Unidentified, Mystery and Lost Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These two pictures of the formidable Queen Wilhelmina were posted on the Royal Jewels MB recently by poster ´Royal Netherlands´. These diamonds have never been seen in this frame after WWII. I believe the diamonds were part of a birthdaygift Wilhelmina got from her father, King Willem III.

img197.jpg

DronningWilhelmina.jpg

Well, good King Willem III was certainly prescient. Wilhelmina became queen when she was only ten years old, if my memory serves me. So the thing was probably much too large for her gorgeous but formidably intelligent young head when she got it. These Dutch royals, if I may say so, have a way of growing on you. the more I learn about them the more I like them. But they do have some awful jewelry, just ripe for the worst jewels thread. But there again is all that Calvanist modesty at work. They, the Dutch, I understand even set diamonds in charcoal so they will not be too showy. Go figure. Cheers.

Wilhelmina actually received the jewels in 1889, so for her 9th birthday. Willem wanted to make up for giving so many jewels to his mistresses maybe (before his 2nd marriage that is).

The diamonds of this set can be put in various different frames (as tiara and necklace):

As small tiara:

WILHTIARA.jpg

As strange(r) tiara:

Wilhelmina20Diamanten20Set2006a.jpg

As triangular tiara:

Margriet20Diamanten20Set202001.jpg

As necklace:

wilhneck.jpg

Juliana20Diamanten20Set2001b.jpg

Pics from http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/new_page_15.htm where more information and pictures can be found.

The first picture almost looks like it could be the source of the band tiara that Maxima has been wearing? The stones on that tiara are magnificant. Can anyone confirm this for me?

They seem the same size but they are not used for the diamond bandeau that Maxima has worn recently. The diamond bandeau is made from 25 rosecut diamonds that were a gift from stadholder Willem IV, Prince of Orange, to his wife Princess Anne of Great-Britain and Hannover while the above set is made from diamonds that came from Queen Anna Pavlovna (nee Grand Duchess of Russia), the diamonds aren´t rosecut either.

During the recent statevisit to Belgium HM the Queen was wearing Wilhelmina´s big diamonds (as necklace) while Maxima was wearing the diamond bandeau (with the big diamonds) at the same time.

More information about the rosecut bandeau: http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/new_page_2.htm

Thank you Marengo for the great link. The bandau tiara and the tiara/necklace are both simply stunning!!!!!!

You're welcome kimebear :).
-

I wondered if any of the (belgian?) posters could provide some pictures of the stunning tiara's that were once in posession of the Belgian RF. Especially the floral tiara of Queen Marie-Henriette was quite a sight (as was the Cartier tiara of Queel Elisabeth). I am unable to find a picture of it, helas.

A not-seen-for-a-while tiara

This one's neither unidentified, mysterious nor lost, although its current whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen worn by Queen Frederika of Greece. Someone who knows about these things has stated elsewhere that the tiara is in safe hands and will make a reappearance at the appropriate time. So we'll file it under the heading of 'enigmatic'. :)

I imagine this spectacular and glittering jewel would be quite something to behold when seen in "real life".
pic credit: Copyright expired; Public Domain.

Queen Helen of Romania (neé Princess of Greece) 1934
Queen Sophie of Greece Diamond Tiara

PrincessQueenHelen1934.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear. I know many a royal conspiracy theorist that is now hoping that this magnificant jewel appears on the head of Princess Theodora when she marries Prince William!;)

As usual Warren, your archived goodies just start the whole day off nicely. Thanks so much!

guys u need to please stop posting the link to danjel's website since there are no more pictures on his site. :( :(

the tiara called The Sunray Tiara looks alot like Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden's Baden tiara well I think it does

rebbevb said:
guys u need to please stop posting the link to danjel's website since there are no more pictures on his site. :( :(
But there are many informations and if you know what you want to find and you know how it looks - there's no problem.

Warren said:
This one's neither unidentified, mysterious nor lost, although its current whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen worn by Queen Frederika of Greece. Someone who knows about these things has stated elsewhere that the tiara is in safe hands and will make a reappearance at the appropriate time. So we'll file it under the heading of 'enigmatic'. :)

I imagine this spectacular and glittering jewel would be quite something to behold when seen in "real life".
pic credit: Copyright expired; Public Domain.

First of all, Princess Helen was born in 1896 not in 1934. She married crown prince of Romania. The marriage ended in divorce.... then she sold her tiara to her brother the king of Greece. King Pavlos left the tiara to her wife Queen Frederika.​

In the early 70's when the Greek Royal family was exiled in Rome they were in need of money and Queen Frederika had to sell her tiara, its a pity we will never see Anne Maria or her daughters wearing this magnificent jewel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturn said:
First of all, Princess Helen was born in 1896 not in 1934.
Yes. 1934 was when the photograph was taken. I thought that was obvious?
Nevertheless, thank you for the information, and I'm sure we all hope to see this magnificant tiara make a glittering re-appearance. :)

Not sure if this post is here in the correct thread, but as it's slightly mysterious...

I just read in the Lonely Planet Guide to Copenhagen that most of the Danish Royal Jewels are considered a national treasure, so the queen is not permitted to take them out of the country. So what does she wear on a state visit to a foreign country? Did they buy new jewelery after the law was passed? And which ones did they buy in case?

That's right; most of the crown jewels is in a family foundation. If you take a look at Slaikjær's jewellery site - http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/margrethe6.html (use the back button at the bottom to see the other pages) - you can see examples of QMII's jewellery. For each picture it states whther it is privately owned jewellery or family foundation.
QMII often wears the pearl parure when abroad since this is apparently the only privately owned parure (and it wasn't even 'born' as a parure - it just goes well together)

In Denmark there are three kinds of Royal jewels
1- Crown jewels (they belong to the state)
2- family foundation jewels
3- private jewels

Only the Crown jewels can't leave the country, as a rule you can see these jewels on display at Rosenborg Castle.
When the Queen is travelling abroad she brings along the family foundation jewels or her private jewels.

For example, the emerald parure is part of the crown jewels the Queen is only allowed to wear it in Denmark
The pearl parure is part of the family foundation, the Queen can take it to foreign countries but then she has to give it back to the foundation, so that the parure can never leave the family.

reynard said:
Someone at the RJmb pointed out that the Iranian tiara is very similar, as if they had added yellow diamonds in place of pearls.What do you think?
The Iranian is so much preetier, IMHO. It has better proportions.
Thomas Parkman said:
To throw in my two cents: magnificent, just magnificent. I just hope that Cartier does not go out and perpetrate the vulgar example of Van Cleef and Arpels who removed the emeralds from the tiara of the Empress Marie Lousie and sold them off. They then sold the diamond studded frame to some American who had the thing bedecked with turquoises and then to compound the infamy gave it to the Smithsonian. I hope Cartier keeps the thing until somebody who will appreciate it comes along and buys it. Cheers.
Yes. It is a shame that such a beautiful piece is not being worn regularly.
Marengo said:
Here a picture of Queen Emma of The Netherlands with the dutch old crown parure. The necklace has the famous Stuart/Holland diamond. The parure was broken up to make the new crown parure.
the new Parure is so much better. One of the most impressive tiaras, ever.
Warren said:
This one's neither unidentified, mysterious nor lost, although its current whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen worn by Queen Frederika of Greece.
This Tiara is, absolutely, breathtaking.

Queen Victoria's emerald tiara

OK, I know that someone out here knows where this tiara is. Prince Albert designed four tiaras for Queen Victoria. Here is what I know about them.
The Oriental Circlet--in the possession of the Queen
The Sapphire Tiara--Earl and Countess of Harewood
The Emerald Tiara--WHERE IS IT????? I can't find out who has it. It's driving me crazy. Here's a link to a pic: http://news.webshots.com/photo/2662142090056005517xjIlEV

and, what is the fourth tiara? Wasn't it all diamonds? I cannot find it.

And, I just want to take a moment and say that it is a SHAME that the sapphire and the emerald tiaras are out of the public eye. They should be seen. They are so beautiful and a visual reminder of the great love of Victoria and Albert could really help the monarchy.

Thanks!
Janet

Queen Victoria's tiaras

jcbcode99 said:
OK, I know that someone out here knows where this tiara is. Prince Albert designed four tiaras for Queen Victoria. Here is what I know about them...
The Emerald Tiara--WHERE IS IT????? I can't find out who has it. It's driving me crazy.
and, what is the fourth tiara? Wasn't it all diamonds? I cannot find it.
The emerald tiara features on the front dust cover of Mr Munn's magnum opus, and also appears in the Wartski "One Hundred Tiaras" exhibition catalogue of 1997. This exhibition, put together by Munn, led him to compile "Tiaras - A History of Splendour".

In the catalogue the tiara is described as "a gold tiara profusely set with brilliant cut diamonds, rectangular and square cut emeralds and cabochon emerald drops. English. Circa 1845. Provenance: Queen Victoria. Generously lent by a descendant of Queen Victoria". "A History of Splendour" describes the tiara in the photograph on page 74 as from "Private Collection", but in the text (page 77) it gives ownership as appears in the Wartski catalogue.

I have pencilled in "possibly Duke of Fife" but that is purely my guess and I can't remember on what evidence I based it.

Queen Victoria's diamond tiara is discussed on page 82 of TaHoS - "a neo-classical sunburst" - and adds "By the time she had died, it had apparently passed to Princess Beatrice, who added it to her own Greek-key pattern tiara." (pic on page 85).
NB.. this also answers the question first raised at post #49 and discussed at some length thereafter.
Here's the pic:
pic taken 1911, copyright has expired.
Princess Beatrice of Great Britain
Coronation of King George V, 1911
Greek-key pattern tiara surmounted by Queen Victoria's sunray diadem

PrincessBeatriceGreekKeySunrayTiara.jpg

Last edited:
This tiara doesn't look at all like the tiara in the Winterhalter painting. I wonder after looking at that painting whether she wasn't wearing a lace headpiece and not a tiara at all.

Also in the the pictures of Queen Alexandra in this link:
Queen Alexandra pictures from fashion photos on webshots
(I hope I posted right) there is a photo of Alexandra wearing a tiara with several ovals. Where is that tiara and was it the predecessor of the necklace that diana used to wear that looked like amethyst beads with an oval center piece of diamonds?

Which picture? There's several of her with tiara's...:flowers:

Warren,
Thank you for the information about Queen Victoria's emerald tiara. While I am very sad that it is no longer seen, I am very pleased that it is (we think) still in the family and has not been auctioned off. But, I would just like to take a moment and say that this tiara, which appears to be the upper part of a fringe tiara added onto a greek key pattern tiara is, well, I can't say it delicately, it is ugly. It really is.

That brings about a whole other series of questions, though. When I was browsing around looking for who had possession of the emerald tiara, I founda site that showed the jewels of HRH Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, only daughter of Queen Mary, who was married to the Earl of Harewood (that family has the beautiful gothic sapphire tiara which Albert designed for Queen Victoria). The site showed several beautiful pieces that had been, GASP, sold at auction. Many pieces, actually. I am having trouble finding the site again. Does anyone know what pieces were sold? Thanks,
Janet

FOUND IT!
Ok, here is the link to Princess Mary, The Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood. Princess Mary

I just want to say that I think it is appaling that these jewels are sold so regularly to pay death duties! What is equally appaling is that the present Earl of Harewood is worth about 148 million pounds--so I think that he could have paid the duties and retained these beautiful pieces for his family. I also think that Queen Elizabeth needs to establish a foundation for the jewels--at least the ones associated with Queen Mary--because if she doesn't, some wonderful pieces of history are going to be lost and end up on Paris Hilton's head at a club while she party's the night away. THat would just be a shame.

As for Princess Mary's pieces, they are really lovely. It is nice that the fringe tiara is now owned by the Duke and Duchess of Westminster--at least it has stayed in the family.
Janet

jcbcode99 said:
I just want to say that I think it is appaling that these jewels are sold so regularly to pay death duties!
The problem is that aristocrats may be asset-rich, but the death duties need to be paid in cash or kind (eg paintings). Jewellery is easily convertable to cash, and I guess the family asks the reasonable question "how many tiaras, necklaces and bracelets do we need?"

We can assume that gifts of jewels were made to Royal Family members such as Mary Princess Royal, the Gloucesters and the Kents in the knowledge they would eventually be dispersed one or two generations along. This is why the "best" and most important pieces eventually ended up with the Queen (from Queen Mary and from the Queen Mother).

Princess Anne, the Yorks and the Wessexes haven't been showered with fabulous royal gems and multiple parures as was done for the marriages of George V and Queen Mary's children, although the capacious vaults beneath Buckinhgham Palace must have plenty to spare. Despite Mary's reputation as "the collector" she was very generous with her sons and daughter. Elizabeth II, by contrast, has been positively miserly in her gift-giving; even the Princess of Wales received just the one royal tiara. So maybe the Queen is well-aware of the problem of generational dispersal, and her solution is to not give them out in the first place.

Warren said:
This one's neither unidentified, mysterious nor lost, although its current whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen worn by Queen Frederika of Greece.
Wow, that is a piece of art....I'm impressed.:rolleyes:

Warren said:
.....So maybe the Queen is well-aware of the problem of generational dispersal, and her solution is to not give them out in the first place.
Eminently sensible! :)

However, if that is indeed the case, I wish she would be a little more generous with the "on loan" collection. :sad:

I think it is way past time for a "Family Foundation" or some such thing. These fabulous jewels are not just beautiful in and of themselves, they are almost a national treasure (pardon the pun) and as such should see the glorious light of day. :clap:

In these dreary and positively pedestrian days I think it would be wonderful to see occassions when these treasures were on display they way they were meant to be, on real people! :flowers:

At present we are relegated to the Hollywood "Red Carpet" parade of gaudy and tasteless excess. If we're going there, lets go for the real deal. Queen Elizabeth dripping in diamonds, The Princess Royal swimming in pearls, Camilla, Sophie, even Beatrice and Eugenie wallowing in the "good' stuff. :w00t2:

......Diamonds, Emeralds, Rubies, Sapphires, Aquamarines, Pearls..... Tiara's, earrings, necklaces, parures..... Bring them all on. Enough of this dreary egalitarian political correctness. :yuk:

Lets see the BRF give them something to talk about! Go Large! :p

(excuse me, I have to stop for a moment and fan myself ) :blush:

MARG said:
......Diamonds, Emeralds, Rubies, Sapphires, Aquamarines, Pearls..... Tiara's, earrings, necklaces, parures..... Bring them all on. Enough of this dreary egalitarian political correctness. :yuk: Lets see the BRF give them something to talk about! Go Large! :p
Quite.
Enough of this false modesty. If they've got it (and we know they have), they shoud flaunt it. "Dripping in diamonds" should be the theme.
Sunglasses on, we are waiting to be dazzled. :)

Dear Members,

Coould not agree with you more!!! It really is a question of having the courage of your convictions. WE need people with fearlessness. These people are not repulicans and should quit acting like they are. The dreary age of dull boredom has set in with its grey colorlessness and drab conformity. We live in an age of and culture of ugliness and depression.

So instead of apoligizing to the very ideologues who have made such a mess of the world perhaps we should have all those jewels etc with the pomp and circumstance out in the open and live those convictions that made the world if not necesaarily a better place but certainly a more colorful and cheerful one. Cheers.

Here Here!!!

I can only applaud and second what I have just read. If you've got it, flaunt it! Bring back the days of Queen Mary and Alexandra. It is a sin that the jewels just lay around Buckingham Palace waiting to be worn. However, Warren, you made an excellent point. Perhaps Queen Elizabeth is a bit miserly about the jewels because she has seen what has occurred over time as pieces were given to family members and then sold--so, perhaps she is trying to keep that from happening again. If so, I applaud her because is some ways that is a foundation. However, I do agree that she needs to loan some pieces out. Poor Sophie needs something much more elegant, but the Queen has done it right with Camilla! I am hoping that in some way, Camilla may revive some of the flair the Queen Mary possessed. Camilla looks fantastic in those massive tiaras--Delhi and Honeycomb. And, she has big hair. I would love to see the Teck Crescent Tiara make a reappearance. Tiara QEII I know that not a lot people like it, but I think it is probably stunning--and it has such a history to it!
And while I'm at it, the Wedding Tiara of Princess Alexandra would be nice to see, too. http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/United%20Kingdom/Queen%20Elizabeth/Tiara%20QEIIrest.

And, I leave you with this thought--Camilla in the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara with the Queen Mother's FIVE strand diamond necklace. I can only dream......
Janet

Back
Top Bottom