Tiaras and Jewels for the Next Generation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RoyalKnottie said:
Does anyone know if the late Diana, Princess of Wales' tiara (the Spencer Tiara) went back to her brother or did it stay with her children? I think it would be a nice wedding tiara for the future Princess William of Wales.

I was soundly pilloried for making that suggestion, as a sentimental acknowledgment of Diana's importance in William's life!

But it was her family's tiara, not a royal tiara, and it went back to her family. (What a shame it won't be worn often, but then again, if you're not royal, your tiara-wearing opportunities are rare!)

Shadiyah2086 said:
Heres a necklace that probably converted into a tiara
http://www.sjphillips.com/antique_jewels/necklaces_diamond/main_diamond_ne
cklaces.html

Princess Maria-Luisa of Belgium
Princess Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway
Princess Catharia-Amaila the Netherlands
Princess Aiko of Japan

I took the liberty of flipping the photo around. You are right. It would indeed be an ideal first tiara for one of the young princesses (or me:flowers: )

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h191/kimebear_2006/youngtiara.jpg
image courtesy of SJ Phillips website

I'm curious what Princess Beatrice's first tiara will be! Surely "Grannie" has some stashed away that have never been used (like the one she gave to Sophie for her wedding).

Shadiyah, that is a beautiful tiara! Anyone would look great in that. Beautiful!:flowers:

Shadiyah2086 said:

This tiara was posted in the member's corner somewhere. It was up for sale at Sotheby's, and was posted with the info on it. I saved the info on my computer, here it is:

Description from sothebys.com:
Of foliate scroll design, the seven fleurets set throughout with circular-cut diamonds and cultured pearls to a line of similarly cut diamonds. The principal fleuret set with a circular-cut diamond weighing 1.54 carats and supporting a bouton-shaped natural pearl measuring approximately 14.5 by 12.8 mm, accompanied by a Report from the Netherlands Gemmological Laboratory no. P4548, stating the bouton-shaped pearl to be of natural origin, a detachable two row of cultured pearls and diamond extension to be worn as a necklace (4)

It is indeed a very beautiful tiara, which would look good on many of those girls you said

RubyPrincess168 said:
I'm curious what Princess Beatrice's first tiara will be! Surely "Grannie" has some stashed away that have never been used (like the one she gave to Sophie for her wedding).

I think that Beatrice will get her mothers' tiara. Sarah never wears it now and it is very pretty. If the Queen gives her one I think it will be the Strathmore Rose Tiara which is pictured at the top of this thread.

wymanda said:
I think that Beatrice will get her mothers' tiara. Sarah never wears it now and it is very pretty. If the Queen gives her one I think it will be the Strathmore Rose Tiara which is pictured at the top of this thread.

Why would Beatrice need a tiara? Zara has never worn one to my knowledge. The younger generation doesn't seem to be that into jewelry.

qui mal y pense said:
Why would Beatrice need a tiara? Zara has never worn one to my knowledge. The younger generation doesn't seem to be that into jewelry.

Zara is not HRH. Beatrice & Eugenie will have need of tiaras when attending state banquets etc. Given the fact that her father is not married at present it has been suggested that Beatrice will become her father's partner @ such functions now that she is 18. Once she finishes school she will be taking up duties. There is going to be some shortage of royals to cover duties in the next few years. The Duchess of Kent has retired, Princess Alexandra turns 70 at Christmas. With the deaths of Pncss Margaret & the Queen Mum and Andrew's lack of a wife there is a dearth of royal ladies to perform the expected duties. At present there is only Camilla, Sophie, Anne, the Duchess of Gloucester & Princess Michael. In that group Camilla turns 60 next year, the DoGlstr is nearly 61, Anne is 56 and, I think, Princess Michael is a similar age. That only leaves Sophie in the under 45 bracket & it is not inconceivable that she may have another child. Beatrice & Eugenie are going to have to take up some of the slack at least until William & Harry acquire wives. :flowers:

Does one need the HRH to wear a tiara? Zara is still the granddaughter of the Queen. You make a good point about the lack of Royal ladies available to fill royal roles. It seems that since the Civil List was discontinued, less royals are interested in filling the role. Lady Sara and Lady Helen used to do occasional appearances. What about the Linleys and the younger gloucesters. I haven't heard about Princess Anne in a while, she seems to be keeping a low pofile.

Of course one does not need to be an HRH to wear a tiara, but in Zara's case, her parents specifically denied a title for her (althought QEII offered one) so she could have a "normal" life. I don't think that life includes official royal functions. With Bea and Eugenie, their father has fought notoriously hard to allow them to keep their HRHs. I would not be surprised if they were not pressed into service to earn their "royal keep", so to speak.

qui mal y pense said:
Does one need the HRH to wear a tiara? Zara is still the granddaughter of the Queen. You make a good point about the lack of Royal ladies available to fill royal roles. It seems that since the Civil List was discontinued, less royals are interested in filling the role. Lady Sara and Lady Helen used to do occasional appearances. What about the Linleys and the younger gloucesters. I haven't heard about Princess Anne in a while, she seems to be keeping a low pofile.

We would expect TRH Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie to be approriately attired when performing their roles as members of the Royal Family. Therefore they are more likely to be wearing tiaras than their cousin, Zara (who could very well be wearing a tiara on her wedding day - if she wants, as her grandmother has heaps and her mother owns a couple herself).

wymanda said:
Zara is not HRH. Beatrice & Eugenie will have need of tiaras when attending state banquets etc. Given the fact that her father is not married at present it has been suggested that Beatrice will become her father's partner @ such functions now that she is 18. Once she finishes school she will be taking up duties. There is going to be some shortage of royals to cover duties in the next few years. The Duchess of Kent has retired, Princess Alexandra turns 70 at Christmas. With the deaths of Pncss Margaret & the Queen Mum and Andrew's lack of a wife there is a dearth of royal ladies to perform the expected duties. At present there is only Camilla, Sophie, Anne, the Duchess of Gloucester & Princess Michael. In that group Camilla turns 60 next year, the DoGlstr is nearly 61, Anne is 56 and, I think, Princess Michael is a similar age. That only leaves Sophie in the under 45 bracket & it is not inconceivable that she may have another child. Beatrice & Eugenie are going to have to take up some of the slack at least until William & Harry acquire wives. :flowers:

I hadn't thought about the lack of royal ladies to handle official functions,or that Prince Andrew would/could use them as dates/hostesses. Beatrice & Eugenie are closer in the line of succesion than Zara, and while William and Harry are off serving in the military, B&E will probably the younger royal representatives of the family various engagments and tours.

Beatrice will not get the Strathmore Rose tiara, that tiara is promised to Harry's future wife. Am I not right on this guys?

ZandraRae said:
Beatrice will not get the Strathmore Rose tiara, that tiara is promised to Harry's future wife. Am I not right on this guys?

I don't think any of us know what is promised to whom!! :ermm:

There are so many tiara's in the family that who gets what is anyone's guess. However, I do think that pieces with historic royal provenance (like the Strathmore Rose) will go to Princess's of the Blood for their lifetime rather than to women who marry into the family.

IMO, the Queen Mum would come back and haunt whoever let Chelsy Davy wear that tiara!!

The Strathmore tiara is not what you would call a modern piece. Its value is more historical as the stones are not of a modern cut either. Even the Queen Mum never wore the tiara after she became queen (at least to my knowledge). I can't see any girl today wanting to wear that tiara unless they had a particular love of history of the Queen Mum. Chlesy Davy indeed! I imagine her in a crown of thorns!

qui mal y pense said:
Chlesy Davy indeed! I imagine her in a crown of thorns!
So I'm guessing that would be a no! :ROFLMAO:

iowabelle said:
I was soundly pilloried for making that suggestion, as a sentimental acknowledgment of Diana's importance in William's life!

But it was her family's tiara, not a royal tiara, and it went back to her family. (What a shame it won't be worn often, but then again, if you're not royal, your tiara-wearing opportunities are rare!)

Apparently her brother asked for it back immediately after the divorce was final, which offended the princess. But the Spencers are such a...close family, anyhow.

It's a bit unorthodox, but I personally would like to see Catharina-Amalia wear the "heirloom diamond tiara" (I believe that is its name--the single row of MASSIVE collet diamonds worn on several occasions by her mother). This would look stunning securing a veil at her wedding.

Prince of Chota said:
It's a bit unorthodox, but I personally would like to see Catharina-Amalia wear the "heirloom diamond tiara" (I believe that is its name--the single row of MASSIVE collet diamonds worn on several occasions by her mother). This would look stunning securing a veil at her wedding.

Is that the one they call the "Bandeau" tiara? I heard Q.Beatrix allowed her daughters in law to choose their tiara for their weddings. I would have definitely picked that one! :ROFLMAO:

Prince of Chota said:
Apparently her brother asked for it back immediately after the divorce was final, which offended the princess. But the Spencers are such a...close family, anyhow.

Just to clarify my previous comment. I thought it would be a lovely way to acknowledge Princess Diana (and her family) if William's bride, or Harry's bride, wore the Spencer tiara. I doubt that Earl Spencer would refuse to loan the tiara to a royal bride if he were asked by a royal nephew.

But everyone disagreed with me since the Windsors have their own more important tiaras (and maybe the boys will have the wisdom to marry aristocratic girls with their own tiaras :flowers: ).

Well, there have been rumours circling for years that no royal prince will marry another "Princess Diana" (i.e. a girl without a past), so we might not see the same kind of aristocrats marrying this generation. i, for one, hope for more of the "Princess Mary" kind of girls for William and Henry.

Although I do agree, belle, that the Earl wouldn't refuse such a request, the tiara worn by a royal bride in the United Kingdom usually becomes her tiara for a while (until gifted another by HM or not). So I think it's more likely that we'd see a tiara from the royal collection given to a royal bride, which she would then continue to wear thereafter. This is, of course, unless said bride already has a family heirloom, as you pointed out.

I think the next one to wear a tiara for the first time of the younger royals is Princess Alexandra of Luxumbourg.

Do you think Princess Astrids of Belgium girls will wear a tiara, i think maybe for their wedding..

Perhaps for their wedding they might be, but other then that I don't think they will, unless they marry into a family that has many of them...:)

I have a question, although Peter Phillips doesn't poses any royal title will his fiance Autum Kelly wear a tiara at their wedding?

I doubt there would be any difficulty in borrowing a tiara from Princess Anne, but we'll just have to wait and and see if she chooses to wear one.

Back
Top Bottom