Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it the one pictured on Princess Margaret at this link, Janet (scroll down)? There are pictures of Queen Mary wearing it also, but it has what looks to be some removable spike pieces. I quite like the bandeau style that Margaret's wearing. It would be good for a young royal bride -- like a "training tiara"! :lol:

That's it, Ella Kay! Great pic. I think it would be great for a young royal bride--and it has royal significance. I hope Bea or Eugenie don't end up with it--I hate to see Queen Mary's things leave the main branch and disappear like the pieces given to the Harewoods and the Kents.

Quite right, but I don't thaink that will happen. The Queen has been quite sensitive to this point in her giving her daughters in law jewellery. Diana and Camilla have received pieces major pieces with a lot of history attached, while Sarah and Sophie received either new pieces, or ones with relatively little historical significance.

The Queen is the first monarch after the death of Queen Mary, and to some extent, must have felt the impact of Queen Mary's fairly wide distribution of royal jewels to her children. Given the size of the royal jewellery collection under Queen Mary it is amazing that as the Queen, Elisabeth II did not have tiaras with rubies (noit counting the Oriental circlet, being used by the QM at the time) or sapphires till she ordered ones herself. Even now, I think the only tiara with emerals that the royal family has is the Vladimir, with the emerald drops

Last edited by a moderator:
So true; in fact, and I hate to even say this, but when you look it objectively, Sweden really has the most variety in their jewels that we've seen. Silvia wears rubies, sapphires, amethysts, diamonds, pink topazes, cut steel, etc... with regularity. Sometimes I feel like all I see on HM QEII are pearls and diamonds. Queen Mary really misjudged the future when she handed off the Cambridge sapphires and Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara and necklace. And the turquoises! Mary gave away the ones the Gloucester's own, but then the Queen Mum gave Margaret the Persian Flames tiara and who knows when we'll see it again? I must take a moment and applaud the Gloucester's, who have kept their pieces intact.
I have to say, I think Camilla has fared quite well so far--the Durbar, the honeycomb, diamond rivieres, emerald earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, brooches, the whole lot. Diana, had she liked brooches and not developed headaches when wearing tiaras, would likely have worn a great many pieces not seen in years as well.
As for Sophie and Sarah--well, Sarah certainly did not get anything of historic value, but Sophie's wedding tiara is composed of pieces of one of Queen Victoria's tiaras, so I would say that has some history attached. I'd like to see the Wessexes get some other pieces--he'll be the Duke of Edinburg, he already has a son to ensure the line of succession to the Dukedom--perhaps QEII will give her the rubies or something. I don't know, but I have a feeling Sophie will get a nice set of jewelry at some time.

Nut the Gloucesters had i more eaisier as there was only one surviving child. I wonder what will happen in the future with them as thei children will also have not much use for tiaras etc.
Not only the swedish also the dutch royakls have a lot of variety in their jewels the are only not worn regulary. The have parures of rubies, sapphires, aquamarines, emeralds.

Is that true, that Edward Wessex will become Edward Edinburgh? I would have guessed Harry would get that title on Phillip's death...interesting.

Oh, the Cambridge sapphires! I love them even more than the Cambridge emeralds, which I like quite a lot indeed...and that turquoise tiara I've seen Birgitte Gloucester in is simply gorgeous.

I don't think I know the Persian Flames tiara of Margaret's: I know the Poltimore was sold (to a wealthy Chinese lady, I believe), which I thought was one of the most beautiful of all royal tiaras anywhere, but maybe I've never seen this one?

I love all the Cambridge jewels, and for that reason I'm really hoping that either William or Harry is made Duke of Cambridge. The title would also have a symbolic, though not overt, link to Diana, through her use of the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara and some of the Cambridge emeralds.

I love all the Cambridge jewels, and for that reason I'm really hoping that either William or Harry is made Duke of Cambridge. The title would also have a symbolic, though not overt, link to Diana, through her use of the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara and some of the Cambridge emeralds.

Would William be made a duke at all? I guess so, if Charles is still Prince of Wales when Wills marries or turns 21 or whatever. Duke of Cambridge has such a nice sound to it...and I'm sure his wife would appreciate the Cambridge emeralds.

When Charles ascends William will automotically become HRH Prince William, the Duke of Cornwall, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to bestow another Dukedom on him. Perhaps Harry will end up as the next Duke of Cambridge; it is a title used by junior members of the BRF. I believe the last Duke of Cambridge was Queen Mary's uncle on her mother's side, Prince George.

Back to jewels--in discussing other Royal Families jewels, I completely forgot about the Dutch! Here is a piece which staggers my mind; http://www.royaldutchjewels.nl/new_page_2.htm when I see it on Maxima
I say the BRF break up a couple of those rivieres (they have countless ones) and make a bandeau tiara such as this.

Last edited:
Here's Margaret's Persian flames of love--the most beautiful turquoise piece of them all, in my own humble opinion:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183991&d=1124786689

After consulting Field again, the Gloucester parue was the original Teck parue, not this one. This parue, the Prussian Flames, was a wedding gift to QEQM when she married George, and then she passed it down to Margaret.
As an aside, while I loved Princess Margaret and her vivacity--I LAMENT the selling of those jewels and I LAMENT that we will never really see the Turquoise parue or the Papyrus tiara often again, now being in the possession of Linley. Those are such beautiful pieces!

I think he probably will be given a dukedom should he marry while Charles is still Prince of Wales, partly because it will give his wife a title other than "Princess William." Plus, any title given to William will likely one day be reabsorbed by the Crown, so they wouldn't be unnecessarily enlarging the royal family. Downsizing does seem to be the current trend.

I'd like to see the Wessexes get some other pieces--he'll be the Duke of Edinburg, he already has a son to ensure the line of succession to the Dukedom--perhaps QEII will give her the rubies or something. I don't know, but I have a feeling Sophie will get a nice set of jewelry at some time.

I thought Sophie had recently (just before the birth of her son) been seen in a ruby necklace not previously seen - this is probably a new piece of jewellery given to Sophie by the Queen. If this was a present from the Queen, I am sure the necklace came with earring to make it a complete set.

This again supports my point that whilst the Queen may be general with the Wessex's and perhaps, in time the York girls, and buy them new jewellery, they are unlikely to receive substantial historic pieces

Back to jewels--in discussing other Royal Families jewels, I completely forgot about the Dutch! Here is a piece which staggers my mind; Diamond Bandeau Tiara when I see it on Maxima
I say the BRF break up a couple of those rivieres (they have countless ones) and make a bandeau tiara such as this.

The bandeau tiara looks lovely, but I do think itis perhaps better suited to younger royals than older ones.

I have to agree that it will be sad that we will not get to see the Turquoise parue or the Papyrus tiara that are now with Linley. I guess my bigger concern is the sale of jewels like the Poltimore tiara and the collet necklace that belonged to Margaret. I really do think that in future, the royal family should be offered the first right of refusal on the sale of some of these items as members of the extended royal family sell off jewellery. That being said, it may be that they already operate on that basis and the Queen has declined to buy them as she has been reported to comment that they already have far too much jewellery. I would hope in future the monarch not pass up on opportunities to get back jewellery that used to be owned by the royals.

An idea could be that in future any jewellery given to the Wessex's, the Yorks and descendents of Anne be for their use only and not for them to sell. Similar amounts should be deposited into trust funds for the respective beneficiaries, so that they are not financially any worse off by not owning the jewels that the Queen has given them. Maybe a similar approach can be taken to any jewels the wife of Harry receives.

One would hope that as Queen/Consort, Camilla would add to the variety of jewellery that the royal family possesses. As has been previously said, it owuld be lovely to see her in rubies, turquoise, amethysts and other coloured stones as well.

Here's Margaret's Persian flames of love--the most beautiful turquoise piece of them all, in my own humble opinion:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183991&d=1124786689

I believe it was a gift to Queen Mary from her parents and then she gave it to QEQM when she married into the family. I think I may have read that in Field so please correct if I am wrong

Oh, thank you, jcb! That is absolutely gorgeous, and not dissimilar to the Duchess of Gloucester's turquoise tiara...

Oh, thank you, jcb! That is absolutely gorgeous, and not dissimilar to the Duchess of Gloucester's turquoise tiara...
You are very welcome! I think it is exquisite. Let's compare the two!

Flames of Love: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183991&d=1124786689

Gloucester Teck Parue: Tuerkis-Schmuck - Turqoise parure of the Duchess

Now, as for William and Harry's wives....there are several languishing in the vaults, but I think what we will probably see is William's wife receive an historic or at the very least, a family tiara whereas William's wife will receive a new tiara. I doubt that the Cambridge Lover's Knot will ever leave the Crown. There is a lovely lozenge tiara which Queen Mary wore as well as the Scroll tiara I mentioned some posts back; perhaps one of them will end up with Harry as the future Duke of Cambridge or whatever.

I have to agree that it will be sad that we will not get to see the Turquoise parue or the Papyrus tiara that are now with Linley. I guess my bigger concern is the sale of jewels like the Poltimore tiara and the collet necklace that belonged to Margaret. I really do think that in future, the royal family should be offered the first right of refusal on the sale of some of these items as members of the extended royal family sell off jewellery. That being said, it may be that they already operate on that basis and the Queen has declined to buy them as she has been reported to comment that they already have far too much jewellery. I would hope in future the monarch not pass up on opportunities to get back jewellery that used to be owned by the royals.

Perhaps it was offered to the Queen to buy this pieces back and she declinded the offer. We also haven't seen the persian turquiose parure since Margaret passed away and the teck circle necklace. Perhaps some of this pieces were given to her to use for lifetime and are already back in the royal Vaults ans waiting to beu worn again.
As much as i find it said that we will not see the Poltimore again i think it's better to sell a piece which has no royal history apart from Margaret as to sell such historic peaces like the cambride sapphires or if Linley would sell the teck circle necklace.

Last edited:
I share you opinion; it is better to sell the Poltimore than the other pieces because there is no royal history attached to it. It was purchased at an auction for 5,000 pounds. True, it is indelibly attached to Princess Margaret and she wore it with great style, but I admit I was happy to see the Poltimore on the auction block rather than Persian Turquoise,
The Papyrus: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183989&d=1124786689 or the Teck Circle Necklace, http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2703&d=1045429274 which is really a stunning piece.

I have also wondered if perhaps the parue and the circle necklace were just lifetime loans since we've not seen them yet, either. I do hope so, or else we'll see them sold one day down the road as well

Wasn't the Teck circle necklace put up for auction? Or is it still in the possession of Linley?

And do we know what happened to the papyrus tiara?

Wasn't the Teck circle necklace put up for auction? Or is it still in the possession of Linley?

And do we know what happened to the papyrus tiara?

Neither were in the Christie's auction; we're all hoping that the Teck Circle and the Turquoise parue were lifetime loans because of the history attached to both. I love the papyrus, but I'm ok with the Linley's keeping that one. Serena Linley wore it on her wedding day:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/david-viscount-linley-and-serena-stanhope-1993-a-759.html

and Margaret's daughter wore the Snowden Floral Tiara on her wedding day, which was a gift from Anthony to Margaret for the wedding
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rong-jones-and-daniel-chatto-1994-a-5354.html

So, even though they're not mine to give, I would think that having the Floral and the papyrus tiara, along with various other pieces of Margarets would be sufficient and the historic pieces would be returned to collection. I worry that Linley will just sell more stuff if he wants to--he actually sold family Christmas cards after his mother and grandmother passed away.

Thanks for the clarification. Thank goodness the Teck circle necklace wasn't sold...far too much historical weight to that piece.

I think it would be lovely if some of Queen Mary's old bandeau tiaras--or even some of Queen Alexandra's tiaras--would be brought out of storage for the younger generations. There are a number of simple, elegant tiaras in the vaults that we haven't seen in years.

I wonder if there isn't someone who keeps on eye on Christies and Sotheby's for smaller, tasteful tiaras which would be suitable for a princess-in-law (the future Princess Harry?) but not have great historical value to the RF or the monarchy. I've seen some really nice pieces there.

I think the BRF has few plans to purchase new tiaras. They don't really need to, firstly, and second it might appear to be a poor choice of expense given the large number of tiaras already owned by the sovereign. I think William and Harry's wives will be expected to revive older (probably smaller) pieces not seen since Queen Mary.

I think the BRF has few plans to purchase new tiaras. They don't really need to, firstly, and second it might appear to be a poor choice of expense given the large number of tiaras already owned by the sovereign. I think William and Harry's wives will be expected to revive older (probably smaller) pieces not seen since Queen Mary.

These women will be very lucky! I'm sure the pieces are fantastic. The BRF has (IMO) the best collection of jewels in the world. With all of those treasures to choose from, they don't need to purchase any new tiaras.

:previous: And why on earth would they bother to buy new ones? Modern tiara's are poor imitations of the "Real Deal" IMHO and to be avoided at all costs. :ermm:

They did for Sarah Ferguson, the wife of the second son, so they may well do the same for Harry's wife.
Then again, Sophie Wessex has been treated to some royal trinkets or cast-offs, so who knows?

Keep in mind that most of the tiaras in the Royal Collection are already being worn by The Queen. There may be some old pieces sitting in the vault (most likely from Queen Alexandra) but they may not be wearable or could have been dismantled. Queen Mary was well-known to take old pieces and have them redesigned into new ones.

The Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara is likely to reappear at some point with William's wife, although perhaps not right away. The royal jewels retained by Diana after the divorce were all returned to The Queen after her death, but originally were designated in her agreement for William's future wife.

The royal jewels retained by Diana after the divorce were all returned to The Queen after her death, but originally were designated in her agreement for William's future wife.
Could you elucidate? I thought that all "Family" pieces were a sort of "life loan" from the Queen, and returned to her on the death of the recipient. The only designated jewelry was that amassed during her marriage from sources other than the Crown, it more correctly, the Queen!

That is to say, Sarah and Sophie have tiara's with no royal provonence, and as such cause no problem with being inherited by their children. Princess Margaret's famed "Poltimore" was signature only to her, therefore it was left to her children to keep or dispose of. Regretably they decided to sell it but the "Royal Collection" remains untouched.

It's "parure", not "parue". I'm just sayin'.

I seem to recall reading that a full parure consists of a tiara, necklace, earrings, brooch(es), ring(s) and bracelet(s). While a demi-parure (half-parure) is just necklace and earrings and possibly a bracelet or brooch. But I don't know if such distinctions are observed today.

:previous: And why on earth would they bother to buy new ones? Modern tiara's are poor imitations of the "Real Deal" IMHO and to be avoided at all costs. :ermm:

I'm not saying that they should go to Cartier and buy a new piece, but that they should keep an eye out for attractive older pieces that might have some tie to relatives (perhaps some of the pieces that belonged to the previous Princess Royal, for example). That way the major pieces with history can remain in the main branch of the family, and you won't have a future Lord Linley auctioning off Granny's priceless bits and pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom