Unidentified, Mystery and Lost Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which tiara is Queen Marie of Romania wearing here?

Marie10.jpg

I like this tiara a lot but I have not seen it in any other pictures. Does anyone know what it is called, where it comes from, where it is now, and does anyone have any other pictures of it (being worn or by itself)?
This romanian tiara might be part of the jewels taht queen Marie sent in Russia durng the first world war. She thought her jewels would be safe in St Petersbourg. Unfortunatelly all of them disapered during the 1917 Revolution

Along dear people with tons of other fabulous goodies, along with an entire civilization. I refer, among other things to the Youssapov (don't believe my spelling here) treasure trove. Part of it was gotten out of the country and sold but a part was found by the Soviets and there is a famous photograph of the barbarians surrounding a table full of something live 250 brooches, thirteen tiaras no less and various loose gems. Two of the animals are on the left side with pliars and screwdrivers taking apart what look like drop dead gorgeous diamond brooches. And the tiaras are out of this world.

Then there are the Russian Crown jewels which they got rid of and which are now lost to the world. I think there is a magnificent aquamarine parure that has gone missing and its whereabouts are now unknown. Then there is the monstrosity of Imelda Marcos destroying the magnificent diamond and pearl tiara that first belonged to the wife of Nicholas I. I can never keep the names of these Russian tsarinas straight. Besides I would have to spell it too.

then of course there is the magnificent diamond and pearl tiara of Marie herself that the Bolshies, thieves that they were, promptly snatched and has never seen since. All very sad indeed. And in the service of something not only so drab and ugly but hideous beyond belief.

Thomas, one has to expect that these things would happen at the end of the empire. Russia wasn't exactly a land of milk and honey for the vast majority of the population, and these jewels were the symbols of vast social inequality. However, we are lucky to have those pieces that have survived in the Russian state Diamond Fund. My solution to the problem of the lost artistic treasures is that the top jewellers of today might have a go at recreating some of these fabulous pieces, if for no other reason than show. If the Romanovs had been more adept at ruling their country, the Bolsheviks would never have had their hands on the family heirlooms. I do lament their loss, though...I wish that we could go to see these jewels today, as we can the Topkapi Sarayi collection in Istanbul, for example.

What an absolutely stunning and beautiful tiara!!! and that goes for the Princess as well :):):) (Princess Margarita of Romania - wedding photo)

Last edited:
Dear Prince of Chota,

You are of course entirely correct. If only the Romanovs who really weren't Romanovs had not been such a bunch of totally blithering idiots. The only one that had a grain of sense apart from Catherine II was Alexander II and look what happened to him. His son was a fool and his grandson even worse. And the wife of the Grandson, Nickie II was a total nincompoop beyond belief. Had they had any skill and insight at all the whole catastrophe could have been avoided. Just like that numbskull Louis XVI or Geoge III. Buy then I am convinced our contemporary politicians are not much better and certainly not nearly as elegant and colorful. At least there was pomp and circumstance, not to mention all those drop dead gorgeous jewels. BTW have you gotten your hands on Jewels of the Tsars by Prince Michael of Greece yet. It is well worth the shekels that it requires to obtain it, if you local lending library refuses to buy it. Cheers.

Well, my dear Magnik, it only goes to prove if you got it, flaunt it. The woman is enought to scare you to death. Have you noticed the massive stomach she has pasted upon her royal bosom. And those eyes, My God, those eyes. The woman is enough to stop traffic. We needed her in the Ardenne Forrest in 1914. she would have stopped Von Kluck and the Huns cold in their tracks. The tiara is grand beyond words and the whole ensemble just puts you in the mood to just prostrate on the floor and hope she does not deign to Notice YOU, you miserble worm and peasant. Just the way royalty should be. Cheers.

Anyone know where the Hesse Spike Diadem is these days? The current family haven't worn it for any recent weddings, using an ears-of-wheat affair instead. I really hope it wasn't part of the jewels destroyed after WWII.

DIAMOND LEAVES AND FLOWER TIARA

This diamond-set tiara was given by Queen Victoria to Princess Alice on occasion of her marriage in 1862 to Grand Duke Ludwig of Hesse und bei Rhein. Of neo-classical inspiration, it takes the form of a graduated frieze of stylized leaves and flowers, supported by a latticework gallery.

Few infos
Princess Alice & Grand Duke Louis: Wedding and Marriage

I did a quick search to find out the lineage of this Prince George Meskhi-Gleboff who buried the jewels and I can't find out exactly how he is a prince! Also, it says the map mysteriously disappeared. Hmmmm.......

Maria Rasputin said the story was true. She happened to be in the room when Alexandra asked George Meskhi Gleboff to take the jewels to a bank in China for safekeeping. Hmmmmmmm.......

2181481722_844e681ded_o.jpg

Does anyone know what tiara is this. I don`t think is Marie`s and is after 1920

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's one of Queen Marie's more theatrical headpieces rather than a real tiara.

Last edited:
Help me id this one

Tie Pin King Edward VII gold 25 high quality rose cut diamonds.
No hallmark on the pin.
Kjetil

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 330
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 294
Waren, thanks for your answer. I have 2 more : what tiara is in Ileana`picture and is the greek tiara ( Anne Marie`) on Missy`s head?
Dibujo-2.jpg
Marie107.jpg

slavona

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize many of these posts pertain to tiaras, but on a different spin...

101.jpg_Î÷°àÑÀÍõºó

Does anyone know to whom this demi/parure belongs to? I was almost knocked on my back by its magnificence!

I know the first one went for sale at christie's or sotheby's a year or so ago...I believe in was German/Austrian or Silesian...

I don`t know if this is the good thread but does anyone has the list of the russian jewels sold by Christie`s in 1929?

-Masriera tiara is disappear and I guess that there isn't any photo of Victoria Eugenia wearing it. It was the gift of the region of Cataluña to her when she got married with King Alfonso XIII.

-The second tiara and necklace belonged to Queen Maria Cristina (born archduchess of Austria). Maria Cristina was the second wife of King Alfonso XII (the first wife of Alfonso XII Maria de las Mercedes de Borbón-Orleans). Nowadays this tiara belonged to Queen Sofia.

-The little crown was made by Cartier. It was a gift from Alfonso XIII to Victoria Eugenia. She used it in the opening of the Parliament. It was dismantled in the years of the exile of the Spanish Royal Family.

Regards!

Can anyone identify this tiara?

I can't find it anywhere on the forums. Or maybe the search function hates me. It was worn by Princess Alice, GD of Hesse and by Rhine.

attachment.php

In very important auction will be hold at Sotheby/Geneva this month called : magnificient jewelry. I cannot load them on my PC , I am sure royal jewelry will be among them.

Queen Sophie's of Greece Diamond Tiara

Yes. 1934 was when the photograph was taken. I thought that was obvious?
Nevertheless, thank you for the information, and I'm sure we all hope to see this magnificant tiara make a glittering re-appearance. :)

If this tiara was indeed sold I am surprised that it had not been worn by the new owner - is just stunning! Maybe it isn't sold but has not reappeared all this years for another reason.

There are two possibilities taht the tiara stayed within the family and not been used. The first would be that Princess Irene is it's current owner, but since she doesn't wear bir jewellery she doen's feel like using it.In this case the tiara will reappear when and if the Princess gives it to another family member ( Greek or Spanish).

The second possibility is that it is owned by Prince Nikolaos. Remember when Frederika died there were only two grandsons ( Filippos was born later). Since she knew that Pavlos would be the eventual head of the family and would inherit all the other importat jewels , she might wanted to leave a tiara to the other Greek prince that existed. If that's the case the tiara has not reappeared because Nicolaos can't use it (obviously:lol:) and Anne Marie didn't use it all this years in order to comply with her mother in law's wishes. If this second theory is correct , we will see the tiara in Ms Blatnik's head in a while.

What do you think about these theories? Could they be correct?

I don't know what tiara we're talking about but I'm liking the theories, especially the second one. I've been wondering what tiara Tatiana will wear for her wedding.

Back
Top Bottom