The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatianacressida View Post
Couldn't Lord Spencer loan the Spencer tiara to her ? Aren't there actually two Spencer tiaras? The one everyone knows, and another one I think.

But I would rather that she doesn't wear anything that is too obviously Diana. I mean, I guess if that's what she and Harry want, ok, but.... meh.

The more I think about it, the more I think the tiara kate wore (at wedding) would look really good on Meghan.... She's very petite so I think something not too overbearing....
He could.....but why would he? It is his family tiara. Traditionally it is worn by a countess or daughter of the Spencer family. The Windsors have plenty of tiaras without borrowing one from the Spencer family.

I also find it highly unlikely, even if returned to vault, Meghan would wear Kate's wedding tiara.

Quote:
Last heard, the Strathmore Rose was in a some disrepair. Whist nothing stops HM from having it remade, she may well choose to acquire a full parure (or a married parure) for the incoming bride, so that she does not risk any family jewels leaving the main line of the BRF.
It was rumored to be in disrepair as it had not been worn in decades. But when it was seen in 2002 on display at the museum, it was seen to be in pretty good shape.

There is no need to worry about it leaving the main line. She doesn't have to gift the tiara to Meghan. She would simply lend it to Meghan, as she has likely done with the halo and lotus tiaras to Kate. There is no need for there to be a tiara to remain in the family. If Harry's kids and grandkids need to wear one in the future, likely can be loaned one from the vaults.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Commoner

I personally think we will see a tiara that was once used by Princess Margaret in her youth on Meghan's head.

~ Queen Mum Sapphire Bandeau tiara

Charles is a sentimental person, he may refurbish another of the Queen Mum's tiaras for Meghan. After all she will be the daughter-in-law of the king someday.

Possibilities:
~Strathmore rose tiara (get it repaired to be wearable). The Royal family has access to jewelers.

I think Meghan will eventually have access to the Persian Turquoise Tiara/parure.

I also believe that Charles will purchase her a tiara and gift it for a wedding present.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 AM
Commoner

So if Catherine has access to the Papyrus tiara and the Cambridge Lover's Know, are these lifetime loans?

Can she then loan them to Meghan? Or does that have to go through the Queen/Prince Charles?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretijean View Post
So if Catherine has access to the Papyrus tiara and the Cambridge Lover's Know, are these lifetime loans?

Can she then loan them to Meghan? Or does that have to go through the Queen/Prince Charles?
No one knows. We haven't seen her wear the halo since the wedding, or the lotus since she started wearing the Cambridge. If they were life time loans, I doubt she would have been given access to so many. She will one day be POW and queen, and will have access of the much larger tiaras worn by Camilla and the queen now. The only tiara she has worn which I would say is off limits would be the lovers knot. It seems to be her tiara now to wear.

The queen and later Charles can lend her any tiara that belongs to the family. Other then those which are reserved for the queen.

Queen Mary's sapphire bandeau, if still in the family, would be beautiful

I do hope for the Strathmore. I was happy it was not brought out for Kate. It has a particular look that is hard to carry off. It looks best across the forehead IMO. The only two people I can see it looking good on is either Meghan or Eugenie. I think they may have chosen not to bring out an old tiara for Kate because just as we saw, she will have access to more then one. The rose may have got little use if brought out for Kate. Meghan will likely be like Sophie, and only have one tiara the first few years. All the more reason to have one refurbished for her.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:35 AM
Majesty

To be honest, HM seems to be moving into the use it or lose it phase having discovered that jewels that are not worn often miss out on upkeep. We only have to look at The Strathmore Rose for that situation.

HM has lent more jewellery; bracelets, brooches, necklaces, earrings and even tiara's to Sophie and Catherine. Camilla has her own Cubitt-Shand tiara and access to two others, the mighty Boucheron and The Delhi Durbar with a rumour of having the Teck Crescent.

With Catherine having worn the Halo Scroll, Papyrus and Lovers Knot it seems the dreams we all had of opening up the vault is actually happening. So we can imagine Meghan wearing just about anything that isn't for the sole use of the Monarch or Consort, HM's personal favourites and those worn more than once by Camilla, Sophie and Catherine.

I would love to see her in the Sapphire Bandeau with the Oman Sapphire and Diamond necklace and earrings from Diana's collection. All my personal favourites.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Majesty

The Sapphire Bandeau would very much suit Meghan's coloring (and really she can probably wear almost any color stone well) however she may not even like sapphires.

The Strathmore Rose, well it's not a favorite for me. Seems like it is awkward to wear and look right. If it's worn right maybe it would work well.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Courtier

As I've stated previously, I think that Queen Elizabeth only allows the other royal women access to one tiara from the royal collection but she does allow switching For example Catherine now wears the Lovers Knot tiara and therefore no longer has access to the Halo Scroll and Papyrus/Lotus tiaras. Therefore I think that royal collection tiaras previously worn by Sophie, Camilla and Catherine are available for loan to Harry's wife.

Royal Collection Tiaras That May Be Available:
Cartier Halo/Scroll Tiara
Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara
Delhi Durbar Tiara
Lotus Flower / Papyrus Tiara
Persian Turquoise Tiara??
Sapphire Bandeau Tiara
Sophie's Wedding Tiara
Strathmore Rose Tiara
Teck Circle Tiara
Teck Crescent Tiara
Anything Else?

My picks from the above list are:
Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara
Delhi Durbar Tiara
Lotus Flower / Papyrus Tiara
Sapphire Bandeau Tiara.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Sophie's Wedding Tiara
Old 10-31-2017, 01:52 PM
Majesty

There are several Meghan could wear...and who knows what is in those vaults unseen for decades ..and could be used to make a new tiara.

I don't think she'll wear the Halo since Kate wore it to her wedding. Ditto for Sophie's wedding tiara.

The Teck Crescent is with Camilla so that one is unlikely too.

The Delhi Dubar is associated with Camilla.

The Teck Circle has also been worn by Camilla.

The Persian Turquoise tiara I thought was Margaret's...did she pass it to her children?

LaRae
Old 10-31-2017, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Camilla wears the Greville tiara so I don't think the Teck Crescent Tiara is still available to her.

Of course arguments can be made as to why some tiaras are more likely to be worn than others.

I agree that there are jewels in the vaults that can be used to create a tiara as was the case with Sophie's wedding tiara, although I am not overly impressed with the tiaras that have been created during Elizabeth II's reign.

It will be interesting to see if and how things change with future monarchs.

ETA:
I am not 100% sure but I don't think that Camilla has worn the Teck Circlet as a necklace and am pretty sure that she has not worn it as a tiara.

Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar Tiara once and now wears the Greville Tiara, so like with the Teck Crescent Tiara I don't think that the Delhi Durbar Tiara is still available to her.

Margaret wore the Poltimore, Persian Turquoise, Lotus, Sapphire Bandeau and Cartier Scroll tiaras. The Poltimore was her personal tiara, a gift from her mother IIRC, and it's a guess, but since Catherine has worn the Cartier Scroll and Lotus tiaras, I suspect that the Sapphire and Turquoise tiaras are back in the royal collection.

I will update my list in the previous post to add the Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM
Majesty

Camilla wore the Teck Circle in 2005 last I can tell.

The Delhi Dubar is a big piece, not likely to be worn by Meghan at the wedding IMO.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Majesty

More British Royal Tiaras - The Tudors Wiki

This is a pretty extensive list of tiaras thru the years and their outcomes. Pretty interesting reading.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM
Majesty

I do think the Lotus Flower would be a good option along with that Sapphire Bandeau (assuming the stone is agreeable to the parties involved). The Strathmore rose of course if it's wearable and worn correctly.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2017, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sure the Duchess of Cornwall hasn't worn the Teck Circle [in Public] either as a tiara or necklace.
Since the death of Princess Margaret it has disappeared from view entirely.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Hmmm ok, I read an article that said she wore it in 2005 in connection with meeting the Norwegians ...but maybe they mis-identified what she wore.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2017, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Since it hasn't been sold at Auction, nor as far as we know, been lent to or been worn by anyone else, there is every likelihood it has returned to the vaults, and therefore MIGHT be a possibility for any future bride of Prince Harry.
It is pleasingly geometric, unfussy and has a modern air to it..
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Camilla wore the Teck Circle in 2005 last I can tell.

The Delhi Dubar is a big piece, not likely to be worn by Meghan at the wedding IMO.

LaRae
Camilla has never worn the Teck Crescent tiara in public. The Queen Diamonds book by Hugh Roberts indicated that the tiara, along with the Greville and the Delhi Durbar tiaras was now with Camilla.

The Teck Circle tiara / necklace is in the possession of the Earl of Snowden.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Camilla wears the Greville tiara so I don't think the Teck Crescent Tiara is still available to her.

Of course arguments can be made as to why some tiaras are more likely to be worn than others.

I agree that there are jewels in the vaults that can be used to create a tiara as was the case with Sophie's wedding tiara, although I am not overly impressed with the tiaras that have been created during Elizabeth II's reign.

It will be interesting to see if and how things change with future monarchs.

ETA:
I am not 100% sure but I don't think that Camilla has worn the Teck Circlet as a necklace and am pretty sure that she has not worn it as a tiara.

Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar Tiara once and now wears the Greville Tiara, so like with the Teck Crescent Tiara I don't think that the Delhi Durbar Tiara is still available to her.

Margaret wore the Poltimore, Persian Turquoise, Lotus, Sapphire Bandeau and Cartier Scroll tiaras. The Poltimore was her personal tiara, a gift from her mother IIRC, and it's a guess, but since Catherine has worn the Cartier Scroll and Lotus tiaras, I suspect that the Sapphire and Turquoise tiaras are back in the royal collection.

I will update my list in the previous post to add the Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara.
I don't necessarily subscribe to your theory. In fact, I don't think the Queen has a formal policy of sorts. When Sophie got married, there had been 2 daughters-in-law who had recently had messy divorces. So the Queen gave her a tiara at her wedding, an as time went on and the marriage seemed more stable, gave her access to more jewels. Sophie has used her wedding tiara after she started using the 5 aqua tiara. Similarly, she has used the convertible aqua tiara / necklace intermittently since 2004 or 2005, whilst also from time to time using her wedding tiara and more recently, the 5 aquamarine tiara.

Margaret used the Poltimore, Papyrus and the Turquoise tiaras for most of her life. When she was quite young, she also used the Halo and the Sapphire bandeau, but she probably did not have access to the other three tiaras at the time.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmmm ok, I read an article that said she wore it in 2005 in connection with meeting the Norwegians ...but maybe they mis-identified what she wore.

LaRae
That was the Delhi Durbar tiara that Camilla wore to the state banquet for the Norweigans. It was the very first tiara outing for Camilla.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Teck Circle tiara / necklace is in the possession of the Earl of Snowden.
Do we know that for sure?

That's one I would love to see come back into regular use. It feels like enough of a "big dog" to me that it it's a shame to see it potentially as far from the center of the royal circle (and thus unlikely to be photographed) as an earl and his wife, even if that earl is the present queen's nephew.

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry