Unidentified, Mystery and Lost Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strawberry Leaf

I believe this is the strawberry leaf tiara that she's wearing...it was later passed on to her daughter the Queen of Spain...at least I've seen photos of her wearing it...I'm not sure where it is now...trey

That is not the Strawberry leaf tiara but another one, sort of similar in style, but belonging to the Hesse family (which is logic since in the above picture Princess Alice is wearing it. She was married to Grand Duke Ludwig of Hesse und Bei Rhein.)

Plenty of pictures on Danjel's site:
http://nl.msnusers.com/RoyaltyDanjel/gerhessenw.msnw

Unknown Jewel

A poster to danjel's website posted this tiara and said he didn't know the information of the tiara. Any guesses?

Attachments

• tiara-unknown.jpg
    tiara-unknown.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8,314
Any connection?

Someone at the RJmb pointed out that the Iranian tiara is very similar, as if they had added yellow diamonds in place of pearls.What do you think?

Attachments

• iRANdIAMONDS.jpg
    iRANdIAMONDS.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2,784
  • tiara-unknown.jpg
    tiara-unknown.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,671
I think I'll add in with Elspeth, and say it looks vaguely Russian.

Fairly similar to something I think the Dowager Empress wore in a photoshoot with her sister, Queen Alexandra. But I can't seem to find the pictures of it, right now. It looks similar, as I remember it. But I can be wrong.

I've check in Tiara: A History of Splendor, Famous Jewelry Collectors, and Queen Elizabeth II's Jewels for the tiara. Nothing. If anyone has a copy of Queens' Jewels by Vincent Meylan, it might be in there.

This tiara is made by Köchert. The answer comes from Volker on Royal Jewels Message Board.

"Theophil von Hansen - an achitect(!!) and a friend of Köchert provided the designs for the beautiful diadem named "Byzantine" and for a swan parure composed if pendant and earrings. The artistry and craftsmanship manifested by the "Byzantine" diadem, with its harmonious juxtapositions of diamonds and pearls was judged impeccable and won for Köchert the first prize for jewellery at the World Exhibition in Vienna in 1873. Pictures of it frequently appeared - and still appear today - in ilustrated purblications in Germany, France, England and America.
Unfortunately the diadem was later dismantled!"

According to Geoffrey C. Munn's Tiaras - A History of Splendour (page 257), this tiara was made by Cartier for Adele, Countess of Essex in 1902. Lady Churchill borrowed this tiara from the Countess for the Queen's Coronation in 1953.

Thank you very much! I for some reason thought it was British royal tiara that hasnt been seen in awhile. Do you know if its for sale?

WOW! That is one spectacular tiara, does it belong to anyone? That would have looked great on Princess Diana. I hope someone buys it and puts it to good use if it's for sale. Beautiful!:)

Also borrowed and worn by Margarita of Romania at her 1996 wedding to Radu Duda.

Sean.~ said:
Also borrowed and worn by Margarita of Romania at her 1996 wedding to Radu Duda.

Sorry for the ignorance but if you want to wear it, you have to rent it or just borrow it?:eek::eek::eek:
Thank you very much

The Essex tiara is now owned by Cartier. It was loaned to (Crown) Princess Margarita of Romania for her wedding in 1996.

pic courtesy "Tiaras A History of Splendour" by Geoffrey Munn, Antique Collectors' Club 2001

The Essex Tiara

_ce1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To throw in my two cents: magnificent, just magnificent. I just hope that Cartier does not go out and perpetrate the vulgar example of Van Cleef and Arpels who removed the emeralds from the tiara of the Empress Marie Lousie and sold them off. They then sold the diamond studded frame to some American who had the thing bedecked with turquoises and then to compound the infamy gave it to the Smithsonian. I hope Cartier keeps the thing until somebody who will appreciate it comes along and buys it. Cheers.

Is there a picture of anyone wearing the Essex Tiara? I'm trying to picture someone wearing it but with no luck.:( It would have to sit up high right? so the bottom diamond could dangle down?

Essex Tiara

What a gorgeous tiara that is. Anyone interested in purchasing it for me? I would promise never to take it off!:D :D

tiara pic!

HRHAmy said:
Is there a picture of anyone wearing the Essex Tiara?
Well, yes...
pic courtesy Getty Images

(Crown) Princess Margarita of Romania 1996: Essex Tiara

4efe2a371a34c9b0f5ce9353796694cf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A simply stunning picture - thanks Warren. The Essex is fast becoming one of my favourite tiaras.

Warren said:
The Essex tiara is now owned by Cartier. It was loaned to (Crown) Princess Margarita of Romania for her wedding in 1996.
This tiara doesn' have visible base, so lovely. I don't realy like tiara base clearly visible while tiara is worn. The Essex tiara still looks gorgeous eventhough Princess Margaritha doesn't have very special hairdo. I think this kind of tiara can be worn on classy or modern hairdo without looking weird.

Pant, gasp, slurp, drool. I am now making a total fool of myself looking at that picture. A beautiful woman in a drop dead gorgeous tiara. But I don't care, I am just chortling with delight.

I do have one source of great frustration for which the long suffering and most noble Warren (hence to be known as Warren, LS, MN) must excuse me. People here keep posting these other sights and threads. On them are supposed to be all these fabulous goodies that everybody is talking about. Niow I admit freely and shamelessly that I am a cumputer mongoloid. But for the life of me could somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. Everytime I pull up say Daniel's thread in salivating anticipation in place of a tiara I see a black rectangle and an x in the corner with a description of what I am missing underneath.

Now to do such a thing to such a sensitive, fragile, frail and mentally challenged old fool and to deprive him of the one little happiness he has in his life, is this Kind , good people is this kind???? Cheers.

Dear Thomas, Danjel's site has been in a photo-less state for some time now, due to copyright issues. We all see the little boxes instead of the wonderful pics that used to be there. You are not doing anything wrong! :)

OMG! I am in love! Thank you Warren for the picture. Is it possible to fall in love with jewelry?:D I think it is, Oh well, as Marylin Monroe said "Men grow cold as girls grow old And we all lose our charms in the end But square cut or pear shaped
These rocks don't lose their shape Diamonds are a girl's best friend!":)

Last edited:
that quote from the semi divine Marylin is too good to be true. And yes I am in love with that glorious and outrageously beautiful contraption myself so do not feel in the least bit strange, unless of course you feel somewhat queasy to be in my company, but then a lot of people do that. And I could never wear it, Sigh, the little men in white coats would show up and that would be the end. Sob. Thomas Parkman

That is probably true Thomas but don't be afraid ;). I have two mystery tiara's that I can't figure out where they came from.

The first is the Tavistock ameythese tiara:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...images?q=royal+jewels&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N
source: royal-jewels4.tripod.com

And the second is this one:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/drewnan/hancocks_edwardian.jpg
source: members2.boardhost.com/.../msg/1135813678.html

I think they're abosolutely divine but I can't tell which royal house they came from. Please help!:)

HRHAmy, the Tavistock tiara is owned by the Duke of Bedford and is named after the title of the heir to the dukedom, that of Marquess of Tavistock. I read about it in the book Ancestral Jewels but that was a long time ago and this is all I can remember about it. It's such a stunning piece.:)
I haven't a clue about the second tiara but oh wow, it is beautiful!

The heirarchy of tiaras...

A few months ago we took the decision to keep the Royal Jewels Forum the preserve of Royal Jewels. The moderators moved out the non-Royal jewels (virtually all of which had appeared in the Christies, Sothebys etc auction sites) to the Tiaras/Necklaces/Jewels For Sale thread in Members' Corner.

To confine the Royal Jewels Forum and this "Unidentified and Mystery Tiaras" thread to jewels of Royal (or noble) provenance, I have moved the posts concerning the now-identified but non-Royal tiaras to the thread in Members' Corner.

thanks,
Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Camilla would look good in the Essex tiara, I think.

Back
Top Bottom