN.com - Harrods unveils Diana, Dodi statue - Sep 1, 2005

and my personal favorite, a headshot of the "tribute:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40752000/jpg/_40752184_diana300245_getty.jpg

It may not be Worst Royal Jewel, but it is a worst alright.

Ye Gods and Little Fishes, And we thought the jewels were bad. What a waste of good bronze, or was it brass. If it were not it should have been made out of gall stone, if such exists. It seems more than our beloved gemstones can be used as monuments to sheer tackiness. For once words fail me. I do suppose Mr. Who's Its, the designer from Harrods responsible for this abomination could have stuck in a few thingies stolen here and there from Leonardo da Vinci, fallen paint chips and all. They would have fit right in I am sure. I will now need to go home and OD on chocolate to recover the feeble remenants of my sanityfor sure. Cheers

Last edited:
Just seeing it again makes me shudder :unsure: (We need an icon for shudder)

Well, there are a few out there, but in the hope that TRF members don't spend much time shuddering, there isn't one in our gallery. If you want to save one on your computer and use it next time Mohamed Fayed shows up here, I found these. Although, to be honest, I think our :sick: icon does the job pretty well in this case.

Attachments

• shudder.gif
    shudder.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 425
  • shudder2.gif
    shudder2.gif
    5 KB · Views: 436
  • shudder3.gif
    shudder3.gif
    766 bytes · Views: 422
  • shudder4.gif
    shudder4.gif
    676 bytes · Views: 421
  • shudder5.gif
    shudder5.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 421
That statue was pretty hideous. Poor Mr. al Fayed. IMO he seems to have become unhinged by his grief (and possible guilt). I have to agree, the whole display is creepy.

I guess I'm a lot more simple than the al Fayeds. Given a choice of the Super Bowl ring and Charles' engagement ring, give me the sapphire and diamond number please!

I've been thinking about it a lot and can't keep it in anymore. I think Queen Sonja is a lovely person, despite her penchant for that awful canary yellow dress... but her modern pieces are just not attractive. In particular, I dislike the modern topaz tiara. :eek:

the ring that dodi purchased for diana has always annoyed me. if he were buying an engagement ring i can't imagine any woman wanting something that looks like that as her announcement to world that she's getting married. now i know that women embarking on a second marriage may want something entirley different from their first engagement ring but that...i mean c'mon....it screams tacky and i just don't think diana would have accepted something like it from ANY man.

Sophie's pearl necklace would be better without the cross and the black pearls. The Dutch emerald/pearl tiara is better with the emeralds only and for some reason I liked the way Princess Irene and Queen Juliana wore it inverted with the emeralds.

oh IowaBelle! I love your description of "superbowl ring" in reference to the "engagement ring" Dodi bought Diana! That made me laugh out loud! It is SOOOOO true. And Duchess, I don't think Diana would have accepted it, either. It may be a lot of diamonds, but tacky will always be tacky in my book. Speaking of tacky, I also do not like Queen Sonja's modern topaz set--reminds of Wonder Woman or something. She needs to melt the gold and reset the stones into something more attractive!
Sophie's necklace is not so bad--it will never make the "favorite royal jewels" discussion, but I do think that perhaps instead of a cross that Edward should have splurged on some more pearls and made it a double strand of black and white pearls--that would have been lovely--with diamond spacers in between. Now that would have made the favorite jewels thread!

Well, dear members, here we have it. The emeralds in the Dutch tiara are really quite lovely. The pearls of Sophie are very fine indeed. And one could go on and on. The diamonds in that ridiculous ring of Dodi's highlight the problem to perfection. The gems are wonderful, it is the bad taste and atrocious designs of which people are capable-witness that bronze statue and BEWARE!!!!-that is the real problem. No doubt the combination of that statue and that ring have the poor woman spinning in her grave. I know I would rise from the ashes if anybody had done that to me and roam the world like a banshee.

As for Sonja's tourmaline/topaz contraption, the last time I looked it seemed as if somebody had taken a blob of jellied cough syrup, put it into a plastic gell cell and stuck it on this gold 4 1/2 carat gold headpiece. I still find the idea of black pearls interesting. There is a wonderful art deco tiara that is a kokoshnik made of pearls and diamonds with a design in it made of onyx. The combination of the two tones of white with black is quite striking indeed. Now if only this hopeless computer lost soul could post that somewhere to soothe everybody's nerves. But alas, I cannot.

Thomas, I can barely type I am laughing so hard at your description of Queen Sonja's tiara--a blob of jellied cough syrup in plastic and stuck on low, low, LOW quality gold. You're almost evil--but as I completely agree, that would make me evil as well.
I'd love the see art deco black and white tiara. It almost sounds like a mourning tiara. I've seen a pic of one in Munn's small book about tiaras--is that is???

I do agree with Duchess. IMO I don't think a woman would want a similar engagement ring from her second husband, but the Dites Moi ring looks like a men's ring, something that a football player or a mobster would wear. It's just not at all what Diana favored.

And Sonja's topaz tiara, I love the comparison to Wonder Woman's! That's absolutely right.

Maybe if we talk long enough about Sophie's necklace, we could persuade Edward to change it. She's a pretty lady and she needs a pretty necklace. It would make a good second baby gift to her.

Found another I don't like. Sophie's modern aquamarine and diamond tiara, sometimes worn as a necklace. It looks like something a Klingon would wear (yes, I've watched that show!). She wore it in Monaco.

Iowabelle I totally agee! That tiara is a waste of an impressive aquamarine. The actual tiara itself has some lovely craftmanship with all those diamonds, but the overall execution--not quite there. Poor Sophie--she has two odd looking tiaras! That bridal tiara is awkward:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37354&d=1084662376

It looks like an element just plopped down on top of the middle! Really--I think if it had just been the three like pieces, with the narrower one used a a comb, it would be much more attractive. I love the history of the piece--but the aesthetics--not so much.

The aquamarine tiara--again, possibly another family piece--well, the aquamarine could have been Princess Alice's--she favored aquamarines.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=215264&d=1132435825 but this thing reminds me of a cyclops--not as bad as Princess Madeline's tiara--but it could be its cousin.
I do like Sophie's other tiara:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=189368&d=1125816249

Oh, dear, how right you are. Tiara no. 1 looks like it came from the bridal section in Silver's Dime Store. What did I say about wasting good gemstones.
As for the aquamarine horror we now have candidate no 35 for our Halloween Worst Jewels Horror Party. All we need is for Sophie to grow a black mustache and some fangs. Cheers.

I like Sophie's aquamarine tiara. I think it's very pretty. I don't think her wedding tiara was all that nice. It looks like the royal jewelers tried to sodder something togethor at the last minute. Her third tiara with all the circles reminds me of CP Mette-Marie of Norway's wedding tiara. I think CP MM wears it better.

And while I can appreciate the Klingon reference, I think it's more applicable to the Queen of Norway's gold & topaz tiara. That one looks like it came from a sci-fi prop shop!

I love jewels so much there is very little among royals that I find truely ugly. Dodi's ring for Diana is lovely, but not appropriate. It's much more suited to be a right-hand ring than an engagement ring for a woman in her 30s. I have a hard time believing it was meant to be an engagement ring. Unless Dodi really didn't have any class and it was some kind of male ego issue like trying to one-up the royal jewels she owned while she was married.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought about Dodi buying that ring. I mean, it's not even a classy cocktail ring.

And jcbcode is right... most of Sophie's tiaras aren't that becoming to her. I do like the little tiara with the round parts, which I think belonged to the Queen Mother (if I'm not mistaken), but it's sort of plain, don't you agree? (If diamonds can be plain!)

I think diamonds alone in tiaras can be quite plain, although I never stopped to think about it until you mentioned it. I think you need at least two different types of jewels to make a pretty tiara.:clap::queen:

Oh, what beautiful tiaras. Love the pictures.
can you tell a little about each one. being a novice I don't know all the tiaras by heart
Thanks so much

Nothing plain here:
http://image62.webshots.com/62/1/1/92/542610192ITfVFD_fs.jpg

or here
http://image64.webshots.com/164/9/48/96/542594896TowhHK_fs.jpg

or here,
http://image53.webshots.com/53/3/44/10/542634410zeLXwP_fs.jpg

Nor here,
http://image63.webshots.com/463/1/97/98/2802197980056005517vWBjBZ_ph.jpg

That being said, here are some beautiful two jeweled tiaras:
http://image61.webshots.com/61/7/20/8/2667720080056005517WewGHi_fs.jpg

http://image54.webshots.com/54/1/42/9/2662142090056005517xjIlEV_fs.jpg

http://image42.webshots.com/43/0/31/40/2453031400056005517JJmUEF_ph.jpg

and, keeping it true to the worst royal jewels thread that we are in:
this looks a little weird---nice stones, not so good design:
http://image59.webshots.com/759/3/75/74/2206375740056005517SGwWgW_ph.jpg

On the first three links, it will say that the website declined to show--just click your refresh button. It'll pop right up.

Last edited by a moderator:
jcb, that last photo you posted... it looked like two tiaras were placed one on top of the other (and they'd look much better separately). Where did that piece come from?

Maybe it has to do with how you wear your diamonds as to whether they appear plain. Sophie is lovely but she doesn't have grandeur IMO. HM wears them well, but nobody could possibly top Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary for grandeur in diamonds.

Maybe we already discussed this... what about Princess Astrid of Norway's winged tiara? Sorry I can't post a picture. But it's ugly enough that one of you will have one!

Edit: I just saw her wearing it with the Brazilians. And the Queen is wearing her ugly tiara... with the infamous yellow dress!

Last edited:
After seeing again Queen Sonja's gold tiara
dronning sonja vietnam - Sesam
I thnik that's one of the worst fewels with necklace.
This Tiara shows that men don't have any taste for jewels!
This ugly Modern Topaz Tiara (also called The Star Wars Tiara by some Royal Watchers :D) was a present by King Harald for Queen Sonja's 60th birthday.
She (luckily) doesn't wear it very often.
During the State Visit from Brazil she wore it again:
Sonja with Modern Topaz Tiara

Thanks Her_Majesty I forgot correctly name of this ... jewel. He try the best but it wasn't the best choice this time.

Btw. Don't you think that it would look better on dark hair like Rania's?

Last edited:
Oh, Her Majesty, I think that's being sexist! :flowers: So, Dodi Fayed and King Harald shouldn't have been allowed to go to the jeweler unaccompanied... but some fellows do all right. I think the PoW has been doing pretty well for Camilla, for example. And I'm sure many of our male members could pick out lovely jewels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom