The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
A poster on the Royal Jewels of the World message board stated that the tiara was not auctioned off and is still in the family and is very reliable with information he posts so I tend to believe this version instead of the story on the blog.
I agree, Katrianna. In addition the discussion at RJW included what IMO is the most plausible explanation. Strapped for cash, Constantine - who does not work or earn a wage of any sort - may have made an arrangement with a bank or financial institution where he borrowed money, put the tiara up for collateral and it is held in trust by the lender. It would explain why it has neither been worn nor seen (as it could not then be used in any jewel exhibition) and has not turned up in any known auction. The lack of auction documentation, especially with jewelry bloodhounds among this group and others, makes an auction scenario highly unlikely IMHO.

As far as the tiara itself...while I would love to see it again, I almost don't want to since there are only two women in the Greek Royal Family who have to face-shape, body-type, and hairstyle to carry off such a piece - Anne-Marie and Alexia. It is a really prominent piece and looked overwhelming on a young Frederike, and just too much on Sophie's daughter Helen (who had delicate features) in the picture posted. It wasn't until Frederike was older, a little heavier (although she was never even chunky...just womanly), and with a bigger hairstyle that it looked appropriate. Even Queen Sophie, although a petite woman, had soft, full facial features and the big hairstyles of the times so it looked alright. On someone like Tatiana or Marie-Chantal...their sharp, angular features would be overpowered by this piece in much the same way they were both overpowered by their big, lacy wedding gowns, which is a shame because IMO they are both more attractive than the Greek royal women and had the opportunity to be truly stunning on their wedding days...but that was not to be.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Commoner

Question where is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
This tiara is made by Köchert. The answer comes from Volker on Royal Jewels Message Board.

"Theophil von Hansen - an achitect(!!) and a friend of Köchert provided the designs for the beautiful diadem named "Byzantine" and for a swan parure composed if pendant and earrings. The artistry and craftsmanship manifested by the "Byzantine" diadem, with its harmonious juxtapositions of diamonds and pearls was judged impeccable and won for Köchert the first prize for jewellery at the World Exhibition in Vienna in 1873. Pictures of it frequently appeared - and still appear today - in ilustrated purblications in Germany, France, England and America.Unfortunately the diadem was later dismantled!"

Correct though it wasnt dismantled the Queens sister knew of its whereabouts perhaps because of her own lineage of Edward VII

Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
As far as the tiara itself...while I would love to see it again.
As would I Anna maria would look great in it
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Gentry

An Unknown Tiara

I'm not sur where to post this so I'm sorry if it is on the wrong place...

I was wonderiring about this tiara

Does it have a name? Who does it belong to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiaras 0036.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	276497  
Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

It's a Kokoshnik-style tiara made in 1910, possibly Cartier, and that's all I know.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I was wonderiring about this tiara

Does it have a name? Who does it belong to?
This tiara was originally owned by the Viscount Clive and was sold in Switzerland a few years ago. Now it's in the Albion Art Collection.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Sotheby's - Auctions - Calendar - Arts of The Islamic World

Does someone knows more about this tiara from he Ottoman Empire?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiara.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	276559  

Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Well we can stop talking about the "missing" Greek Tiara, aka: Queen Sophie's Tiara, aka: Queen Frederika's Tiara in this thread.

Many have mentioned here, that someone on the Royal Jewels message board had stated a few years ago, that the tiara hadn't been sold and was in safe hands, and tonight we've seen it for the first time in decades, on the head of Crown Princess Pavlos (Marie-Chantal) of Greece. Yay!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Dx7di/x610.jpg
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Serene Highness

Nice to see a piece that was presumed lost/sold but I think it was inappropriate that M-C wore a tiara that was more substantial than that worn by the Guest of Honour and has taken so much of the discussion due to it's reappearance.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Nobility

Does anyone know who now has the coronet that Countess Estelle Barnadotte wore when she got married?

This picture of her was linked in a thread about her and shows the coronet.

Royal Musings: Estelle Manville marries Folke Bernadotte
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Royal Highness

Don’t worry, it’s still in the family! The crown was worn by Nathalie Frediani in May 2011, when she married Count Edward Bernadotte.

Getty Images - Suchen: nathalie frediani#
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Don’t worry, it’s still in the family! The crown was worn by Nathalie Frediani in May 2011, when she married Count Edward Bernadotte.
Getty Images - Suchen: nathalie frediani#
Thank you for the info. I tried to find better photos online but wasn't able to. I think this coronet is such a sweet piece. It reminds me of the Alexandrine drop tiara because when worn high it also looks like a coronet(hope I'm making sense here because I'm not as well versed in these things as other posters).
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Tiaras, Lost and Found

Very interesting! I had no idea that some of these tiaras were forgotten.Especially those gorgeous Delhi and Queen Sophie's Diamond tiaras!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy

Yesterday I came across a photo of a tiara labeled as Boucheron, the Queen Mother's diamond coronet 1901. While I agree that tiara looks like Boucheron pieces from that time, I can't think of a Queen Mother who might have owned/worn it. Any information will be appreciated!
You can see the tiara here - Link

I just remembered that in 1921 a diamond tiara from Mrs. Greville's collection (pictured in Roberts' The Queen's Diamonds) was dismantled to make the tiara that was commonly worn by Queen Elizabeth and now by The Duchess of Cornwall. Perhaps this is the original tiara? I don't have the book, but perhaps s.o. who has it can confirm/deny this theory.

Thanks in advance,
Bobby
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Well we can stop talking about the "missing" Greek Tiara, aka: Queen Sophie's Tiara, aka: Queen Frederika's Tiara in this thread.

Many have mentioned here, that someone on the Royal Jewels message board had stated a few years ago, that the tiara hadn't been sold and was in safe hands, and tonight we've seen it for the first time in decades, on the head of Crown Princess Pavlos (Marie-Chantal) of Greece. Yay!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Dx7di/x610.jpg
Thank you for the picture! what was the event that its was seen?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

That was at Queen Margrethe of Denmark's Jubilee dinner for her 40 years on the throne back in January 2012. That tiara made a stunning and wholly unexpected appearance!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Majesty

Do anyone have some information on these set of British Royal Jewels?
http://regalmajesty.tumblr.com/image/34117871354

I recognize some of the brooches The Queen wears to this day but the tiara's and many of the necklaces look very unfamiliar to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

That picture was taken from "The Ageless Diamond" exhibition at Christie's in 1959 - and only a few of the jewels belong to the British Royal Family.
I've attached a picture where jewels I have recognised are circled.

- British royal jewellery in green:
1. Granny's Chips (in the centre, below the Kokoshnik tiara)
2. Williamson Pink Diamond Brooch (to the right of the Granny's Chips)
3. Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik Tiara (top row, the central one among the tiaras)
4. King George's or The Queen Mother's Garter Star (to the left of the Granny's Chips)
5. The South African Diamond Necklace and Bracelet (centre, below the Granny's Chips)

- Other (non-British royal pieces) I've recognized in white:
1. Marquis of Anglesley Tiara (top left)
2. Duchess of Northumberland Strawberry Leaf Tiara (top right)
3. Queen Marie Antoinette's Diamond Tiara (lower left corner) *
4. Queen Marie Antoinette's Diamond Necklace (below the necklace)*
5. Eureka South African Yellow Diamond (mounted in a ring - right below Marie-Antoinette's tiara)
6. The Nepal Diamond (mounted in a diamond necklace - the one on the left, next to the Garter Star)
7. 10.3 carat pink cushion shaped diamond (mounted in a ring - in the centre, below the Queen's South African necklace and bracelet)
8. 128 carat diamond that belonged to shipping tycoon Stavros Niarchos (mounted in a diamond necklace - the one on the right, next to Mathilde's rose)

- In pink are the jewels I'm not too sure about:
1. Almost certain it's Mathilde Bonaparte's rose (on the right, below the Strawberry Leaf Tiara)
2. Not sure, but it could be one of Queen Mary's (on the left, below the Marquis of Anglesley Tiara)

* Marie Antoinette's Tiara was (and probably still is) in possession of the Spencer family. The necklace is also known as the Sutherland Necklace; it consists of the 17 of the larger diamonds from Marie-Antoinette's necklace (THE famous necklace that contributed to the revolution).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	template.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	286943  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What a wonderful collection of photo's and information...where do you get the time
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

With the help of two magical words: gap year.

Tags
baden, crown jewels, jewellery, lost, mystery, princess theodora, unidentified