The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Actually it requires more members of the Royal Family cause there are many ambassadors and diplomats attending. In the past the Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and other members of the Royal Family had attended.
I think some people may be confused by photos that come out of these events. The most distributed photos only show the people at the head table, which are the generally the Queen, Prince Philip, the guests of honor, and one or two high-ranking royal couples. It's not as easy to see that there are usually additional royals along either side table, as well.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Well per the Court Circular for the recent Diplomatic Receptions, it has been the Queen, DoE plus Charles and Camilla, William and Kate only in 2016, 2015, 2013 and just the Queen, DoE and C&C in 2014 and 2012. So no other royals except for the direct heirs and their spouses have gone to this event in recent times. They might have attended back in the day but they aren't attending in recent times.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Well per the Court Circular for the recent Diplomatic Receptions, it has been the Queen, DoE plus Charles and Camilla, William and Kate only in 2016, 2015, 2013 and just the Queen, DoE and C&C in 2014 and 2012. So no other royals except for the direct heirs and their spouses have gone to this event in recent times. They might have attended back in the day but they aren't attending in recent times.
You're naming a lot of older people.

When time moves on, Harry and his spouse will be included, because it will be slim pickings for Royals who have to host over 1000 guests in a civilized manner.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
You're naming a lot of older people.

When time moves on, Harry and his spouse will be included, because it will be slim pickings for Royals who have to host over 1000 guests in a civilized manner.
Yeah thats true
Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 AM
Majesty

Prince Harry's Potential Engagement Ring for Meghan Markle

All of these rings are beautiful. The aquamarine ring would be an amazing choice.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Prince Harry's Potential Engagement Ring for Meghan Markle

All of these rings are beautiful. The aquamarine ring would be an amazing choice.
The future bride for Harry should get the aquamarine ring. Also it was owned by his mother so thats a bonus as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Whomever he marries I am hoping to see one of Diana's stones (reworked into a new setting) or one of her rings as the engagement ring....or a BRF ring from the past.

Emerald would be nice as would Topaz...but could be another Sapphire too. Then maybe he will go with a diamond...that Windsor ring would be quite nice.

LaRae
Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 AM
Majesty

Strangely enough, it has never been a habit to hand down engagement rings. QEQM was bespoke, QEII's was bespoke (made from stones from Princess Alice's tiara), Princess Margret's was bespoke, Anne's first and second were bespoke, Diana's was chosen from a common Garrard's Collection, not sure about Sarah's, Sophies was bespoke which leaves us Catherine who has her mother-in-law's ring.

The only commonality I can find is that QEQM had a sapphire as did Anne for both hers. I like the second, cabochon cut one the best. So that leaves Harry's pick for an engagement ring wide open, except it will not be an emerald from The Ladies of India Emerald Choker. That belongs to HM and was a gift to Queen Mary.

https://royalexhibitions.files.wordp...0/05/70001.jpg

One point of interest though, QMary had it shortened so there may be the odd spare emerald lying around, but knowing QMary, probably not.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 AM
Majesty

I don't think anyone but the pap writer who came up with the choker story, believed it even if choker belonged to Diana. With the queen it's sometimes unclear if she gifts something or loans something. But dismantling a piece with such history to make a ring would be unthinkable.

I am 98% sure what ever the ring is it Won't be a sapphire. Sapphires are too closely connected to Kate and her ring. Harry will want Meghan to have her own. Emerald would be a good choice, or aquamarine. Diana had some jewelry of her own in both. Leave sapphires to Kate.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Strangely enough, it has never been a habit to hand down engagement rings. QEQM was bespoke, QEII's was bespoke (made from stones from Princess Alice's tiara), Princess Margret's was bespoke, Anne's first and second were bespoke, Diana's was chosen from a common Garrard's Collection, not sure about Sarah's, Sophies was bespoke which leaves us Catherine who has her mother-in-law's ring.
Sarah's ring was also bespoke although to a fairly common design. There was a sketch released showing Andrew's drawing of what he wanted. The stones came from The Queen's private collection.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Majesty

I must say my favorite engagement ring is one passed down, and I don't mean Kate's. I love camillas engagement ring. The queen mum had such beautiful Art Deco jewelry, I'd love any of her pieces. I actually think the Art Deco style would suit Meghan. I wonder if Charles has any other pieces from his grandmother he could share, or rest went to the queen. Even if not a ring. Her and her husband really had a good eye for pieces.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it means more and its more sentimental if there is a suitable piece that can be passed down.

I would imagine there are lots of things stashed away in the vaults we've not seen or haven't been seen for some time...not to mention unset stones.

LaRae
Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think it means more and its more sentimental if there is a suitable piece that can be passed down.

I would imagine there are lots of things stashed away in the vaults we've not seen or haven't been seen for some time...not to mention unset stones.

LaRae
I agree. I used to joke if I ever got engaged I would be a cheap fiance. I got my grandmothers rings when she died. Sapphire floral ring with matching band. I'd rather use them then a new piece without history.

The thing that bothered me with Kate was it seemed so soon. It was a world known symbol of a disasterous marriage. I'd have thought to leave it a generation for say George to use for a wife. But if Kate is happy with the piece, glad for them both.

Maybe it's a bit of the old superstition for me that giving a ring from a broken marriage can be bad luck. Luckily I am not that superstitious.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I fully expected either William or Harry's wife to get the 'Ring' ...it's as they said, a way of including her since she couldn't be there. Considering the relationship between William and his mother if I was Kate I would consider it an honor to be able to wear it.

Myself I wear a family ring that's over 100 years old. I doubt it's super valuable but it's very pretty and has 3 decent sized diamonds in it.

I must say I really do like the Tradition the BRF has of having a nice engagement ring then a very thin gold band instead of the 'sets' that have been so common here.

LaRae
Old 06-17-2017, 10:14 PM
Majesty

My grandmothers is a set. The wedding band only has a small row of stones but it has what looks like an odd feather at end. It's when you put them together you realize it's a leaf, as it wraps around the flower on the engagement.

I have no idea how old. My grandparents had very simple bands to begin with. They married in 1944 after my grandfather got discharged due to injury and recouped in London hospital. He bought the set some years later when he could.

I love how close the boys were yo their mom. And it's great to see Kate wear her pieces. Nice connection to mother in law she never knew. Just choosing a ring from a marriage that ended in the war if the Wales, seems odd choice.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess I don't see it as odd...the ring had nothing to do with problems in their marriage and Diana wore it most of her life...she must of thought a lot of it to do so and I figure William (and Harry) knew that....plus the marriage wasn't all bad.

LaRae
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Time to wander back on topic?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The topic is Tiara AND jewels for Harry's future wife...how is discussing jewelry not on topic?

LaRae
Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Majesty

I think there will either be a new tiara for Harry's wife, or the Strathmore Rose.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

She'll have access to a number of them owned by the BRF.

LaRae

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry