The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Courtier

I have to say, that Ruby Peacock Parure is ugly, the brooch isn't bad but that tiara, ewwww. At least Maxima has enough taste not to wear that syle yet.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I have to say, that Ruby Peacock Parure is ugly, the brooch isn't bad but that tiara, ewwww. At least Maxima has enough taste not to wear that syle yet.
She did wear it once but i don´t know for wich occasion..if you take a look at http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/new_page_13.htm and then scroll down to the last pictur you will se Maxima useing it.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Maxima only wore the brooch of the parure. It is believed that the peacock ruby tiara and necklace were given to Princess Irene by her grandmother, Queen Wilhelmina. It was last seen in the 70-ties. As Irene's daughter Margarita borrowed another tiara for her wedding & did not use her mothers tiara, one wonders where it is today. Maybe sold?

I agree with mims, when the peacock-tiara is placed in the coifure instead of on top of it, it looks ok (not great, but not ugly either) (the same goes for Maxima's stars).

The Orange-Nassau's agreed with you (HM Margrethe) on the Amsterdam wedding gift parure and the Old Crown/Queen Emma's diamond parure: both were broken up.

The Stuart tiara isn't exactly the epithomy of elegance either, but I rather like it, due to the huge diamonds & I just like whopper-tiara's. I once saw coloured filmimages from the wedding of (then) Crownprincess Margrethe of Denmark & Juliana wearing the Stuart-whopper: so much glitz & bling that it overshadowed all the other tiara's. Not elegant indeed, but IMO it surved it's goal: impress (I wish Queen Beatrix took more after her mother in the jewel department).
Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Commoner

Personally I think Rania's tiara looks like tinsel from the Christmas tree plopped on top of her head. Can't believe such an elegant woman would be caught dead in that head dress. As for Margarthe's poppy tiara, I'm glad that it was pointed out it was a tiara. I wouldn't have known how to categorized it otherwise.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
which do you all find so hideous?

to me only the emerald tiara, especially done with the pearls is ugly and the triangular motive tiara should never be worn as a tiara again. The sunray tiara isn't a huge succes either, but when Maxima places it against her hair it is ok.

Most tiara's are ok (not great or elegant) IMO, and some even pretty (Anna Pavlovna's pearl tiara and the diamond bandeau the most elegant ones IMO)
It has nothing to do with hideousness, Marengo. Princess Máxima of the Netherlands has worn so many jewels and diademes, no any other European heiress has matched her on that point. It is just jealousy.

I appreciate it that Princess Máxima has worn the sunray motif monture, or the triangular motif diademe. It speaks volumes for her love for old family heirloom jewels, probably helped by enthusiast experts from the Court Jeweller that she re-discovered the triangular motif (1889) monture or the sunray-motif monture (1881).

Also the knowledge that the emeralds from the Emerald Parure are so very old (around 1770) and that it glittered at the Palais Sans-Souci of Frederik the Great, speaks so much more to me than any fabulous modern brand new diademe. It is the history which adds so much more to royal jewels.

Compare it to jewels worn by Elizabeth Taylor or Doris Duke. They do nothing for me. And IF they had royal provenance (like La Peregrina) my heart only weeps for the fact that such a wonderful jewel is in a Hollywood villa.

And oh yes, diademes should not be judged by the simple metal frame with glimmers, but also how they are used. For so far Princess Máxima has done great honour and justice to them in looking gracious and every inch a Princess of Orange, with the fabulous jewels from her spouse's House. We can only wish that the others (Mette-Marit, Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, etc.) could pack out the way Princess Máxima did and does and will do!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
She did wear it once but i don´t know for wich occasion..if you take a look at http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/new_page_13.htm and then scroll down to the last pictur you will se Maxima useing it.
Oh yes, thank you, but I meant wearing it in the style of Princess Irene. I like the way Maxima wore it with the red dress, just not how princess Irene wore it.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Oh yes, thank you, but I meant wearing it in the style of Princess Irene. I like the way Maxima wore it with the red dress, just not how princess Irene wore it.
I don't understand it completely: Princess Irene wore the diademe and the errrings of the 'Peacock Parure'.

Princess Máxima wore one of the brooches of this parure.

There is no comparison to be made between the two Princesses because neither of them wore comparable pieces.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Okay, this is what I'm saying... I like the way Maxima is wearing the brooch and tiara in this picture http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/tnsngr/MRT.jpg which is from the Peacock Ruby Parure. But I do not like how Princess Irene is wearing the tiara here http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...enTiara02a.jpg, regardless of the history of the parure. Is this a little more clearer?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Courtier

HRHAmy, Princess Maxima isn't wearing the peacock tiara. She's wearing a tiara made for Queen Emma. They're two ruby tiaras (provided the peacock one hasn't been sold) in the RF's vaults, and the peacock one hasn't been seen since the 70's.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Courtier

Okay, I thought the tiara Maxima was wearing was from the Peacock Parure since it was on the same page on the dutch jewels website. Thank you fireweaver for correcting me.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Okay, I thought the tiara Maxima was wearing was from the Peacock Parure since it was on the same page on the dutch jewels website.
It's the tiara from the Mellerio Ruby Parure. Scroll to the bottom of the page for a pic of Maxima wearing it, and a close-up of the tiara.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Courtier

Well, I never!. I have always thought the Mellerio Ruby business just another example of the unfortunate Dutch bad taste where jewelry is concerned. But the massive hair of the good Queen Beatrix just took the thing in stride and it actually looks quite good on her. Af for Maxima, while it has its points I am still not so sure. I have seen another picture of her wearing the tiara and it did not come off well at all. So who knows. I still wish they would dredge up the Stuart parure, which is supposed to be one big headlight and wear that.
The spirit of the Mighty Queen Mary would still be alive and well. If you got it, flaunt it. Cheers.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Well I think this Sapphire parure is really scary:
http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Germa...erttemberg.htm
Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Wow, I believe that falls into the head ornament catagory. I like the necklace though, it kind of reminds me of Queen Silvias from her sapphire parure.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Well officially Princesses do not wear diamonds until they are married - therefore Crown Princess victoria's was most appropriate.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia
Personally I think Rania's tiara looks like tinsel from the Christmas tree plopped on top of her head. Can't believe such an elegant woman would be caught dead in that head dress.
I think the main problem with it is that it seems to hover indecisively over her head...perhaps a change of hairstyle could remedy that...the design is quite...strikingly...modern...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

OK. I absolutely DETEST Queen Elizabeth II's Burmese Ruby tiara. I really hate it. I believe that it was a special commission by her in the 70's, and she really messed up. I have read that she used the stones from the Hyberdad tiara--BIG MISTAKE. That was an attractive, classic tiara. This ruby thing looks like costume prom jewellery. Here it is: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...91177737GOtcEC
Now, if she wants to wear a ruby tiara, she has the Oriental Circlet she could pop on that head--and it is beautiful! http://news.webshots.com/photo/26677...56005517WewGHi
I don't know if this is in her possession, but this is a nice one, too: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...91177737oVXJgP

Also, I don't particularly care for QEII's sapphire tiara, either. It is too spikey.
She needs to stick with the pieces that Queen Mary left her and quit messing up her tiaras. Thank GOD she let Camilla wear the Queen Mother's Deli Durbar and the Boucheron--or else she may have broken those up, too, to create some ugly pieces.
Janet
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't like the Burmese ruby tiara either, and I think it's a shame she had such an attractive tiara broken up in order to create it. But she's only had the use of the Oriental circlet since the Queen Mother died, and perhaps she thought she needed a ruby tiara before that.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
I don't know if this is in her possession, but this is a nice one, too: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...91177737oVXJgP
This one went to Sweden with Princess Margaret of Connaught when she married the future King Gustaf VI Adolf in 1905.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I don't like the Burmese ruby tiara either, and I think it's a shame she had such an attractive tiara broken up in order to create it. But she's only had the use of the Oriental circlet since the Queen Mother died, and perhaps she thought she needed a ruby tiara before that.
"Tiara's, A History of Splendour" caused some controversy on this subject as Geoffrey Munn indicated that the Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara still existed and that its' diamonnds had not been used to create the Burmese Ruby Tiara. Does anyone know where the opinion that it had came from?? I know the reference is made in Menkes but, as we know, this book is not always reliable.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels