The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Serene Highness

The Teck Rose & Crescent is lovely. I wonder if the centre rose is removable? If so it would look stunning with Diana's sapphire......

Old 02-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by justine@Feb 18th, 2004 - 6:24 am
Well I don't think that the Queen has showered any of her daughters in law with tons of jewels (compared to the jewels she has to offer), so I can't see her bestowing a lot onto her granddaughter-in-law.
But I think if QEII is passing out the tiara's then it might be something smaller, older, and more 'immediate family' like the Strathmore Rose or Diamond Scroll.

Who knows what will happen if it's King Charles passing out the baubles tho.
But I have a feeling that the Lover's Knot tiara will not be used (or gifted) for a while...at least by the Queen or Prince Charles.
I think it is more likely that by the time William gets married, his father will be King and as has already been said, maybe he will be a different kind of lender or gift-giver than his mother was (I hope a better one.) If Charles ever remarries, I don't see them being so insensitive as to let Camilla wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot. Also I would be a little bored w/seeing the same things , I would like to see more of what it is in their fabulous collection.

For William's wife, there will be plenty of family items to choose from, including from the collection of tiaras the Queen wears currently. Also what about items like the Queen Mother's modern style diamond tiara she had made up in the 1950's (geometric pattern - in her 80th birthday portrait I think), Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara or her gorgeous turquoise tiara, and who knows what other goodies are in the vaults, not recently seen??

William's wife will be representing the British Crown, not the Spencer family, so I don't think we will be seeing their jewels on her.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Courtier

No one knows what happened to Princess Maragret's tiaras. It's entirely possible that her children still own them, in which case Willam's wife won't be wearing them.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Nobility

I know Princess Margaret's children might own the tiaras, it is also very unlikely they will ever make use of them. Lending them makes sense to me.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness

It is possible that the Queen purchased these from Viscount Linley. Although he will succeed his father as Earl of Snowdon so his wife may have need of a tiara. I would think they would keep the Poltimore as it was a wedding gift to Pncss Margaret and she wore it at her wedding.

I don't know if the Linley's were given the Fan tiara that Lady Linley wore on her wedding day. It belonged to the Queen Mother but hadn't been worn much since Pncss Margaret was young. If the Queen now has this piece it would be young and pretty for Williams wife.

http://royal-jewels1.tripod.com/et/papyrus.html
Old 02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

How many tiaras does the Spencer family possess? At the Diana exhibit I viewed some time back there was one tiara on display that was beautiful but surprisingly and unfortunately, had scratches on it. I am not sure if I recognize the tiara I saw as something Diana wore often while married to Charles. Would she have forsaken her own family's tiara for those owned by the Windsors instead?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Feb 18th, 2004 - 9:55 pm
Would she have forsaken her own family's tiara for those owned by the Windsors instead?
As Princess of Wales she WAS a Windsor. In wearing the Spencer Tiara on her wedding day and afterwards she payed tribute to her own family much as Queen Mary did with the Cambridge Emeralds but with the vast array of Windsor jewels and the wedding presents she recieved there was so much to choose from. The Queen Mother also had a family tiara, the Strathmore Rose, which was a wedding gift from her father. She wore it quite a lot as a young woman but it was loaned to Princess Margaret who wore it regularly in her youth.

If the Spencer Tiara was to have been Diana's permanently and she had a daughter then, once she became Queen, we would probably have seen it "handed on".
Old 02-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Gentry

doesn't the weight of the 2 tiara's play into this also? Obviously there are the sentimental and familial ties, but I think I have read more than once that the Lover's Knot weighs alot and the Spencer is much lighter and easier to wear.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Mary's jewels actually skipped a generation. It was always her intention to leave them to the present queen, her granddaughter. Even if she had died before her son, George VI, the jewels would have still gone to Elizabeth.

From what I remember the Queen Mother inherited very little personal jewellery from her mother-in-law. She had the Crown Jewelery which Queen Mary handed over when the Duke of Windsor abdicated.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jean@Feb 18th, 2004 - 9:28 am
Also what about items like the Queen Mother's modern style diamond tiara she had made up in the 1950's (geometric pattern - in her 80th birthday portrait I think
Perhaps the QM's geometric tiara will go to Camilla if she and Charles marry? As an older lady she would carry this off well. Also Camilla has a lot of jewels that she inherited from her great grandmother Alice Keppell. There may be a tiara amongst those.

Can any of you clever people manipulate an image of this tiara onto Camilla?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Considering how much jewellery Queen Mary and the present Queen received as wedding presents from the senior royals, Diana received surprisingly little (just the lover's knot tiara and the choker from the Cambridge emerald parure). You'd think the Princess of Wales would have had more than one tiara from the royal collection.

I sort of doubt that the Delhi Durbar tiara would go to William's wife before he became king; that was made for Queen Mary as a sort of substitute crown to wear at the Durbar, so it's got a significance that many of the other tiaras haven't got.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspeth@Mar 30th, 2004 - 12:41 am
I sort of doubt that the Delhi Durbar tiara would go to William's wife before he became king; that was made for Queen Mary as a sort of substitute crown to wear at the Durbar, so it's got a significance that many of the other tiaras haven't got.
Perhaps if they marry it will go to Camilla as items she can wear are going to be limited due to them either being currently worn by other ladies in the family or Diana having worn them (remember she did wear some items on loan from the Queen). I think that this tiara and the Queen Mum's Cartier Tiara would be more suited to a more mature lady like Camilla.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I don't see the Delhi Durbar tiara being used by anybody who isn't queen; even if Prince William's wife spends time as Princess of Wales first, I really doubt that tiara would be used until she became queen. It's more like a crown than a tiara and it was made for a coronation.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:04 AM
Serene Highness

It could be scaled down?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I was wondering about that. There do seem to be a number of jewels from Queen Mary's time that are too ostentatious and elaborate for present-day uses.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

Whatever happened to the Moon and Star Tiara that belonged to Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck??
Old 06-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Royal Highness

William's future wife should get the Lover's Knot Tiara that his Mum got. I hope however, she has use of more than one tiara--not everything goes with pearls!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by wymanda@Feb 18th, 2004 - 6:36 pm
It is possible that the Queen purchased these from Viscount Linley. Although he will succeed his father as Earl of Snowdon so his wife may have need of a tiara. I would think they would keep the Poltimore as it was a wedding gift to Pncss Margaret and she wore it at her wedding.

According to what I have read, Princess Margaret purchased the Poltimore Tiara at an estate sale before her marriage for 5000 British Pounds??
Old 06-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

I thought it was a wedding gift from the Queen Mother. Can't remember where I read that, though.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Courtier

It wasn't "returned" to Earl Spencer, he always had possession of it. She would borrow it and return it to him after each use.

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry