Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's Future Wife

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm whomever he marries, surely they have enough tiaras laying around for her to use?

LaRae
Of course they have enough tiaras, but any tiara given to Harry's wife will end up leaving the main line. To keep the collection in tact, it is expected (as in the case of Prince Andrew ) a new tiara and parure will be acquired.

ANY tiara from the Royal collection that Ms Markle has use of, must and will be a loan. No-one would want to see it leave the Royal collection either through descent or [God forbid] through Divorce..
I think a purchased one would be best, as there are fine ones available on the London market.
If one is loaned from the Royal collection, I would rather see Sophie's Aquamarines go to Ms Markle, and Sophie 'upgraded' to the Cartier Sapphire Bandeau. Sophie has 'proved her worth', whereas Ms Markle is [for the moment[ an entirely 'unknown quantity' [in Royal terms].

I think a lifetime loan of a tiara already in the main line would be the way to go for Meghan. The Teck Crescent would be good as its not associated with anyone recently. It is a full circlet, though, which might pose a challenge.

Now, here's a thought -- Prince Charles has always liked commissioning new pieces of jewelry for Camilla, and I can see Harry wanting to do something special like that for Meghan. Converting an existing bracelet would work nicely for a smallish easy-to-wear tiara or hair ornament.

The Queen has some lovely diamond ears-of-wheat elements that were QV's which would make a perfect tiara for an American bride. This ears-of-wheat thing gets my vote.

If I was Meghan, I wouldn't want a store-bought tiara. It's too ... shades of Fergie, and the low expectations that brings.

Although I very much like the wheat ears idea, I don't think it would happen as Queen Victoria, herself, designated them as heirlooms of the Crown and have been passed down from queen to queen and I don't think they'd ever be made available to be fashioned into anything besides what they are right now.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Victoria's Wheat-Ear Brooches

I don't see Meghan as being the type of person to want anything ostentatious and large and if its to be a "signature" tiara for her (on loan of course), maybe the way to go would be to get the Strathmore Rose tiara up to snuff for Meghan's use. This tiara was also a prime candidate for the wedding tiara for Kate when she married William. I really like this one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Str...=oSYdWeTgEoXYmwHct5rACg#imgrc=E5IEJ0B0bhI40M:

I have always liked the Strathmore Rose. Alright, let's go with that. Worn high, not across the forehead. A perfect bridal tiara. The Double Meander and the Teck are sort of clunky for a bride.

Okay, now for her second tiara she'll get on the eve of her first Diplomatic Reception:

The Queen's City of London diamond fringe necklace converted into a tiara! A traditional fringe would suit Meghan perfectly.

What about Queen Victoria's Sapphire Coronet? Is it still in the BRF?

LaRae

What about Queen Victoria's Sapphire Coronet? Is it still in the BRF?

LaRae

No, the coronet went from the main line to the Earls of Harewood. So it is no longer in the royal collection. And besides this: after the death of George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (in 2011) the coronet -almost likely- has been sold.

Last edited:
I have always liked the Strathmore Rose. Alright, let's go with that. Worn high, not across the forehead. A perfect bridal tiara. The Double Meander and the Teck are sort of clunky for a bride.

Okay, now for her second tiara she'll get on the eve of her first Diplomatic Reception:

The Queen's City of London diamond fringe necklace converted into a tiara! A traditional fringe would suit Meghan perfectly.

The Diplomatic Reception has only a few royals attending. It's not like a garden party or a state dinner with a much larger royal party. It's basically the monarch and heir and their spouses. So Harry and his wife may never attend the Diplomatic Reception.

No, the coronet went from the main line to the Earls of Harewood. So it is no longer in the royal collection. And besides this: after the death of George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood (in 2011) the coronet -almost likely- has been sold.

Too bad...gorgeous piece.

LaRae

The Diplomatic Reception has only a few royals attending. It's not like a garden party or a state dinner with a much larger royal party. It's basically the monarch and heir and their spouses. So Harry and his wife may never attend the Diplomatic Reception.

Actually it requires more members of the Royal Family cause there are many ambassadors and diplomats attending. In the past the Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and other members of the Royal Family had attended.

Actually it requires more members of the Royal Family cause there are many ambassadors and diplomats attending. In the past the Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and other members of the Royal Family had attended.

I think some people may be confused by photos that come out of these events. The most distributed photos only show the people at the head table, which are the generally the Queen, Prince Philip, the guests of honor, and one or two high-ranking royal couples. It's not as easy to see that there are usually additional royals along either side table, as well.

Well per the Court Circular for the recent Diplomatic Receptions, it has been the Queen, DoE plus Charles and Camilla, William and Kate only in 2016, 2015, 2013 and just the Queen, DoE and C&C in 2014 and 2012. So no other royals except for the direct heirs and their spouses have gone to this event in recent times. They might have attended back in the day but they aren't attending in recent times.

Well per the Court Circular for the recent Diplomatic Receptions, it has been the Queen, DoE plus Charles and Camilla, William and Kate only in 2016, 2015, 2013 and just the Queen, DoE and C&C in 2014 and 2012. So no other royals except for the direct heirs and their spouses have gone to this event in recent times. They might have attended back in the day but they aren't attending in recent times.

You're naming a lot of older people.

When time moves on, Harry and his spouse will be included, because it will be slim pickings for Royals who have to host over 1000 guests in a civilized manner.

You're naming a lot of older people.

When time moves on, Harry and his spouse will be included, because it will be slim pickings for Royals who have to host over 1000 guests in a civilized manner.

Yeah thats true

Whomever he marries I am hoping to see one of Diana's stones (reworked into a new setting) or one of her rings as the engagement ring....or a BRF ring from the past.

Emerald would be nice as would Topaz...but could be another Sapphire too. Then maybe he will go with a diamond...that Windsor ring would be quite nice.

LaRae

Last edited:
:previous: Strangely enough, it has never been a habit to hand down engagement rings. QEQM was bespoke, QEII's was bespoke (made from stones from Princess Alice's tiara), Princess Margret's was bespoke, Anne's first and second were bespoke, Diana's was chosen from a common Garrard's Collection, not sure about Sarah's, Sophies was bespoke which leaves us Catherine who has her mother-in-law's ring.

The only commonality I can find is that QEQM had a sapphire as did Anne for both hers. I like the second, cabochon cut one the best. So that leaves Harry's pick for an engagement ring wide open, except it will not be an emerald from The Ladies of India Emerald Choker. That belongs to HM and was a gift to Queen Mary.

https://royalexhibitions.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/70001.jpg

One point of interest though, QMary had it shortened so there may be the odd spare emerald lying around, but knowing QMary, probably not.

I don't think anyone but the pap writer who came up with the choker story, believed it even if choker belonged to Diana. With the queen it's sometimes unclear if she gifts something or loans something. But dismantling a piece with such history to make a ring would be unthinkable.

I am 98% sure what ever the ring is it Won't be a sapphire. Sapphires are too closely connected to Kate and her ring. Harry will want Meghan to have her own. Emerald would be a good choice, or aquamarine. Diana had some jewelry of her own in both. Leave sapphires to Kate.

:previous: Strangely enough, it has never been a habit to hand down engagement rings. QEQM was bespoke, QEII's was bespoke (made from stones from Princess Alice's tiara), Princess Margret's was bespoke, Anne's first and second were bespoke, Diana's was chosen from a common Garrard's Collection, not sure about Sarah's, Sophies was bespoke which leaves us Catherine who has her mother-in-law's ring.
Sarah's ring was also bespoke although to a fairly common design. There was a sketch released showing Andrew's drawing of what he wanted. The stones came from The Queen's private collection.

I must say my favorite engagement ring is one passed down, and I don't mean Kate's. I love camillas engagement ring. The queen mum had such beautiful Art Deco jewelry, I'd love any of her pieces. I actually think the Art Deco style would suit Meghan. I wonder if Charles has any other pieces from his grandmother he could share, or rest went to the queen. Even if not a ring. Her and her husband really had a good eye for pieces.

I think it means more and its more sentimental if there is a suitable piece that can be passed down.

I would imagine there are lots of things stashed away in the vaults we've not seen or haven't been seen for some time...not to mention unset stones.

LaRae

I think it means more and its more sentimental if there is a suitable piece that can be passed down.

I would imagine there are lots of things stashed away in the vaults we've not seen or haven't been seen for some time...not to mention unset stones.

LaRae

I agree. I used to joke if I ever got engaged I would be a cheap fiance. I got my grandmothers rings when she died. Sapphire floral ring with matching band. I'd rather use them then a new piece without history.

The thing that bothered me with Kate was it seemed so soon. It was a world known symbol of a disasterous marriage. I'd have thought to leave it a generation for say George to use for a wife. But if Kate is happy with the piece, glad for them both.

Maybe it's a bit of the old superstition for me that giving a ring from a broken marriage can be bad luck. Luckily I am not that superstitious.

I fully expected either William or Harry's wife to get the 'Ring' ...it's as they said, a way of including her since she couldn't be there. Considering the relationship between William and his mother if I was Kate I would consider it an honor to be able to wear it.

Myself I wear a family ring that's over 100 years old. I doubt it's super valuable but it's very pretty and has 3 decent sized diamonds in it.

I must say I really do like the Tradition the BRF has of having a nice engagement ring then a very thin gold band instead of the 'sets' that have been so common here.

LaRae

My grandmothers is a set. The wedding band only has a small row of stones but it has what looks like an odd feather at end. It's when you put them together you realize it's a leaf, as it wraps around the flower on the engagement.

I have no idea how old. My grandparents had very simple bands to begin with. They married in 1944 after my grandfather got discharged due to injury and recouped in London hospital. He bought the set some years later when he could.

I love how close the boys were yo their mom. And it's great to see Kate wear her pieces. Nice connection to mother in law she never knew. Just choosing a ring from a marriage that ended in the war if the Wales, seems odd choice.

I guess I don't see it as odd...the ring had nothing to do with problems in their marriage and Diana wore it most of her life...she must of thought a lot of it to do so and I figure William (and Harry) knew that....plus the marriage wasn't all bad.

LaRae

The topic is Tiara AND jewels for Harry's future wife...how is discussing jewelry not on topic?

LaRae

I think there will either be a new tiara for Harry's wife, or the Strathmore Rose.

She'll have access to a number of them owned by the BRF.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom