The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

QEII cannot do anything with the "state jewellery". That which belongs to The Crown or the State is not hers to dispose of. She can do what she wants with her personal collections but anything she leaves to anyone except Charles will be subject to inheritance taxes. Anything she gives away now could be subject to gift taxes, and possibly inheritance tax should she die in less than 9 yrs if the gift was viewed as hoping to avoid such taxation. Exceptions could be made for birthday, wedding, Christmas gifts but distrubuting the entire collection might be looked at as an attempt to avoid tax.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Doesn't The Queen say who attends State Dinners and events?
I would think that she is aided by the Royal Household and the Government, and perhaps Prince Charles has a say in it all too; but The Queen is the paramount authority on who attends and where they sit also.

Have you seen the videos of her inspecting the banquet tables just before each happening?

The Duke of York attends some of these and so do Anne and Edward & Sophie; and I can see a feud coming if Charles starts banning the York girls in the future.

Actually, The Queen seems to rather enjoy her York granddaughters, so we may see them at a banquet in tiaras and gowns!!

Larry

Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
Sorry, I worded that wrong! I meant that Claire's family could buy her a tiara, being that they are very wealthy.
I guess that I did not read carefully enought, but we both came to the same conclusion. Let's hope that the Lademachers think the same way as we do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I wonder if the future daughter in law of King Fouad II of Egypt who is herself a Princess of Afghanistan will wear a tiara on her wedding day ?
I have never heard that any of their families has any tiaras left. Didn't all the Egyptian jewellery go to a museum after the fall of the monarchy?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

Doesn't The Queen say who attends State Dinners and events?
I would think that she is aided by the Royal Household and the Government, and perhaps Prince Charles has a say in it all too; but The Queen is the paramount authority on who attends and where they sit also.

Have you seen the videos of her inspecting the banquet tables just before each happening?

The Duke of York attends some of these and so do Anne and Edward & Sophie; and I can see a feud coming if Charles starts banning the York girls in the future.

Actually, The Queen seems to rather enjoy her York granddaughters, so we may see them at a banquet in tiaras and gowns!!

Larry
From what I heard, Charles plans to slim down the royal Family and wants fewer full time royals in the future. I guess that the Queen certainly could overrule him if she wanted to. That she doesn't (we know that Beatrice and Eugenie are no full time royals so far) shows that she is fine with Charles' plans, imho.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Commoner

I believe most jewels should stay in main line so that it does not get diluted out. Can be loaned to "lesser" royals as required.
Eventually the "lesser" royals don't want it and auction off. Thinking of Princess Margeret's Poltimore Tiara. It should have stayed in main line...
All will be lost in few generations.
Even the tiara's given to Princess Benedikte, they will be diluted out....
JMHO
Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericat View Post
I believe most jewels should stay in main line so that it does not get diluted out. Can be loaned to "lesser" royals as required.
Eventually the "lesser" royals don't want it and auction off. Thinking of Princess Margeret's Poltimore Tiara. It should have stayed in main line...
JMHO
In general I agree with your opinion. But in the case of Ps. Margaret's Poltimore tiara there was no "staying in the main line" because it never had belonged to the main line. It was purchased for Margaret's wedding.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Tilla , Did you notice that for Queen Mathilde, Queen Fabiola was her model for the official picture. She wore the Nine Province tiara in its small form as Queen Paola never did.
I suppose Queen Fabiola's huge brooch is now a present.

Princess Astrid owns no personal jewels , she wears a loan from her still living mother in law Archduchess Robert of Habsburg Este who has 4 Children. But later ??
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Tilla , Did you notice that for Queen Mathilde, Queen Fabiola was her model for the official picture. She wore the Nine Province tiara in its small form as Queen Paola never did.
I suppose Queen Fabiola's huge brooch is now a present.

Princess Astrid owns no personal jewels , she wears a loan from her still living mother in law Archduchess Robert of Habsburg Este who has 4 Children. But later ??
http://s13.postimg.org/9rk9bkgdz/Fabiola_bandeau.jpg
Did you mean this Portrait of Queen Fabiola? I'm very glad that Mathilde tried the small version of Queen Astrid's tiara. I hope it means that the new Queen will have a more inventive way of using her tiaras than Queen Paola had.

As for Princess Astrid, I believe that the Archduchess will leave the Aosta Tiara and the beautiful emerald necklace to Astrid and Laurenz, who is her eldest son after all. I really can't imagine that AD Margherita will deprive her highest ranking daughter-in-law of the jewels she has worn all throughout her marriage. Thus I think that the tiara will also be used in the weddings of Astrid and Laurenz' children. (And I can't wait for that )
Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Astrid wore flowers on her hair on her wedding day no diamonds ; I think her daughters will do the same.
As for AD Magherita 's children did you remember the HUGE tiara her eldest daughter wore in Luwembourg ?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericat View Post
JMHO
I really hate to think of royals being considered less than others in their family... Do you say this because they are not as important as the others?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes Tilla , it is this small version of Queen Astrid's tiara.
Princess Lilian who could not wear the Queen's tiara wore it also as bandeau and put their huge diamonds as necklace...
Queen Paola's hairdresser said that is was so difficult to put the Nine Province tiara in her fine short hairs .
Queen Paola keeps her deco-tiara and her two small onces.
Until now Queen Mathilde has only 2 tiaras at her disposal.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Majesty

what i understand belgium will start up with new state visit but will there be with full gala
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes Josephine , Glitter again and a wonderful young and first belgian Queen !
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
QEII cannot do anything with the "state jewellery". That which belongs to The Crown or the State is not hers to dispose of. She can do what she wants with her personal collections but anything she leaves to anyone except Charles will be subject to inheritance taxes. Anything she gives away now could be subject to gift taxes, and possibly inheritance tax should she die in less than 9 yrs if the gift was viewed as hoping to avoid such taxation. Exceptions could be made for birthday, wedding, Christmas gifts but distrubuting the entire collection might be looked at as an attempt to avoid tax.
But she could leave all her private Jewels to Charles and give Instructiions as to give certain samller necklaces/brooshes etc. as gifts to her other children/grandchildren as it is likely there will be more then 9 years before his death.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Princess Astrid wore flowers on her hair on her wedding day no diamonds ; I think her daughters will do the same.
As for AD Magherita 's children did you remember the HUGE tiara her eldest daughter wore in Luwembourg ?
I hope that you are wrong about the flowers for Astrid's daughters ! When Princess Astrid got married in the 1980’s, bridal tiaras were not that fashionable. Maybe that is why she decided to wear flowers. It shouldn’t automatically mean that Princess Astrid’s daughters and daughters-in-law have to follow her suite. Not when both grandmothers have tiaras to loan and bridal tiaras are so popular now.

Oh yes, that gigantic ruby (?) tiara of the Countess of Arco-Zinnenberg! What an amazing piece! Unfortunately there were no HG pictures of her. But I read that the tiara belonged to her husband’s family, which is quite well off. Wouldn’t it be wonderful, it Felix and Claire’s wedding had a white tie and tiara gala as well? I know, it is not likely, but one can dream. I’d love to see more pictures of the Countess of Arco-Zinneberg with that whopper tiara.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope also we will see that whopper tiara again.
The Countess of Arco -Z. wore the small Aosta tiara for her wedding.
Tilla C.perhaps for Princess Astrid's daughters ??
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The Crown/State Jewels for use by the daughters-in-law & granddaughters-in-laws and her private jewels given to her blood female relatives.

Beatrice turned 25 earlier this month, how about one or two of the Queen's personal tiaras & some pearls and brooches as birthday gifts. A few more when she gets married.

Eugenie same when she turns 25.

Louise some brooches now, pearls & tiaras to be given to her mother to be presented to Louise when she turns 25.

Savannah & Isla same as Louise.

Zara to receive hers now if she hasn't already. If Zara has a girl, then a few jewels given to the baby at birth then the same as Louise.

I wasn't thinking of distributing all at once. Start giving them away for Birthdays, Christmas, Easter, weddings, babies, even New Years.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Majesty

do you think the york princesses will take part in state functions? like state visits?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Nobility

No, but they can still get the tiaras to wear for their weddings & to pass on to their children.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Aristocracy

Personally i a am absoutely against the disbursement of the Queen's Personal jewellry {other than personal bequests} to granddaughters and great-grandaughters. Inevitably these works of art will end up leaving the family, at auction [since the recipients will be subject to inheritance taxes.]

Much better to set up a Trust, or Foundation, whereby Windsor women may borrow items [either temporarily or for life], after which these items then return to the main body of the collection for the use of future generations.

This collection is unmatched in the world {i believe}, and to see it broken up would be an irreparable loss. to this country and its reigning family.

Tags
jewellery, tiaras, young royals