Unidentified, Mystery and Lost Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don’t worry, it’s still in the family! The crown was worn by Nathalie Frediani in May 2011, when she married Count Edward Bernadotte.
Getty Images - Suchen: nathalie frediani#

Thank you for the info. I tried to find better photos online but wasn't able to. I think this coronet is such a sweet piece. It reminds me of the Alexandrine drop tiara because when worn high it also looks like a coronet(hope I'm making sense here because I'm not as well versed in these things as other posters).

Yesterday I came across a photo of a tiara labeled as Boucheron, the Queen Mother's diamond coronet 1901. While I agree that tiara looks like Boucheron pieces from that time, I can't think of a Queen Mother who might have owned/worn it. Any information will be appreciated!
You can see the tiara here - Link

I just remembered that in 1921 a diamond tiara from Mrs. Greville's collection (pictured in Roberts' The Queen's Diamonds) was dismantled to make the tiara that was commonly worn by Queen Elizabeth and now by The Duchess of Cornwall. Perhaps this is the original tiara? I don't have the book, but perhaps s.o. who has it can confirm/deny this theory.

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we can stop talking about the "missing" Greek Tiara, aka: Queen Sophie's Tiara, aka: Queen Frederika's Tiara in this thread. :)

Many have mentioned here, that someone on the Royal Jewels message board had stated a few years ago, that the tiara hadn't been sold and was in safe hands, and tonight we've seen it for the first time in decades, on the head of Crown Princess Pavlos (Marie-Chantal) of Greece. Yay!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dJ0bmM6Dx7di/x610.jpg

Thank you for the picture! what was the event that its was seen?:ohmy:

That was at Queen Margrethe of Denmark's Jubilee dinner for her 40 years on the throne back in January 2012. That tiara made a stunning and wholly unexpected appearance!

Last edited:
:previous:

That picture was taken from "The Ageless Diamond" exhibition at Christie's in 1959 - and only a few of the jewels belong to the British Royal Family.
I've attached a picture where jewels I have recognised are circled.

- British royal jewellery in green:
1. Granny's Chips (in the centre, below the Kokoshnik tiara)
2. Williamson Pink Diamond Brooch (to the right of the Granny's Chips)
3. Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik Tiara (top row, the central one among the tiaras)
4. King George's or The Queen Mother's Garter Star (to the left of the Granny's Chips)
5. The South African Diamond Necklace and Bracelet (centre, below the Granny's Chips)

- Other (non-British royal pieces) I've recognized in white:
1. Marquis of Anglesley Tiara (top left)
2. Duchess of Northumberland Strawberry Leaf Tiara (top right)
3. Queen Marie Antoinette's Diamond Tiara (lower left corner) *
4. Queen Marie Antoinette's Diamond Necklace (below the necklace)*
5. Eureka South African Yellow Diamond (mounted in a ring - right below Marie-Antoinette's tiara)
6. The Nepal Diamond (mounted in a diamond necklace - the one on the left, next to the Garter Star)
7. 10.3 carat pink cushion shaped diamond (mounted in a ring - in the centre, below the Queen's South African necklace and bracelet)
8. 128 carat diamond that belonged to shipping tycoon Stavros Niarchos (mounted in a diamond necklace - the one on the right, next to Mathilde's rose)

- In pink are the jewels I'm not too sure about:
1. Almost certain it's Mathilde Bonaparte's rose (on the right, below the Strawberry Leaf Tiara)
2. Not sure, but it could be one of Queen Mary's (on the left, below the Marquis of Anglesley Tiara)

* Marie Antoinette's Tiara was (and probably still is) in possession of the Spencer family. The necklace is also known as the Sutherland Necklace; it consists of the 17 of the larger diamonds from Marie-Antoinette's necklace (THE famous necklace that contributed to the revolution).

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:
What a wonderful collection of photo's and information...where do you get the time ;)

With the help of two magical words: gap year. :D

Wow, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if the royal ladies wear stomachers anymore but they could take them and turn them into brooches, earrings and other jewels.

As always, Artemisia, I am humbled by your knowledge!:flowers:

You are all most welcome and thank you for the kind words. :flowers:
Royal Jewellery is fast becoming an obsession of mine and I'm glad of any chance to talk of it.

Yes, thanks for the info. The royal jewels are exciting to talk about.

Which tiara did CP Victoria wear to the Lux wedding? I haven't seen it ID'd anywhere.

casualfan said:
Which tiara did CP Victoria wear to the Lux wedding? I haven't seen it ID'd anywhere.

Roger Lundgren wrote at royal jewels message board that he asked the staff at the royal palace about this tiara during a meeting and they said it belongs to the same set as the napoleonic cut steel tiara .

Roger Lundgren wrote at royal jewels message board that he asked the staff at the royal palace about this tiara during a meeting and they said it belongs to the same set as the napoleonic cut steel tiara .
Sure, that's what Roger wrote, but a real cut steel 'set' does not exist; consequently, the tiara plus matching haircomb seen now can't be part of that non-existing 'set' either.
The grander Napoleonic cut steel tiara is entirely different in technical execution, design etc. -
See this link and the subsequent discussion:
[FONT=&quot]Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: The "new" Bernadottetiara[/FONT]

There seems to be no pictorial record at all of any Swedish royal lady having worn this 'new' tiara; it certainly hasn't been seen in public over the past four decades but was reportedly in the vaults all this time.

Do anyone have some information about The Queen Mother's Double Meander Tiara?

Dman said:
I'm not sure if the royal ladies wear stomachers anymore but they could take them and turn them into brooches, earrings and other jewels.

My understanding is that it was part of the Greville bequest. I recall seeing some images in the Princess Anne threads. Warren also provides a wealth of knowledge on these sorts of things. Big grin

With 50+ jewels that were never categorised, it is indeed possible the tiara was from the Greville lot.

One thing that makes me doubt that though: I remember a picture of the Countess of Strathmore (The Queen Mother's mother) during George VI coronation and she appears to be wearing the same or very similar tiara loaned to her by her daughter. If it's the same tiara, then it couldn't be a Greville bequest, could it?

It was never confirmed that the double meander tiara really originates from the Greville request. The piece is quite a mystery: it was clearly owned by Queen Mum and she lent it to an exibition in 1961. But she never wore it in public. We believe that it was worn once by Princess Anne, but the pics of that event were so blurred that we cannot be 100% sure.

I do not believe that the Countess of Strathmore wore the double meander at the coronation. Her tiara had a rather uneven outline, whereas the double meander is very geometical and has a very even and clear outline.

It all remains quite a bit of a mystery :flowers:.

I think the tiara worn by the Countess of Strathmore looks very similar to the Double Meander Tiara. However, it has also been identified as a different tiara altogether (a bandeau), so unless there are better pictures, nothing definite could be said. I think it's pretty certain that the tiara Anne was wearing is the Double Meander one though unless there is an almost identical one in British royal jewellery vaults (which, mind you, would not surprise me).

Picture 1 - The Double Meander Tiara
Picture 2 - The tiara worn by the Countess of Strathmore for George VI's Coronation (on loan from her daughter)
Picture 3 - The tiara worn by the Princess Royal for the Chinese reception

Images cropped from larger ones or in public domain.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 4,473
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,791
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,213
Last edited:
They do indeed look very similar- but why would the Countess borrow a tiara from her daughter? Surely there is a "Strathmore tiara" ? Curiouser and curiouser...

If there is a Strathmore tiara would it not belong to the Strathmore family rather than the Royal Family? I've never heard of one other than the Strathmore Rose Tiara but I guess anything is possible.

There is no reason why a Strathmore tiara would belong to the Royal Family, unless it was specifically left to the Queen Mother who, in turn, left it to Elizabeth II.

I think ldmemail meant it would be more reasonable for the Countess of Strathmore to wear a tiara from her own (or rather, her husband's) family, then borrow one from her daughter, Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother). I agree with that reasoning, but the tiaras do look very similar, which is why I made the suggestion in the first place.

There is no reason why a Strathmore tiara would belong to the Royal Family, unless it was specifically left to the Queen Mother who, in turn, left it to Elizabeth II.

I think ldmemail meant it would be more reasonable for the Countess of Strathmore to wear a tiara from her own (or rather, her husband's) family, then borrow one from her daughter, Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother). I agree with that reasoning, but the tiaras do look very similar, which is why I made the suggestion in the first place.

I think the only one which now belongs to the royal family is the Strathmore Rose Tiara,which passed into the queen's hands following the death of her mother in 2002.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #9. The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Back
Top Bottom