Unidentified, Mystery and Lost Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen Maud's tiara was stolen when it was for cleaning by Garrards . But the others ?

In 1995 the Norwegian Royal Family sent a number of items to Garrard’s in London for repairs,some items were sent back to Norway before the robbery.
As the tiara of Queen Maud was insure a replica was commissioned and worn by Queen Sonja in 1996.

The other jewels stolen did not belong to the Norwegian Royal Family.

And about the diamond tiara that belonged to Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson, which was stolen in 2012 and later thrown at sea, why nobody made a replica as did with the Queen Maud Pearl and Diamond?

And about the diamond tiara that belonged to Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson, which was stolen in 2012 and later thrown at sea, why nobody made a replica as did with the Queen Maud Pearl and Diamond?

And why the police not searched the area of the State Bridge, where the thieves thrown the jewel?

Last edited:

The replica of Queen Maud's pearl tiara was made from Garrards as replace for it and probably the amethysta now worn by Mette-marit where also part of the insecurance. perhaps there was none for Princess christina's tiara.

The replica of Queen Maud's pearl tiara was made from Garrards as replace for it and probably the amethysta now worn by Mette-marit where also part of the insecurance. perhaps there was none for Princess christina's tiara.

But any jeweller would recreate, like Garrard did with the replica of the Queen Maud's pearl tiara...

I don't know if Christina's tiara was stolen from a jeweler's where it's guaranteed to be safely stored, but that's not just a robbery but the reputation of an entire business.

I don't know if Christina's tiara was stolen from a jeweler's where it's guaranteed to be safely stored, but that's not just a robbery but the reputation of an entire business.

It was stolen from their home. By a person they knew, sadly.

It was stolen from their home. By a person they knew, sadly.

Right. A business (especially an established one like Garrard's) would feel the need to make restitution for their error.

With a simple robbery there is no one trying to make good, and it seems there was either no insurance or Christina perhaps used the money for something else.

That would be up to Princess Christina. She could have a replica made if she wanted to, but she hasn't. With access to the family jewels she most likely sees no need to get a new one of her own.
And why the police not searched the area of the State Bridge, where the thieves thrown the jewel?
There has been several attempts by divers from the police to find the tiara, but unfortunately without any luck.

There is an exhibition about Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand Duchess of Russia who became Princess of Orange in 1816 (200 years ago) and Queen of the Netherlands, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg in 1840.

A lot of jewels of the Queen went lost by fire, robbery or inheritance. An interesting piece showed up. Apparently in 1850, when Queen Anna Paulovna learned about the marriage of her Grootmeesteres ("Mistress of the Robes") Justina Maria Wilhelmina Baroness Van Nagell van Ampsen née Baroness Rengers, she spontaneously took off her jewels and gave it to her...

The Dutch noble family Van Nagell van Ampsen loaned these Orange-Nassau/Romanov jewels to the exhibition. They look surprisingly modern! Picture. I hope the family Van Nagell van Ampsen will give the King the first option when they would decide to sell it. Looks a nice and historic addition to the royal collection. The family still owns estates in the Netherlands and Germany, so they seem not too pauvre and in need to sell.
Anna Pavlovna’s emeralds were sold some years ago. I think they were inherited by her son who gambled with some of his jewels his mother gave him

But any jeweller would recreate, like Garrard did with the replica of the Queen Maud's pearl tiara...

Garrard remade it because the pearl tiara was being stolen when the tiara was being sent to them for clearing. It's Garrard lost the tiara so they have remade it as a compensation for NRF. And for the jeweler of Christina's tiara of course they can recreate it but they also have no reason to recreate it. The lost of Christina's tiara has nothing to do with its jeweler so unlike Garrard the jeweler has zero responsibility to remake it, unless Christina or SRF requests it and pays the cost.

Last edited:
Anna Pavlovna’s emeralds were sold some years ago. I think they were inherited by her son who gambled with some of his jewels his mother gave him

I am not quite sure about that. Half of Queen Anna's jewels went to her daughter GDss Sophie of Weimar. Prince Hendrik received 1/4 of his mother's jewels and King Willem III the other quarter, including the drop aquamarine which was given in 1820 as a birthday present by her husband.

Prince Hendrik was not known to be a gambler. King Willem III had a mistress who received a lot of presents, but I do not recall reading about him gambling either. Apart from these lavish gifts to his mistress he was notoriously frugal. His son the Prince of Orange lived in Paris and did gamble, but he never had access to Queen Anna's jewels.

After Hendrik's death his jewels also went to his sister Sophie except the sapphires, as Q. Anna had stipulated that in the case of Hendrik's death without children these should go to the main line.

Jewelry historian M. Akkerman said he visited het Loo palace with a descendants of GDss Sophie, Cornelie Brena. Mrs Brena said that the family owned no jewels at all, except a taxation report. I don't know if she referred to her -morganatic- branch of the family or the entire family.

The emerald necklace I thought went to the Weimar family and was seen at an auction some years ago. I can't find a photo of it on google sadly.

The family supposedly had one of the largest jewel collections of Germany.

Last edited:
I am not quite sure about that. Half of Queen Anna's jewels went to her daughter GDss Sophie of Weimar. Prince Hendrik received 1/4 of his mother's jewels and King Willem III the other quarter, including the drop aquamarine which was given in 1820 as a birthday present by her husband.

Prince Hendrik was not known to be a gambler. King Willem III had a mistress who received a lot of presents, but I do not recall reading about him gambling either. Apart from these lavish gifts to his mistress he was notoriously frugal. His son the Prince of Orange lived in Paris and did gamble, but he never had access to Queen Anna's jewels.

After Hendrik's death his jewels also went to his sister Sophie except the sapphires, as Q. Anna had stipulated that in the case of Hendrik's death without children these should go to the main line.

Jewelry historian M. Akkerman said he visited het Loo palace with a descendants of GDss Sophie, Cornelie Brena. Mrs Brena said that the family owned no jewels at all, except a taxation report. I don't know if she referred to her -morganatic- branch of the family or the entire family.

The emerald necklace I thought went to the Weimar family and was seen at an auction some years ago. I can't find a photo of it on google sadly.

The family supposedly had one of the largest jewel collections of Germany.
Probably it ended up with the Weimar family who then sold it. Check the court jeweller page, they have the image of the necklace

There’s also the House of Orange pearls. Two of the necklaces were gifted to the Hohenzollerns and one ended up with the Duke of Anhalt

Thank you both for the quick responses! I think you're both correct.

You're quite welcome. And it's interesting, that Princess Margaret was given this honour in June 1947, when she was still only 16 years old, and was the second last person to receive it, as the Order ceased to be granted after India was partitioned two months later.

The late Queen received the order at the same time as her younger sister - I assume their father 'snuck them in', and granted the Order to them while he still could.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom