The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
This is definitely an interesting tiara. I wouldn't classify it as beautiful. What do you guys think? The name I'm not sure of but it belongs to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. Does anyone know the name?

Source: Geoffrey C. Mann/Tiara: A History of Splender

(ImageShack)

Old 09-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
This is definitely an interesting tiara. I wouldn't classify it as beautiful. What do you guys think? The name I'm not sure of but it belongs to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. Does anyone know the name?
From Mr Munn, p241: A tiara from the Devonshire Parure, a suite of seven monumental pieces of jewellery for Countess Granville to wear in Moscow when her husband represented Queen Victoria at the coronation of Tsar Alexander II in 1856... It should be noted that the intaglios and cameos are of the greatest importance and finest quality."

cameo: a small piece of onyx or other hard stone carved in relief with a background of a different colour.
intaglio: a gem with an incised design.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

It should also be noted that many of the precious gems have been removed so that the effect now of these works cannot be fully appreciated. Looking at a frame of gold with all those empty holes is not a happy experience. I personally have found the whole parure just beyond me. It is in a medieval or renaissance style or possibly a heavy Victorian take off on those styels that I do not care for at all. The set is quite massive both in size, complexity and quantity and quality of the jewels, gems and art work.

Upon further consideration I must say that my original impression may be distorted due to the removal of so many of the no doubt quite brilliant gems, which is really a pity. It is bad enough to have to judge things from photographs but to see the ruined frames at best is even worse so that what one sees is unbalanced, to say the least.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
(sigh...) Fuerstin Gloria von Thurn und Taxis does have some really amazing (and beautiful) jewellery. I think that in most cases it was simply a casualty of the "punk princess" taste in 1980's couture. (Although I have to agree that the Diamant Collier is atrocious). Alas, the beautiful diamond and pearl tiara that she wore to her wedding (and again to a birthday costume party for her husband) has been returned to France, as it had belonged to the empress Eugenie.
She wore Eugenie's tiara in a well-known photo and it lookd ghastly. Gloria wore it with some poofy hairdo while Eugenie wore it with her hair much shorter.

This also makes me think of the Brunei ladies with the busy clothes that almost wash out their jewels. The jewels seem to be gorgeous, but they're lost in the clutter.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm
This also makes me think of the Brunei ladies with the busy clothes that almost wash out their jewels. The jewels seem to be gorgeous, but they're lost in the clutter.
Agree, in fact the only royals with any taste in clothing are the minor Bruneian royals. You can check out P Huda's wedding photos, her elegant and simple dress and jewellry and compare it with P Sarah's wedding photos..who looks the most stunning?

P Huda. Her jewellery is not big or bulky like Sarah's but then Sarah's jewellry could hardly be seen...she may as well not have bothered wearing any jewellry. Or chose simpler clothing like P Huda.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Huda

I agree Zina! Her wedding dress is spectacularly lovely, far more so than the clothes of her family members.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
As for the Wurtemburg thinge, it has such a harmless ugliness about it that one almost finds charming. It is just the sort of thing that one would wear in the role of the good witch in Hansel and Gretel or as the Princess Pet on her ice cream planet if one were going to a young child's birthday party. Of course if you were to wear it as part of a costume in drag or to a Halloween party you would run the rish of being run down by on going traffic, plastered to death with Halloween candy or even hunted down and murdered in the street with beer bottles. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
I think if someone photoshopped the stars off of it, it would look similar to this tiara worn by Queen Elizabeth II - http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1132963512

The stars would make interesting brooches or worn alone in one's hair.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
very special, but I really don't like it. Some kind of star-trek tiara...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Actually it seems to be a Victorian take off on a medieval or renaissance style that would impress even the extremely rich Byzantine and oriental opulence of the Russian Imperian Court, which went into some pretty heavy, massive jewelry. Much of which is just too much for my taste.

In fact most of it is hideous, too big, too massive and must have given the poor ladies wearing the stuff headaches galore. There are of course some glorious things, now in the possession of the BRF. The Princess Vladimir being the prize example.

The suite consists of seven massive pieces of jewelry from which the gems have been extracted for one reason or another and so one cannot really judge the total effect. But I think the thing is definately overdone. Believe me with that stuff on your head it really would be hard to head for outer space, I suppose the Duchess of Devonshire or whomever had to have neck braces and massive supports to hold her clothes on when she put all that stuff on. Can you imagine, at your grand kow tow to His Imperial Majesty, the Czar and Autocrat of all the Russias bedecked in jewels and clothes sufficient to pay the national debt you bow just wrong and all your clothes fall off due to the wieght of all that jewelry and there you stand in your bra and bloomers with THAT contraption stuck around your neck.

A truly historic moment indeed. Cheers.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm
She wore Eugenie's tiara in a well-known photo and it lookd ghastly. Gloria wore it with some poofy hairdo while Eugenie wore it with her hair much shorter.

Please don't take this personally, but I disagree with both of your points.

I believe you are referring to the pictures of Fuerstin Gloria at an eighteenth-century costume party, in honour of her husband's birthday. It is not a fair venue to judge how she wears the piece in more usual circumstances. However, I do think that the piece went very well with the decadent nature of the costume, and I think the princess carried it off very well. You may also want to find the pictures of Gloria at her wedding, for which she also donned the Eugenie pearl tiara. It looks beautiful and her hair is, as you said, much closer to the head.

On another note, I think that the Brunei jewels are some of the most repulsive in the world. They show no taste, and are far too abstract in design for my taste. The effect that they have on me is rather akin to watching cheap beauty queen tiaras; they tend to look fake.

Once again, no personal attacks, just an opinion...
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
On another note, I think that the Brunei jewels are some of the most repulsive in the world. They show no taste, and are far too abstract in design for my taste. The effect that they have on me is rather akin to watching cheap beauty queen tiaras; they tend to look fake.

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, it's clear that, for all their money, the Brunei family can't buy taste. Their choices are tacky at best: that wedding tiara of bride (Sarah?) looked indeed like a cheap copy of a miss World pageant contest; I mean, can you say totally tacky?! And her bridal bouquet was made out of gold and diamonds, but instead of "classy", it merely said, "cash". To which I say, yeehaw! Not! I mean, by now the whole planet is aware that these people have money galore: no need to remind us in such a tastless way, ugh. This is not politically correct to say, but I'll say it anyway: seems to me that some of these Asian upper class families are trying so hard to emulate western class, they go way overboard and totally miss the mark.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Aristocracy

I Googled on "Gloria Thurn Taxis wedding" and found a teeny picture, the same picture found when searching "Gloria Thurn Taxis." From what I could see without an electron microscope, she did look very nice in the Eugenie tiara.

Asian tastes are different from Western, but I believe the Brunei royals have overdone the glitter. Take a look at pictures of showy ladies and you'll find the jewels on plainer fabric to show them off, even in the ostentatious Renaissance (Elizabeth or various French queens) or pre World War I (Queens Alexandra and Mary and Tsarina Maria Fyodorovna) eras.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Courtier

Although I think the Brunei jewels are ostentatious and very flashy, I don't think anything to do with taste or trying to copy western style. Asian style is Asian style. Designs are going to be different from western designs and that's just a different viewpoint of jewelry. Different cultures mark their wealth in different ways. The tiaras and crowns of Europe are a display of wealth.Even if in construction, the western jewelry is a bit simpler, the materials they use are top-notch metals and the most perfect stones. ALL jewelry is a display of wealth, no matter the design and culture that it's from.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Courtier

LOL Yes I agree as well, her wedding tiara was tacky. I hope she inherits some beautiful jewels on down the line. Maybe soon.. wink wink.
I have a question: Is it tradition in the Brueni family to carry that gold and diamond bridal bouquet? Or was it made just for her for the wedding?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Courtier

Re the Brunei royals, I think the jewelry is something of a mixed bad of tricks. Some are truly magnificent and some of a lesser level. However the problem really seems to be all those clothes. All those brightly colored clothes and completely covering the hair simply blocks out or buries the effect of the jewelry, so much of which is quite impressive. If they would restrain the clothing or the coloring of the materials it would create a much more effective and memorable presentation.

After all there is so much "oriental' taste that while different from "western" or European taste is still quite impressive and tasteful to persons with a western temperament or background.

It all seems a missuse of some wonderful jewelry. And as is the case with European royalty some of the ladies in question are quite attractive indeed. If they would only do something about those awful clothes. cheers.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Asian upper class families are trying so hard to emulate western class, they go way overboard and totally miss the mark.
This is always a problem with the "new money" of the world, regardless of content or culture. It is, however, more pronounced in non-western cultures as they become acculturated and often "miss the mark," as you say.

For a better example of Asian taste, see the jewellery of Empress Michiko and the Japanese imperial family. Often, the Fushimi-no-miya express more reserved tastes than those of Europe (see Queen Silvia of Sweden, esp. in the 1980's).
Old 10-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Courtier

Well I saw this necklace and I believe it's right up there with the "street light dog collar" in the Thurn and Taxis collection, seen here http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...uby-choker.htm. Poor Princess Lilan had the wear the hanging street light necklace. Such a pretty tiara (but with a better hairstyle) but such a waste of good jewels on this necklace.

It's the first picture, you can't miss it.
http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Sweden/Lilian/lilian.htm
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with you!
I don't understand how can she breathe when she has those stones around her neck... and also that hairornament is too bad.
I like Princess Lilian's necklace more than the fist one, but it would show much better, if there would only stones of one colour.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the Swedish laurel leaf tiara is in fact quite pretty, it just doesn't go well with Princess Lilian's hairdo, especially when placed this 'straight' instead of a slightly backwards angle.
As for the 'street light' necklace, it's really difficult to wear considering its length and hard to combine with the right dress because of the multitude of colors, but the oriental style is interesting and the provenance of it very sweet: It was a gift to CP Margaret from her in-laws, representing Egypt where Margaret and her furure husband first met - see the beautiful page on Ursulas site:

http://royal-magazin.de/sweden/crown...s-necklace.htm

I wouldn't count either piece among 'worst Royal jewels' at all. IMO the Bernadotte collection of jewels is the most beautiful around, with the notable exception of the two button tiaras which certainly qualify.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Courtier

My God, Boris, without getting into a first class spat I must respectfully disagree. That necklace thing is absolutely hideous. To mix all those disparate colors is just too much, too daudy, to everything. That is why discretion and taste and a degree of understatement are absolutely necessary. These things can be overdone you know, which is why we have the worst royal jewels. I can only hope that it looks better in real life than in a photo because it is awful, simply awful.

The tiara is not too bad but then the Swedes have some first class plug uglies in their collection, starting with those ridiculous button tiaras. But then they have the lovely fringe tiara, the Connaught and of course the Leuchtenburg, even if that is overvbalanced. But that necklace. They need to take the thing apart and figure out something else to do with all those gemstones. Cheers.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels