The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Royal Highness

I still think the long-unseen scroll tiara (worn by QEQM, Princess Margaret, and Princess Anne) is a serious contender. It appears to be lightweight, is composed of all diamonds (meaning it goes with everything for future events), and has royal connections but not a strong royal history. It would also look lovely with a veil.
Anne, Princess Royal Jewellery

Perhaps a fringe tiara will show up; Queen Mary had a narrow one, there's the one QEII and Anne wore for their weddings, and I think there may be another one floating around.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

That scroll tiara is beautiful. It's youthful enough for a bride but majestic enough for a princess. I suppose it's still in the Queen's collection even though Princess Margaret wore it so frequently?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thumbs up

I think you are so right, the scroll tiara would be perfect. Its smaller for a new princess but packs a lot of punch, I had forgotten about that piece. GREAT THINKING!!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Courtier

I would love to see William's bride wear the Strathmore Rose Tiara. It would be nice to see another future Queen Consort wear it on her wedding day.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we could be entering a new "Golden Age". The Queen set the tone by changing her whole look after the death of the Queen Mum. Where before she was a little staid and conservative, she has entered her second "White" wardrobe for gala events and we are now treated to fabulous parures a la the State Banquet for the French President. She has also gifted the use of two fabulous historically significant tiaras (and not a few diamond necklaces and earrings) for her daughter-in-law Camilla.

That being the case, what wonders will she unearth from the vaults for William and Harry's brides? Somehow I think she is going to "go large". Nothing so discreet as to be insignificant here I think, rather something really amazing and, if we are really lucky, historic.

As an aside, we hear reports that the York Princesses are to start "working for the firm" and if that is so . . . well then, even more goodies.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Somehow I think she is going to "go large". Nothing so discreet as to be insignificant here I think, rather something really amazing and, if we are really lucky, historic.
MARG, do you mean large as in size or large as in degree of grandeur? Because while I definitely could see the Queen bestowing tiaras with significant amounts of sparkle and glam to any future young princesses, I can't see either of the current royal girlfriends pulling off some of the rather big tiaras that Camilla has worn, like the Delhi Durbar or the Boucheron. They just don't have the hair for it, I don't think, as Camilla does. (Though that's not to say that their eventual royal brides, whoever they may be, won't.)

I am totally with you on hoping for something historic, though. If the Queen would part with the Girls of Great Britain tiara, I think that one would be perfect for a young royal bride. But I'm not sure that she would.

HM The Queen
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
. . . . do you mean large as in size or large as in degree of grandeur?
Degree of grandeur and hopefully history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay
. . . . I can't see either of the current royal girlfriends pulling off some of the rather big tiaras . .
Quite right, nor even a small one. Niether has the quantity "X" required for that. Strangely I don't see it as a question of age as Princess Mary managed to pull of the entire Queen Desiree Ruby Parure before the wedding, which would make her in her late 20's?

But, and this is a punt, we have only seen them with long hair. Neither seems to have the self-confidence it takes for an "updo" let alone a tiara, but we may yet be surprised.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Courtier

I would love to see HM the Queen surprise us. I think there are still a few of Q Mary's mysterious bandeaus in the vaults, perhaps one of those would suit the elegence and simplicity of a modern royal bride. I would hate to see anything too heavy-looking, especially for the wedding ceremony.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
But, and this is a punt, we have only seen them with long hair. Neither seems to have the self-confidence it takes for an "updo" let alone a tiara, but we may yet be surprised.
So true, MARG -- and Kate Middleton's certainly got enough hair to pull off an elegant updo. Perhaps she (or whoever William does end up marrying) will surprise us and wear royal jewels with as much panache as the Duchess of Cornwall has over the last few years. Kate's simple and classic clothing choices might lend themselves well to some major sparkly accessories.

HM The Queen
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Mary did have this delighful diamond bandeau referred to as the "Lozenge" tiara. I dont' have a pic, but it would make a lovely first tiara.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Is it the one pictured on Princess Margaret at this link, Janet (scroll down)? There are pictures of Queen Mary wearing it also, but it has what looks to be some removable spike pieces. I quite like the bandeau style that Margaret's wearing. It would be good for a young royal bride -- like a "training tiara"!

HM The Queen
Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Royal Highness

That's it, Ella Kay! Great pic. I think it would be great for a young royal bride--and it has royal significance. I hope Bea or Eugenie don't end up with it--I hate to see Queen Mary's things leave the main branch and disappear like the pieces given to the Harewoods and the Kents.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quite right, but I don't thaink that will happen. The Queen has been quite sensitive to this point in her giving her daughters in law jewellery. Diana and Camilla have received pieces major pieces with a lot of history attached, while Sarah and Sophie received either new pieces, or ones with relatively little historical significance.

The Queen is the first monarch after the death of Queen Mary, and to some extent, must have felt the impact of Queen Mary's fairly wide distribution of royal jewels to her children. Given the size of the royal jewellery collection under Queen Mary it is amazing that as the Queen, Elisabeth II did not have tiaras with rubies (noit counting the Oriental circlet, being used by the QM at the time) or sapphires till she ordered ones herself. Even now, I think the only tiara with emerals that the royal family has is the Vladimir, with the emerald drops
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness

So true; in fact, and I hate to even say this, but when you look it objectively, Sweden really has the most variety in their jewels that we've seen. Silvia wears rubies, sapphires, amethysts, diamonds, pink topazes, cut steel, etc... with regularity. Sometimes I feel like all I see on HM QEII are pearls and diamonds. Queen Mary really misjudged the future when she handed off the Cambridge sapphires and Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara and necklace. And the turquoises! Mary gave away the ones the Gloucester's own, but then the Queen Mum gave Margaret the Persian Flames tiara and who knows when we'll see it again? I must take a moment and applaud the Gloucester's, who have kept their pieces intact.
I have to say, I think Camilla has fared quite well so far--the Durbar, the honeycomb, diamond rivieres, emerald earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, brooches, the whole lot. Diana, had she liked brooches and not developed headaches when wearing tiaras, would likely have worn a great many pieces not seen in years as well.
As for Sophie and Sarah--well, Sarah certainly did not get anything of historic value, but Sophie's wedding tiara is composed of pieces of one of Queen Victoria's tiaras, so I would say that has some history attached. I'd like to see the Wessexes get some other pieces--he'll be the Duke of Edinburg, he already has a son to ensure the line of succession to the Dukedom--perhaps QEII will give her the rubies or something. I don't know, but I have a feeling Sophie will get a nice set of jewelry at some time.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Nut the Gloucesters had i more eaisier as there was only one surviving child. I wonder what will happen in the future with them as thei children will also have not much use for tiaras etc.
Not only the swedish also the dutch royakls have a lot of variety in their jewels the are only not worn regulary. The have parures of rubies, sapphires, aquamarines, emeralds.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Commoner

Is that true, that Edward Wessex will become Edward Edinburgh? I would have guessed Harry would get that title on Phillip's death...interesting.

Oh, the Cambridge sapphires! I love them even more than the Cambridge emeralds, which I like quite a lot indeed...and that turquoise tiara I've seen Birgitte Gloucester in is simply gorgeous.

I don't think I know the Persian Flames tiara of Margaret's: I know the Poltimore was sold (to a wealthy Chinese lady, I believe), which I thought was one of the most beautiful of all royal tiaras anywhere, but maybe I've never seen this one?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I love all the Cambridge jewels, and for that reason I'm really hoping that either William or Harry is made Duke of Cambridge. The title would also have a symbolic, though not overt, link to Diana, through her use of the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara and some of the Cambridge emeralds.

HM The Queen
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I love all the Cambridge jewels, and for that reason I'm really hoping that either William or Harry is made Duke of Cambridge. The title would also have a symbolic, though not overt, link to Diana, through her use of the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara and some of the Cambridge emeralds.

Would William be made a duke at all? I guess so, if Charles is still Prince of Wales when Wills marries or turns 21 or whatever. Duke of Cambridge has such a nice sound to it...and I'm sure his wife would appreciate the Cambridge emeralds.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

When Charles ascends William will automotically become HRH Prince William, the Duke of Cornwall, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to bestow another Dukedom on him. Perhaps Harry will end up as the next Duke of Cambridge; it is a title used by junior members of the BRF. I believe the last Duke of Cambridge was Queen Mary's uncle on her mother's side, Prince George.

Back to jewels--in discussing other Royal Families jewels, I completely forgot about the Dutch! Here is a piece which staggers my mind; http://www.royaldutchjewels.nl/new_page_2.htm when I see it on Maxima
I say the BRF break up a couple of those rivieres (they have countless ones) and make a bandeau tiara such as this.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Royal Highness

Here's Margaret's Persian flames of love--the most beautiful turquoise piece of them all, in my own humble opinion:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1124786689

After consulting Field again, the Gloucester parue was the original Teck parue, not this one. This parue, the Prussian Flames, was a wedding gift to QEQM when she married George, and then she passed it down to Margaret.
As an aside, while I loved Princess Margaret and her vivacity--I LAMENT the selling of those jewels and I LAMENT that we will never really see the Turquoise parue or the Papyrus tiara often again, now being in the possession of Linley. Those are such beautiful pieces!

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry