The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I suppose they assume that any engagement ring Harry gives to a future wife would come from jewels belonging to Diana, considering her actual engagement was re-used. The idea makes sense, but whether that is actually what would happen is another matter.
Well, they claimed to have spoken to the jeweler making the ring from the tiara. It almost seems plausible, but I don't think it's entirely true.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It's green. The headband in question is her emerald one.
https://www.atlantadiamond.com/2773/...hokerheadband/

That choker was also not personally owned by Diana, but is part of the Queen's collection and was on loan. I have a hard time believing they'd break up a piece of historic jewelry like that when there's no need to.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

There is no direct quote from the jeweler. The identity of the crown jeweler is a known thing. The article claims that Harry has asked Charles for permission to use the jewels, but the jewels are the Queen's. Harry is also not a penniless former Prince of Greece and Denmark who used diamonds from his mother's tiara for an engagement ring.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm trying hard to figure out just what article of jewelry Diana actually owned that could possibly be broken up to provide a stone for Harry. I don't follow jewelry all that much so its perplexing to me.

I do seriously doubt that anyone that would have been trusted to take on a project such as making a ring for Harry would definitely not talk to anyone about it or even hint that this is in the works. My take on it is that now that Harry's been out in public (at a wedding no less) with Meghan, tabloids are jumping the gun thinking Harry caught wedding fever and that an engagement is imminent. The only thing they have really to go by is that William proposed with Diana's engagement ring and Harry would do no less.

I'm not holding my breath on any of these "supposed" rumors until its actually made fact by credible sources.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Majesty

The choker was said to be gifted to Diana by the queen. So the ownership is questionable. Certainly wouldn't be the first time a new piece was made from old. The choker itself was made by jewels from another set.

If he wants a piece with history there are likely other rings in the vaults his grandmother may allow him to use. But besides Kate and Camilla, new rings are more common.

I have little doubt Harry's wife will wear some of Diana's jewels but stands to be seen if her engagement ring is.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The choker was a loaner from the Queen. It was returned to the Queen after Diana's death. It's even been on display at BP afterwards.

http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com...hoker.html?m=1
Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It's green. The headband in question is her emerald one.
https://www.atlantadiamond.com/2773/...hokerheadband/

Ah my bad! Thought it was blue!

LaRae
Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The choker was a loaner from the Queen. It was returned to the Queen after Diana's death. It's even been on display at BP afterwards.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Art Deco Emerald Choker

Okay well that story can be put to bed then...not likely they are gonna do anything to this.

LaRae
Old 03-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There is no direct quote from the jeweler. The identity of the crown jeweler is a known thing. The article claims that Harry has asked Charles for permission to use the jewels, but the jewels are the Queen's. Harry is also not a penniless former Prince of Greece and Denmark who used diamonds from his mother's tiara for an engagement ring.

Prince Phillip aside, I think it's quite romantic and charming when men use family pieces for their fiancee's and/or new wives.

I think it would be neat if Harry does use a family piece (from whomever in the family doesn't have to be his mother's) for his future wife.

LaRae
Old 03-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

No, the choker wasn't Diana's. It was on loan to her from Her Majesty. The article was pretty much made up.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not to mention...not likely he's gonna give his fiancee a blue stone and put her in the position of having that whole circus go on. Oh look Kate's sapphire is bigger than Meghans blah blah ...

LaRae
Unfortunately regardless of when Harry gets engage and to whom, comparasions will be made between the two ladies engagement rings.
When Charles and Andrew became engaged clusters rings were all the rage and 'blah blah' was the name of the game.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eM2xA7gx0v...400/_Diana.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cNq4FIFOBo...400/_Sarah.jpg
Old 03-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Courtier

I'm no jewelry expert - but the emeralds in the choker appear to be cabochons and most engagement rings feature faceted stones. Emeralds would be lovely, though I doubt any official Royal stones would be used as they will pass out of the core family and down Harry's line & ultimately might end up sold as has happened w/ some of the ancillary branches of the family.
Charles enjoys gifting jewelry, so it's possible Diana had some pieces he gave her that now belong to William and/or Harry.
To summarize QEII male sons/grandsons engagement ring choices:
Diana's sapphire ring was a new purchase.
Catherine's engagement ring was Diana's sapphire ring.
Sarah's ruby ring was a new purchase. (Margaret's ring was a ruby too.)
Sophie's diamond ring was a new purchase.
Autumns diamond ring was a new purchase.
Charles gifted Camilla w/ one of the Queen Mum's diamond rings.
All that said, it's a bit early to be speculating about which stone a future ring might contain - but I can't wait to start wedding tiara speculation when the time comes for Harry's future bride & his cousins the York's.
Guess I'll see myself out & head over to the Royal jewelry threads to get my fix
Old 03-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Unfortunately regardless of when Harry gets engage and to whom, comparasions will be made between the two ladies engagement rings.
When Charles and Andrew became engaged clusters rings were all the rage and 'blah blah' was the name of the game.

Oh too right...people are so annoying.

LaRae
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I'm no jewelry expert - but the emeralds in the choker appear to be cabochons and most engagement rings feature faceted stones. Emeralds would be lovely, though I doubt any official Royal stones would be used as they will pass out of the core family and down Harry's line & ultimately might end up sold as has happened w/ some of the ancillary branches of the family.
Charles enjoys gifting jewelry, so it's possible Diana had some pieces he gave her that now belong to William and/or Harry.
To summarize QEII male sons/grandsons engagement ring choices:
Diana's sapphire ring was a new purchase.
Catherine's engagement ring was Diana's sapphire ring.
Sarah's ruby ring was a new purchase. (Margaret's ring was a ruby too.)
Sophie's diamond ring was a new purchase.
Autumns diamond ring was a new purchase.
Charles gifted Camilla w/ one of the Queen Mum's diamond rings.
All that said, it's a bit early to be speculating about which stone a future ring might contain - but I can't wait to start wedding tiara speculation when the time comes for Harry's future bride & his cousins the York's.
Guess I'll see myself out & head over to the Royal jewelry threads to get my fix

Love Camilla's ring...I'd take that kind of 'hand me down' ring any day!

I am glad Diana's ring was used. It's quite pretty and the sentimental value for her boys must be high...can't imagine one of them not using it.

I can only imagine the rings in the royal vaults that haven't seen the light of day in years....would be neat to see one of those used.

I love going over to the jewelry threads...tons of pretty things to look at!

LaRae
Old 03-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I will patiently wait for an announcement. But I do wish them both the best whether they marry each other or not.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not to mention...not likely he's gonna give his fiancee a blue stone and put her in the position of having that whole circus go on. Oh look Kate's sapphire is bigger than Meghans blah blah ...

LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Mark gave Anne an engagement ring with a Sapphire center stone, and that didn't stop Charles and Diana from 'copying' by picking a sapphire ring. Did the media harp on that in 1981, like the fuss they made over Andrew choosing a cluster?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Totally different atmosphere today than 1981. Everything is very different. The media has much more info nowdays and of course they are really good and making things up.

LaRae
Old 03-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Nobility

Diana also owned a beautiful large aquamarine ring and an emerald and diamond ring that she occasionally wore instead of her engagement ring both before and after her divorce. Diana's Rings The aquamarine ring is stunning, if a big large for everyday wear.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Diana also owned a beautiful large aquamarine ring and an emerald and diamond ring that she occasionally wore instead of her engagement ring both before and after her divorce. Diana's Rings The aquamarine ring is stunning, if a big large for everyday wear.

I was looking at those earlier today. I'm sure there are a ton of rings in the Royal collection we don't know about too, if Harry wants to go the heirloom route.

My feeling is he will probably have something new created but we'll see
Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

That aquamarine ring is stunning. The boys got all her personal jewelry (wonder who has the eternity band) so it would be possible to see Harry use the aquamarine ring...can't imagine a girl not liking that!

LaRae

Tags
jewellery, kate middleton, prince harry, prince william, tiaras, wife, william and harry