Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was possible because floral wreaths on your head were fashionable in the 80s. Not so much in 2000's. I cant remotely picture a bride wearing a huge wreath like Sarah did, today, and looking remotely fashionable.

Agreed. Meghan's style is very unfussy. Sleek and clean lines. Flowers big enough to cover a tiara would look very busy and fussy. Not to mention very 80's (as was said). Gotta love the 80's! I see her going with a loaner tiara.

Yes, flowers are not fashionable now and not Meghan's style at all. Maybe a dress like Victoria's would be a good fit for her (with a simpler tiara of course) - I hope she doesn't pick lace...

Yes, flowers are not fashionable now and not Meghan's style at all. Maybe a dress like Victoria's would be a good fit for her (with a simpler tiara of course) - I hope she doesn't pick lace...

Flowers are coming back in. But not in the massive style of the 80's. Smaller headband style. And for more bohemian chic kind of weddings. That kind would neither hide a tiara, nor suit a cathedral wedding. Nor suit Meghan IMO who doesn't give me a boho feel for fashion.

I agree, something like Victoria dress wise would be great. I don't see her being a swath of lace.

Is there any chance she could wear the strathmore rose tiara? I know it's extremely special to HM, being her mother's, but I love it so much, especially the way the late QM wore it on her forehead. I would love to see more vintage 1920s style coming back. I think Meghan could look really beautiful wearing that tiara, especially with her hair up. But it is probably a very long shot. I just wondered if there was any chance. I hope she doesn't just get to wear the same one Kate wore. I think it would be kind of insulting to have her do anything just like Kate did. Like, that was Kate's wedding, and Meghan's wedding should be totally different. Different everything, dress, tiara, all jewels different. I think nothing, at least respecting the bride's person, should be the same.

Is there any chance she could wear the strathmore rose tiara? I know it's extremely special to HM, being her mother's, but I love it so much, especially the way the late QM wore it on her forehead. I would love to see more vintage 1920s style coming back. I think Meghan could look really beautiful wearing that tiara, especially with her hair up. But it is probably a very long shot. I just wondered if there was any chance. I hope she doesn't just get to wear the same one Kate wore. I think it would be kind of insulting to have her do anything just like Kate did. Like, that was Kate's wedding, and Meghan's wedding should be totally different. Different everything, dress, tiara, all jewels different. I think nothing, at least respecting the bride's person, should be the same.

Last heard, the Strathmore Rose was in a some disrepair. Whist nothing stops HM from having it remade, she may well choose to acquire a full parure (or a married parure) for the incoming bride, so that she does not risk any family jewels leaving the main line of the BRF.

Obviously there are traditions that carry through every wedding ceremony. That's fine and understandable. I really meant.... I know I said "different everything" but what I truly meant was "different everything" unique to the bride. I mean, I think some things like her dress, her tiara, or whatever jewelry if not a tiara, these are things that can and should be individualized. But that's just my feeling about it. It's not science. :flowers:

In that I agree. Catherine wore ear rings that represented the family's new coat of arms. I am pretty sure Meghan won't borrow those. As there doesn't seem to be a 'wedding tiara' (which for example is the case in the Dutch royal family - at least for the minor princes' brides), it makes sense to offer a different one to Meghan. And I am sure she won't copy cat Catherine's gown but will choose one of her own taste. I mainly hope that they would feel free to do is they like/see fit (with the queen's approval) whether or not that has some aspects to William and Catherine's wedding. For example, she should feel free to wear her hair down even though Catherine did so (and while I prefer it up ;)).

Do we have pictures of her first wedding dress? This one will be more formal and her taste has evolved but it could give us some idea (or at least food for thought/speculation - she might try to avoid resemblance to that one as well).

Last edited:
Perhaps Meghan would prefer hair jewelry instead of a tiara?
There are some magnificent brooches in the vaults that would look spectacular!

Would that also work with a veil or would you suggest she only wears hair jewelry without a veil? I wasn't a big fan of Charlene's combination...

I'm sure that would look lovely but I confess it would be a bit disappointing. There aren't *that* tiara events, are there? It's just cool to see people who have them flaunt them whenever possible! :lol:

Perhaps -

a] The Waterfall Fringe Brooch
b] Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches
or
c] The 'Williamson' Pink Diamond Rose ?

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 105
  • bow brooches.jpg
    bow brooches.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 80
  • pink.jpg
    pink.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 98
Although my own engagement ring stone is a diamond, I definitely have a preference for colored stones...aquamarine, amethyst, emerald, peridot, topaz. I'd love to see an engagement ring with a colored stone, my preference would be an amethyst but I think I remember reading somewhere that the BRF doesn't really have many amethysts. That's not to say that one couldn't be purchased for her but I definitely think either her engagement ring or tiara or maybe both will have a link to Diana. With that in mind I'd love to see the aquamarine ring given to Meghan. Amethysts are my personal favorite and would look absolutely beautiful with Meghan's skin tones but again, I don't really look for the ring to be an amethyst.

As for her tiara...I can definitely see her going with something sleek and "unfussy" possibly with an art-deco feel. The Cartier Bandeau certainly comes to mind and would be beautiful. But if I had my pick of absolutely any BRF tiara for Meghan...with that beautiful dark hair and the desire to have something a bit...different and unique...it'd be this...
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday (on a Wednesday): Queen Mary's Amethyst Tiara

I think that might be my favorite tiara ever and that purple would absolutely pop. One can dream, I suppose!

Perhaps -

a] The Waterfall Fringe Brooch
b] Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches
or
c] The 'Williamson' Pink Diamond Rose ?

Even if a future wife of Harry were to choose to wear brooches in her hair in place of a tiara, I think it is highly unlikely that any of the brooches the Queen actively uses (which includes all of the above) would be lent out.

There are a lot of things you can do with your hair which involve putting jewels in them, besides wearing a tiara. Pick up any book or magazine on bridal hair and you'll see. At one time ladies used to wear lots of little pearls or diamante jewels scattered in their hair. It's particularly easy for a hairdresser to do if the hair is worn up. I myself had some dragonfly jewelled hairpins, but I didn't get to wear them ever because my hair has gone a bit thin. I do think Meghan will wear a tiara because it is a pretty big royal tradition, but for most non-royal brides there are many options, including flowers (my SIL wore a single fabric flower matching her dress for her second wedding) or fascinators. We are renewing our vows next year to celebrate 20 years of marriage, and I am wearing a cream fascinator. For our wedding I wore a tiara and veil, for our smaller church blessing I wore just a tiara, but now I don't think it's appropriate as I will be 55 when we renew. (Although it is the same guy all three times).

I have read that 'etiquette' used to dictate no white dress and no veil for second weddings, but apparently most people now agree that rule is old-fashioned. The only thing some experts still agree on is the veil covering the face shouldn't happen for second weddings. I doubt Meghan and Harry will take any notice of that though. After all Meghan is only 36, has no children, was only married for a short time in a civil ceremony, and it's a BRF wedding lol!

I think it's all down to what the bride feels comfortable wearing. In one of my true life story magazines, an 80 year old lady who'd had a cheap and cheerful wedding when she originally got hitched, had this dream of a big white wedding that she had missed out on, and for their anniversary (60 years I think it was) their children clubbed together to pay for one. Well, sweet as it is, I will probably sound horrible, but I just don't think this lady suited what she wore: a proper poofy bridal gown, veil and tiara. Imagine Camilla had worn something like that to marry Charles? The fashion critics would have had a field day! Am I being rotten to the old lady?

It would not surprise me if the Spencer Tiara made an appearance as Meghan's wedding tirara. William used Diana's ring to Kate as a way to include his mother. and Harry will want to include some reference to her as well. I know the tiara belongs to the Spencer family - but I am sure Charles Spencer would love to loan the tiara to Harry for his bride to wear on her wedding day (I think Harry would have to make the request of his uncle). I would not expect it to be a permanent loan at all - just a family heirloom from the grooms mother being borrowed and used in a family wedding. I dont think this would have been a viable option for Catherine marrying the heir, but I think with the 2nd son - a little more latitude could be made. If history is anything - the 2nd (and 3rd) son's brides have not been given high profile wedding tiaras.

Would either the Teck Crescent (apparently on loan to Camilla but she has never worn it as far as we know?!) or the Papyrus/Lotus tiara (that was most recently worn by Catherine but already had it's debute as a wedding tiara at the wedding of Viscount Linley and Serena Stanhope) be an option - if they would go for an existing tiara? Both are relatively small which seems fitting for her position in the family - I like the Papyrus/Lotus one slightly better as it seems to fit better with her style.

Last edited:
It would not surprise me if the Spencer Tiara made an appearance as Meghan's wedding tirara. William used Diana's ring to Kate as a way to include his mother. and Harry will want to include some reference to her as well. I know the tiara belongs to the Spencer family - but I am sure Charles Spencer would love to loan the tiara to Harry for his bride to wear on her wedding day (I think Harry would have to make the request of his uncle). I would not expect it to be a permanent loan at all - just a family heirloom from the grooms mother being borrowed and used in a family wedding. I dont think this would have been a viable option for Catherine marrying the heir, but I think with the 2nd son - a little more latitude could be made. If history is anything - the 2nd (and 3rd) son's brides have not been given high profile wedding tiaras.

The only reason Diana was able to wear the Spencer tiara for her wedding was because she was the daughter of Earl Spencer who actually owned the tiara at the time. The Spencer tiara now rightfully belongs to Diana's brother, Charles and the only females that would wear it would be the Earl's wife and perhaps the Earl's daughters when they marry. I just don't see Harry borrowing it for his wedding at all. If anything is loaned, it will be a loan from the Queen herself or there will be a tiara made up especially for Harry's bride that will remain with her throughout her marriage.

Harry is part owner of all of Diana's personal jewelry that included Diana's engagement ring which William used. If a new tiara is made, its possible that some of the stones from their inheritance could be used for Harry's bride but I would wager that the chances of the Spencer tiara making an appearance is very, very slim.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Couldn't Lord Spencer loan the Spencer tiara to her ? Aren't there actually two Spencer tiaras? The one everyone knows, and another one I think.

But I would rather that she doesn't wear anything that is too obviously Diana. I mean, I guess if that's what she and Harry want, ok, but.... meh.

The more I think about it, the more I think the tiara kate wore (at wedding) would look really good on Meghan.... She's very petite so I think something not too overbearing....

There are two Spencer tiaras but one is rather ugly IMHO and the other is very well known. I don't believe that a Spencer tiara will be used but rather Harry's wife will use an existing one from the collection or will be gifted one.

Last heard, the Strathmore Rose was in a some disrepair. Whist nothing stops HM from having it remade, she may well choose to acquire a full parure (or a married parure) for the incoming bride, so that she does not risk any family jewels leaving the main line of the BRF.

Yes because ultimately Harry's descendants will one day no longer be considered a part of the BRF main line much like we see happening with the Gloucester and Kent descendants of George V. This tiara would be able to remain with their family for future use.

Last edited:
The Strathmore Rose is a beautiful piece but no one has seen it in decades. It might be in the BRF vaults either intact or dismantled.

Yes I agree that it would be impossible to avoid all similarities unless they opt something far from the BRF norm such as a wedding in a circus tent in the middle of a grassy field with the couple in matching plaid jumpsuits with only their pets as their attendants.

I understand that rumors are that The Strathmore Rose Tiara is very sentimental, but may not be in the best condition for current wearing. The Queen's tiara broke on her wedding day. Get a jeweler to alter the tiara enough to be wearable. They have officials jewelers to the crown. Enough time sitting in a vault.

There will always be comparisons between Catherine and Meghan whether they are fair or not.

Last edited:
Couldn't Lord Spencer loan the Spencer tiara to her ? Aren't there actually two Spencer tiaras? The one everyone knows, and another one I think.

But I would rather that she doesn't wear anything that is too obviously Diana. I mean, I guess if that's what she and Harry want, ok, but.... meh.

The more I think about it, the more I think the tiara kate wore (at wedding) would look really good on Meghan.... She's very petite so I think something not too overbearing....

He could.....but why would he? It is his family tiara. Traditionally it is worn by a countess or daughter of the Spencer family. The Windsors have plenty of tiaras without borrowing one from the Spencer family.

I also find it highly unlikely, even if returned to vault, Meghan would wear Kate's wedding tiara.

It was rumored to be in disrepair as it had not been worn in decades. But when it was seen in 2002 on display at the museum, it was seen to be in pretty good shape.

There is no need to worry about it leaving the main line. She doesn't have to gift the tiara to Meghan. She would simply lend it to Meghan, as she has likely done with the halo and lotus tiaras to Kate. There is no need for there to be a tiara to remain in the family. If Harry's kids and grandkids need to wear one in the future, likely can be loaned one from the vaults.

I personally think we will see a tiara that was once used by Princess Margaret in her youth on Meghan's head.

~ Queen Mum Sapphire Bandeau tiara

Charles is a sentimental person, he may refurbish another of the Queen Mum's tiaras for Meghan. After all she will be the daughter-in-law of the king someday.

Possibilities:
~Strathmore rose tiara (get it repaired to be wearable). The Royal family has access to jewelers.

I think Meghan will eventually have access to the Persian Turquoise Tiara/parure.

I also believe that Charles will purchase her a tiara and gift it for a wedding present.

So if Catherine has access to the Papyrus tiara and the Cambridge Lover's Know, are these lifetime loans?

Can she then loan them to Meghan? Or does that have to go through the Queen/Prince Charles?

So if Catherine has access to the Papyrus tiara and the Cambridge Lover's Know, are these lifetime loans?

Can she then loan them to Meghan? Or does that have to go through the Queen/Prince Charles?

No one knows. We haven't seen her wear the halo since the wedding, or the lotus since she started wearing the Cambridge. If they were life time loans, I doubt she would have been given access to so many. She will one day be POW and queen, and will have access of the much larger tiaras worn by Camilla and the queen now. The only tiara she has worn which I would say is off limits would be the lovers knot. It seems to be her tiara now to wear.

The queen and later Charles can lend her any tiara that belongs to the family. Other then those which are reserved for the queen.

Queen Mary's sapphire bandeau, if still in the family, would be beautiful :flowers:

I do hope for the Strathmore. I was happy it was not brought out for Kate. It has a particular look that is hard to carry off. It looks best across the forehead IMO. The only two people I can see it looking good on is either Meghan or Eugenie. I think they may have chosen not to bring out an old tiara for Kate because just as we saw, she will have access to more then one. The rose may have got little use if brought out for Kate. Meghan will likely be like Sophie, and only have one tiara the first few years. All the more reason to have one refurbished for her.

Last edited:
To be honest, HM seems to be moving into the use it or lose it phase having discovered that jewels that are not worn often miss out on upkeep. We only have to look at The Strathmore Rose for that situation.

HM has lent more jewellery; bracelets, brooches, necklaces, earrings and even tiara's to Sophie and Catherine. Camilla has her own Cubitt-Shand tiara and access to two others, the mighty Boucheron and The Delhi Durbar with a rumour of having the Teck Crescent.

With Catherine having worn the Halo Scroll, Papyrus and Lovers Knot it seems the dreams we all had of opening up the vault is actually happening. So we can imagine Meghan wearing just about anything that isn't for the sole use of the Monarch or Consort, HM's personal favourites and those worn more than once by Camilla, Sophie and Catherine.

I would love to see her in the Sapphire Bandeau with the Oman Sapphire and Diamond necklace and earrings from Diana's collection. All my personal favourites. :D

The Sapphire Bandeau would very much suit Meghan's coloring (and really she can probably wear almost any color stone well) however she may not even like sapphires.

The Strathmore Rose, well it's not a favorite for me. Seems like it is awkward to wear and look right. If it's worn right maybe it would work well.

LaRae

As I've stated previously, I think that Queen Elizabeth only allows the other royal women access to one tiara from the royal collection but she does allow switching For example Catherine now wears the Lovers Knot tiara and therefore no longer has access to the Halo Scroll and Papyrus/Lotus tiaras. Therefore I think that royal collection tiaras previously worn by Sophie, Camilla and Catherine are available for loan to Harry's wife.

Royal Collection Tiaras That May Be Available:
Cartier Halo/Scroll Tiara
Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara
Delhi Durbar Tiara
Lotus Flower / Papyrus Tiara
Persian Turquoise Tiara??
Sapphire Bandeau Tiara
Sophie's Wedding Tiara
Strathmore Rose Tiara
Teck Circle Tiara
Teck Crescent Tiara
Anything Else?

My picks from the above list are:
Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara
Delhi Durbar Tiara
Lotus Flower / Papyrus Tiara
Sapphire Bandeau Tiara.

Last edited:
There are several Meghan could wear...and who knows what is in those vaults unseen for decades ..and could be used to make a new tiara.

I don't think she'll wear the Halo since Kate wore it to her wedding. Ditto for Sophie's wedding tiara.

The Teck Crescent is with Camilla so that one is unlikely too.

The Delhi Dubar is associated with Camilla.

The Teck Circle has also been worn by Camilla.

The Persian Turquoise tiara I thought was Margaret's...did she pass it to her children?

LaRae

Last edited:
:previous: Camilla wears the Greville tiara so I don't think the Teck Crescent Tiara is still available to her.

Of course arguments can be made as to why some tiaras are more likely to be worn than others.

I agree that there are jewels in the vaults that can be used to create a tiara as was the case with Sophie's wedding tiara, although I am not overly impressed with the tiaras that have been created during Elizabeth II's reign.

It will be interesting to see if and how things change with future monarchs.

ETA:
I am not 100% sure but I don't think that Camilla has worn the Teck Circlet as a necklace and am pretty sure that she has not worn it as a tiara.

Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar Tiara once and now wears the Greville Tiara, so like with the Teck Crescent Tiara I don't think that the Delhi Durbar Tiara is still available to her.

Margaret wore the Poltimore, Persian Turquoise, Lotus, Sapphire Bandeau and Cartier Scroll tiaras. The Poltimore was her personal tiara, a gift from her mother IIRC, and it's a guess, but since Catherine has worn the Cartier Scroll and Lotus tiaras, I suspect that the Sapphire and Turquoise tiaras are back in the royal collection.

I will update my list in the previous post to add the Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom