The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Serene Highness

On the Royal Jewels Board two different posters stated that they knew from reliable sources that diamond tiara was still in the Greek royal family, but it was also said that it did not go to Prince Nikolaos. If this information is correct, then it is still a mystery why Queen Anne-Marie never wore it.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Courtier

There is a possibility that this tiara was inherited by Princess Irene, and since she is not wearing tiaras ( I mean after the 70's I haven't seen her using any tiara)the tiara will probably reappear if she bestowed it to a niece/nephew or after the lady passes away and her jewellery is inherited by family members ( But let's not discuss the inheritance matter she is quite young and there is no need to think from now this sad possibility)

Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

I think i have once seen a photo of her wearing the circle tiara (which was worn by Infanta Elena in 1993). It looked like it was taken in the 80's.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Courtier

I see. I thought that the princess haven't been wearing tiaras but I was mistaken. By the way you said that Infanta Elena wore her aunt's circle tiara. Is she the current owner of the tiara or it was only lented ?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
On the Royal Jewels Board two different posters stated that they knew from reliable sources that diamond tiara was still in the Greek royal family, but it was also said that it did not go to Prince Nikolaos. If this information is correct, then it is still a mystery why Queen Anne-Marie never wore it.
I believe the poster(s) hinted that there were some financial issues, related to tax? But I suppose they should have been resolved in 3 decades.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I don't know what tiara we're talking about...
Here's a good picture of the tiara in question [post #98].
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
I see. I thought that the princess haven't been wearing tiaras but I was mistaken. By the way you said that Infanta Elena wore her aunt's circle tiara. Is she the current owner of the tiara or it was only lented ?
That's not known. She wore it only once at the pre Wedding Ball of Duke Fiedrich of Württemberg and princess marie zu Wied in 1993 and never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I believe the poster(s) hinted that there were some financial issues, related to tax? But I suppose they should have been resolved in 3 decades.
Could it have to do with inheritance taxes?

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 AM

Unidentified Crown Jewels!

Hi,

I have found this picture in some documents of my grandmothers. She said they are a picture of the jewels that Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark tried to have smuggled out of Germany during WW2. I have not been able to confirm this yet as I have been unable to find these jewels in any photos of her or their children.

Please take a look. If you can help me I would love to know the history of these jewels and where they are now.

Thank you

Edited to add photo
Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Thanks for the picture! I am not able to identify any of the jewels, as none of them looks familiar to me and I do not remember any picture where princess Theodora is wearing these jewels (I believe during the wedding of Ingrid of Sweden she borrowed the rubies from princess Nicholas of Greece for example).

I always thought it was princess Margarita of Hohenlohe who was trying to hide the jewels somewhere in the garden, where they were discovered by Americans. I wonder why they needed to hide / smuggle it though.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Royal Highness

You are thinking, maybe, of the Hesse jewels? Hidden at the Empress Frederick's home. Two Americans, may they burn in hell, discovered them and stole them and sold some of them. What was recovered was not all of the jewels. It saddens me that royals got screwed during WWI and WII. If their property is their property, jewel or real estate-wise, and were stolen or confiscated..ILLEGALLY, then they should have retribution...
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Help to identify jewels

This medallion made in ivory was bought on an antique shop. I tried to discover who is the portrayed lady, but I was unable to. Also tried to find a clue by the tiara and necklace design, but still nothing. If anyone is able to identify this person, I'd appreciate.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

How lovely! I really can't pin it down, but I'll take a wild guess and say that it almost looks Persian?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Rezzutti View Post
This medallion made in ivory was bought on an antique shop. I tried to discover who is the portrayed lady, but I was unable to. Also tried to find a clue by the tiara and necklace design, but still nothing. If anyone is able to identify this person, I'd appreciate.
Lovely medallion with the portrait of Marie-Julie Bonaparte, Queen of Spain
Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM

She´s not Marie-Julie, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
Lovely medallion with the portrait of Marie-Julie Bonaparte, Queen of Spain
Thanks but she cannot be Marie-Julie Bonaparte. The portrayed lady has blue eyes. All portraits of Marie-Julie picture her with dark eyes
Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
How lovely! I really can't pin it down, but I'll take a wild guess and say that it almost looks Persian?
Thank you for the guess. I tried to find jewels from Persia, but I was unable to match these ones. They was of a different style.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 AM

Hi all great jewellery lovers - would like any info about a sapphire and diamond necklace that appears in Crown Jewels by Prince Michael of Greece - pg 111 - it has to be one of th grandest and most sumptuous necklaces that has ever belonged to European Royalty. The text states that it was owned by Queen Maria Christina of Spain and was sold at Christies in 1982 for $297,000 - has it been seen since and on who? Hope that someone can help as it has really caught my intrest with its beauty and richness.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

I have a question about this tiara of Queen Marie of Romania.. does anyone have any information on it as I'm researching it for my page.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
This one's neither unidentified, mysterious nor lost, although its current whereabouts are unknown. It was last seen worn by Queen Frederika of Greece. Someone who knows about these things has stated elsewhere that the tiara is in safe hands and will make a reappearance at the appropriate time. So we'll file it under the heading of 'enigmatic'.

I imagine this spectacular and glittering jewel would be quite something to behold when seen in "real life".
pic credit: Copyright expired; Public Domain.

Queen Helen of Romania (neé Princess of Greece) 1934
Queen Sophie of Greece Diamond Tiara

There would seem to be other pictures of this tiara, too bad there is no information on it.. could use it. Here Sophie of Prussia, granddaughter of Queen Victoria and Albert wears it .. it seems to be on top of her head in this picture though. No copyright as it came from Wikipedia. Is this tiara like the Spanish Tiara with Flower of Lis which can be worn open or closed? There are other pictures showing her wearing the tiara like this.

Here is another pic of Queen Sophie at an older age..

Copyright expired on picture.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy

As a follow up to my last post.. it explains here what happened to the tiara, but is this true? Mad Hattery! » HM Queen Friedrike
Quote:
This diamond tiara — Queen Sophia’s Diamond Tiara — was brought to Greece by Friedrike’s mother-in-law, who was born Princess Sophie of Prussia. When Sophie married the future King Constantine I of Greece in 1889, she was given this tiara by her mother, Empress Frederick of Prussia (who is probably more familiar to royal history buffs as Princess Vicky – the eldest child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert).
The tiara was a truly impressive diamond sparkler, and one that I wish we could see either Queen Sofia or Queen Anne-Marie wear today, but alas: most believe that, strapped for cash, Friedrike sold it at auction in the ’70s.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

A poster on the Royal Jewels of the World message board stated that the tiara was not auctioned off and is still in the family and is very reliable with information he posts so I tend to believe this version instead of the story on the blog.

Tags
baden, crown jewels, jewellery, lost, mystery, princess theodora, unidentified