The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I have to agree with all of you, I'd like to see more jewelry! But it is a shame that the royal heritage gets auctioned off by the more remote, less well-to-do members of the family. A foundation that loans the jewels out but retains ownership sounds like an excellent idea.

And what was Princess Beatrice thinking when she created her Greek key tiara? Yikes.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness

At least, given the fact that Linley didn't sell them, it appears that the tiaras that Princess Margaret had with royal provenance have been returned to the vaults. It seems safe to assume that Lady Sarah has the Snowdon Floral Tiara & Lady Linley has the Fan Tiara that she wore at her wedding. Therefore the Flames of Love Turquoise Tiara, The Scroll Tiara & the Teck Circle necklace/tiara have gone back to the BP vaults.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Also in the the pictures of Queen Alexandra in this link:
Queen Alexandra pictures from fashion photos on webshots
(I hope I posted right) there is a photo of Alexandra wearing a tiara with several ovals. Where is that tiara and was it the predecessor of the necklace that diana used to wear that looked like amethyst beads with an oval center piece of diamonds?[/quote]

The picture is on the third page, second row, second from left.

I was actually quite shocked to see the Delhi Durbar tiara after all these years. I was sure it had been quietly sold off along with many other royal pieces. If the BRF actually still owns even a portion of the pieces that Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra and the Queen Mum used to wear but have not seen daylight in decades- then that is QUITE a stash. It would undoubtedly mean that the BRF has the most vast jewel collection in the world- which is probably why it doesn't see the light of day - TAXES!

I don't understand why Sophie cannot borrow pieces for occasions and return them, without a family foundation being created?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:23 AM
Administrator

In that picture Queen Alexandra is wearing what is said to be a diamond and emerald tiara. Someone may have more details.

The Delhi Durbar tiara worn by Camilla is one of the last things they would sell off; in effect it is Queen Mary's Empress of India 'coronation diadem'.

Most of the serious British jewels which have been unsighted for decades are more than likely to be found in the vaults underneath Buckingham Palace, an unimaginable treasure trove indeed. When jewels and other objet d'art pass from 'sovereign to sovereign' (eg Queen Mary to EIIR, Queen Mother to EIIR) there are no death duties or taxes.

Sophie could no doubt borrow jewels if she so desired, but it depends on the Queen's willingness to lend them. Realistically, as Sophie has three tiaras that we know of (more than Diana and Sarah combined!), it's unlikely she would be asking HM for more.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the info. Wonder where that tiara is now? Tell me, do they dust down there? If yes, I'd like to apply for the job.

Sophie doesn't need tiaras, she needs necklaces, pearls, earrings and bracelets. She has been very loyal to the performance of her royal duties in the absence of more royal ladies and I think she needs more pizzaz.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Courtier

The BRF is very good about using pieces that connect them to their immediate ancestors and past monarchs. However, I do wonder how many tiaras are shoved away in vaults somewhere. I read once that HM the Queen didn't know about the base of the Ladies of GB and Ireland tiara until it was "discovered" in a vault years later--and now she's worn it many times. I wonder how many more items are simply forgotten such as that...and, for that matter, how many of the tiaras we look at in old photographs have been dismantled to create some of the more recent fabulous jewels we drool over.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Nobility

I would imagine that there are catalogues of the Jewels. I know Queen Mary had catalogues. Otherwise it would be hard to keep track of just the brooches alone.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

If I may throw my two pence in (ie four cents American), I think part of the problem (and what a "problem") is that the dear Queen has worn all these jewels all her life. It is like putting on another pair of shoes or your dress uniform. You just get used to it. Queen Mary of the Brazen Slendor whom we all love and adore was known to complain bitterly about how heavy her tiara was.

So you have all these vaults and vaults of jewels gathered over centuries of being empire and world superpower and those seeing these goodies, unlike the fresh eyed and innocent members of the RF, have become jaded. "What, doesn't everybody have at least two tiaras?" is the unspoken assumption. So they take all of the for granted and forget just what it is exactly that they have. And so I do not doubt all kinds of goodies are stored away and may someday again see the light. I personally would love to see somebody, Camilla???, wearing the lovely Teck crescent moon (???) tiara. But Queen EII has her favorites that she keeps on wearing, just like her favorite and most comfortable shoes. But wouldn't you just love to see a complete catalogue or better still have a guided tour. Cheers.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

Oh Thomas, I love to hear a reference to one of my very favorite tiaras, the Teck Crescent Moon (See my avatar!). I know that it isn't the typical design for a tiara, but it is a stunner and you are quite right--dear Camilla has the hair and presence to pull the piece off right. Sophie can't pull it off (not enough hair) but Camilla has the presence AND the hair. I also would love to see the Surrey tiara make a re-emergence, but who knows?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I get the hint !

Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Courtier

While I agree somewhat, I highly doubt that royals assume that everyone has access to tiaras. We are seeing that many royal families have opted to use tiaras less frequently, so as not to appear ostentatious or out of touch. Tiaras are a symbol of the monarchy as well, and so it is understandable that the British monarch should choose her tiaras--and those of her family--very carefully. Her Majesty has faced criticism during her reign, as well, so every choice down to wardrobe (and especially jewels) must be made with much consideration. I doubt that she actually assumes that anyone has a collection of tiaras like her own...but at the same time, it is not really the job of the queen to know each piece in her catalogue. Care of the jewels belongs to someone else entirely, so chances are if the queen is not already familiar with a piece, she doesn't know everything about it. I don't imagine all the jewels in the royal collection are displayed in glass cases in some room where she might stop and consider them; in all likelihood they are in their respective boxes in some sort of vault, perhaps even many separate vaults. I would guess that HM considers several of her tiaras rather like signature pieces, and is saving the others less seen for members of the family yet to come. As far as specific pieces (like the Teck tiara), one can conjecture possible reasons why it has not been seen of late. My own guess is that it has a very wide base (as many tiaras of the period do), and is therefore difficult to wear with the more modern hairstyles of to-day. I believe that this was the reason that the Queen Mother rarely wore this tiara as well. However, I think that the possibility of it coming back into the spotlight within a decade or so are very good, and I do look forward to that.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Lady K, were we that obvious??? I'm afraid I don't hide my intense need to see Camilla in that wonderful tiara!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Courtier

I suppose if there is any royal head (or shall I say "hair") in the BRF that can pull off tiaras of such wide frame, Camilla has proven herself able (I refer, of course, to her wonderful job of reviving the rather demanding Dhurbar Tiara). Both of the tiaras (not counting those of her own collection) she has worn have been VERY large. The Teck tiara would be a much more subdued look, which might be quite refreshing.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Commoner

Queen Maud's Diamond and Pearl Tiara

Does anyone know what happened to this tiara of Queen Maud?

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mo...mondpearl.html
Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

My understanding is that Queen Mary had a rather large head and thus had no problem wearing these larger contraptions. Plus they added what were called, ever so quaintly 'transformations' which added more hair and support so that a kind of platform was created for these goodies which could be quite heavy indeed.

As for the Queen Maud thing, was it the one they send over to Garrards to have cleaned a few years back and the thing was stolen???

Of Course QEII does not believe everybody has two tiaras, that was merely poetic license. But I am quite sure that she does not really know everything that is in those vaults. I read somewhere-here my memory is playing tricks-that somebody -was it Queen Victoria on coming to the throne-remarked on rooms of incredible goodies. so what wouldn't we give to have a royal tour of those vaults.
cheers.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonemor
Does anyone know what happened to this tiara of Queen Maud?

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mo...mondpearl.html
It would be a very nice tiara
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Dear Members,
As for the Queen Maud thing, was it the one they send over to Garrards to have cleaned a few years back and the thing was stolen???
This is definitley not the one that was stolen.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Courtier

Dear Wymanda,

I have checked with the issue of April 2005 in which the various Norweigan jewels are discussed. The tiara that was stolen was one given to the then princess Maud by her parents the Prince and Princess of Wales. it was of diamonds and pearls and a replacement copy was made. . I cannot tell how closely it resembles this tiara. Perhaps the version that has been pictured here is without the centro pearl setting, which appears could have been able to be removed. I saw no other reference to any other diamond and pearl tiara in that collection. This is indeed a mystery. Cheers.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
This is definitley not the one that was stolen.
It is the diamond and pearl tiara often worn by Queen Sonja who was stolen. Garrards made a ciopy of it which was first worn by Queen Sonja on the State Visit to the Netherlands in the late 90's. And Princess Märtha Louise wore it in the simpler version on her wedding Day.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Courtier

The question, dear members, to which I do not have the answer, is are we talking about one tiara or two. The one pictured on somebody's neck above with an overdone pearl choker is gorgeous but I cannot tell whether it is the same one as worn quite often by Queen Sonja (or rather the original of which Queen Sophia wears a copy). these nitpicking details.
But then i am a librarian you know. In any case the thingie pictured above is a lovely thing indeed. Cheers.

Tags
baden, crown jewels, jewellery, lost, mystery, princess theodora, unidentified