Tiaras and Jewels Camilla might use as Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
Not wanting to jump the gun, but I thought it would be useful to hear everybody's thoughts on the tiaras and jewels Camilla would most likely use at Queen / Princess Consort. Clearly there would be quite a lot of thought to not use items that should be put aside for William's wife to use in time as queen, and all the other considerations. Here is my initial list of jewels that I would most like to see being used by Camilla:

1) Boucheron honeycomb tiara would continue to be used
2) Grand Duchess Vladimir - especially with with the Cambridge emeralds! (do we know of any other substantial tiaras lurking around with emeralds?)
3) Oriental Circlet ruby tiara if she is known as Queen. Else, perhaps a slightly reworked version of the Queen's burmese ruby tiara.
4) Sapphire tiara - I suspect the sapphire tiara currently used by the Queen might be reworked
5) Sapphire necklace used by the Queen (with the big sapphires, and the large diamond loops, recently used in a portrait for Canada) of middle eastern provenance
6) Perhaps the Aquamarine parure might be reworked
7) Queen Mary's stomacher
8) A few of the collet necklaces!

i wonder who will use the Girls of Great Britain tiara - will it be left for William's wife
it could be hard for anyone to wear it after all it is the tiara the Queen wears most often

My sense is that it might "rest" for a while, andin time William's wife may use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Girls of Great Britain has indeed been the signature piece of Her Majesty, but Queen Mary intended it to be used by all future Queens and Queen Consorts so while it may rest a while, I do believe we will see it on Camilla's elegantly coiffed hair at some point (it is lightweight, after all--that's a rare thing in a tiara).
I think that we will certainly see the Emeralds on Camilla (with those emerald drop earrings she wears----I can hardly wait for such an eye feast) and we cannot forget the Delhi Durbar tiara. That is a very impressive tiara and Camilla wears it well.
I personally am hoping to see the Kent Amethyst Parue emerge on Camilla. She seems to like the stone, and the pieces are woefully unused by the Queen.

She's already worn the Delhi Durbar tiara. I wonder if she might continue to wear it rather than the George IV diadem for the Opening of Parliament, since the George IV diadem is now so closely associated with a reigning monarch.

Perhaps Camilly can change the Girl of GB tiara if she puts the pearl-spikes on it. Then it would be different then the version the present Quuen wears.
I think she will also wear

- the russing fringe/kokoshnik tiara
- the Delhi Durbar tiara for special Events like State Visits from other Royal Couples
- the fringe tiara the Queen and Princess Anne wore on their Wedding Days

and many more who are resting in the Vaults and have not seen the light since decades.

I love that she wore the Durbar for her first tiara event, but I would like to see it again. It rapidly appears that the Honeycomb is becoming her signature piece--but I would like to see something else on her.
She would look fantastic in Queen Alexandra's kokoshnik.
One thing I do wonder about it what crown she will wear if she is crowned consort alongside Charles. I think that Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's is the only one that still has the jewels in it.

I personally am hoping to see the Kent Amethyst Parue emerge on Camilla. She seems to like the stone, and the pieces are woefully unused by the Queen.

I'd love to see Camilla in Kent Amethyst Parure, it would look lovely on her!

I love that she wore the Durbar for her first tiara event, but I would like to see it again. It rapidly appears that the Honeycomb is becoming her signature piece--but I would like to see something else on her.
One thing I do wonder about it what crown she will wear if she is crowned consort alongside Charles. I think that Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's is the only one that still has the jewels in it.

Perhaps the could use the one of Queen mary if the make diamonds in it like the did in 1936/37.
I would love it if the Queen wears the Delhi Durbar tiara for special occasions like Queen Silvia used the Braganca tiara for special occasions.
I think a fringe tiara would look great on Camilla.

Camilla looked lovely in the Delhi Durbar tiara, and I too would love to see her use it more. I suspect the reason it is not used much is the sensitivity around its original use, i.e. when Queen Mary was "crowned" as Empress of India. Many people from the subcontinent really do not look back at the colonial times with pride, and therefore, do may not appreciate of being reminded of their subjugation by colonial Britain. The commonly held belief amongst a lot of Indian people is that the british ruthlessly and systematically robbed the country of a number of jewels and important histoical artefacts. People of sub-continental origin now form a sizeable population in the UK, and occupy an important places in british society. The last time the Delhi Durbar was used (prior to the one time Camilla has used it in 2005) was in 1947, the year of India's independence.

This is also the reason that I think Camilla may not be crowned with the Queen Mothers crown. This crown contains the Kohinoor diamond, which again a large number of Indians believe was wrongfully taken from the Indian ruler of Punjab, against his will. There is a legitimate concern that a strong and resurgent India could well start to ask for a lot of these jewels back, sparking a diplomatic row. So from the perspective of the BRF, it may be sensible to leave these jewels as "historical pieces". I am sure another crown could be found for Camilla somewhere in the vaults.

I think that we will certainly see the Emeralds on Camilla (with those emerald drop earrings she wears----I can hardly wait for such an eye feast)

Fully agree with you. The emerald earrings and the Grand Duchess Vladamir tiara with the emerald drops would look lovely on Camilla. Maybe by then she will have her own interpretation of QE2s "white wardrobe" to offset the lovely emeralds.

I would also love to see Camilla wear Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond set that the Queen Mother wore so often - she would look lovely in it. Was this one of the pieces designated for future use by Queens / Queen consorts only?

I seriously doubt we will see Camilla in the Girls of Great Britain tiara. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and I think she would realize that it would be wise to avoid wearing a piece that was so closely associated with her mother-in-law. Plus it would not look good with her hair. Of course this is all speculation on our part since we don't know how QEII has divided up her jewels in her will. Perhaps she would be smart and create a "Windsor Jewel Trust" (a la the Dutch) so we don't have to worry about the GGB tiara ending up at auction in 50 years. Or she might decide to leave it to the crown as Victoria did some of her more important jewels.

I seriously doubt we would ever see her in the George IV diadem also. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen a picture of a consort wearing it. I always thought it was reserved for the monarch, but it is early in the morning and my brain is still a little foggy.

It would not surprise me that when Charles comes to the throne if we see Camilla in some old pieces dusted off from the vault. I think both are sensitive to history and they might dig up something old for her to wear and make her own. Because of how Camilla's hair is styled, she will need a tiara that has a lot of height to it. I think the Kokolshnik (however you spell it) would look great on her, but again since it's a well-recognized QEII piece, she may opt not to wear it or it may not end up with her.

Given that an monarch to monarch transfers are tax free and all others attract inheritance tax beyond a relatively low amount, I think the Queen will leave pretty much all her personal jewellery to Charles to avoid taxes. This will clearly result in Camilla being able to choose from most of the jewels.

The Queen has always been aware that any jewels passed onto the junior membes of the royal family may end up being sold in time. This was probably one of the reasons that Sophie and Sarah did not receive jewels of high historical value, and were given new tiaras (I know Sophie's wedding tiara was modified from an old one, and the acquamarine one is new). As a result of these two reasons, I cannot see the jewels being distributed widely, like Queen Mary did.

The George IV. Diadem was often worn by Queens Alexandra and Mary for the State Openings of Parliament and official photos. The Queennmother apparently didn't wear it at last there are no known ophotos of her wearing it.

Just a few more tiaras I'd love to see on Camilla.

1) We'll hardly get the chance, but I'd love to see Camilla in turqouise and diamond tiara. It looked wonderful on Princess Alice in that photograph by Cecil Beaton. But I think it would look equally lovely on Camilla.

2) The Oriental Circlet. I don't think there is any chance to re-design it with opals, but even with rubies, it would be just perfect. And of course, it is hugely important tiara in historical perspective.

3) The Pakenham tiara. Does anyone know whatever happened to it? That has to be one of my favourite ones. A beautiful and simple piece.

4) Lady Mountbatten tiara. I was almost heart-broken when it was sold. That was trully a magnificent tiara!

5) Like everyone, I'm voting for "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara. Lovely, lovely piece!

6) The Poltimore Tiara. Another heartbreak when this was auctioned at the Christies.

7) The Kokoshnik Tiara. I'm so glad the Queen wears this tiara quite often. hopefully, Camilla will either.

8) Grand Duchess Vladimir's Emerald/Pearl Tiara. Personally I like it better with pearls but I believe emeralds would suit Camilla better.

I completely agree about seeing Camilla in a turquoise tiara--she already has some lovely turquoise pieces so we know she enjoys the stone. I would have loved to see her in Princess Margaret's turquoise tiara, necklace, the whole parue.
I also would like to the Rundell tiara of Queen Alexandra's reappear on Camilla's head. It has been too long hidden away.

I may be wrong, but I think Queen Mary's crown still does. That crown was also made to hold the Koh-i-Noor, so they'd just have to transfer it. I assume she'd wear one of the older crowns rather than have a new one made like the other Queens Consort.

I completely agree about seeing Camilla in a turquoise tiara--she already has some lovely turquoise pieces so we know she enjoys the stone. I would have loved to see her in Princess Margaret's turquoise tiara, necklace, the whole parue.
I also would like to the Rundell tiara of Queen Alexandra's reappear on Camilla's head. It has been too long hidden away.

I'd love to see that one reappear too, although it doesn't have any tradition of being worn by the consort as far as I know. The only photos I've seen have been ones where Alexandra was still Princess of Wales. It's a rather heavy-looking piece for a youngster like Kate, but I was hoping we might see it on Camilla during the present reign.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I think Queen Mary's crown still does. That crown was also made to hold the Koh-i-Noor, so they'd just have to transfer it. I assume she'd wear one of the older crowns rather than have a new one made like the other Queens Consort.

Yes Queen Mary's Crown is on display at the Tower. In 1936/37 when the Crown for the Qeenmother was made Cristalls where made to replace the Diamond like the Kohinoor in the Crown.
I actually prefer this to the one of the Queenmother.

Yes Queen Mary's Crown is on display at the Tower. In 1936/37 when the Crown for the Qeenmother was made Cristalls where made to replace the Diamond like the Kohinoor in the Crown.
I actually prefer this to the one of the Queenmother.

So it may well be the Queen Mothers crown or Queen Mary's that Camilla ends up wearing.

The Rundell tiara is amazing - and it would look lovely on Camilla. Lovely as it is, I think that if she wanted to add another tiara with just diamonds to the ones she uses, she may go for the Kokoshnik - leaving the Rundell perhaps for Williams wife to use as the Princess of Wales. The Kokoshnik is just in a different league, and we have seen enough evidence of Camilla's ability to carry off big jewels with panache.

I would like to see her wear something with some colored stones--of course, the Vladimir with emeralds is my first choice--but there is an interesting sapphire tiara that belonged to Marie Feodorovna, I believe, which Queen Mary acquired. That would be lovely on Camilla.
Some other items I'd like to see, although not tiaras, would be the King George VI sapphires--they are really too beautiful to put away. The one thing I don't want to see reappear is the Brazillian aquarmarine suite--some things should be hid away

I fully agree the Vladamir with the emeralds is a lovely tiara and Camilla will do it justice.

The Queen selectively added to her jewellery, and the two main new tiaras she got (the Burmese ruby and the George VI sapphire, ignoring the Brazilian acquamarines for now), were acquired in the 1960s and 1970s, i.e. about 10 years apart. In these even more restrained times, I think Camilla will not get many opportunities to redo too much of the jewellery she inherits / acquire too much; I almost think she is only going to get to redo / acquire one major tiara / parure in the time that C&C are reigning.

If that theory holds, then I think the King George VI sapphire tiara would get my vote for the one that should be reworked. The sapphires in the tiara themselves are lovely, but I think the tiara just needs a lot more diamonds with a view to making it a more substantial tiara all around, not just at the mid-point on the front! In its current form, the tiara has a lot of large diamonds - if it were reworked to include a combination of larger and smaller stones, I am sure a lovely tiara could be designed. I am talking of the resulting tiara being of the size and scale of the Rundell / Girls of Great Britain, or maybe even larger - given the size of the sapphires, they could do justice to a larger tiara. We may even get lucky and find Camilla has it redesigned to end up something like the sapphire tiara that Queen Silvia from Sweden has.

A picture, courtesy of our Beloved Warren and his ever impressive collection of photographs: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=438124&postcount=106

I have never particularly loved this tiara (nor the Burmese for that matter), but I am awed by the clarity and quality of the sapphires. They are such an incredible shade of blue--
But, let's discuss the problem with this tiara--the design. It's too open on either side of the central stone. It looks incomplete, to me. I do agree that a reworking that results ina tiara similiar to that of the Swedish Sapphire tiara would be stunning. I had originally thought that a setting similar to the Amethyst Tiara of the Swedish Royals would be attractive with the necklace of King George Sapphires, but I dont' think that the shape of the stones in QEII's sapphire tiara would work well at all for that type of setting. Pity-I love the style of that amethyst tiara.
Here's a link to some photos of the Swedish Jewels:
Swedish Jewels

I think we are both agreed on the problem with the tiara - it seems incomplete in its current form.

A few options come to mind:

1) I would love to see the BRF with a tiara similar to the Swedish amethyst tiara - I think your idea could work. The George VI sapphires being much smaller than the amethysts, they would need quite substantial embellishments, perhaps at the base. Maybe something similar to the lozenge base of the Girls of Great Britain (that the Queen fond after the death of Queen Mary) could be used - they might need to add a few of those at the bottom to give the tiara height. That said, I am loath to plunder the George VI necklace, as I think it looks lovely as it is.

2) Lets stick with the style of the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara of Queen Sylvia. I would suggest removing the sapphires from the top of the tiara (the resultant tiara would be of broadly uniform height all around, only in diamonds), and place the sapphires from the Geoge VI tiara about half way down the height of the resultant diamond tiara - this design would allow the different sized sapphires currently in the George VI tiara to get used, and any additional ones required to embellish it would not necessarily have to be of the same size. I hope you get an idea of where I am trying to get to - am not sure if have been able to explain myself well here!

3) Another alternative would be to convert the sapphire and diamond necklace with loops that HM has (I think a gift from the rulers of one of the middle eastern countries -see webink below) into a taira. This too would be lovely. Sorry I cant find a close picture of the necklace

http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/Gallery/Insight_nov05_gallery_dip1_large.jpg

Try this link Te queen in the Vladamir Tiare and the Dubai sapphire necklace: here

Try this link Te queen in the Vladamir Tiare and the Dubai sapphire necklace: here

Thanks, thats a great picture of the necklace. It was taken recently for the Canadians.

I was thinking about this today... if Camilla isn't actually crowned as the queen consort, do you think that would limit what she will wear? My guess is that it might have some effect at the coronation but I'm not sure what effect her role as "princess consort" would have on the use of jewels usually worn by the queen consort. (I don't know why this popped into my head, instead of some other "important" question.)

I do not think it will have any effect. This whole "princess consort" thing seems to me as a hypocratic attempt to diminish Camilla's rang because of the fact that she is a former divorcee and mistress to Charles. I think her jewels as Princess Consort will not differ from a Queen Consort's. Just think of the wonderful jewels she ALREADY wears on certain occasions as The Duchess of Cornwall. Whatever she will be called, she will be wearing breathtaking jewels as Prince/King Charles's wife. Moreover, she has to look extremely "regal" in order to fit in as this new princess in the royal family. That's what I think :)

If Camilla is denied the rank and title of Queen by Parliament, I doubt she will be crowned at the Coronation as a Princess Consort. More likely, she would have a role similar to Prince Philip at The Queen 's coronation, in which he was the first Peer to kneel before the newly-crowned Sovereign and pay homage.

The royal collection of jewels will automatically be inherited by Charles once he is King. Even so, there are many pieces designated by Queen Victoria and Queen Mary as belonging to the Crown to only be worn by a Queen Consort. The present Queen may also designate additional pieces she received as state gifts or from her grandmother as belonging to the Crown to be worn only by a Queen. These pieces would not be worn by Camilla if she is Princess Consort.

Back
Top Bottom