Tiaras and Jewels Camilla might use as Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think she'll wear the Greville emerald that Eugenie wore. I think when she starts wearing the emerald necklaces, she'll pair them with the Boucheron or Delhi Durbar tiaras first & then when she's been queen for a while, she'll start wearing the Vladimir, adding the emerald drops.

This is where what I want to happen might potentially colour my judgement on what might actually happen. I hope Camilla will pull out at least one of the serious emerald necklaces (Greville, Godman, DDurbar), and I would love for her to wear a matching emerald and diamond tiara. You may be in right in that she begins with pairing it with, say the Greville tiara, but I do hope she graduates onto a proper emerald tiara. Given how closely the GDV is associated with QE2, I think the Greville emerald tiara might be the chosen one.

The two tiaras I think she'll avoid are Queen Mary's Fringe & the Girls, which I hope she never wears as it's so associated with the present Queen & I'd prefer it to skip a generation & be kept for Catherine as Queen.

I am hoping that Catherine might use the Queen Mary's Fringe when she is Princess of Wales. It will be a welcome change to the QM Lovers Knot tiara that she usually uses.

I could see her wearing the Brazilian Aquamarine & Burmese Ruby quite early on (if she likes the ruby tiara - I don't) and then after a few years, when people have become accustomed to her role, she might add Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik.

Whilst I would love to see her use the Aquamarine parure, I an conscience that it will be a short reign and I just do not know if she will have enough time as consort to the King to "gradually" bring so many tiara's into rotation.

I also agree that she will never wear the Girls, and if she wanted to do a service to tiara-hood, she could have the modern sapphire tiara re-worked into a more graceful design and get some use out of that.

Agreed on both fronts.

I also don't see the fringe in use unless it is on the head of Beatrice, Eugenie and then Charlotte. Elizabeth received it from a blood princess, QEWM never wore it but Princess Anne did.

I agree about The Girls skipping Camilla and even Catherine if Charles reign is short.

I am hoping that Catherine might use the Queen Mary's Fringe when she is Princess of Wales. It will be a welcome change to the QM Lovers Knot tiara that she usually uses.

Yes agreed. I said on another thread that I'd love to see Catherine wear that one as PoW.

Whilst I would love to see her use the Aquamarine parure, I an conscience that it will be a short reign and I just do not know if she will have enough time as consort to the King to "gradually" bring so many tiara's into rotation.
Well yes you have a fair point there. The occasions for tiaras aren't as numerous as in the past so she mightn't have the chance to wear them all! On the other hand, they might have lots of portrait requests from other countries, charities etc, which could be an opportunity to wear different ones.

I also don't see the fringe in use unless it is on the head of Beatrice, Eugenie and then Charlotte. Elizabeth received it from a blood princess, QEWM never wore it but Princess Anne did.

I may have got my history of the QM Fringe a little muddled, but was the tiara not used by QEQM at all? I thought it had. As I remember it, ownership went from Queen Mary to Queen Elizabeth (QEQM) to QE2, with the only other wearer of the tiara being Princess Anne, who wore it to her first wedding.

So did Elizabeth (QEQM or QE2) actually receive it from a blood princess?

Quite sure Camilla will keep the honeycomb (which probably become her signature piece like QEII with GGBI), may continue keeping/using the Delhi Durbar (but will pass it to Kate at some point?). She will avoid the GGBI and GDV (also agree that Kate will avoid them too, or at least GGBI). Assuming that she will use QA's Kokoshnik (I think it reserved for queens only?) and hoping she will use the Oriental Circlet frequently. Somehow I think she may share QEII's three commissions with Kate (I think Kate may look nice with the sapphire and the ruby), which they will not be strictly "queen's tiara" anymore. I know it is not how the BRF's vault currently works but who knows, maybe she (and Charles) will change the "jewels policy" during their reign.

OT;
Yes I think the Fringe had been used by QEQM too. However I agree with MARG I hope the "tradition" started by QEII, which it was used by blood princesses will be continued. It will be nice too see it on Beatrice then Charlotte, who are the oldest blood princess of their generation.

Also I think some tiaras will be reserved for the lady who wore it in her wedding even if they will not have many chances to wear it, and return it to the main line after their death (mainly Eugenie's emerald tiara and Beatrice's in future).

I think Kate will keep the Lovers Knot in her whole life, and will not pass it to next PoW when she becomes queen (the next PoW will get another piece, maybe the Turquoise if it was returned).

Last edited:
I may have got my history of the QM Fringe a little muddled, but was the tiara not used by QEQM at all? I thought it had. As I remember it, ownership went from Queen Mary to Queen Elizabeth (QEQM) to QE2, with the only other wearer of the tiara being Princess Anne, who wore it to her first wedding.

So did Elizabeth (QEQM or QE2) actually receive it from a blood princess?

Indeed the queen mother did wear the tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara, Revisited

The tiara belonged to the queen mother, not Queen Elizabeth II, until her death. Beyond her wedding, Queen Elizabeth II didn't wear the tiara until after her mother died. Her mother wore it quite often in the early days of her husband's reign, but later it went into the vaults and rarely was seen. It was she, and not her daughter, who loaned it to Anne for her wedding.

There is no tradition of it only being worn by blood princesses. It just happens it has only ever been loaned twice, as a wedding tiara, and only twice. Other then that it has been worn only by the owner (Mary, Queen Mum, Queen, only one of whom was a born british royal).

Last edited:
I hope Queen Camilla will make use of items rarely worn by HMQ, such as the Kent Amethyst demi-parure, if necessary adding Amethysts to an existing Diamond Tiara [the Delhi-durbar, or Queen Mary's Sapphire bandeau.
She looks sensational in Amethysts, and clearly loves them.
Also MORE Turquoises please.. and I hope there is still Margaret's Tiara 'knocking about'..

Best leave or reset the Burmese Tiara, using the Oriental Circlet and fabulous crown Ruby necklace and earrings when red is required, and please [if the wretched Sapphire Tiara isn't reset] utilise Queen Mary's bandeau instead [in its sapphire incarnation].

There will be a need for a Pearl Tiara [given Camilla's great love of pearls].. but I can only think of the Vladimir, I think there is no other in the collection ?

Last edited:
I hope Queen Camilla will make use of items rarely worn by HMQ, such as the Kent Amethyst demi-parure, if necessary adding Amethysts to an existing Diamond Tiara [the Delhi-durbar, or Queen Mary's Sapphire bandeau.
She looks sensational in Amethysts, and clearly loves them.
Also MORE Turquoises please.. and I hope there is still Margaret's Tiara 'knocking about'..

Best leave or reset the Burmese Tiara, using the Oriental Circlet and fabulous crown Ruby necklace and earrings when red is required, and please [if the wretched Sapphire Tiara isn't reset] utilise Queen Mary's bandeau instead [in its sapphire incarnation].

There will be a need for a Pearl Tiara [given Camilla's great love of pearls].. but I can only think of the Vladimir, I think there is no other in the collection ?
Love the idea of the Kent amethysts being put to good use.

Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara was sold at auction by her family after her death in 2002. It realised just over one million pounds & is believed to be sold to a Chinese buyer. It was made by Garrads in 1870.

For this State visit I hope to see the Duchess of Cornwall wear the Delhi Durbar tiara. And either Prince Al Waleed's ruby collier necklace or the three strand Greville diamond necklace.
We haven't seen the rubies for some time and I would love to see them again.

Princess Margaret's Poltimore tiara was sold at auction by her family after her death in 2002. It realised just over one million pounds & is believed to be sold to a Chinese buyer. It was made by Garrads in 1870.

For this State visit I hope to see the Duchess of Cornwall wear the Delhi Durbar tiara. And either Prince Al Waleed's ruby collier necklace or the three strand Greville diamond necklace.
We haven't seen the rubies for some time and I would love to see them again.

When mentioning Margaret's tiara, Wyevale meant the Persian turquoise. No one is quite certain what has happened with the tiara. It wasn't auctioned.

The Persian Turquoise Tiara | The Court Jeweller

Oh excuse me, my mistake. The turquoise tiara was part of a beautiful parure. Either Lord Linley or his sister Lady Sarah Chatto has it. Or maybe they made an arrangement with HM their Aunt.
Hopefully it is part of the royal collection and we will get to see it again one day.

:previous: Oh don't tease me, please! I think it is with the family as they must have something to wear for the next coronation. And, they BRF has a rather non-descript demi-parure in the vaults.

^ The Snowden's still have the Teck Circle Necklace, which converts very well into a fabulous Tiara, so the Countess need have no worries for the future Coronation

:previous: Oh don't tease me, please! I think it is with the family as they must have something to wear for the next coronation. And, they BRF has a rather non-descript demi-parure in the vaults.
Which demi-parure did you have in mind? Is it the one that Camilla wears?

^ The Snowden's still have the Teck Circle Necklace, which converts very well into a fabulous Tiara, so the Countess need have no worries for the future Coronation

The Countess also comes from a wealthy titled family so may choose to either borrow from her own family or purchase a tiara personally.

The Countess also comes from a wealthy titled family so may choose to either borrow from her own family or purchase a tiara personally.

But if her Family has a tiara would she not have worn this one for her Wedding instead borrowing one fom her mother-in-law ?

She has also a beechwood tiara which was designed be the Earl so she could opt for this one for the coroantion. Would be something different.

[....]

The Girls of Great Britain & Ireland diadem was originally worn with upright pearls, which were replaced with diamond studs by Queen Elizabeth II. It is an option for Queen Camilla to wear the diadem in original setting: without the ugly base and with upright pearshaped diamonds.

Queen Mary with the original setting: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JYbzUhW6...G9l657DWEzwCLcBGAs/s1600/2018-0421-ggbi09.png

For State Opening of Parliament and official portraits around the Kingdom and in the Commonwealth countries -
1. Regal Circlet if she is crowned.
2. Greville (honeycomb) Tiara.
3. Delhi Durbar Tiara.
4. Oriental Circlet Tiara.

I don’t think she will use any tiara that is heavily associated with QEII for those occassions.

For State Visit Banquet’s and Diplomatic Receptions -
1. Greville (honeycomb) Tiara
2. Oriental Circlet Tiara
3. Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara with pearls or emeralds (would love to see amethyst drops being added too, to match the Kent Amethysts and Queen Alexandra’s heart shaped Amethyst Necklace that Camilla has already worn).
4. Teck Crescent Tiara.
5. QEQM’s Turquoise Tiara (if the Royal Family have access to it).

I don’t expect the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara to be worn in the next reign and possibly also not in the next next. Unless QEII decides to give it to Anne or Sophie.
I am not convinced that Camilla will wear any Fringe Tiara because i don’t think it is her style. And if she wants to be nice to us she will send the Burmese Ruby Tiara, Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara and the Belgian Sapphire Tiara back to the jeweller, to be redesigned and reworked.

I hope Kate as Princess of Wales will be given access to a Fringe tiara. Possibly Queen Mary’s Fringe Tiara or Queen Adelaide’s Fringe Tiara that we haven’t seen for ages. That would be a welcome 2:nd option to the Lover’s Knot. I also hope she will make more use of the Lotus Tiara and the Halo tiara as well.

Last edited:
Do you see Camilla using the Strathmore Rose Tiara?

Do you see Camilla using the Strathmore Rose Tiara?

Highly unlikely. Camilla tends to favor the big gun jewels and they suit her. The strathmore Rose is delicate and under whelming especially for a consort. It was made for a duchess of York.

I think Camilla suits big jewels and the Strathmore Rose might get lost, that aid its sometimes hard to tell with tiaras that haven't been worn for a long while, those that once looked small in photos from decades ago now look massive.

I think in part looking ahead to the future may be why Camilla has only worn the Deli Durbar tiara once. It would make a good addition to her rotation when Queen.

I can see her wearing the George IV State Diadem for State Opening then Deli Durbar & Greville Boucheron for other tiara uses. If she has the Teck Crescent that might make a good "midway" tiara and I can see her using the Oriental Circlet as the current Queen has only worn it once or twice.

I agree that I'd like to see the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland rested for a bit its so associated with the current Queen. That said, maybe it could be used without the base as it once was (I think that would look good on Kate) and maybe the base could be used a small tiara for Charlotte. Maybe if it can be used as such still Camilla could use it as a necklace.

^^^^^ Oh no, only a vandal would ever break up an historic tiara! Step away from the tiara with your hands in full view! It's possible that the GGBI pearl uprights may still survive and be in the original box which would mean that the tiara could be worn;

* with or without the base,
* with or without the diamond uprights,
* with or without pearl uprights.

That would give as many variations as the Vladimir. [emoji847]

The pearls that were originally on the GGBI Tiara are now the pearls the dangle from the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara so its internally possibly that the tiara can still be worn in its original form as well as in its current form with and without the base. Since the tiara was passed from grandmother to granddaughter I would not be surprised it moves once again to the granddaughter-in-law. I think DoCa would look divine in the GGBI without the base and its in original form with the pearls.

As for the DoCo I hope to see her in the Oriental Ruby Circlet, The GD Vladimir, and the Kokoshnik.

The pearls that were originally on the GGBI Tiara are now the pearls the dangle from the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara so its internally possibly that the tiara can still be worn in its original form as well as in its current form with and without the base. .

Not on the Vladimirn tiara but on the Queen Mary's Lover's Knot tiara. But i wonder where the upright pearl spikes from this tiara are now. Would be nice if the could be restored.

The Pearls that dangle from the Vladimir, are those original to it [spirited out of Russia by Alfie Stopford in 1918].

Those used on the GBBl must be somewhere.. Its an excellent idea to re-attach them, since [to most] it would make a tiara deeply familiar [and associated with the present Queen] seem 'new'...
Even so I think it unlikely Queen Camilla will wear it, Catherine , may do so [but already has a pearl Tiara in the 'Lovers Knot'], so may leave it for Georges wife ?

What is badly needed [and sadly lacking] is a decent Sapphire Tiara, so I hope Charles [and he's the one with 'a good eye'] will look at the Delhi Durbar and see the value of attaching Sapphires to it [in some way].
That would look magnificent on his wife, and Queen, and be a lasting legacy to the Royal Collection.

Last edited:
I am almost certain (and please someone correct me if I am wrong) that Leslie Field who had some access to the vaults has said there are two 'mystery' sapphire tiaras in there.

My greatest hope is that some of the pieces that have been languishing in the vault finally see the light of day. Camilla could probably wear vault only items for quite some time without running out.

Isn’t there a sapphire one Margaret wore once in her youth?
I don’t think the current sapphire tiara of HM QEII would suit Camilla at all.
Hope they rework the Brazil Aquamarine one, to me it looked better as it was originally. Maybe if Camilla has the Oriental circlet they will quietly retire the Burmese Ruby.

Would not at all surprise me if Camilla starts wearing some unseen tiara, we know there are a few hiding in the vaults, Anne wore that double meander tiara once. That would suit Camilla but would be rather similar to the Greville diamond tiara so may be unnecessary.

Not on the Vladimirn tiara but on the Queen Mary's Lover's Knot tiara. But i wonder where the upright pearl spikes from this tiara are now. Would be nice if the could be restored.

Ah you are correct! Thank you. Now you have me wondering about the Lovers Knot Pearl Spikes as well. I would love to see the GGBI with the pearl spikes again, Angela Kelly, if your lurking on these boards...

Back
Top Bottom