Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it come to QEII, I can only think of the Vladimir tiara, which can be worn with the original pearls or with the Cambridge emeralds. And I doubt that Harry's bride will get one of the Queen's personal favourites. Apart from that, the Gloucesters have a palmette tiara with interchangeble centre, but well, that's with the Gloucesters. Queen Mary one wore the sapphire bandeau with an emerald brooch in the centre, but I don't know about a diamond centre piece for that tiara.

No she's not going to get one of the Queen's big tiaras. Just pointing out they do at times wear colored stones in their tiaras.

LaRae

No she's not going to get one of the Queen's big tiaras. Just pointing out they do at times wear colored stones in their tiaras.

LaRae

They do, but not for weddings.

And, you're right about many people choosing a favorite gemstone for an engagement ring, regardless of value.
But I don't see the BRF going that way.

Yeah, not at weddings, that's what I thought. The Queen has several tiaras with coloured stones, Sophie has the two aquamarine tiaras. But no member of the RF has ever worn a wedding tiara with coloured stones.

Hmmm that's true about weddings, I hadn't thought about that with the tiaras, they wouldn't want to clash with the bridal party.

Harry and Meghan are doing their own thing to some degree. It wouldn't suprise me if they do something not quite traditional with the rings or even the wedding!

LaRae

I don't understand what value has to do with anything. IF Meghan loves Aquamarines (or whatever 'lesser' stone) and wants that as an engagement ring then why not?

LaRae

Value matters because we're talking about a royal doing the giving, not some random guy off the street. :lol: If Meghan loves aquamarines so much (and there's no reason to think she does) then perhaps she'll take to Diana's aquamarine ring and wear it on occasion. But I wouldn't expect her to be given one as an engagement ring.

Queen Mary's sapphire bandeau hasn't been seen since Princess Margaret wore it in young age. So it should be available as well. Only, I don't think the the BRF is fond of coloured stones in wedding tiaras. So i'd put my money on diamonds, with or without pearls.

The sapphire bandeau is one of my least favorite tiaras and I definitely don't see it as a wedding tiara. I suppose Meghan could make it work if she wore it to a state banquet, for example, but it really wouldn't be one of my choices for her.

Sadly, I believe that Harry's wife will receive a "new" tiara with no royal provenance just as Princess Margaret received the Poltimore, Sarah received (the most beautiful) mystery tiara, as did Sophie. There is speculation that Sophie's was created from was created from four detachable anthemions from Queen Victoria's regal circlet. However, that cannot be confirmed.

On the other hand, the senior line went royal with Diana receiving the Lovers Knot, Camilla receiving the Delhi Durbar and Catherine the Halo Scroll. All of these have significant historical value but Camilla and Catherine seem to have access to three apiece.

I am guessing it is all about keeping the historical pieces in the family as those of the Snowdon's, York's and Wessexes, when passed to their children are/will be lost to the family as the speed with which the Poltimore left the family attests.

So, either HM has something that can be created or, to my mind more likely, Prince Charles has purchased a tiara at auction. Since he has impeccable taste, here's hoping it is his choice.

I love Sarah's tiara too!

I am hoping hoping hoping Meghan gets to use a tiara with provenance. Open the vaults!!!

LaRae

Sadly, I believe that Harry's wife will receive a "new" tiara with no royal provenance just as Princess Margaret received the Poltimore, Sarah received (the most beautiful) mystery tiara, as did Sophie. There is speculation that Sophie's was created from was created from four detachable anthemions from Queen Victoria's regal circlet. However, that cannot be confirmed.

On the other hand, the senior line went royal with Diana receiving the Lovers Knot, Camilla receiving the Delhi Durbar and Catherine the Halo Scroll. All of these have significant historical value but Camilla and Catherine seem to have access to three apiece.

I am guessing it is all about keeping the historical pieces in the family as those of the Snowdon's, York's and Wessexes, when passed to their children are/will be lost to the family as the speed with which the Poltimore left the family attests.

So, either HM has something that can be created or, to my mind more likely, Prince Charles has purchased a tiara at auction. Since he has impeccable taste, here's hoping it is his choice.

Hmmmmm.......I admit to knowing next to nothing about jewels, so this has been fascinating. But I think I might like the idea of Meghan being given a new tiara? So it can be passed down, Meghan and Harry's family line. I'm torn because I get wanting her to get one with some history behind it.

When it come to QEII, I can only think of the Vladimir tiara, which can be worn with the original pearls or with the Cambridge emeralds. And I doubt that Harry's bride will get one of the Queen's personal favourites. Apart from that, the Gloucesters have a palmette tiara with interchangeble centre, but well, that's with the Gloucesters. Queen Mary one wore the sapphire bandeau with an emerald brooch in the centre, but I don't know about a diamond centre piece for that tiara.
They could make a new diamond central element which can be placed in the tiara insteed of the sapphire. This way the tiara would also become more versatil.

They could make a new diamond central element which can be placed in the tiara insteed of the sapphire. This way the tiara would also become more versatil.
I do hope they don't give Harry's wife the sapphire bandeau. It's a lovely tiara with quite a lot of provenance;, and I would hate to see it leave the main line.

I do hope they don't give Harry's wife the sapphire bandeau. It's a lovely tiara with quite a lot of provenance;, and I would hate to see it leave the main line.

I can't see that given to her. Loaned for the wedding or other royal engagements, yes.

LaRae

Whichever Tiara the lady gets, if it's an historic piece associated with the BRF it will be a lifetime loan...

Assuming there's no objection to sapphires that Sapphire Bandeau would be lovely on her.

LaRae

Hidden British Royal Tiaras | The Court Jeweller

Ok folks in the know...do we know anything about the following tiara (scroll down at the link)?

Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge Bandeau

Very art deco/modern looking.

LaRae

And just like that, I know which one I hope will come out of storage (please let it be in royal storage) as the next bridal tiara. Gosh, that's lovely...without being boring, which I usually find all-diamond ones to be.

Also is anything known about the Duchess of Teck Ears of Wheat Tiara? Is it still intact or do we know?

LaRae

Ok folks in the know...do we know anything about the following tiara (scroll down at the link)?

LaRae
Nothing known about it's current whereabouts, so it could be still sitting in the vaults. At least I hope so! :D It's about time that it comes out into daylight again, imo. ;)

Also is anything known about the Duchess of Teck Ears of Wheat Tiara? Is it still intact or do we know?

LaRae
Afaik, that tiara hasn't been seen since Princess Alice wore it. I assume that it's either been sold or it is still with her descendants. There is no reason to believe that this jewel could be available for Harry's bride, imo.

Last edited:

LaRae

Its intact, as of 2000 but it doesn't belong to the royal family. It never has.

Thought to be a wedding gift to Queen Mary's grandmother Augusta, it has belonged to the Teck line. Mary's mother inherited the tiara, but she gave it to her daughter in law, Alice. It passed through Alice to her daughter Lady May Abel and her granddaughter Anne Abel Smith. Anne's daughter in laws have worn it on their wedding day. The last being in 2000.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/01/03/teck-ears-of-wheat-tiara/

Its intact, as of 2000 but it doesn't belong to the royal family. It never has.

Thought to be a wedding gift to Queen Mary's grandmother Augusta, it has belonged to the Teck line. Mary's mother inherited the tiara, but she gave it to her daughter in law, Alice. It passed through Alice to her daughter Lady May Abel and her granddaughter Anne Abel Smith. Anne's daughter in laws have worn it on their wedding day. The last being in 2000.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/01/03/teck-ears-of-wheat-tiara/
If gifted to Augusta in 1818 it's been in the family for 200 years next year. That's amazing and very rare and I don't think many tiaras can match that. The only ones that springs to mind are the Napoleonic tiaras that ended up with the the Bernadottes and their descendants.

LaRae

That's absolutely stunning! Given that colored stones are not typically used for wedding tiaras, at least in the BRF, no matter how much I'd love to see a tiara with colored stones I think the Lozenge Bandeau might just have to get my vote. Here's hoping it's still in the vaults and might be brought out for Meghan! It's certainly beautiful enough to be a perfect wedding tiara.

On another note...the Daily Fail has an article today about Catherine's wedding tiara going on show with a royal collection in, I believe, Australia. Not that it would be highly likely for Meghan to wear the Scroll for her wedding since Catherine wore it just six short years ago but if the article is true and if there was a possibility of her wearing it, I think we can probably rule that one out.

If gifted to Augusta in 1818 it's been in the family for 200 years next year. That's amazing and very rare and I don't think many tiaras can match that. The only ones that springs to mind are the Napoleonic tiaras that ended up with the the Bernadottes and their descendants.

What an interesting tiara. The actual "ears of wheat" seem to be quite adjustible, based on the variety of positions they've been photographed in. I'm not quite sure why anyone would opt to have them all standing nearly straight up, though. That was never going to look like a diamond fringe, no matter how hard they seem to have tried at that one wedding.:eek:

What an interesting tiara. The actual "ears of wheat" seem to be quite adjustible, based on the variety of positions they've been photographed in. I'm not quite sure why anyone would opt to have them all standing nearly straight up, though. That was never going to look like a diamond fringe, no matter how hard they seem to have tried at that one wedding.:eek:
I agree, it looks strange with them standing up. It's actually quite nice with the ears more laying down.

Last edited:
We will never see anyone else wearing Queen Victoria's little crown as it is uniquely and purely something that remains in the history of royal jewels as solely belonging to her.

It also wouldn't work as something for Meghan to wear because it actually is a miniature imperial and state crown made especially for Victoria as I believe the real deal was a tad bit too heavy for her to wear comfortably. No one other than a female monarch would be eligible to wear any version of that crown.

And the Cullinan IX is too inextricably linked to the other stones cut from the original HUGE Diamond to be parted from the rest of the Collection. ANY ring given to Harry's Bride will [rightly] be HERS, and not a 'lifetime loan'. She can bequeath it to whomever she decides [after her death].
So historic stones from the core Royal Collection are not at all likely.

I agree with you Osipi, it is absolutely out of the question that the small crown will be worn by Harry's bride. It's a crown, after all, and was made to be worn by Queens only. It hasn't been worn since Queen Alexandra, and it's not likely that any future Queen will wear it again. But it certainly won't be worn by a Lady who's not the Queen.

I agree with you Osipi, it is absolutely out of the question that the small crown will be worn by Harry's bride. It's a crown, after all, and was made to be worn by Queens only. It hasn't been worn since Queen Alexandra, and it's not likely that any future Queen will wear it again. But it certainly won't be worn by a Lady who's not the Queen.

I think Queen Mary has worn it too... But will likely not be used again and certainly not on someone who is not crowned Queen.

Maybe QEII will surprise us and use it if she think the Imperial State Crown is too heavy to wear to the State Opening of Parliament ;) But that is an another discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom