The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

They are talking about 2 different tiaras. The one that is featured on that website is a tiara that has supposedly been lost and never seen on a Norwegian royal since. And that somebody was Queen Maud....it appeared to be a mannequin likeness showing the dress and jewels she wore on her coronation.

The necklace that was stolen from Garrods appears to be one that Queen Sonja has worn and that Princess Martha-Louise has worn, albeit in a copy form.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-11-2007, 04:49 AM
Courtier

Well, it is a shame that it was stolen, but may I just congratulate them on the copy! It is one of my favourite Norwegian pieces.

As for the issue of late Victorian and Edwardian English pieces, I might cite the example of the recently-sold Poltimore tiara owned by the late Princess Margaret. If you look at photographs of the original owner (Lady Poltimore) wearing it, it is quite spread out over a wide base to balance her large "Gibson Girl"-esque hairdo. For the wedding of Prss Margaret and Lord Snowdon, the tiara was placed on a much smaller base, which the princess appears to have used until the late 1970's or early 1980's, at which point the larger hairstyles of the 80's allowed her to use it in a wider format again. However, you can see from photographs of the time that the princess actually leaned the tiara backward on her head a bit to compensate for its incredibly large size. Even still, when I look at it I sometimes think it's a little bit too big...but it is so beautiful.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I finally have the pictures I was looking for of Lilians (of Belgium) lost tiara's. They were provided by Hans on the Royal Jewels MB.

First a flower diademe, some thought it came from Queen Maria-Hendrika, others say only the flower came from her and other say that nothing at all was inhertited from the Queen.

Lilian wearing the tiara
picture of the tiara

-
Princess Lilian owned a sketch of this tiara. It is unknown if she actually owned the tiara itself too.
sketch

Some say that this brooch might be a part of the above tiara.
brooch

-
Here some pictures of Lilian with a tiara that she wore quite frequently, it is unknown what happened to it.
Lilian 1
Lilian 2
Lilian 3
Old 05-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

As posted by Laurent on the Royal Jewels MB: the sapphire tiara of Princess Louise of Belgium (daughter of Leopold II).
Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Courtier

One humdinger of a tiara

Dear Members,

I love and adore sapphires, along of course with diamonds etc. so I am delighted when the noble Marengo has shown us yet another sapphire goodie. It is a superb little trinket. Do you know whatever happened too it.
the Ghastly Lilllian didn't get her money grubbing claws on it and sell it did she?? I cannot wonder but is the head on which this particular contraption is perched real or shaved or a stuffed trophy. While it certainly looks a lot better than many of the heads currently walking the streets, one wonders?

I am wondering if any of the members has a picture of the honeysuckle tiara of Queen Mary currently in the possesion of the wondrous Duchess of Glouchester. She insists on wearing it with that abminable kunzite, probably some gift from one of the Australian miners or some such who dug the thing up and didn't have a clue of what to do with the ugly thing and so gave it to the RF. It is nevertheless a magnificent indeed wonderful contraption. There is a version of it with a diamond and sapphire setting as the central jewel. I wonder does anybody have a picture of that. If so could you please post that picture to this tiara deprived lunatic. Cheers.

PS. I also adore chocolate and regret that they cannot wear that in tiaras too. As you can see my current state of chocolate deprivation has gone to the remnants of my head, ie brain. Cheers and cheers again.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman

I love and adore sapphires, along of course with diamonds etc. so I am delighted when the noble Marengo has shown us yet another sapphire goodie. It is a superb little trinket. Do you know whatever happened too it.
the Ghastly Lilllian didn't get her money grubbing claws on it and sell it did she??
The tiara belonged to Princess Louise of Saxe-Coburg, nee Princess of Belgium, eldest daughter of King Leopold II. My guess is that her only surviving daughter (Duchess Dorothea of Schleswig-Holstein, nee Pss of Saxe-Coburg) inherited it or that Louise already sold the tiara during her lifetime, as she was usually in need of money. She and her two sisters (Archduchess Stephanie and Princess Clementine Napoleon) sold their mothers jewels in an auction when Leopold II died. This was much against Leopold II's wishes as in his last will he donated them to his nephew King Albert I. His three daughters however went to court and got their hands on most of Leopold II's money and jewels and thus leaving poor Queen Elisabeth with very little jewelry.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Courtier

There is a great site you may have seen before with separate pages for the various stones:

Beryl Beryls
Kunzite Kunzite

They seem to be different classifications of stones.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Aristocracy

I was just doing some web surfing and was looking at jeweller Fred Leighton's site when I came across pics of the Archduchess Isabelle of Austria's peridot parure.

Fred Leighton - Rare and Collectible Jewels

(Choose "Fred Leighton Collection", then "Antique Grandeur" - pics are on #10 and #11.)

Notice how the tiara is worn as a belt.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Royal Highness

All of those pieces were just breathtaking! I really loved that splendid three strand ruby necklace and that RIVIERE! OH MY. What a piece--what was it, 145 carats of diamonds? Amazing. Worthy of Queen Mary herself.
On the last page, the lady dressed in white with the teased out hair who was wearing the white ballgown with the peridot tiara as a belt--she reminded me of Princess Gloria of Thurn und Taxis--I wonder if she was the inspiration for the look?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness

Leighton has a beautiful tiara on page 3. It's just leaves. Very pretty! If anyone wants to buy me an August birthday present, give me the leaves instead of the peridots.

And I'm wondering why Leighton didn't show the peridot tiara?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
Which tiara is Queen Marie of Romania wearing here?

I like this tiara a lot but I have not seen it in any other pictures. Does anyone know what it is called, where it comes from, where it is now, and does anyone have any other pictures of it (being worn or by itself)?
This romanian tiara might be part of the jewels taht queen Marie sent in Russia durng the first world war. She thought her jewels would be safe in St Petersbourg. Unfortunatelly all of them disapered during the 1917 Revolution
Old 07-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Along dear people with tons of other fabulous goodies, along with an entire civilization. I refer, among other things to the Youssapov (don't believe my spelling here) treasure trove. Part of it was gotten out of the country and sold but a part was found by the Soviets and there is a famous photograph of the barbarians surrounding a table full of something live 250 brooches, thirteen tiaras no less and various loose gems. Two of the animals are on the left side with pliars and screwdrivers taking apart what look like drop dead gorgeous diamond brooches. And the tiaras are out of this world.

Then there are the Russian Crown jewels which they got rid of and which are now lost to the world. I think there is a magnificent aquamarine parure that has gone missing and its whereabouts are now unknown. Then there is the monstrosity of Imelda Marcos destroying the magnificent diamond and pearl tiara that first belonged to the wife of Nicholas I. I can never keep the names of these Russian tsarinas straight. Besides I would have to spell it too.

then of course there is the magnificent diamond and pearl tiara of Marie herself that the Bolshies, thieves that they were, promptly snatched and has never seen since. All very sad indeed. And in the service of something not only so drab and ugly but hideous beyond belief.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Courtier

Thomas, one has to expect that these things would happen at the end of the empire. Russia wasn't exactly a land of milk and honey for the vast majority of the population, and these jewels were the symbols of vast social inequality. However, we are lucky to have those pieces that have survived in the Russian state Diamond Fund. My solution to the problem of the lost artistic treasures is that the top jewellers of today might have a go at recreating some of these fabulous pieces, if for no other reason than show. If the Romanovs had been more adept at ruling their country, the Bolsheviks would never have had their hands on the family heirlooms. I do lament their loss, though...I wish that we could go to see these jewels today, as we can the Topkapi Sarayi collection in Istanbul, for example.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Commoner

What an absolutely stunning and beautiful tiara!!! and that goes for the Princess as well :):):) (Princess Margarita of Romania - wedding photo)
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Dear Prince of Chota,

You are of course entirely correct. If only the Romanovs who really weren't Romanovs had not been such a bunch of totally blithering idiots. The only one that had a grain of sense apart from Catherine II was Alexander II and look what happened to him. His son was a fool and his grandson even worse. And the wife of the Grandson, Nickie II was a total nincompoop beyond belief. Had they had any skill and insight at all the whole catastrophe could have been avoided. Just like that numbskull Louis XVI or Geoge III. Buy then I am convinced our contemporary politicians are not much better and certainly not nearly as elegant and colorful. At least there was pomp and circumstance, not to mention all those drop dead gorgeous jewels. BTW have you gotten your hands on Jewels of the Tsars by Prince Michael of Greece yet. It is well worth the shekels that it requires to obtain it, if you local lending library refuses to buy it. Cheers.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I was just doing some web surfing to find Spanish tiaras ans I go th webshots and I found these jewels belongs to Ena of Battenberg:
Masriera Tiara pictures from history photos on webshots
and Heart Shaped Tiara and Six Strand Pearl Necklace pictures from history photos on webshots
and Ena's Fleuron Crown pictures from history photos on webshots
and Another Composite Photo/Drawing of Ena in her Wedding Dress pictures from history photos on webshots

Anyone know what happen to these tiaras?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyone know something about the tiara worn by Princess Stefanie of Belgium
Stefanie of Belgium pictures from fashion photos on webshots

and about this of Margherita of Savoy Queen Consort of Italy
Stefanie of Belgium pictures from fashion photos on webshots ?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Well, my dear Magnik, it only goes to prove if you got it, flaunt it. The woman is enought to scare you to death. Have you noticed the massive stomach she has pasted upon her royal bosom. And those eyes, My God, those eyes. The woman is enough to stop traffic. We needed her in the Ardenne Forrest in 1914. she would have stopped Von Kluck and the Huns cold in their tracks. The tiara is grand beyond words and the whole ensemble just puts you in the mood to just prostrate on the floor and hope she does not deign to Notice YOU, you miserble worm and peasant. Just the way royalty should be. Cheers.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002 View Post
This is the tiara Princess Alice wore to King Edward VII wedding.
Does anyone know where it originates from? Or where it is now?
It looks beautiful from afar.

http://www.btinternet.com/~sbishop100/alicegar.jpg
Dear Lashinka I believe it is the Hesse spike tiara I have seen a close up of it on its own somewhere. Try googling the house of hesse.
regards Tarlita from Australia
Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Anyone know where the Hesse Spike Diadem is these days? The current family haven't worn it for any recent weddings, using an ears-of-wheat affair instead. I really hope it wasn't part of the jewels destroyed after WWII.

Tags
baden, crown jewels, jewellery, lost, mystery, princess theodora, unidentified