The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree Thomas P. This Laurel Necklace Tiara http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...00/hq239uh.jpg (from SRJ)is quite good maybe if it will be little lower it will be better.
Button tiaras are terrible, specially Victoria's one. Not every lady can wear Lilian's Button Tiara. If someone want wear it first should know how do that. Lilians know how to wear her Button Tiara.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/q...isa-ulrika.htm

Old 10-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Majesty

I agree that CP Victoria's 4 Button Tiara is terrible. Whether it is the way she wears it or just the way it is only time will tell. However, Lillian's 6 Button Tiara is the one that Madeline is now wearing is it not? It looks quite nice on Lillian and really lovely on Madeline.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Courtier

Marg, dear heart, Madeline is one of those creatures who could wear a garbage can on the top of her drop dead gorgeous blond head and she would still look good. I do not know whether she had Diana's charisma or whatever it was, but she certainly has the looks. I agree that the six botton thingie looks fine on Princess Lillian, who from all reports is quite a delightful character, but I would remind you that all ten buttons came off of the dress uniform of Carl XIV Johan, aka Jean Bernadotte, the Napoleonic marshall who started the dynasty in the first place.

They should have dismantled the jewels and simply redisgned and constructed a new tiara with them. Those two contraptions are ridiculous, particularly the four button horror.

By the way there is a scremingly funny picture around here somewhere of Lillian at party or something with this Swedish popular singer, a really good looking splendid young Swedish speciman, just the sort to be added to a royal menage somewhere sitting ON HER LAP, in public and serenading her. He is singing happy birthday or all things. She has a grimace on her face as if she is being crushed to death or has just britten into a worm. He is a great big old thing and I wondered if he were breaking her leg. He said later that she called him up on the telephone and they had the nicest conversation. He said that she was his kinda gal. Lovely.

Btw the worst thing in that collection is that diamond and ruby horror and that awful necklace cited above.
Somebody had to lay awake at night drugged on hashish or something to dream those things up. Cheers.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dear Thomas Parkman, I just enjoy each & every one of your postings so much that I find it hard to disagree with anything to write!
I have to admit myself that I am totally biased in favor of any Swedish jewel that appears around the neck, wrists, fingers or on top of any Swedish Royal Females's head... since my fascination with Royalty in general and Royal jewels in particular started with Queen Silvia's wedding to King Carl XVI Gustaf in 1976. So sometimes you just can't take me seriously and I beg yours and everybody's pardon.
Still... even casting this aside, the Bernadotte jewels ARE exceptionally beautiful and they do have the most interesting historic background.
Let's face it: If it wasn't for Queen Mary's slightly neurotic collector's greed a mere 100 years ago, the British jewels wouldn't twinkle half as much... and most of what they have was still grabbed from impoverished relatives dear old Queen Mary took advantage of.
As for the Dutch collection, well... for the most part, IMO none of their pieces are very beautiful to look at, and period!
The Danish Royal jewels are great and IMO the only seroius competition to the Swedish ones, asthetically. It's quality that counts not quantity.
So let me revert to the original subject... Worst jewels.
Those terrible Swedish Button tiaras, 4 here, 6 there: To dismantle those and put them in a new setting as one tiara with a decent diamond base (they have diamond collet necklaces galore which they rarely use): Yes I agree that somebody should get their hands on it, because it's perfectly possible to convert this perfect 'Worst Royal Jewels' example into something very beautiful.
As far as what Thomas Parkman calls the Swedish 'Ruby Horror' - it looks much nicer as a necklace which it converts into, and I'd prefer this one over several other ruby tiaras anytime, including QE II' 1970's 'Burmese Ruby Disco Horror' or that chunky Dutch Mellorio Ruby 'No Trespassing!' Fence tiara thing!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Courtier

Dear Boris,

I completely understand your assessement. The Swedes do have a spectacular collection indeed with some wonderful goodies and some true plug uglies. I will defer to your judgement about the ruby thing. It may indeed be a beautiful necklace. About the sublime neck of the glorious Madeline I am sure it would shine like something fabulous.

I agree with you about the Dutch royal collection. Most of it is well, so as you put it not very beautiful and I would describe it as just plain ugly.

The Danes have of course the incredible Princess Mary with her Desiree Clary Parure. Thank God she fellout with Napoleon and married one of his more astute -or lucky-marshall's instead.

I used to agree with you about the Burmese Ruby Disco Horror but upon looking at it further It begins to grow on you. I cannot make up my mind between that and the Oriental Circlet. And yes, thank God for Queen Mary, neurosis greed and all. What would have happened to all those priceless pieces of jewelry if she had not rescued them. There is for example a wonderful pearl parure of Queen Marie of Rumania that was grabbed by the comunists and you may be sure has long since been destroyed and the gems either stolen and sold or just sold.

Besides, dear Boris you do not need to beg anybody's pardon here for your opinions. I am not one of those fragile sensitive souls who will melt if you should say something that I find offensive (God how I hate, loathe, detest and despise that word, my other hate,l, d and d work is inappropriate) or with which I disagree. In the case of say that Swedish multi jewel state fair display rack worn by the marvelous Princess Lillian, somebody at some time must have thought it wonderful or Gustav V and consort would not have paid the fortune that it must have cost and the good Margaret of Connaught wouldnot have worn the thing. So there you are . Cheers.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Nobility

It seems to me that the words 'worst' and 'jewels' should never be in the same sentence :)!! That said, I don't much like the button tiaras. If any jewelry can be said to be frumpy, that would be it.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Courtier

You are entirely correct

Well, I could not aggeree with you more!!! It is not the gemstones themselves, some of which are quite lovely indeed, but the design and usage to which they have been put. In addtion to that there is the particular cut of the gem in question. I am not wild about cobouchon gemstones but am willing to admit there are some truly stunning settings, ie the Princess Vladimir Delhi Durbar parure and the emerald set of Queen Anne Marie or the emerald parurue of the Empress Farah. But so many lovely things have been put to such poor usage. Cheers.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Nobility

http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/gall...rttemberg.html

This would be lovely without those STARS.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dear Thomas Parkman, your message warms my heart! The one thing that gives me a headache about these otherwise most enjoyable boards is that some souls out there do suffer from severe ego problems whenever anyone is of a different opinion on a subject matter which should not be imperative to anybody's self-esteem but just a matter interest, fun and the love of beauty - strange people like us do find beauty in those heartless stones, their history and their strangely soulful glitter...
In other words: Okay, I give in & give up, that Swedish 'oriental' necklace is a piece of sentimental crap and the sooner they tear it apart the better (They won't).
I'd still love to see the Swedish ruby tiara worn again before I'm ready to succumb to your 'thumbs down' opinion about this one.
All in all, rubies seem to me to be the ideal candidates for this 'Worst jewels' thread as far as colored stones go, aren't they? Just for the sheer fun for it, let me come up with a list:
The Dutch Mellorio ruby tiara: Regrettably awful, a 'No Trespassing' sign wasting great stones...
The Spanish ruby tiara/necklace hasn't been seen in decades, and for a good reason too...
The Greek ruby tiara has a lot of diamond leafs but those small pale rubies get completely lost in them...
The 'Oriental' British tiara formerly worn by The Queen Mother looks like a design from somebody who had a very bad trip to Morocco and regretted it afterwards, therefore the style of those ugly arches and crosses...
The modern QE II's Burmese ruby disco horror maybe deserves a second look as you suggest but I have such a hard time trying - if it's not 70's disco, I fear it's about a strawberry desert, and I never liked strawberrys either...
And then there's the Danish ruby parure. Qualifying all over every MB as the very best. Wonderful necklace, earrings, brooch... I adore every single piece of it as worn by CP Mary, who is a real class act and somehow learned to carry anything off with admirable elegance. But at a closer look, the tiara of this ruby parure isn't much to write home about: Small, pale rubies - flat, dull diamonds - bad base.
Bottom line: Ruby tiaras represent a problem! As far as coloured stones go, rubies seem to qualify as the most likely candidate for 'Worst Jewels' in any Royal collection...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Courtier

Dear Boris,

The overall effect of the Danish ruby parure is quite understated but very powerful. What you may not know is that the gemstones in it have not been heated. They are the natural colour of real rubies of the highest quality. Nowadays they heat the rubies to bring out the redness and that in my opinion is what makes them too gaudy and too overdone, literally. They literally stick them in an oven and bake them. Horrors.

Of course if you went and bedecked the gorgeous head, not to mention the rest of her most Royal Person of the princess Madelaine with the Swedish Ruby Tiara, I would no doubt be totally bewitched.

I noted the noble Tinikas suggestion and removed, in my minds eye the stars from the Wurtemburg tiara and Good Lord, the woman is right. It really could be a nice piece of jewelry.

As for rubies in general, they are like the colour red in general, when it is good it is very, very good and when it is not good it can be awful. So all gemstones should be handled with that elusive quality called taste, rubies, the most difficult with the greatest care and discretion.

I cannot agree with you about the Oriental Circlet. I think that perhaps the rubies are just a little too understated, but since I do not care for opals I think rubies could only be an improvement. In case you do not know Queen Alexandra had the original opals removed and replaced with rubies. A member has suggested that black opals instead would be wondrously elegant. Perhaps.

As I have said maybe with further consideration you may begin to look more kindly on the Burmese ruby tiara. All said that is why rubies are an interesting challenge. And they can be very beautiful indeed. And as you well understand it is that instant, that hit of the beautiful that has all of us here besotted. And filled with delight.

And if there are a few overly sensitive egos here, (I have been on the recieving end of that and it is not much fun) still even they share the same joy and interest we do and therefore should be treated, whether they disagree or agree with us or not, they should be treated with kindness. Cheers.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Courtier

The facial expression says it all. Now I am not saying I highly detest this tiara, because these emeralds are better than those frigid pearls that she usaully wears ontop of this tiara that make Maxima look like the ice queen from Narnia. But this still is a bad look, the base of the tiara is horrible and should be changed immediately or melted down as Thomas would say. The choker is not that bad but again, I think this shouldn't be a choker. To me it would look better hanging down on a diamond chain not squeezed around her neck. Poor Maxima, she should get a new tiara, bought for her, she is so pretty but those Dutch jewels, errrr, they frustrate me.

http://img289.imageshack.us/my.php?i...axima2atp7.jpg
Old 10-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
.... Madeline is one of those creatures who could wear a garbage can on the top of her drop dead gorgeous blond head and she would still look good. I do not know whether she had Diana's charisma or whatever it was, but she certainly has the looks.
Most honourable Thomas, I bow to your superior knowledge as, lets face it, Madeline is the quintessential 5'8" long legged blond bombshell, only with class. I mean you really have to have vaa vaa va boom to carry off the notorious "Cyclops" tiara of which she is inordinately fond.
As to the button tiaras, OK, in and of themselves, they are a total bust!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Poor Maxima, she should get a new tiara, bought for her, she is so pretty but those Dutch jewels, errrr, they frustrate me.
Dutch jewels are... ehm great in their own taste. Small floral motif tiara, Mellerio ruby parure, saphire parure... there are a lot of good things, but it looks to me that queen keeps the best pieces in her own
Maybe she should dig in family jewels better, little change them and it will be much better.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not a big fan of Dutch jewels. Maybe some single pieces but not all.
Sometimes I wonder are these jewels (specially tiaras) are so terrible or ladies doesn't know how to wore them...

Great link about Dutch jewels. http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/index.htm
You ca decide which are the best or worst.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Courtier

After looking at the site that magnik wrote i hafe to say that moste of the tiaras are hideous to look at.
I hope that when Maxima becom Queen she woud change them alot.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

which do you all find so hideous?

to me only the emerald tiara, especially done with the pearls is ugly and the triangular motive tiara should never be worn as a tiara again. The sunray tiara isn't a huge succes either, but when Maxima places it against her hair it is ok.

Most tiara's are ok (not great or elegant) IMO, and some even pretty (Anna Pavlovna's pearl tiara and the diamond bandeau the most elegant ones IMO)
Old 10-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Courtier

[quote=Marengo]which do you all find so hideous?

Well i donīt like the Ruby Peacock Parure because it is to big and ther is to many stribes in it.

I also donīt like the Stuart Diamond Parure it is simply to big for the head of Queen Juliana and Queen Wilhelmina.
And donīt get me startet with the Queen Emma's Diamond Parure it is so not rigth to give a lady sutch a gift

I am also not fun of the Wedding Gift Parure agin it is way to big.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
After looking at the site that magnik wrote i hafe to say that moste of the tiaras are hideous to look at.
I hope that when Maxima becom Queen she woud change them alot.
I beg to differ. While certainly some of the jewels of the House of Orange are out of date, the majority are splendid. I give them credit for actually wearing their pieces instead of letting them collect dust.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Well i donīt like the Ruby Peacock Parure because it is to big and ther is to many stribes in it
Well I like Ruby Peacock Parure. Because tiara can be worn in bad and good ways.. and I think that on this picture it isn't that bad: http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau...iara%2001a.JPG
But it's only my oppinion.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Royal Highness

I think any tiara can look wonderful, with the right hairstyle. To me, when the tiara is perched on top, like the bride-groom decorations on a wedding cake, it looks awful regardless of the amount of jewels it has.

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels