The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
I think the tiara princess mary is wearing is the most similar to the sunray of the current known BRF tiaras...
No its not that one that Princess Mary, the Princess Royal wore. That was her own fringe tiara. It's either the George III Fringe Tiara or it is no longer worn by British Royals.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Courtier

You have got to be kidding. The fabulous Queen Marie, who really was an heroic individual, in that first picture is ridiculous. Either the crown/tiara is phony or the thing must have weighed a ton. She must have on a neck brace if the thing is real. There is a picture from somewhere around here of her wearing a fabulous pearl and dimond tiara and this perfectly hideous stomacher-did the Noble Warren dredge that out of his barn load of goodies, by chance? I guess tastes change. But she, these foibles of taste and all was one magnificent lady. Her greatest disappointment must have been her ne'er do well son Carol II, talk about a looser. In any case that is another story. cheers.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
The fabulous Queen Marie, who really was an heroic individual... There is a picture from somewhere around here of her wearing a fabulous pearl and dimond tiara and this perfectly hideous stomacher.
Yes Thomas, the pic is in this very thread. To save you the trouble of paging through, here is the link. All part of the service.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, the Queen Marie in that picture Warren has so kindly directed to my attention is simply Drop Dead Gorgeous. The pearl and diamond tiara is a marvel. I am delighted and amazed that the ducal house of Luxemburg has such a rich and varied collection of goodies. I am so very grateful to the members for bringing it to the list's attention. While some of them I do not care for, just who am I to make value judgements in the first place. These good people obviously have had a high old time wearing and flaunting all those goodies.

Would it be beyond the ken for the noble Warren to explain just what happened to the house of Nassau and how they got done in by the Prussians and then bounced back and danced on the Prussians graves? I am totally ignorant of what would appear to be a fascinating royal history. I do note that somewhere or other you or somebody referred to Queen Mary as modest. I laughed at that one. There was not a modest bone in the woman's most royal and jewel bedecked body. If you got it flaunt it and she most certainly did . Cheers.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Nassaus, Netherlands and Luxembourg

Quote:
...to explain just what happened to the house of Nassau and how they got done in by the Prussians and then bounced back and danced on the Prussians graves?
A short off-topic deviation:
The House of Nassau had two major branches: Orange, of the Netherlands, and Weilburg, who reigned as the Dukes of Nassau. In 1866 the Bismarck-engineered Austro-Prussian War (over Schleswig-Holstein, of all places) occurred. Those states who had sided with Austria against expansionist Prussia paid a price; eg Hanover, Hesse-Cassel and Nassau were annexed outright by Prussia and their reigning King, Elector and Duke dethroned.

In 1815 the Congress of Vienna, in the post-Napoleonic reorganisation of Europe, gave the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg to the King of the Netherlands. In 1890 when King Willem III died he was succeeded in his Dutch kingdom by his daughter Wilhelmina. However, Luxembourg was subject to Salic Law. The far-sighted Nassaus (Orange and Weilburg) had cleverly made provision for the lack of a male heir over a century previously. Thus by the Family Pact of 1783 the deposed Duke Adolf of Nassau, being the Head of the senior Weilburg branch, regained a throne and become the Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg. His descendants reign today; the Prussian throne disappeared in 1918.

Quote:
...somebody referred to Queen Mary as modest. I laughed at that one.
It was a comment referring to Queen Mary's "modest" display of diamonds and jewels, intended to raise a wry chuckle.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Courtier

Well, Warren, since I know nothing of the history of Luxemburg, please correct me if I am wrong but at some point the Salic law was set aside. After all as I recall the Grand Duchess Charlotte inherited the throne, from her father ? grandfather? Of course all the goodies that they are wearing are quite wonderful. I am delighted that the House of Nassau got the last laugh and got to dance on the graves of the House of Bismark and the House of Hohenzollern. Could not have happened to a more deserving group of people.

Of course it is a good thing I got to them and saw themyesterday the jewels that is, as they have all been locked up and now, thanks to censorship we can no longer see them. Between adolescent sensitivity, copywright sensitivity and a total lack of humour this place is going to rack and ruin. I suppose we must sneak goodies through and let every body get a quick look before they all disappear in cyberspace never to be seen again. Sigh!! The story of my life-frustration. cheers
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
... the history of Luxemburg, please correct me if I am wrong but at some point the Salic law was set aside. After all as I recall the Grand Duchess Charlotte inherited the throne, from her father ? grandfather?
GD Adolphe (the deposed Duke of Nassau made good) was succeeded by his son, GD Guillaume IV who had six daughters. Being pure pragmatists, the Family Statute of 1907 allowed females to succeed to the throne. Problem solved.

Quote:
...this place is going to rack and ruin.
If we want the Forums to continue the copyright law must be respected. The alternative is a shut-down site, which is a fate which befell two Royal Jewels websites in 2005.
They were effectively closed by the Photo Agencies. Kaput. Understand?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Courtier

Yes, my dear Warren, I understand the word kaput all too well. But you will forgive-dare I say even indulge this foolish and broken down remnant-a few groans and moans, or at least a whimper.

All right, I am now going to whine: I still say the Foto Agencies are 1.overacting and 2.behaving in an unbelieveably petty fashion. But there you are. Besides we have all those delicious morsels-ie jewels, tiaras, etc-that have disappeared into cyberspace never to be seen again. Sob. And if nobody here looks at and drools lovingly over them as we do here, who will or does. I guess the FAs must want their goodies to be seen by nobody at all, which really does not make much sense.

In any case I shall now go home and console myself with a large bowl of chocolat ice cream-a forbidden goodie where I am concerned and drool maliciously over all those pictures I have xeroxed off and filed away for just such occasions. They certainly are an antidote to depressing situations such as this. Some of them may have even escaped the clutches of the FAs. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 08-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Serene Highness

Does anybody know who is this lady and how is this tiara called please? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1131310362 It looks very lovely, but I couldn't find better image.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
Does anybody know who is this lady and how is this tiara called please? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1131310362
It's Princess Alexandra of Kent wearing her favourite tiara of diamonds and turquoise. Sorry, I don't know if it has a name, it may be "the Daisy Tiara".
Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

These two pictures of the formidable Queen Wilhelmina were posted on the Royal Jewels MB recently by poster ´Royal Netherlands´. These diamonds have never been seen in this frame after WWII. I believe the diamonds were part of a birthdaygift Wilhelmina got from her father, King Willem III.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Courtier

Well, good King Willem III was certainly prescient. Wilhelmina became queen when she was only ten years old, if my memory serves me. So the thing was probably much too large for her gorgeous but formidably intelligent young head when she got it. These Dutch royals, if I may say so, have a way of growing on you. the more I learn about them the more I like them. But they do have some awful jewelry, just ripe for the worst jewels thread. But there again is all that Calvanist modesty at work. They, the Dutch, I understand even set diamonds in charcoal so they will not be too showy. Go figure. Cheers.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Wilhelmina actually received the jewels in 1889, so for her 9th birthday. Willem wanted to make up for giving so many jewels to his mistresses maybe (before his 2nd marriage that is).

The diamonds of this set can be put in various different frames (as tiara and necklace):

As small tiara:

As strange(r) tiara:

As triangular tiara:

As necklace:

Pics from http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/new_page_15.htm where more information and pictures can be found.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

The first picture almost looks like it could be the source of the band tiara that Maxima has been wearing? The stones on that tiara are magnificant. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

They seem the same size but they are not used for the diamond bandeau that Maxima has worn recently. The diamond bandeau is made from 25 rosecut diamonds that were a gift from stadholder Willem IV, Prince of Orange, to his wife Princess Anne of Great-Britain and Hannover while the above set is made from diamonds that came from Queen Anna Pavlovna (nee Grand Duchess of Russia), the diamonds aren´t rosecut either.

During the recent statevisit to Belgium HM the Queen was wearing Wilhelmina´s big diamonds (as necklace) while Maxima was wearing the diamond bandeau (with the big diamonds) at the same time.

More information about the rosecut bandeau: http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/new_page_2.htm
Old 08-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you Marengo for the great link. The bandau tiara and the tiara/necklace are both simply stunning!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

You're welcome kimebear :).
-

I wondered if any of the (belgian?) posters could provide some pictures of the stunning tiara's that were once in posession of the Belgian RF. Especially the floral tiara of Queen Marie-Henriette was quite a sight (as was the Cartier tiara of Queel Elisabeth). I am unable to find a picture of it, helas.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

A not-seen-for-a-while tiara

This one's neither unidentified, mysterious nor lost, although its current whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen worn by Queen Frederika of Greece. Someone who knows about these things has stated elsewhere that the tiara is in safe hands and will make a reappearance at the appropriate time. So we'll file it under the heading of 'enigmatic'.

I imagine this spectacular and glittering jewel would be quite something to behold when seen in "real life".
pic credit: Copyright expired; Public Domain.

Queen Helen of Romania (neé Princess of Greece) 1934
Queen Sophie of Greece Diamond Tiara

Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Oh dear. I know many a royal conspiracy theorist that is now hoping that this magnificant jewel appears on the head of Princess Theodora when she marries Prince William!

As usual Warren, your archived goodies just start the whole day off nicely. Thanks so much!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

guys u need to please stop posting the link to danjel's website since there are no more pictures on his site. :( :(

Tags
baden, crown jewels, jewellery, lost, mystery, princess theodora, unidentified