The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Whoa! Dear Thomas, I'd suggest a nice cup of tea. :)

Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm always amazed the way Thomas put all that things together in one post, wow!
And someone *thomas cough* needs to stay away from the coffee from now on, ok?

Old 05-15-2006, 05:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

ha ha , just needed to vent did you Thomas?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Courtier

(sigh...) Fuerstin Gloria von Thurn und Taxis does have some really amazing (and beautiful) jewellery. I think that in most cases it was simply a casualty of the "punk princess" taste in 1980's couture. (Although I have to agree that the Diamant Collier is atrocious). Alas, the beautiful diamond and pearl tiara that she wore to her wedding (and again to a birthday costume party for her husband) has been returned to France, as it had belonged to the empress Eugenie.

Hmmm...I really wonder why, with everyone going on about that--interesting tiara of Queen Rania's--has anyone noticed the other one that she wears? I don't think I have a link to it, but I'm sure it's in the galleries. It is a very abstract pattern of sharp verticle lines that come to a point floating above her head (most of the tiara does not rest on the head at all). I understand that the fashions popular in the Middle East may not be the same as those of the western monarchies, but it really just looks like someone scribbled a line over her head.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Courtier

But, my dear Warren, that is just the problem. I am not suppose do to take much sugar. So how can you have a decent cup of tea without 1. Good Enlish tea 2. lots of half and half as cream is just a bit rich and 3 SUGAR? and decent amount of that too. It is just not done. Plus I am off of the housewine of the South, Sweet Tea, which the Enlish abominate. So I am now venting my spleen and bile on the head of the tasteless and brain dead Caroline. Poort thing. It is not so much what she does but HOW she does what she does. Dittto for the rest of the family and everybody else.

Further I cannot have chocolate as a result either. Do you have any idea what it is like not to have chocolate? So Perhaps somebody can concoct tiaras made of various kind of chocolate and other goodies. Edible jewelry anyone?? Yes, I know this deprivation has finally gone to my brain. Where are the little men with the white coats and needles when you need them? Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

This web page has two tiaras from the Royal family of Iran. The first one is ok, but could you imagine any Queen actually wearing it? and the second one is just simply hideous!

http://www.iranchamber.com/museum/ro...n_jewels04.php
Old 05-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Serene Highness

That second one looks like something a character from Star Wars would wear. And the first one consists of so much different stones that it definitely becomes very tacky. Two tiara's who most certainly belong in this thread, if you ask me... :p
Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
This web page has two tiaras from the Royal family of Iran. The first one is ok, but could you imagine any Queen actually wearing it? and the second one is just simply hideous!

http://www.iranchamber.com/museum/ro...n_jewels04.php
Thank you Australian, I've been waiting for someone to put these tiara's in this thread. That first one is sooo gaudy, I mean come on, pink diamonds and yellow diamonds and then they threw those gigantic emaralds on top I'll never know. And what's with the widow's peak base? She isn't countess dracula. It looks like they just threw all these big expensive stones together just to show how much money they can spend a tiara. It's also very mis-matchy and gaudy and should be locked away in a vault or torn apart and have the diamonds sold so they can go on well designed tiara.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashed potatoes
it looks like a nice tiara, but it's placement on the head is all wrong.
i believe it should be placed higher on the head no?
However it could be a nice and clever way to conceal the seams of your wig.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Courtier

DEar Serene Highness,

The first jewel to which you refer was actually worn by the Empress Farah. I agree that it is not to my taste but it certainly is colorful. i would not call it hideous, but certainly if the good Empress chooses to wear it, well. Same with regard to Margarethe II and the poppy star trek horror. I for one have the highest regard for Queen Margarethe II and should she choose to wear that shall we say truly unforgetable work I for one would observe a polite but respectful silence. Of course a sense of humor would be a great help.

As for the second, it was a shah's hat ornament. They wore these magnificent jewels on their hats or turbans or whatever they wear in Iran. I think it is certainly striking. the late shah at his coronation wore his fathers army hat at the start of the ceremony which had a jewel, my brain fog has caused me to forget the name, which had in it a 107 carat diamond. There is one incredible 8 inch contraption that I just love and would almost give my eye teeth to get my hands on it with diamonds and a huge emeral in it. Now can you see me wearing a hat with that??? It would stop traffic. You must give these Iranians credit. They certainly belong to the Queen Mary school of jewelry. In any case Iran really has got to be a marvelous country, even if its politics are not to everybody's taste, including appearently a majority of the population. Any country that has invented both chess and sherry must be a shining light in the history of the world.

they also, I understand, have a those among them with a considerable sense of humor of which we seem to be having a shortage of lately around here. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Aristocracy

The Iranian crown jewels are spectacular, dazzling, over the top and as a result, not very wearable. I must agree that while I find them fascinating, as pieces of jewelry I don't find them that attractive so it is a testament to Farah Diba's beauty and majesty that she wore these jewels with such aplomb. She wore THEM, they didn't wear her!:)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Gentry

You're right there - tacky or no, I have a photograph (albeit in B&W) of her wearing the first tiara at her arrival at the White House for a banquet, hosted by JFK, and if I remember correctly she looked quite imperial indeed! Soon as I fish it out from somewhere, I shall upload it!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Go to, Oh most noble Fraxales. I agree that the Iranian jewels are definately making a statement. Now whether or not they are hideous or not is another matter. some of them are just so blatant that you cannot but help just adore the sheer gall of it. there is one jewel, I finally remembered late last night the name, is an eight inch diamond and emerald aigrette. It is a hat ornament. It is massive and absolutly beautiful. I would wear it and no doubt get both mugged and have the little men in white coats come after me with needles drawn, but I understand these Iranians and I would't care either. That is what makes and made the imperial Farah so well, imperial. cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Up,up and away! Too big for my taste, they should have take this down a little bit, maybe made the sapphire at the top a brooch. This is another one that goes under the "jeweled head ornament" catagory not the tiara catagory.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1117784884
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Courtier

Oh, most noble Amy, where on earth did you find That??? It looks like the good woman or should I say most royal personage has on two tiaras, one glued atop the other. She needs to saw or slice the thing in two like making a genoise And have two lovely jewels to wear instead of one. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Amy that is horrible! It's come to the point were they dont care about its looks but just how big they can get! lol
Old 05-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Up,up and away! Too big for my taste
But judging by her grin, Princess Gloria is enjoying the joke. She's just displaying some of the family trinkets.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Up,up and away! Too big for my taste, they should have take this down a little bit, maybe made the sapphire at the top a brooch. This is another one that goes under the "jeweled head ornament" catagory not the tiara catagory.

Is that 2 tiara's in one? Thats what it looks like. Was she in a room with other royals & they were trying to one-up each other: "My tiara's bigger than yours!" :p

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Well, good people, while poor Margarethe II is in knee surgery after her visit to Greece perhaps somebody could break into the royal vaults in Copenhagen and steal a handful of those poppy star trek things and glue or soder them onto the two hat tiara listed above. It might be hideous, It might be tasteless, it might be vulgar but it certainly would be unforgetable. It would certainly be in the running for the worst of all possible royal jewels. Cheers.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dear Members:
I went through this thread for the first time today and would like to thank you for all for the good laughs I had due to your sense of humor & everyone not taking this subject TOO seriously!
I can't resist to post my personal Top 5 of the ugliest tiaras around:
No. 1: Sophie of Wessex' wedding tiara, because it has everything - the worst possible design, the worst possible setting, worn in the worst possible way.
No. 2: The Swedish 4 button tiara - four dim floodlights on very visible pieces of wire. I too dream of what a lovely tiara all 10 buttons from the two button tiaras would make in a new setting.
No. 4: Queen Elizabeth II's modern aquamarine tiara - a pseudo-Arabian nightmare of a design, wasting beautiful stones.
No. 4: The Dutch Mellorio ruby tiara - so tacky that it looks like something Mattel would put on their next 'Princess Barbie'.
No. 5: The Luxemburg Nassau 'whopper' tiara - should be hidden away in the vaults strictly as an investment.
And then there are three that are beyond comprehension & just a joke:
No. 1: Queen Margarete's golden poppies, of course. The only excuse is that she might have a very bizarre sense of humor.
No. 2: That modern prison fence made of gold on top of Queen Sonja's head. If she has any taste, the moment she received it as a loving gift from her husband the King, she should have considered immediate divorce proceedings.
No. 3: CP Victoria's 18th birthday tiara - those tiny stones would hardly be enough for a small bracelet, let alone a tiara.
I totally disagree about the Swedish Napoleonic cut steel tiara. It's most unusual but the design is beautiful. It might not photograph well, but I once saw it on television, and the setting actually allows the cut steel wheat leaves to move slightly, which looks great but doesn't come across on pics.
One last comment: So much depends on the hairstyle really regarding all other tiaras. The more eleborate the tiara, the more elaborate the hairdo should be. That's why Queen Silvia for example manages very well wearing that not-so-beautiful massive 'whopper' wall of diamonds, the Braganca tiara.The only ones who got away wearing tiaras well with short hair in recent memory are Queen Sophia of Spain and the late Diana Princess of Wales, IMO. Queen Beatrix' golden helmet hairdo hides most of her tiaras to the point of making me wonder why she bothers to wear them at all.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels