The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Royal Highness

I will confess I'm looking forward to seeing Camilla in the Order of the Garter!

Another piece I think she would wear beautifully is the Dagmar necklace of Queen Alexandra's: Royal Collection - The Dagmar Necklace

and of course, The Oriental Circlet: Royal Collection - The Oriental Circlet

but, not that Burmese Ruby tiara. Her Majesty can leave that to Sophie so we don't have to see it much again!! It looks like fireworks exploding on the head.

The Williamson brooch is truly spectacular, and I would hope to see Camilla wearing it one day: Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Aristocracy

Yes leave it to Sophie and she can make the changes herself.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
Yes leave it to Sophie and she can make the changes herself.
I am no fan of the Burmese ruby tiara, but still have no desire to see it go out of the "main" line. Camilla or William's wife can decide if they want to alter it. Sophie could probably do with a small diamond tiara that could be quite versatile, and befitting her position in the royal line up - HM would do well to let her have one within her life time.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Royal Highness

Perhaps the scroll tiara or maybe Queen Mary's lozenge tiara for Sophie? Those are small, diamond tiaras but not ridiculously small (like Mette-Marit's tiara). In the meantime, the Rundell for Camilla!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Perhaps the scroll tiara or maybe Queen Mary's lozenge tiara for Sophie? Those are small, diamond tiaras but not ridiculously small (like Mette-Marit's tiara). In the meantime, the Rundell for Camilla!
Agree, on both counts, though I would prefer if HM got a new diamond tiara for Sophie.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Really? There are so many beautiful pieces that we have not seen for ages.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Nobility

im so sorry because their are so many pieces of jewelry that they acquired over the many years that has never been worn or has never been seen for so long.
so i would love to see them worreb by my lovely duchess camilla .
i think camilla looks beautiful in big tiars ( me too i like the big tiaras )and i can not imagine her wearing a small one (maybe the tiara desappear in her hear )
this is a list of my prefere tiaras ,i wish to see them woren by camilla :
-http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...es1969/A04.jpg-
-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...520Diadem1.jpg.
-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/dresses3.jpg.
-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ik20Tiara1.jpg.

-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ewels/windsor%-
-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ewels/windsor%
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
. . . . . . . but, not that Burmese Ruby tiara. Her Majesty can leave that to Sophie so we don't have to see it much again!! It looks like fireworks exploding on the head.
Ouch! That's a little harsh Janet! (Only because I love it paired with the ruby swag necklace) Sophie would be swamped by the sheer size of it all!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Ouch! That's a little harsh Janet! (Only because I love it paired with the ruby swag necklace) Sophie would be swamped by the sheer size of it all!
You do make an excellent point so I must finally admit something that I've been holding back for several months--that Burmese tiara is beginning to grow on me. By no means is it one of my favorites at all---but from the right angle it is quite attractive. In fact, it is lovely (OMG I can't believe I said that!).
However, let's look at QEII's "new" tiaras since she came to the throne:
Nizm of Hyderabad tiara w/matching necklace (necklace is still intact, not sure about tiara)
Sapphire tiara
Burmese Ruby tiara
Aquamarine parue

Any others? So, the Queen has added four tiaras since she became Queen. Actually, that's pretty impressive. She had a strong hand in designing three of them as well (Ruby, Sapphire, Aquamarine). None of the three are my favorites design wise--but the aquamarine is dead last. But, it is a full parue. However, it was a gift from Brazil to the monarch and will thusly stay in the collection-as was the Nizm set.
Here is my question---I'm sure QEII will leave at least one of her independent making to the collection to leave her mark on the jewel legacy. As Andrew isn't married, and it doesn't look like he's getting married anytime soon, that leaves Edward--who by all accounts will be the Duke of Edinburg. He has an heir, so the title will continue to pass. I think they'll end up with some jewels more substantial than what they have right now. But, what tiara/sets are we looking at seeing Edward left?
It's a toss-up--the sapphires were a gift from QEII's father, so they're not royal. The rubies were a gift from another country (she just took them from a necklace and made the tiara). As much as I don't want to see anything pass--I think the sapphires will find their way to Edward.

Of course, we are talking about Camilla here. It would be shame to not see her in that GORGEOUS sapphire parue.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You do make an excellent point so I must finally admit something that I've been holding back for several months--that Burmese tiara is beginning to grow on me. By no means is it one of my favorites at all---but from the right angle it is quite attractive. In fact, it is lovely (OMG I can't believe I said that!).
Far be it from me to crow over your slow, but inevitable, slide into "Burmese Beauty" or is that "Ruby Radiance"?

(Na, na, na, na, na. YeeeHa! Gotcha!) Sorry, that one got away from me!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Far be it from me to crow over your slow, but inevitable, slide into "Burmese Beauty" or is that "Ruby Radiance"?

(Na, na, na, na, na. YeeeHa! Gotcha!) Sorry, that one got away from me!
You are so bad!!! There are some pictures of that tiara which are really beautiful--and some that are not. Apparently, I was looking at the wrong ones all this time! Let the descent begin!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As much as I don't want to see anything pass--I think the sapphires will find their way to Edward.

Of course, we are talking about Camilla here. It would be shame to not see her in that GORGEOUS sapphire parue.
I would hate to see Camilla not get the full sapphire parure. So where does that leave us in relation to ome further jewels for Sophie Wessex? I still maintain that the Queen should get Sophie a new medium sized diamond tiara, that could be paired with any of the many diamond necklaces (similar in design to the King Faisal necklace) the Queen possesses. There are quite a few necklaces with a fairly similar design, so a relatively "minor" one with limited historical provenance could be left for Sophie. In addition, a few smaller brooches with more sentimental and family hoistory could also be left for her. What say?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Aristocracy

I'vd read all of this with interest, and it does seem that everyone is unanimous on the need for big jewels for Camilla - her hair does need it, and she understands how to wear them - much better than Beatrix who lets them get lost amongst her birds nest.

I think Camilla will look fab in the Kokoshnik, and as stated many times, she needs to get the Durbar back on again some time soon. Like now.

I've said it somewhere else, but Burmese and the Sapphires do need reworking, the Sapphires most urgently, as it is just half done. Love the necklace though, but lose the pendant and make the chain longer - much better in its original state. Rocking those redone sapphires (in the style discussed earlier) would be fabulous. I think Queen Silvia would have a rock rival on her hands then! But - my jury is still out, and perhaps Cam could do things with Burmese to make us all love it... Who knows.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Kohinoor is a highly emotive, sensitive and politcal issue in India, with a section of the Indian population demanding that it be returned to India. I would, therefore, be surprised if the Kohinoor diamond was moved around much. Its fine leaving it in a "historical" setting, ie the QMs crown, but I do not think it is likely to be appearing soon in use. Given this background, it will be interesting how the issue is dealt with if Camilla were to be crowned using the Queen Mum's crown.
I can't seen Camilla ever getting to use the Queen Mother's crown. It would be too controversial.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I can't seen Camilla ever getting to use the Queen Mother's crown. It would be too controversial.
Why? If she is to be crowned, there are two options: use the existing Consort's crown, or make a new one.
Which do you think would be the more controversial?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

One wonders if it would really be so controversial though as the stones used for Queen Elizabeth's crown could be used for Camilla's. Infact, I'm sure theres more than enough diamonds in the vault to mount a frame or two or three.

In any case, it would only be a frame that would need to be re-fashioned if a new crown were commissioned. The ermine could, I'm sure, also be reused.

Perhaps leave out the Koh-I-Noor this time, however

Should she be created Princess Consort, then the base of a crown (much like those that Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth wore to the Coronations of George VI and Elizabeth II, which as we know were the base of their crowns...personally I think Queen Mary's was much nicer than Queen Elizabeths) would be an appropriate alternative. Perhaps even the state diadem could be considered.

Ahh the speculation. Glorious isn't it..haha.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I can't see that it would be too contraversial - she seems pretty much to have the run of the QM's jewels, wearing her ring as an engagement ring, several of her brooches, necklaces and the biggest tiara already.....
Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Why? If she is to be crowned, there are two options: use the existing Consort's crown, or make a new one.
Which do you think would be the more controversial?
Personally, I just feel that the Queen Mother, is well....., The Queen Mother and her crown should be left as is. Although, the cost in making a new one will probably be more controversial to the general public. I expect master jewelers don't come cheap?

PS - Is there a more appropriate thread to discuss this?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If every Queen took the approach that you are taking to jewels, we would have a lot more jewels gathering dust someone.
That crown should be worn, it's beautiful.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

I have always assumed that Camilla would wear the Queen Mother's crown--it's still intact (no stones have been replaced with pastes) and it is something Charles remembers seeing his grandmother wear at his mother's coronation. The emotion of the piece makes it a logical choice. Of course, the State Diadem is also a fantastic choice as well.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery, tiaras