The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

If they do get Meghan a tiara I hope it isn't new. I would love them to purchase one from the auctions where we see some beautiful historic tiaras go up for sale. Or create a new one from one of the necklaces or other pieces in the royal vaults. I often find new ones quite tacky.

I agree, the historic ones are nicer.

I still think Charles, who has reps at all the major auction houses, may gift one to Meghan for her exclusive use.

I read recently that he has been quietly buying up pieces of jewelry that Edward VII gave Alice Keppel (Camilla's ancestress) in order to add them to Camilla's collection (much enlarged over the last 12 years).

It would not surprise me if he finds an exquisite tiara and earmarks it for Meghan.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Majesty

I think with the economy and such HM has loosened the hold of her personal collection. I am not saying we are going to see Catherine wearing the GGB or the kokoshnik or Harry's wife wearing the Vladimir, Catherine but we have already seen her wear three different less significant tiaras and Sophie has also been spotted with other jewels on loan.

When we saw the Halo Scroll we all thought that was going to be Catherine's go-to tiara, however, that has proven an incorrect assumption. So, perhaps we will see Meghan wear the Halo Scroll for her wedding as it the precedent has been set. But, in my dreams, I would love to see her wear the Fringe Tiara for her wedding but I think it is more likely to turn up on Beatrice and Eugenie for their weddings because that seems a perfect tiara for a wedding.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Majesty

I would think Beatrice and Eugenie will wear Sarah's tiara. It's going to go down to them anyway.

I like the Scroll Tiara but I would like to see Meghan wear something different at her wedding, assuming they marry.

LaRae
Old 10-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Unless a Tiara is purchased for her [as one was for the Duchess of York], her Tiara won't be passed down. The BRF now loans its historic tiara's to its female members, and [on their death, or divorce] these heirlooms return to the Royal collection, [specifically to he Monarch], thus avoiding taxation, when the entire collection is inherited by the next occupant of the Throne.

If the Countess of Wessex who married the son of a reigning monarch was not able to borrow one of the more substantial tiaras from the Royal Vaults, why do you think that a divorced woman who is marrying a Royal member who is 5th in line to the throne would have access to these gems? Keep in mind that the Duchess of Cornwall who married the son of the reigning monarch who is second in line to the throne and was also a divorcee wore a hat to her civil ceremony and a dipped feather headpiece to the religious blessing.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
If the Countess of Wessex who married the son of a reigning monarch was not able to borrow one of the more substantial tiaras from the Royal Vaults, why do you think that a divorced woman who is marrying a Royal member who is 5th in line to the throne would have access to these gems? Keep in mind that the Duchess of Cornwall who married the son of the reigning monarch who is second in line to the throne and was also a divorcee wore a hat to her civil ceremony and a dipped feather headpiece to the religious blessing.
Camilla and Charles did not have a huge wedding, and it was a second wedding for both. Her wearing a tiara to the wedding would have looked bizarre to say the least. It was nothing to do with her being a divorcee. If she wanted to wear a tiara she could very well have worn her family one but chose to wear none. And since her wedding she has worn numerous pieces.

Harry is only 5th??? When Edward married he was 7th in line for the throne. He was the third son of the queen. And at the time there was little plan for Sophie or Edward to be working royals. Since that changed, since they became working royals, she has been given access to a family tiara, the five aquamarine tiara.

Harry may be a grandson right now, but he is the second son of the future king. And until George is an adult and taking on full time royal duties, that makes him a very high position as senior royal. He will be performing major royal duties for many decades to come as will his wife.

The royals are also very more conscious about finances and the situation. Buying a brand new tiara when they have entire vaults, would not be a smart choice at this time. Now if they crafted one from say one of the necklaces, or at the very least bought one from auction, the cost would be explainable.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Camilla and Charles did not have a huge wedding, and it was a second wedding for both. Her wearing a tiara to the wedding would have looked bizarre to say the least. It was nothing to do with her being a divorcee. If she wanted to wear a tiara she could very well have worn her family one but chose to wear none. And since her wedding she has worn numerous pieces.

Harry is only 5th??? When Edward married he was 7th in line for the throne. He was the third son of the queen. And at the time there was little plan for Sophie or Edward to be working royals. Since that changed, since they became working royals, she has been given access to a family tiara, the five aquamarine tiara.

Harry may be a grandson right now, but he is the second son of the future king. And until George is an adult and taking on full time royal duties, that makes him a very high position as senior royal. He will be performing major royal duties for many decades to come as will his wife.

The royals are also very more conscious about finances and the situation. Buying a brand new tiara when they have entire vaults, would not be a smart choice at this time. Now if they crafted one from say one of the necklaces, or at the very least bought one from auction, the cost would be explainable.

Despite all of that, I doubt we will be seeing Ms Markle in any of HM's iconic tiaras on her potential wedding day. It would be lovely to see something brought out of the vaults.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Majesty

I'm hoping we see one of the tiaras come out of the vault that haven't been seen for ages. Who knows what all is in there!

LaRae
Old 10-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
Despite all of that, I doubt we will be seeing Ms Markle in any of HM's iconic tiaras on her potential wedding day. It would be lovely to see something brought out of the vaults.
Nobody said one of the queen's 'iconic' tiaras. She doesn't even lend those to Camilla. We are simply talking pieces from the vaults. Certainly no one is suggesting Meghan wear a tiara personally worn by the queen now.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Nobility

Do you think Meghan would wear a tiara walking in, I don’t but probably, walking out. Wondering which tiara. Maybe spencer?
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Do you think Meghan would wear a tiara walking in, I don’t but probably, walking out. Wondering which tiara. Maybe spencer?
When would she put the tiara on? It takes time to place a tiara, pin/secure. Going to leave the guests waiting while she goes off with a hairdresser to place the tiara? If she wears a tiara she will wear it from the start.

And no on the Spencer tiara (actually there are 2). She isn't a Spencer. The Spencer tiaras are worn by the Countess Spencer, or by the daughters of the earl. Meghan is not and wont be either of these. Diana was allowed to continue to wear it after her wedding, but she was always the earl's daughter, even after marriage.

She will be loaned one of the tiaras from the vault, or less likely, have one made like Sophie's was.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She won't wear the Spencer tiara--the current Earl of Spencer (Diana's brother owns it.)
Old 10-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't see a reason why she wouldn't. Unless tiaras go completely out of fashion in the next few months and flowers are the new trend
Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Do you think Meghan would wear a tiara walking in, I don’t but probably, walking out.
Quote:
When would she put the tiara on? It takes time to place a tiara, pin/secure. Going to leave the guests waiting while she goes off with a hairdresser to place the tiara? If she wears a tiara she will wear it from the start.
Although I think it's unlikely for Meghan, Sarah Ferguson did seem to be wearing flowers on her head during her wedding to Andrew. It was discovered after the ceremony that she'd hidden her tiara under the flowers.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I like how Sarah did it. From commoner to princess symbolized. It may be that when Harry marries, his bride will decide not to wear a tiara at all and go with a single flower in her hair. Especially if its know that she's been married before. The symbolism of the veil is kind of unnecessary. Just a thought but anything can happen.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I like how Sarah did it. From commoner to princess symbolized. It may be that when Harry marries, his bride will decide not to wear a tiara at all and go with a single flower in her hair. Especially if its know that she's been married before. The symbolism of the veil is kind of unnecessary. Just a thought but anything can happen.
She could wear a tiara without the veil being put backwards during the ceremony 9or even without the veil itself, although that seems less likely.

The flowr thing seems rather from the 80's. Princess Astrid didn't even wear a tiare, while she was a born princess.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Majesty

Sorry don't see Meghan wearing a flower in her hair. The wedding is a welcome into the family. Its her entrance into the life as a royal. And though they rarely wear them now, tiaras are seen as a symbol of that. I don't see Meghan breaking a very long tradition of brides wearing tiaras, and not wearing one. Perhaps a smaller one, but a tiara yes.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Do you think Meghan would wear a tiara walking in, I don’t but probably, walking out.
She may do what Sarah did - on the way in, the tiara was covered by flowers which were then removed when they signed the registers in the back, out of sight of the congregation. Sarah's tiara was quite difficult to see behind the flowers - on TV at least. It was somewhat easier in still photos after the wedding.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't see Harry marrying anywhere where it would be troublesome for his grandparents to attend. We have to remember too that even though Harry's extended family live pretty centralized to attending a wedding in or around London, with the past experience of royal weddings taking not long after an engagement, most of the working royals have their engagement books filled in six months to a year beforehand sometimes. I think a centralized venue would be practical for everyone and work if they have engagements to do the day before or the day after the wedding. The British "Firm" doesn't cancel things easily. Just one observation.

This is just my guesstimation but when it comes to the overall picture of Harry's wedding, we're not going to see it diverting too much from the basics of what makes up a royal wedding. However, there will be elements to it that make it unique to Harry and his bride. A case in point is that it would be similar to how they used the "Tay Bridge" plans for the Queen Mother's funeral yet adapted it to be personal for Diana, Princess of Wales' funeral.

If things are tried and true and work well, why fix it? Planning a royal wedding in a short amount of time is much, much easier if you have a working model to go by.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
She may do what Sarah did - on the way in, the tiara was covered by flowers which were then removed when they signed the registers in the back, out of sight of the congregation. Sarah's tiara was quite difficult to see behind the flowers - on TV at least. It was somewhat easier in still photos after the wedding.
It was possible because floral wreaths on your head were fashionable in the 80s. Not so much in 2000's. I cant remotely picture a bride wearing a huge wreath like Sarah did, today, and looking remotely fashionable.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Nobility

I agree Countessmeout-no wreath on the head!

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry