The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

When it come to QEII, I can only think of the Vladimir tiara, which can be worn with the original pearls or with the Cambridge emeralds. And I doubt that Harry's bride will get one of the Queen's personal favourites. Apart from that, the Gloucesters have a palmette tiara with interchangeble centre, but well, that's with the Gloucesters. Queen Mary one wore the sapphire bandeau with an emerald brooch in the centre, but I don't know about a diamond centre piece for that tiara.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Majesty

No she's not going to get one of the Queen's big tiaras. Just pointing out they do at times wear colored stones in their tiaras.

LaRae

Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
No she's not going to get one of the Queen's big tiaras. Just pointing out they do at times wear colored stones in their tiaras.

LaRae
They do, but not for weddings.

And, you're right about many people choosing a favorite gemstone for an engagement ring, regardless of value.
But I don't see the BRF going that way.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, not at weddings, that's what I thought. The Queen has several tiaras with coloured stones, Sophie has the two aquamarine tiaras. But no member of the RF has ever worn a wedding tiara with coloured stones.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Hmmm that's true about weddings, I hadn't thought about that with the tiaras, they wouldn't want to clash with the bridal party.

Harry and Meghan are doing their own thing to some degree. It wouldn't suprise me if they do something not quite traditional with the rings or even the wedding!

LaRae
Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't understand what value has to do with anything. IF Meghan loves Aquamarines (or whatever 'lesser' stone) and wants that as an engagement ring then why not?

LaRae
Value matters because we're talking about a royal doing the giving, not some random guy off the street. If Meghan loves aquamarines so much (and there's no reason to think she does) then perhaps she'll take to Diana's aquamarine ring and wear it on occasion. But I wouldn't expect her to be given one as an engagement ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Queen Mary's sapphire bandeau hasn't been seen since Princess Margaret wore it in young age. So it should be available as well. Only, I don't think the the BRF is fond of coloured stones in wedding tiaras. So i'd put my money on diamonds, with or without pearls.
The sapphire bandeau is one of my least favorite tiaras and I definitely don't see it as a wedding tiara. I suppose Meghan could make it work if she wore it to a state banquet, for example, but it really wouldn't be one of my choices for her.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Majesty

Sadly, I believe that Harry's wife will receive a "new" tiara with no royal provenance just as Princess Margaret received the Poltimore, Sarah received (the most beautiful) mystery tiara, as did Sophie. There is speculation that Sophie's was created from was created from four detachable anthemions from Queen Victoria's regal circlet. However, that cannot be confirmed.

On the other hand, the senior line went royal with Diana receiving the Lovers Knot, Camilla receiving the Delhi Durbar and Catherine the Halo Scroll. All of these have significant historical value but Camilla and Catherine seem to have access to three apiece.

I am guessing it is all about keeping the historical pieces in the family as those of the Snowdon's, York's and Wessexes, when passed to their children are/will be lost to the family as the speed with which the Poltimore left the family attests.

So, either HM has something that can be created or, to my mind more likely, Prince Charles has purchased a tiara at auction. Since he has impeccable taste, here's hoping it is his choice.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Majesty

I love Sarah's tiara too!

I am hoping hoping hoping Meghan gets to use a tiara with provenance. Open the vaults!!!

LaRae
Old 11-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Sadly, I believe that Harry's wife will receive a "new" tiara with no royal provenance just as Princess Margaret received the Poltimore, Sarah received (the most beautiful) mystery tiara, as did Sophie. There is speculation that Sophie's was created from was created from four detachable anthemions from Queen Victoria's regal circlet. However, that cannot be confirmed.

On the other hand, the senior line went royal with Diana receiving the Lovers Knot, Camilla receiving the Delhi Durbar and Catherine the Halo Scroll. All of these have significant historical value but Camilla and Catherine seem to have access to three apiece.

I am guessing it is all about keeping the historical pieces in the family as those of the Snowdon's, York's and Wessexes, when passed to their children are/will be lost to the family as the speed with which the Poltimore left the family attests.

So, either HM has something that can be created or, to my mind more likely, Prince Charles has purchased a tiara at auction. Since he has impeccable taste, here's hoping it is his choice.
Hmmmmm.......I admit to knowing next to nothing about jewels, so this has been fascinating. But I think I might like the idea of Meghan being given a new tiara? So it can be passed down, Meghan and Harry's family line. I'm torn because I get wanting her to get one with some history behind it.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
When it come to QEII, I can only think of the Vladimir tiara, which can be worn with the original pearls or with the Cambridge emeralds. And I doubt that Harry's bride will get one of the Queen's personal favourites. Apart from that, the Gloucesters have a palmette tiara with interchangeble centre, but well, that's with the Gloucesters. Queen Mary one wore the sapphire bandeau with an emerald brooch in the centre, but I don't know about a diamond centre piece for that tiara.
They could make a new diamond central element which can be placed in the tiara insteed of the sapphire. This way the tiara would also become more versatil.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
They could make a new diamond central element which can be placed in the tiara insteed of the sapphire. This way the tiara would also become more versatil.
I do hope they don't give Harry's wife the sapphire bandeau. It's a lovely tiara with quite a lot of provenance;, and I would hate to see it leave the main line.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I do hope they don't give Harry's wife the sapphire bandeau. It's a lovely tiara with quite a lot of provenance;, and I would hate to see it leave the main line.
I can't see that given to her. Loaned for the wedding or other royal engagements, yes.

LaRae
Old 11-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

Whichever Tiara the lady gets, if it's an historic piece associated with the BRF it will be a lifetime loan...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Majesty

Assuming there's no objection to sapphires that Sapphire Bandeau would be lovely on her.

LaRae
Old 11-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Majesty

Hidden British Royal Tiaras | The Court Jeweller

Ok folks in the know...do we know anything about the following tiara (scroll down at the link)?

Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge Bandeau

Very art deco/modern looking.

LaRae
Old 11-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Ok folks in the know...do we know anything about the following tiara (scroll down at the link)?

LaRae
And just like that, I know which one I hope will come out of storage (please let it be in royal storage) as the next bridal tiara. Gosh, that's lovely...without being boring, which I usually find all-diamond ones to be.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Also is anything known about the Duchess of Teck Ears of Wheat Tiara? Is it still intact or do we know?

LaRae
Old 11-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
And just like that, I know which one I hope will come out of storage (please let it be in royal storage) as the next bridal tiara. Gosh, that's lovely...without being boring, which I usually find all-diamond ones to be.
I am not a fan of art deco but I actually like that and I think it would suit Meghan.

Here's lots more pics of various tiaras: http://www.thetudorswiki.com/page/Mo...h+Royal+Tiaras

LaRae
Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

LaRae
Nothing known about it's current whereabouts, so it could be still sitting in the vaults. At least I hope so! It's about time that it comes out into daylight again, imo.

Quote:
Also is anything known about the Duchess of Teck Ears of Wheat Tiara? Is it still intact or do we know?

LaRae
Afaik, that tiara hasn't been seen since Princess Alice wore it. I assume that it's either been sold or it is still with her descendants. There is no reason to believe that this jewel could be available for Harry's bride, imo.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:

LaRae
Its intact, as of 2000 but it doesn't belong to the royal family. It never has.

Thought to be a wedding gift to Queen Mary's grandmother Augusta, it has belonged to the Teck line. Mary's mother inherited the tiara, but she gave it to her daughter in law, Alice. It passed through Alice to her daughter Lady May Abel and her granddaughter Anne Abel Smith. Anne's daughter in laws have worn it on their wedding day. The last being in 2000.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/01...f-wheat-tiara/

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry