The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
I'm very partial to the sapphire bandeau and hope to see it again. Though I think that Harry's wife will receive a "white" tiara as her first tiara. Maybe the sapphire bandeau can be her second tiara, after several years of marriage?
__________________

__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Now that Catherine has worn the Lotus Tiara, maybe Harry's future wife will wear that tiara as well. I doubt it but it would be great if she wore it as a wedding tiara.
Given the fact that Serena Linley wore it as her wedding tiara prior to the death of Princess Margaret when the piece was returned to the vaults I cannot see it being used as a wedding tiara again for some years.
__________________

__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Personally I can't see Harry's wife getting married in a tiara which was previously worn by her sister-in-law Catherrine. To me that seems a bigger obstacle than Serena Linlay's wearing it, as I believe that it is considered as Catherine's second tiara now.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,495
I have a real feeling that, in the next reign, we will see the british family form a foundation like the Dutch & Swedish families. In fact it may already being collated with the return of jewels from Princess Margaret being the catalyst. It will probably be an expansion on the items Queen Victoria designated "for all future Queens'".
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 01-04-2015, 01:18 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Now that Catherine has worn the Lotus Tiara, maybe Harry's future wife will wear that tiara as well. I doubt it but it would be great if she wore it as a wedding tiara.
I believe that Catherine wore this tiara because the Halo Scroll, her wedding tiara for which matching earrings made at a wedding gift, was unavailable as it was on loan to Cartier as part of the Cartier: Style and History exhibit at the Grand Palais.

I think that also accounts for the lack of further photos wearing the Lotus Tiara. But also means it's available for others to use.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I have a real feeling that, in the next reign, we will see the british family form a foundation like the Dutch & Swedish families. In fact it may already being collated with the return of jewels from Princess Margaret being the catalyst. It will probably be an expansion on the items Queen Victoria designated "for all future Queens'".

There isn't a need for a foundation. The sovereign to sovereign transfer is tax free so the tiaras and jewelry just goes to the next monarch and it can be loaned out when needed. The collection has been maintain thru several monarchs this way and new stuff got added thru the years.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 01-04-2015, 04:10 AM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
What if Harry doesn't marry until he is in his 50s?
George will be needing a tiara of two for his wife.
And Cambridge baby 2 will need a tiara for herself or his spouse.

Harry's wife, if she receives one at all, will probably receive only one simple tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
I think Harry's wife will receive a new tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There isn't a need for a foundation. The sovereign to sovereign transfer is tax free so the tiaras and jewelry just goes to the next monarch and it can be loaned out when needed. The collection has been maintain thru several monarchs this way and new stuff got added thru the years.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
You are forgetting that a large portion of what HM has now was left directly to her by her Grandmother, Queen Mary. These are the items now at risk.
Also, Queen Mary decimated the historical collection with the items that she gave to her daughters in law. Lost to the main line were important items like the Sapphire Circlet, the Cambridge Sapphires & the (now) Gloucester Turquoise parure. Thankfully it appears that much of what Princess Margaret was given has been returned to the vaults. This has been confirmed to some degree by Catherine wearing the Lotus Flower tiara & the Cartier Scroll tiaral The only piece not confirmed safe is the Turquoise Flames of Love set.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 01-04-2015, 04:31 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
You are forgetting that a large portion of what HM has now was left directly to her by her Grandmother, Queen Mary. These are the items now at risk.
The items are "at risk" only insofar as the Queen decides to distribute them widely. She appears to have demonstrated no such signs so far, so it is hardly, IMO, a real risk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Also, Queen Mary decimated the historical collection with the items that she gave to her daughters in law. Lost to the main line were important items like the Sapphire Circlet, the Cambridge Sapphires & the (now) Gloucester Turquoise parure. Thankfully it appears that much of what Princess Margaret was given has been returned to the vaults. This has been confirmed to some degree by Catherine wearing the Lotus Flower tiara & the Cartier Scroll tiaral The only piece not confirmed safe is the Turquoise Flames of Love set.
Most of what Queen Mary "decimated" had been purchased by her in her lifetime. Surely she was entitled to dispose off it as she deemed appropriate?
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 01-04-2015, 08:01 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Most of what Queen Mary "decimated" had been purchased by her in her lifetime. Surely she was entitled to dispose off it as she deemed appropriate?
and, with hindsight, we can look back and mourn the loss of these items. The problem arose because a lady of Queen Mary's rank and generation would not have seen a time when her descendants would not need major jewels & tiaras on a regular basis. She herself dressed for dinner each night complete with Jewels & tiara. When you look to her great grandchildren only the children of the Queen & Prince Phillip (or their wives) have regular use for major jewels. The others will probably sell off what they inherit from their parents to pay Death Duties.
Even the items held by the Princess Royal may well be sold by Peter & Zara at some time in the future unless there is an agreement that they will be returned to the vaults upon the death of HRH.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
What if Harry doesn't marry until he is in his 50s?
George will be needing a tiara of two for his wife.
And Cambridge baby 2 will need a tiara for herself or his spouse.

Harry's wife, if she receives one at all, will probably receive only one simple tiara.
By the time George marries Catherine will most likely be Princess of Wales and the current Queens tiaras will have been re-distributed to Camilla and Catherine, leaving the smaller halo tiara and lotus tiaras available for the younger set. There are so many tiaras in the BRF, that there can hardly occur a shortage of tiaras, imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
You are forgetting that a large portion of what HM has now was left directly to her by her Grandmother, Queen Mary. These are the items now at risk.
Also, Queen Mary decimated the historical collection with the items that she gave to her daughters in law. Lost to the main line were important items like the Sapphire Circlet, the Cambridge Sapphires & the (now) Gloucester Turquoise parure. Thankfully it appears that much of what Princess Margaret was given has been returned to the vaults. This has been confirmed to some degree by Catherine wearing the Lotus Flower tiara & the Cartier Scroll tiaral The only piece not confirmed safe is the Turquoise Flames of Love set.
Maybe we have to accept that the RF cannot accumulate tiaras for ever and ever. It has long been common practice that old pieces of jewellery are distributed between the children or even re-set to make new pieces. In the same time it was an accepted idea that the ladies would get new and modern jewels as well, so that they were up the the current fashion. All in all this made the jewel collection of the RF rather grow than deminish. And last not least I would say that the idea of the historic value of heirloom pieces is fairly new, so we can't mearsure Queen Mary's distribution completely by modern standards.

The Queen Victorias sapphire tiara and the Cambridge sapphires are certainly a loss from modern perspective. But they were given away in a time when every lady of the upper class would need a sufficiant casket of jewels. There was no way to see that the descencents would one day no longer have tiara occasions to attend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The items are "at risk" only insofar as the Queen decides to distribute them widely. She appears to have demonstrated no such signs so far, so it is hardly, IMO, a real risk.




Most of what Queen Mary "decimated" had been purchased by her in her lifetime. Surely she was entitled to dispose off it as she deemed appropriate?
Imo the Queen has adopted the more modern perception that heirloom jewels should be kept to the main line of the family. Also she is the first Queen to know that some of her grandchildren and most of hre great-grandchildren will no other tiara occasions than their own weddings. It seems that she stopped giving away tiaras as presents. From all we know, Catherine was loaned her two tiaras, there is no sign that she's owning them. Therefore it is likely that future brides and Princesses will be loaned tiaras as well. Therefore I don't see much of a danger for the collection.

Imo, the last tiaras that were really given as a present were the pine cone aquamarine tiara and the greek key tiara of Princess Anne. And the pine cone tiara was only one of the more insignificant tiaras of the Queen Mum, while the greek key tiara has never been worn by any Queen at all. (Which is a pity, of course.)
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Imo, the last tiaras that were really given as a present were the pine cone aquamarine tiara and the greek key tiara of Princess Anne. And the pine cone tiara was only one of the more insignificant tiaras of the Queen Mum, while the greek key tiara has never been worn by any Queen at all. (Which is a pity, of course.)
It is hoped that the Meander tiara comes back to the vaults at some time. It would provide a tangible link to Prince Philips family for future generations.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
It is hoped that the Meander tiara comes back to the vaults at some time. It would provide a tangible link to Prince Philips family for future generations.
That would of course be a great solution, since it is a lovely tiara too. As a matter of fact we really don't know under which conditions the tiaras have been given to Princess Anne. The only thing we safely know is that she owns the festoon tiara. As it was a gift from a shipping company and has no other royal connection it wouldn't be a loss to the royal vault.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,332
The Meander Tiara was given to the Queen by Princess Alice for a wedding present. She never wore it but Anne does. We don't know if she actually gave it to Anne or its on permanent loan. Zara and Autumn and the grandkids have no tiara needs other than a wedding day. So if tiara is still owned by the Queen, it will pass to Charles as monarch and return to vaults when Anne doesn't need it anymore.

If the Queen felt the need to save some of Queen Mary's tiaras that her cousins sold off. She could have bought them back before they were auctioned.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,430
Many of the tiara's the senior royal brides wear on their wedding day are theirs as a lifetime loan, I think. I believe that Scroll Tiara is on loan to Catherine whenever she have to wear it.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 01-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,332
Has Sophie worn a tiara from the Queen's vault or just the wedding tiara? She is the closest scenario to Harry's wife. Married to the son of the monarch, sister in law to monarch not in the direct line. Kate as a future PoW and Queen will have more tiaras options and not stay with the wedding tiara of the Halo which is sort of starter tiara. The Halo will probably go back in to the vault to return when George marries.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Has Sophie worn a tiara from the Queen's vault or just the wedding tiara? She is the closest scenario to Harry's wife. Married to the son of the monarch, sister in law to monarch not in the direct line. Kate as a future PoW and Queen will have more tiaras options and not stay with the wedding tiara of the Halo which is sort of starter tiara. The Halo will probably go back in to the vault to return when George marries.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes the aquamarine flower tiara she worn at the Weddings in Luxemburg and Sweden is onme tiara the Queen has also worn in the 60's.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Since 2012 the Countess of Wessex has worn the five aquamarine tiara at least four times. This tiara was seen on the Queen only once, at the 1970 Canadian tour. For a long time it was thought that this tiara had been dismantled to use the stones for the Queens other aquamarine tiara. But then Sophie suddenly wore it at the pre-wedding in Luxembourg and we know it's still intact.


Yet we don't know if it is a loan or a gift. So imo it doesn't tell us much about Princess Harry's wedding tiara.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 01-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,332
Well it hard to guess a tiara for a person that doesn't exist yet. But it shows that future Harry wife will probably have access to another tiara in addition to a wedding one. Charles could be super generous in his reign and loan out several different tiaras to his future daughter in law.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Harry's Charities and Patronages Warren Prince Harry and Prince William 331 11-11-2016 04:09 PM
Prince Ali bin Nayef, Princess Wejdan (ex-wife), Princess Reema (2nd wife) & Family Reina Royal House of Jordan 92 04-01-2016 01:34 PM
Convertible Tiaras/Necklaces and Versatile Tiaras Josefine Royal Jewels General Discussion 51 03-28-2016 01:59 PM
Prince William and Prince Harry: Charity Motorbike Trek in Africa - October 2008 Incas Prince Harry and Prince William 189 11-17-2008 08:49 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit september brunei royal family catherine middleton style christening of prince oscar coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary and womens rights princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania style royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises