The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
William's wedding, or Harry's, would be an excellent time to mend some bridges. (Although I'm not sure what the senior Windsors would think.)

It's obvious both boys have expressed pride in their mother and her heritage when they selected scallop shells for their coats of arms.
Keep in mind that Diana herself did not have a very good relationship with her family, so the boys are hardly close to them anyway, with the possible exception of Lady Jane Fellowes.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Added pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I have always thought it would be a lovely gesture if Earl Spencer were to loan William's wife the Spencer tiara for her wedding. Just to add a touch of remembrance to the event.
I find this a bit icky. Isn't it tantamount to "crowning" William's bride as "the new Diana"? I don't think the bride-to-be would have a bar of it. She will be under enough pressure and scrutiny as it is; why would she go out of her way to invite and encourage the inevitable Diana comparisons? Either a Royal tiara, or one from the bride's own family, would be more appropriate, IMO. Perhaps a Spencer motif in the bridal gown embroidery would be OK. In any case, aren't weddings about looking forward rather than looking back? But I can understand that in William's mind he would be wishing his mother was there to witness his marriage. So there will be emotional elements on several levels. Will be interesting when it happens!

Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
marry a commoner who will likely wear a royal tiara (most likely the Lover's Knot Tiara worn by Diana).
God I hope not! There are so many lovely old tiaras in the royal vaults that need an airing. I hope she gets to wear something like the Nizam of Hyderabad (now that we know it still exists).
Old 08-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
God I hope not! There are so many lovely old tiaras in the royal vaults that need an airing. I hope she gets to wear something like the Nizam of Hyderabad (now that we know it still exists).
Is it? According to Leslie Field's authorized book, "The Queen's Jewels", the Hyderabad tiara was broken up in 1973 to provide diamonds for the Burmese Ruby tiara the Queen had made.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Is it? According to Leslie Field's authorized book, "The Queen's Jewels", the Hyderabad tiara was broken up in 1973 to provide diamonds for the Burmese Ruby tiara the Queen had made.
There has been some discussion of this lately in another thread. According to Geoffrey Munn's "Tiara's, A History of Splendour" the Burmese Ruby Tiara was made from 96 Rubies given as a gift from the people of Burma & loose diamonds from the royal collection. Munn, who works for Wartski, is adament that the Nizam tiara is still in existence. T,AHOS is probably the most credible book written on the subject and with Munn's eminence in the British jewellery trade his research must be thought to be highly credible. Leslie Fields book is excellent but she did not have the access to the jewels and the records that Munn had.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting. I wonder why she never wears it, then; it's a beautiful piece.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it would send an awful message if William's bride were to appear wearing the Spencer tiara (unless she was a member of the Spencer family, of course). It'd look as though the Earl was trying to control William and that William was letting him do it. People got beheaded in the Middle Ages for that sort of thing!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Leslie Fields book is excellent but she did not have the access to the jewels and the records that Munn had.
That is incorrect. Leslie Fields did the book in cooperation with each Royal Household at the time and the photographs and text were approved by the Queen. Some of the photos were archived, but others were new ones taken specifically for the book. She received assistance from the Royal Archives as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Nobility

Not meaning to nit pick but although his surname is Windsor, he is a decendant of both the Windsor (By his Father) and Spencer (By his Mother) family lines.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100
I think we can drop the idea of William's future wife wearing anything really associated with Diana. She needs to establish her own identity away from Diana. I would not want to be in her shawdow either. As far as the Spencer tiara, william is not a spencer but a windsor. She will not wear it, and the Spencer family won't loan it. There is no need. Besides the Spencers and the Windsors really don't associate too much anymore. And I doubt the Earl would want to remove a key piece from his museum.

Windsors have pleanty of tiaras, and have enought tiaras to buy a new one if needed. I would love to see more of the tiaras worn by Princess Anne and princess margaret. They were so beautiful. It is a shame the Queen Mum sold the Amythest tiara. It was such a beautiful set!!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100
I think we can drop the idea of William's future wife wearing anything really associated with Diana. She needs to establish her own identity away from Diana.
It's part of the royal tradition to wear jewels passed down from generation to generation. Some of Diana's jewels were gifts to her from the royal family, the Saudi Crown Prince and the Gulf oil emirs. These items comprised her personal property and were left to Princes William and Harry for their future wives to wear.

The Lover's Knot tiara, the Cambridge emerald art deco choker, the Prince of Wales pendant, the Sri Lankan sapphire, the Swiss diamond watch, and a pearl and diamond choker were all gifts to Diana from the royal collection from the Queen or the Queen Mother. In her divorce agreement, Diana agreed she would not sell or lend any of these jewels for her lifetime, which were designated for Prince William after her death.

These jewels were returned to the Queen after Diana died and will be given to William when he marries. So, it's very likely Diana's jewels will reappear on a future Princess William.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Courtier

I think it's important to remember that HM the Queen has quite a few tiaras up her sleeve--ones that have not been seen in public for close to a century. There is really no telling which tiara she might bestow upon a granddaughter-in-law...especially since she will be the wife of the heir.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Aristocracy

I would really like to see William's wife receive the County of Surrey Diamond Tiara, which the County of Surrey gave to Queen Mary as a wedding present. Hopefully it's one of those tiaras hidden away in the vaults. Here's a link (you need to scroll down the page): http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Unite...Irest.htm#mary. If the Queen doesn't want to give it to William's wife, I'd be quite content if the Countess of Wessex were to receive this tiara...
Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
I think it's important to remember that HM the Queen has quite a few tiaras up her sleeve--ones that have not been seen in public for close to a century. There is really no telling which tiara she might bestow upon a granddaughter-in-law...especially since she will be the wife of the heir.
I completely agree, look at Sophie's wedding tiara, supposedly a piece from Queen Mary 's collection (Or am I mistaken? I can never quite keep up), I'm sure the Queen has something else in her vault, another tiara not seen, not seen for awhile, or a tiara converted from something else,... whatever it is I can't wait to see
Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Courtier

Hmmm... I had actually heard conflicting stories about the Countess of Wessex's tiara--one that it was a family piece (or created from parts of a family piece), and another that it was purchased from Garrard's, and that the countess has received no pieces from the family collection.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Serene Highness

But I think, that future William's wife will get some of family jewels and she will get some modern pieces too.
Anyway, Sophies wedding tiara scares me- better new pieces of jewelry, than old family jewels which are just ugly.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
Hmmm... I had actually heard conflicting stories about the Countess of Wessex's tiara--one that it was a family piece (or created from parts of a family piece), and another that it was purchased from Garrard's, and that the countess has received no pieces from the family collection.
It is not a family piece. It was designed by Prince Edward, created by Garrard's and purchased by The Queen for Sophie. Sarah's tiara was also purchased by The Queen from Garrard's.

Diana and Camilla are the only royal spouses to have received any pieces from the Sovereign's collection of jewels. The Duchess of Gloucester actually has many pieces belonging to Queen Mary, which she inherited from Princess Alice.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
But I think, that future William's wife will get some of family jewels and she will get some modern pieces too.
William's wife will receive most, if not all, of Diana's jewels as the future Princess of Wales, so I think she will have plenty of things to wear!
Old 07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Oh to be in the room as he present the jewels to her!! I would think maybe, if it is not too sensitive, to see her in the Lover's Knot tiara. I believe that is the one Diana wore, and if not, please someone correct me.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
Oh to be in the room as he present the jewels to her!! I would think maybe, if it is not too sensitive, to see her in the Lover's Knot tiara. I believe that is the one Diana wore, and if not, please someone correct me.
The Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara is one of two tiaras worn by Diana, the other being the Spencer family tiara. The Spencer tiara is owned by the Earl Spencer and chances of Williams wife wearing it, are slim and also inappropriate as she would not be a Spencer herself before marriage nor marrying the Earl Spencer. The Lover's Knot tiara was worn fairly frequently by QEII as a young woman as well as Diana, but Diana reportedly disliked it as it was heavy and gave her headaches.

My personal favorite would be the Strathmore Rose given to the Queen Mother on the occasion of her wedding by her father. The wild rose motif is romantic, apropriate for a love match, and the tiara itself young and petite in style as Williams bride will surely be herself.

photo courtesy of Geoffrey C. Munn's Tiaras: A History of Splendour
By Gracious permission of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
Old 07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

I love this tiara. Have someone recently worn this?

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry