The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I imagine some of the Arab, especially the Saudis, families have huge collections, they won't be as historic as some of the European or Indian collections but they will be huge nonetheless. The only main thing is that we the people, will never see them.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal House of Brunei probably has the largest and most valuable collection in the world, given their great wealth and fondness of collecting priceless jewels. No one really knows what the Saudi royal princesses have since they are rarely, if ever, seen in public, but given the many millions they spend each year on them, it's probably a close second.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:28 AM
Heir Apparent

"No one really knows what the Saudi royal princesses have since they are rarely, if ever, seen in public, but given the many millions they spend each year on them, it's probably a close second."

Very true, my uncle used to work as a doctor in Saudi Arabia and was hired as a private physician for a Saudi prince and his family. The stories he would recount when it came to jewellery were just amazing. The women would travel to London on their shopping trips and spend millions on jewels.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Royal Highness

My guess that it would be the House of Windsor. Any other thoughts?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are we only including extant royal houses? I remember in turkey at the museum where their royal jewels are exhibited, the docent talked about the Turkish Jewels being the most valuable in the world. Of course, I'm sure she was not impartial!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Nobility

I thought the Shah of Iran (though they are not currently ruling) had a most wonderful collection...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Courtier

To me, I love the British and Swedish jewels. Absolutely amazing.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

The Russian Imperial Jewels, which I guess a lot of them belong to the British now. The French and Spanish Jewels are nice too.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Serene Highness

My favorites are French (which are unfortunately in musem) British and Swedish
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

The Dutch!

Their collection of Tiaras is gorgeous!
The best is that many of the Dutch Tiaras are still in use!
We see Queen Beatrix and Princess Margriet with so many different tiaras. And just have a look at Princess Máxima! Compare her number of worn Tiaras with the one of the other european princesses!
She definitely has a great choice!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Danish jewels http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/index.html

Dutch http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/index.htm

British, Swedish (Pss Lilian), few German, Lechtenstein, Luxembourgian, Japanese
http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Europe%20mainpage.htm
http://swedish-royal-jewlery.blogspot.com/

Norwegian http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mor/kongelige.html

Enjoy
Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Commoner

I love a lot of the European jewels, some of them just because of the history behind them. But if I had to go with quality and quantity I'd say the jewels being sold by Christie's in November. They say it's from a Royal house and I'm pretty sure it's from the middle east somewhere (just like you speculated Little Star). Here are some suites and parures that are up for sale:

And finally the "piece de resistance", the Gulf Pearl Parure by Harry Winston:

To view the auction go to http://www.christies.com/departments...2006&location= and browse the November 14th auction. You may need to be a registered user to view the lots. Also, once the auction is over the pictures will be removed.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertiti
I love a lot of the European jewels, some of them just because of the history behind them. But if I had to go with quality and quantity I'd say the jewels being sold by Christie's in November. They say it's from a Royal house and I'm pretty sure it's from the middle east somewhere (just like you speculated Little Star). Here are some suites and parures that are up for sale:
Who is able to buy this somptuous pieces of jewelles and or kind of reception? That is absolutly sure it's not for a breakfast at tyffany!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Nobility

I have gone thru the sites cited in this thread on the Dutch & Danish Royal families' Jewelry and the pieces are marvellous! But IMHO, the British Royal Family still has the best collection of the Ruling Houses of Europe, followed by that of the Swedish Royal Family. I wonder, which pieces in the British collection are from the Romanov collection?, - as claimed by one poster. I thought that Queen Mary bought a tiara and other pieces originating from the Romanovs but not a bulk acqusition that one might infer.

A trend that was obvious was - the royal brides would often bring pieces to add to the 'kitty' of the royal houses they were marrying into. It makes for interesting reading when one follows the way some pieces of jewellery have moved from one family to another.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

There is a wonderful story, I will get the numbers all wrong, but one time a king of Saudi Arabia, I think it may have been King Fahd, summoned Harry Winston to bring him some diamond bracelets. Harry went over in the morning and sent them-some fifty five diamond bracelets, up to the king while he was having breakfast, the king that is, and after a while the king sent back word he was buying all of them and wanted twenty five more!!! (or was it a hundred?) in any case you may be sure that the noble H W was for once in his life probably flabbergasted. Cheers.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN
I have gone thru the sites cited in this thread on the Dutch & Danish Royal families' Jewelry and the pieces are marvellous! But IMHO, the British Royal Family still has the best collection of the Ruling Houses of Europe, followed by that of the Swedish Royal Family. I wonder, which pieces in the British collection are from the Romanov collection?, - as claimed by one poster. I thought that Queen Mary bought a tiara and other pieces originating from the Romanovs but not a bulk acqusition that one might infer.

A trend that was obvious was - the royal brides would often bring pieces to add to the 'kitty' of the royal houses they were marrying into. It makes for interesting reading when one follows the way some pieces of jewellery have moved from one family to another.
Queen Mary bought the Vladimir Tiara which was was previously owned by
Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna (the older), née Duchess of Mecklenburg and adapted the emeralds of her mother so that you can change the pearls in the Tiara with the emeralds.

But the british Royal family does not own so much complete Parures it are more Necklaces and Tiaras, if you compare the dutch Royal family has at last 5 perhaps 6 Parures
the Stuart diamond Parure, the Mellerio Ruby Parure, the Sapphire Parure, the Aquamarine Parure, the Emerald paruare and perhaps the Peacock Ruby Parure

the swedish Royal Family has at last 3
the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure, the Cameo Parure, the Ameythyst Parure

Royal Travel and Events

Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the Danes have six with two being the prominent parures.

Diamond & Emerald Crown parure
Queen Desiree Diamond & Ruby parure
Diamond demi parure
Diamond, Pearl & Ruby demi parure
Diamond belt demi parure
Diamond & Pearl Oranje-Nassau suite
Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Nobility

Yes the French used to have great jewels!I believe the British RF has the best collection today.What about Monaco's royals?Princess Grace used to have a nice collection too,i think that Caroline inherited them.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I think the Danes have six with three being the prominent parures.

Diamond & Emerald Crown parure
Diamond & Pearl Oranje-Nassau parure
Queen Desiree Diamond & Ruby parure
Diamond demi parure
Diamond, Pearl & Ruby demi parure
Diamond belt demi parure
But not all have a Tiara with it, i meant only these wo consists of Tiara, Necklace, Brooch, earrings etc. And the Orange-Nassau Pearl set is actually no Parure according to Bjarne Steen Jensen. It happes to be a Set of Jewelry in matching design.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK
My guess that it would be the House of Windsor. Any other thoughts?
I second that on you, there are vasts amounts that we have never seen, as ERII is simple in the way that she has her few favourates and has stuck with them over the years! She has Princess Alice of Greece's, the Queen mother, and Queen Mary's and Alexandra's personala and state owned jewels. Presents from various countries etc...Queen Sylvia, Margerethe,Beatrix, and Sonja have on the other hand not hidden any jewells

Tags
best jewels, collections, jewellery