Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the worst royal jewels, is the tiara Princess Maxima used in here wedding. Awful!!!! The tiara look so fake...

Atene said:
I think the worst royal jewels, is the tiara Princess Maxima used in here wedding. Awful!!!! The tiara look so fake...

It did glitz and glam anyway. There are two sets of diamond stars stars, which were very en vogue around 1850-1880 (think about Sissi's diamond stars).

One set of 6 diamond stars came from Princess Amalia da Gloria Augusta of the Netherlands, Princess of Sachsen-Weimar und Eisenach (1830-1872).

Another set of 6 diamond stars came from Princess Marie zu Wied, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1841-1910).

Both sets of stars (I don't know which one Princess Máxima used) are at least 140-150 years old and are definitely no plastic.

:lol:

Henri M. said:
... and are definitely no plastic. :lol:
Fake doesn't necessarily imply plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Members,

You must understand that we have all missed the boat on this one. Can you imagine, just a moment, all the gorgeous and not so gorgeous ladies of sufficient rank-38 of them-at the Halloween Party to end all Halloween Parties. Each bedecked in one of these monstrous or maybe not so monstrous horrors. They could do it for charity and save the lives of thousands of the poor starving whereever.

I do not care what anybody says but that Thurm and Taxis number with the Wurtemburg State Fair Ruby Horror would just take the cake. We need to get the Lady K, strictly for laughs to start putting all of this together. Perhaps doll Gloria up not only in that ghastly necklace she has on but plot the WSFRH on top of her very very clever little German head and see the results.
Even worse add a few of Queen MIIs poppies to the mix.

One can only hope the Current Prince has inherited her brains and his fathers good luck (given Papa T and Ts extracurricular interests)in finding just the right woman. Objectivity in these matters does not hurt and seems to be the last thing on earth that most men ever think about. Cheers.

Lady K, where are you when we need you. Perhaps you should undertake a massive photoshopping orgy along these lines ...

Thomas Parkman said:
Dear Members, You must understand that we have all missed the boat on this one...
TP you really do have some evil thoughts! :devil:
Just to stir the pot a bit I have a little suggestion...... perhaps the Countess of Fredricksborg (Alexandra) should return the Diamond Drop Tiara and take the glorious poppies instead. She is obviously not going to have much need for a head ornament when accompanying the "Toy Boy" so she would have the monetary value without depriving us of a lovely piece of jewellery. :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now, that's just cruel.:D

It'll be the last time a Danish royal lady gets divorced, I should think, if those things are the consolation prize.

Ah dear members, what is the old saying:

The only difference between men and boys is that men have the more expensive toys. At least The Princess A's toy is pretty, which definately cannot be said about the horrors cited above. Of course the divine Mary and the magnificent Frederick are so magnificent that they could never part. That would be a total catastrophe. Cheers.

I was just on a lovely website about the Orange Nassau jewels
http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/index.htm

and I have to say that my opinion about Maxima's wedding tiara (with the stars) has changed. Maybe its because I just really like Maxima but I like this tiara. Yes, we can say it looks like a fireworks explosion on her head, that's true. But, it is whimsical and a touch romantic. Is it my favorite? Not at all, but I don't think it is one of the worst. Again, I am reiterating my opinon of worst designed tiara to be the second Spencer tiara and also the Westminster pearl tiara (I mean come on, even the lady dressed all in white doesn't look happy to have it on). If the teardrop spikes weren't used, it would resemble a button tiara, but it would be quite attractive as compared to how it looks now--
here's a link:
Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herzöge

Janet

Re Westminster Pearl Tiara

Perhaps if the teardrop elements were turned upside down it would look better?

Wymanda,
I think you're on to something there! It would be a dramatic improvement at the very least!

Dear People,

I think I had somebody try that before and it just did not work. For some strange reason these incredibly gorgeous pearls just do not work in an ensemple. The whole thing needs to be taken apart and started over. but the pearls are absolutely gorgeous. Lady K, can I drag you away from the great Halloween project that I have so evilly put into your brilliant head and put you onto this one.

The teardrops would make a lovely necklace I think, with additions for the earings. then add in some more diamonds and pearls to the round pearls for a tiara. but as it is the thing stinks to high heaven. Cheers.

The Westminster Pearl Tiara: Okay, that's not the worst tiara ever, but it's not the best either. It looks like someone tried to convert a necklace-not-meant-to-be-converted-into-a-tiara into a tiara. But I guess it's wearable if it's the only one you have. Who owns this one anyways (royal familywise)?

Last edited:
RubyPrincess168 said:
The Westminster Pearl Tiara: Okay, that's not the worst tiara ever, but it's not the best either. It looks like someone tried to convert a necklace-not-meant-to-be-converted-into-a-tiara into a tiara.
Star trekking across the universe. Always going forward, 'cos we can't find reverse! Oh star trekk..........:ROFLMAO:

OK. Sorry guys, I lost the plot for a moment there. But hey, what else can you say about that photo? :ohmy: Beam me up Scottie? :wacko:

That tiara is just plain nasty. Either the pearls are so large as to be considered vulgar and tastless, or, just a thought, the stick figure model's head is way too small! :D

It doesn't look so bad with the pearls drops removed from the top.

I don't think the Westminster pearl tiara is so bad. At least none of the other girls would have one! And given a choice between the tiara and Camilla's new "breastplate", give me the tiara, please!

If the spikes were removed, I would really like it, because the pearls are beautiful! And, Iowabelle-you are soooooo right--no one else has anything like it. I do think I would prefer it to Camilla's newest piece--while spectacular, it just isn't my taste. Wouldn't mind a couple of the rubies, though. Nice earrings could be made.

Given the condition ??? or should I say the display of the ahem bosoms of the Camilla of the interesting Past in the massive Arab ruby diamond ruby neck scarf, how could anybody call that contraption a breastplate. sorry but I must stop here. My evil and perverted mind is beginning to consider the various possibilities those words imply. A royal doulton plate of finest china, bedecked with rubies, hmmmm.

As for the pearl thing, as a button tiara it is an incredible bore. they need to take the thing apart and start over. Maybe some nice earings and a necklace or two and forget the tiara idea or go out and get some more pearls and start over.

I think Thomas Parkman and I disagree about the ruby necklace and the pearl tiara. And I still think that ruby and diamond necklace recently sported by Camilla looks like a piece of armor! :flowers:

While I tend to agree that the majority of button tiaras are a bit, well, lacking in panache, given what the pearl tiara looks like now, it has the potential to be an improvement. I think, if properly done, those spikes could become a fairly decent looking necklace, and possibly some earrings could happen, also. While I am one who generally hates the idea of dismantling historic pieces--if theyr'e ugly I can look the other way once in a while!

As for Camilla's necklace--one has to admit that it is something! All those diamonds, all those rubies--truly a fortune in gems. That being said, Camilla rarely errs when it comes to her jewelry (her hats, sometimes) so I will admit that it is not my favorite piece that she wears. I prefer her in emeralds. But, she's a brave one to wear that necklace. I'm a strand of pearls girl myself--less is more--but then again, I don't have the Queen's vaults to rummage through, either.

And Thomas, really, you have such a wicked imagination! :ROFLMAO:

im really like Westminster pearl tiara because looks good tiara like CP Maxima's wedding tiara not same almost!

what you saying about Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall's breastplate! but Camilla's ruby necklace looks HUGE! i cant image!

Nice call about Camilla's Ruby "Breastplate"! I'm a little confused as to whether it's considered C's personal jewelry and therefore can be passed on to her children, or if it's considered a gift from a head of state and therefore on loan from the Crown. If it's a loaner and reverts back to the Crown after Charles death, I'm hoping William's wife breaks that thing up!

As for the Westminster Pearl Tiara, if you look farther down on the link provided, you can see it in it's case with the spikes resting below the base. You could very easily picture it as a necklace! And it's much nicer that way. Love the Star Trek reference though! LOL!

I think that the "breastplate" was a gift to the crown (don't quote me) and that Camilla has the use of it until she dies. I think I remember reading something to that effect before, but I have no doubt that Warren or Elspeth can clear it up for us.
Sara, it appears that you and I are in the minority about Maxima's tiara--I love it because it is both historic and whimsical. Now, when Maxima is around 45, she'll look silly in it, but for now, she looks lovely. But, I don't see where there are any similarities between the Westminster Pearl Tiara and Maxima's Wedding Tiara, other than the upright feature.

RubyPrincess168 said:
Nice call about Camilla's Ruby "Breastplate"! I'm a little confused as to whether it's considered C's personal jewelry and therefore can be passed on to her children, or if it's considered a gift from a head of state and therefore on loan from the Crown.

You're not the only one to wonder. At first, Clarence House stated it was a private gift from a Saudi Arabian prince (which is not unusual for members of the royal family) during their state visit. Later, when the newspapers started to question whether The Duchess had paid duty on it, the story was changed to the ruby necklace being a gift to the Crown and therefore, not subject to taxes.

It probably was a personal gift, but The Duchess certainly can request the piece be designated as part of the royal collection for future queens to wear, assuming The Queen agreed.

Well, considering that Camilla isn't likely to be in the position where she needs to flog that necklace because she's short of a few bob, and considering that she isn't likely to leave something that big and showy to her own children, especially since it was given to her in her capacity as Charles's wife, I don't know why they didn't just characterise it as an official gift to the Crown from the start and avoid all this confusion. Someone at Clarence House really isn't quite on the ball with some of these decisions.

branchg said:
It probably was a personal gift, but The Duchess certainly can request the piece be designated as part of the royal collection for future queens to wear, assuming The Queen agreed.

Let's hope they have it re-designed before blessing some unfortunate girl with it in the future.

Elspeth said:
Well, considering that Camilla isn't likely to be in the position where she needs to flog that necklace because she's short of a few bob, and considering that she isn't likely to leave something that big and showy to her own children, especially since it was given to her in her capacity as Charles's wife, I don't know why they didn't just characterise it as an official gift to the Crown from the start and avoid all this confusion. Someone at Clarence House really isn't quite on the ball with some of these decisions.

Because there is no such thing as an "official gift" unless it is presented to The Sovereign in their capacity as Head of State. The last gift received in this manner was the Aquamarine Parure from the State of Brazil in honour of Her Majesty's Coronation in 1953, although The Queen probably has specified in her Will many other gifts she received during her reign as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it.

All other gifts of jewelry to members of the royal family are their personal property to do as they wish. So, it's not a good idea to try and snow the public on that one.

Well, really - if a gift is extravagant enough, it could bankrupt the recipient in import duty. I mean, even Charles and Camilla might not be able to come up with the sort of cash it'd take to make the spoils of a Middle Eastern tour legal. And if they're on that tour representing the Queen, then the gifts they're receiving aren't really just personal gifts; they're gifts to the royals because they're royal.

Thomas Parkman said:
Given the condition ??? or should I say the display of the ahem bosoms of the Camilla of the interesting Past in the massive Arab ruby diamond ruby neck scarf, how could anybody call that contraption a breastplate. sorry but I must stop here. My evil and perverted mind is beginning to consider the various possibilities those words imply. A royal doulton plate of finest china, bedecked with rubies, hmmmm.

As for the pearl thing, as a button tiara it is an incredible bore. they need to take the thing apart and start over. Maybe some nice earings and a necklace or two and forget the tiara idea or go out and get some more pearls and start over.
I've come to the conclusion that pearls really just don't belong in a tiara, period. Why? They just don't go..maybe because those pearls, all lined up next to one another, more than vaguely resemble a big set of teeth. Worn on someone's head! Ugh.
Nothing should upstage the wearer's <real> smile, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom