Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla wore the Teck Circle in 2005 last I can tell.

The Delhi Dubar is a big piece, not likely to be worn by Meghan at the wedding IMO.

LaRae

I do think the Lotus Flower would be a good option along with that Sapphire Bandeau (assuming the stone is agreeable to the parties involved). The Strathmore rose of course if it's wearable and worn correctly.

LaRae

I'm sure the Duchess of Cornwall hasn't worn the Teck Circle [in Public] either as a tiara or necklace.
Since the death of Princess Margaret it has disappeared from view entirely.

Last edited:
Hmmm ok, I read an article that said she wore it in 2005 in connection with meeting the Norwegians ...but maybe they mis-identified what she wore.

LaRae

Since it hasn't been sold at Auction, nor as far as we know, been lent to or been worn by anyone else, there is every likelihood it has returned to the vaults, and therefore MIGHT be a possibility for any future bride of Prince Harry.
It is pleasingly geometric, unfussy and has a modern air to it..

Camilla wore the Teck Circle in 2005 last I can tell.

The Delhi Dubar is a big piece, not likely to be worn by Meghan at the wedding IMO.

LaRae

Camilla has never worn the Teck Crescent tiara in public. The Queen Diamonds book by Hugh Roberts indicated that the tiara, along with the Greville and the Delhi Durbar tiaras was now with Camilla.

The Teck Circle tiara / necklace is in the possession of the Earl of Snowden.

:previous: Camilla wears the Greville tiara so I don't think the Teck Crescent Tiara is still available to her.

Of course arguments can be made as to why some tiaras are more likely to be worn than others.

I agree that there are jewels in the vaults that can be used to create a tiara as was the case with Sophie's wedding tiara, although I am not overly impressed with the tiaras that have been created during Elizabeth II's reign.

It will be interesting to see if and how things change with future monarchs.

ETA:
I am not 100% sure but I don't think that Camilla has worn the Teck Circlet as a necklace and am pretty sure that she has not worn it as a tiara.

Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar Tiara once and now wears the Greville Tiara, so like with the Teck Crescent Tiara I don't think that the Delhi Durbar Tiara is still available to her.

Margaret wore the Poltimore, Persian Turquoise, Lotus, Sapphire Bandeau and Cartier Scroll tiaras. The Poltimore was her personal tiara, a gift from her mother IIRC, and it's a guess, but since Catherine has worn the Cartier Scroll and Lotus tiaras, I suspect that the Sapphire and Turquoise tiaras are back in the royal collection.

I will update my list in the previous post to add the Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara.

I don't necessarily subscribe to your theory. In fact, I don't think the Queen has a formal policy of sorts. When Sophie got married, there had been 2 daughters-in-law who had recently had messy divorces. So the Queen gave her a tiara at her wedding, an as time went on and the marriage seemed more stable, gave her access to more jewels. Sophie has used her wedding tiara after she started using the 5 aqua tiara. Similarly, she has used the convertible aqua tiara / necklace intermittently since 2004 or 2005, whilst also from time to time using her wedding tiara and more recently, the 5 aquamarine tiara.

Margaret used the Poltimore, Papyrus and the Turquoise tiaras for most of her life. When she was quite young, she also used the Halo and the Sapphire bandeau, but she probably did not have access to the other three tiaras at the time.

Last edited:
Hmmm ok, I read an article that said she wore it in 2005 in connection with meeting the Norwegians ...but maybe they mis-identified what she wore.

LaRae

That was the Delhi Durbar tiara that Camilla wore to the state banquet for the Norweigans. It was the very first tiara outing for Camilla.

The Teck Circle tiara / necklace is in the possession of the Earl of Snowden.

Do we know that for sure?

That's one I would love to see come back into regular use. It feels like enough of a "big dog" to me that it it's a shame to see it potentially as far from the center of the royal circle (and thus unlikely to be photographed) as an earl and his wife, even if that earl is the present queen's nephew.

Do we know that for sure?

That's one I would love to see come back into regular use. It feels like enough of a "big dog" to me that it it's a shame to see it potentially as far from the center of the royal circle (and thus unlikely to be photographed) as an earl and his wife, even if that earl is the present queen's nephew.
This is what the Queen's Diamonds by Hugh Roberts said.

Since 'the noble Lord' sold SO much that he inherited from his Mother, I think it likely that neither the Teck Circle nor the Persian Turquoise are 'his'..
Otherwise they'd be 'long gone' by now.... Both these pieces have a long and historic association in a way the Poltimore did not, so I'd 'lay money' they are back in the vault !

Since 'the noble Lord' sold SO much that he inherited from his Mother, I think it likely that neither the Teck Circle nor the Persian Turquoise are 'his'..
Otherwise they'd be 'long gone' by now.... Both these pieces have a long and historic association in a way the Poltimore did not, so I'd 'lay money' they are back in the vault !
Quite possibly. Though, the Hugh Roberts book was produced in close collaboration with BP, so us unlikely to be wrong on thus. The book was silent on the turquoise parure.

I don't necessarily subscribe to your theory. In fact, I don't think the Queen has a formal policy of sorts. When Sophie got married, there had been 2 daughters-in-law who had recently had messy divorces. So the Queen gave her a tiara at her wedding, an as time went on and the marriage seemed more stable, gave her access to more jewels. Sophie has used her wedding tiara after she started using the 5 aqua tiara. Similarly, she has used the convertible aqua tiara / necklace intermittently since 2004 or 2005, whilst also from time to time using her wedding tiara and more recently, the 5 aquamarine tiara.

Margaret used the Poltimore, Papyrus and the Turquoise tiaras for most of her life. When she was quite young, she also used the Halo and the Sapphire bandeau, but she probably did not have access to the other three tiaras at the time.

Sophie debuted the aquamarine tiara at a Luxembourg wedding event in October 2012 and I have not seen her in her wedding tiara since but feel free to post a photo that shows otherwise.

The Aquamarine Tiara Necklace seems to have no provenance before Sophie and my conclusion is that it was purchased by or gifted to the Wessexes.

The tiaras listed that Princess Margaret wore were her personal property (Poltimore) or tiaras that belonged to the Queen Mother and did not belong to the Queen/royal collection until after the Queen Mother's death.

It did not dawn on me until these recent discussions how many tiaras came into the BRF via Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Last edited:
:previous: No, she has indeed not worn her wedding tiara since 2011.

Her necklace tiara, the provenance and ownership is under question. It was believed to have been bought for her, as it is modern design and only ever seen on her. But when she wore it to CP and Sofia's wedding, it was reported her jewels were on loan from the queen. Which leads to some confusion.

As I've stated previously, I think that Queen Elizabeth only allows the other royal women access to one tiara from the royal collection but she does allow switching For example Catherine now wears the Lovers Knot tiara and therefore no longer has access to the Halo Scroll and Papyrus/Lotus tiaras. Therefore I think that royal collection tiaras previously worn by Sophie, Camilla and Catherine are available for loan to Harry's wife.

Royal Collection Tiaras That May Be Available:
Cartier Halo/Scroll Tiara
Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara
Delhi Durbar Tiara
Lotus Flower / Papyrus Tiara
Persian Turquoise Tiara??
Sapphire Bandeau Tiara
Sophie's Wedding Tiara
Strathmore Rose Tiara
Teck Circle Tiara
Teck Crescent Tiara
Anything Else?

My picks from the above list are:
Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara
Delhi Durbar Tiara
Lotus Flower / Papyrus Tiara
Sapphire Bandeau Tiara.

Sophie's wedding tiara? How did that make the list of possible tiaras :ermm:

Unlike the halo, it literally is that, Sophie's tiara. Like Sarah, she wasn't leant a tiara for her wedding like Kate, she was gifted one. It was made specifically for her as a wedding gift from the queen. Even if she doesn't wear the thing any more, it wont be seen on anyone but her or maybe Louise when older. Its like suggesting Sarah's would pop up on someone other then her girls.

The only thing more unlikely then Meghan wearing the same tiara as Kate to her wedding, is her wearing Sophie's.

I do hope the lotus is back in the pool. Its a beautiful tiara and would suit Meghan.

:previous: My understanding is that the components that make up Sophie's wedding tiara supposedly are from the royal collection with links to Queen Victoria, so while its present format was created for the Countess of Wessex, it is assumed to be part of the royal collection.

:previous: My understanding is that the components that make up Sophie's wedding tiara supposedly are from the royal collection with links to Queen Victoria, so while its present format was created for the Countess of Wessex, it is assumed to be part of the royal collection.

Yes on the fact they may have been from queen Victoria, but they were said to be from the queen's private collection. Not the royal collection.

You really think they are going to break up Sophie's wedding tiara and make a new one for Meghan :ermm: I don't see the queen destroying a wedding gift to her daughter in law to make one for her granddaughter in law. There are plenty of other jewels.

Last edited:
Yes on the fact they may have been from queen Victoria, but they were said to be from the queen's private collection. Not the royal collection.

You really think they are going to break up Sophie's wedding tiara and make a new one for Meghan :ermm: I don't see the queen destroying a wedding gift to her daughter in law to make one for her granddaughter in law. There are plenty of other jewels.
Huh? When did I state or imply such a thing?

There seems to be a bit of confusion around "The Royal Collection" and "HM Collection". The BRF had quite a collection of some historical note, then the Queen Mother really lucked out when Mrs Greville left her everything over £100 in her famous collection of jewellery, rumoured to number over 60 pieces! Queen Mary must have spat tacks. So heaven only knows what else is hiding in those dark and dreary vaults.

Open up I say!

:previous: Calling it the royal collection may be confusing or maybe even a misnomer. My understanding is that most if not all of the jewels that are not the crown jewels are the property of the monarch and therefore the Queen is free to pass them on to the next monarch or gift them to whomever she pleases (which what was actually happening until a few generations ago) but neither she nor her successors are likely to do so because of their provenance.

Last edited:
While many of the tiaras mentioned are beautiful in their own right and would look fabulous on Meghan, I have a personal affinity for colored stones and would love to see something with amethyst, emerald, peridot, topaz, aquamarine, etc. The Cartier Bandeau would be perfect, IMO, with Meghan's gorgeous coloring and dark hair. It's terribly, terribly disappointing that Queen Mary's amethyst tiara is no longer with the BRF because I really believe that would be the perfect stone for Meghan to sort of make her own. The BRF doesn't seem to particularly care for amethysts but they're my personal favorite and with Meghan's hair and coloring amethysts would absolutely pop and Queen Mary's amethyst tiara is stunning.

I would love to see Meghan receive a colored stone for an engagement ring, possibly Diana's aquamarine. I'm typically wrong on these matters and I'm sure I will be in this case since the BRF seems so averse to amethysts but maybe, just maybe, I'll get lucky and see her with my favorite stone in her ring or if the heavens all align in my favor for just one day, even in a new tiara purchased just for her!

In all likelihood, they'll dust off something beautiful from the vaults and if that's the case, I'm crossing my fingers for the Cartier Bandeau. Very art deco, very simple, and absolutely beautiful. Perfect for Meghan, who seems to be one who could easily carry off that style and make it her own.

Last edited:
Tiaras i would like to see on Meghan for her wedding and maybe later
The Strathmore Rose

The Teck Circle Tiara

The Teck Crescent Tiara

I cant see her in Cartier Hello or Lotus Tiara.. And I still think she will recieve a new Tiara.

:previous: Agreed. Of all those that may be available, those are my top 3 choices for Meghan.

The Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara isn't really one I see as a wedding tiara but I think it would look great on Meghan. I'd certainly love to see it worn again.

BRF doesn't seem to particularly care for amethysts but they're my personal favorite and with Meghan's hair and coloring amethysts would absolutely pop

I share your enthusiasm for these stones _Heather_. The only Amethysts remaining with the BRF [ that we know of] are the Kent Amethyst demi-Parure, which was left by Queen Victoria to the Crown. HMQ has worn them just twice in her reign, altho' the Brooch has appeared a little more regularly.
As they are amongst the oldest pieces in the Royal Collection [and so rarely seen] we don't know what condition they may be in and the necklace is pretty much unwearable for a young Woman.
The NEVER seen Hair-combs must be sensational !
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure

I share your enthusiasm for these stones _Heather_. The only Amethysts remaining with the BRF [ that we know of] are the Kent Amethyst demi-Parure, which was left by Queen Victoria to the Crown. HMQ has worn them just twice in her reign, altho' the Brooch has appeared a little more regularly.
As they are amongst the oldest pieces in the Royal Collection [and so rarely seen] we don't know what condition they may be in and the necklace is pretty much unwearable for a young Woman.
The NEVER seen Hair-combs must be sensational !
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure

Good to know I'm not the only fan of such pretty stones! While I agree with other posters that Meghan will, in all likelihood, wear a tiara for the wedding, if by some chance she didn't AND the amethyst haircombs are still in existence, it could make for a stunning hairstyle with plenty of sparkle and could pave the way for her to set her own style throughout her marriage. I'd dearly love to see her make the amethyst her own in the way that we've seen Catherine do with sapphires. Yes, I know she's not the only member of the family to have a sapphire ring/earrings, etc. but it does seem that I at least associate her with sapphires just as I associated Sarah Ferguson with rubies, etc.

I also love amethysts, but I'm certain Meghan will get one of the major gemstones for her engagement ring, and that means diamond, emerald, ruby, or sapphire.

Lovely as they are, amethysts and aquamarines and topazes are less valuable, so they are unlikely to be used.
Maybe later on, but not for an engagement ring.

I don't understand what value has to do with anything. IF Meghan loves Aquamarines (or whatever 'lesser' stone) and wants that as an engagement ring then why not?

LaRae

Tiaras i would like to see on Meghan for her wedding and maybe later
The Strathmore Rose

The Teck Circle Tiara

The Teck Crescent Tiara

I cant see her in Cartier Hello or Lotus Tiara.. And I still think she will recieve a new Tiara.
Camilla has the Teck Crescent tiara and Snowden has thd Teck Circle necklace tiara

I really hope that Harry's bride will wear a wedding tiara with a royal history, and one that hasn't been worn in a while. Imo it should be something that's not associated with Kate or Sophie.

The Duchess of Cornwall probably wouldn't mind parting with the Teck crescent tiara, as she doesn't wear it anyways. And if it's true that the Strathmore is in bad repair, as has been often stated, than it's about time to get it properly restored, as befits a valuable heirloom. So I think that these two are possible contenders.

Also, there is at least one of Queen Mary's diamond bandeaus that isn't accounted for. So I hope that it is still in the vault and might see the light of day again.

Queen Mary's sapphire bandeau hasn't been seen since Princess Margaret wore it in young age. So it should be available as well. Only, I don't think the the BRF is fond of coloured stones in wedding tiaras. So i'd put my money on diamonds, with or without pearls.

IIRC at least a few of the BRF tiaras have interchangeable options so gemstones (colored) can be swapped into the place of diamonds. Seems like the Queen has wore tiaras like that and so have other ladies in the BRF.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom