The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes Queen Mary's Crown is on display at the Tower. In 1936/37 when the Crown for the Qeenmother was made Cristalls where made to replace the Diamond like the Kohinoor in the Crown.
I actually prefer this to the one of the Queenmother.
So it may well be the Queen Mothers crown or Queen Mary's that Camilla ends up wearing.

The Rundell tiara is amazing - and it would look lovely on Camilla. Lovely as it is, I think that if she wanted to add another tiara with just diamonds to the ones she uses, she may go for the Kokoshnik - leaving the Rundell perhaps for Williams wife to use as the Princess of Wales. The Kokoshnik is just in a different league, and we have seen enough evidence of Camilla's ability to carry off big jewels with panache.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness

I would like to see her wear something with some colored stones--of course, the Vladimir with emeralds is my first choice--but there is an interesting sapphire tiara that belonged to Marie Feodorovna, I believe, which Queen Mary acquired. That would be lovely on Camilla.
Some other items I'd like to see, although not tiaras, would be the King George VI sapphires--they are really too beautiful to put away. The one thing I don't want to see reappear is the Brazillian aquarmarine suite--some things should be hid away

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I fully agree the Vladamir with the emeralds is a lovely tiara and Camilla will do it justice.

The Queen selectively added to her jewellery, and the two main new tiaras she got (the Burmese ruby and the George VI sapphire, ignoring the Brazilian acquamarines for now), were acquired in the 1960s and 1970s, i.e. about 10 years apart. In these even more restrained times, I think Camilla will not get many opportunities to redo too much of the jewellery she inherits / acquire too much; I almost think she is only going to get to redo / acquire one major tiara / parure in the time that C&C are reigning.

If that theory holds, then I think the King George VI sapphire tiara would get my vote for the one that should be reworked. The sapphires in the tiara themselves are lovely, but I think the tiara just needs a lot more diamonds with a view to making it a more substantial tiara all around, not just at the mid-point on the front! In its current form, the tiara has a lot of large diamonds - if it were reworked to include a combination of larger and smaller stones, I am sure a lovely tiara could be designed. I am talking of the resulting tiara being of the size and scale of the Rundell / Girls of Great Britain, or maybe even larger - given the size of the sapphires, they could do justice to a larger tiara. We may even get lucky and find Camilla has it redesigned to end up something like the sapphire tiara that Queen Silvia from Sweden has.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Royal Highness

A picture, courtesy of our Beloved Warren and his ever impressive collection of photographs: Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007

I have never particularly loved this tiara (nor the Burmese for that matter), but I am awed by the clarity and quality of the sapphires. They are such an incredible shade of blue--
But, let's discuss the problem with this tiara--the design. It's too open on either side of the central stone. It looks incomplete, to me. I do agree that a reworking that results ina tiara similiar to that of the Swedish Sapphire tiara would be stunning. I had originally thought that a setting similar to the Amethyst Tiara of the Swedish Royals would be attractive with the necklace of King George Sapphires, but I dont' think that the shape of the stones in QEII's sapphire tiara would work well at all for that type of setting. Pity-I love the style of that amethyst tiara.
Here's a link to some photos of the Swedish Jewels:
Swedish Jewels

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I think we are both agreed on the problem with the tiara - it seems incomplete in its current form.

A few options come to mind:

1) I would love to see the BRF with a tiara similar to the Swedish amethyst tiara - I think your idea could work. The George VI sapphires being much smaller than the amethysts, they would need quite substantial embellishments, perhaps at the base. Maybe something similar to the lozenge base of the Girls of Great Britain (that the Queen fond after the death of Queen Mary) could be used - they might need to add a few of those at the bottom to give the tiara height. That said, I am loath to plunder the George VI necklace, as I think it looks lovely as it is.

2) Lets stick with the style of the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara of Queen Sylvia. I would suggest removing the sapphires from the top of the tiara (the resultant tiara would be of broadly uniform height all around, only in diamonds), and place the sapphires from the Geoge VI tiara about half way down the height of the resultant diamond tiara - this design would allow the different sized sapphires currently in the George VI tiara to get used, and any additional ones required to embellish it would not necessarily have to be of the same size. I hope you get an idea of where I am trying to get to - am not sure if have been able to explain myself well here!

3) Another alternative would be to convert the sapphire and diamond necklace with loops that HM has (I think a gift from the rulers of one of the middle eastern countries -see webink below) into a taira. This too would be lovely. Sorry I cant find a close picture of the necklace

http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/Galler...dip1_large.jpg
Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Aristocracy

Try this link Te queen in the Vladamir Tiare and the Dubai sapphire necklace: here
Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
Try this link Te queen in the Vladamir Tiare and the Dubai sapphire necklace: here
Thanks, thats a great picture of the necklace. It was taken recently for the Canadians.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was thinking about this today... if Camilla isn't actually crowned as the queen consort, do you think that would limit what she will wear? My guess is that it might have some effect at the coronation but I'm not sure what effect her role as "princess consort" would have on the use of jewels usually worn by the queen consort. (I don't know why this popped into my head, instead of some other "important" question.)
Old 10-03-2008, 03:08 PM

I do not think it will have any effect. This whole "princess consort" thing seems to me as a hypocratic attempt to diminish Camilla's rang because of the fact that she is a former divorcee and mistress to Charles. I think her jewels as Princess Consort will not differ from a Queen Consort's. Just think of the wonderful jewels she ALREADY wears on certain occasions as The Duchess of Cornwall. Whatever she will be called, she will be wearing breathtaking jewels as Prince/King Charles's wife. Moreover, she has to look extremely "regal" in order to fit in as this new princess in the royal family. That's what I think :)
Old 10-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Camilla is denied the rank and title of Queen by Parliament, I doubt she will be crowned at the Coronation as a Princess Consort. More likely, she would have a role similar to Prince Philip at The Queen 's coronation, in which he was the first Peer to kneel before the newly-crowned Sovereign and pay homage.

The royal collection of jewels will automatically be inherited by Charles once he is King. Even so, there are many pieces designated by Queen Victoria and Queen Mary as belonging to the Crown to only be worn by a Queen Consort. The present Queen may also designate additional pieces she received as state gifts or from her grandmother as belonging to the Crown to be worn only by a Queen. These pieces would not be worn by Camilla if she is Princess Consort.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was thinking about this today... if Camilla isn't actually crowned as the queen consort, do you think that would limit what she will wear? My guess is that it might have some effect at the coronation but I'm not sure what effect her role as "princess consort" would have on the use of jewels usually worn by the queen consort. (I don't know why this popped into my head, instead of some other "important" question.)
She would wear one of her current tiaras with her coronet, just like everyone else.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Royal Highness

Murial, you're ideas are lovely!
I may well be in the minority here, but I just do not particularly like that loopy-sapphire necklace of QEII's. Those stones are nice, though. That would be a good candidate for breaking apart to create a tiara similar to the Swedish amethyst.

Another piece I would like to see on Camilla is the delightful flower basket brooch that was given to QEII by her parents when Charles was born. It's a lovely piece.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, now you have sort of fallen into my favorite argument. With all those sapphires and money to buy a few others why not keep the necklace and earings the QEII is wearing with the sapphire tiara and redo the entire tiara along the lines of the Bagration spinel tiara, whose design is simply magnificent beyong words. I have never cared very much for spinels, which to me have always seemed to be rather second rate or watered down rubies. But should you replace them with the finest grade sapphires, pant, gasp, heavy breathing, drool the results could only be stunning. I would quiver for days, my weakened and demented mental system under such a spasm of total delight it would hardly be able to stand up under the strain.

In any case one of our resident photoshopping genii concocted such a contraption some time ago. If someone could fish the contraption out of the depths maybe the other members could judge for themselves whether or not my idea is a good one or merely demented from a poor doddering wretch who is desperately in need of a good fix of chocolate. Cheers.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
If Camilla is denied the rank and title of Queen by Parliament, I doubt she will be crowned at the Coronation as a Princess Consort. More likely, she would have a role similar to Prince Philip at The Queen 's coronation, in which he was the first Peer to kneel before the newly-crowned Sovereign and pay homage.

The royal collection of jewels will automatically be inherited by Charles once he is King. Even so, there are many pieces designated by Queen Victoria and Queen Mary as belonging to the Crown to only be worn by a Queen Consort. The present Queen may also designate additional pieces she received as state gifts or from her grandmother as belonging to the Crown to be worn only by a Queen. These pieces would not be worn by Camilla if she is Princess Consort.
Not just a Queen Consort, but also a Queen Regnent (sp?). But you bring up an interesting point. If we take Prince Charles at his word and Camilla is Princess Consort then there are many jewels designated for The Queen (in either form) that C may not be eligable to wear. On the other hand, there is not exactly a shortage of available jewels for her to 'console' herself with.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Not just a Queen Consort, but also a Queen Regnent (sp?). But you bring up an interesting point. If we take Prince Charles at his word and Camilla is Princess Consort then there are many jewels designated for The Queen (in either form) that C may not be eligable to wear. On the other hand, there is not exactly a shortage of available jewels for her to 'console' herself with.
I certainly wouldn't mind consoling myself with the jewels in that collection!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Royal Highness

I will horribly disappointed if Camilla doesn't get to wear some of the very substantial jewels! Exactly which jewels are designated only for Queen Consorts? I should know, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll have to look it up--but, the whole issue has changed. Now, we're getting back into language. Technically, unless a Letters Patent is issued before HM QEII dies, Camilla will immediately be the Queen Consort at the moment of HM QEII's death. Nobody is going to "demote" her, so to speak. An announcement may be issued along the same lines as the one at her wedding stating that while her title is in fact HM The Queen Consort, she prefers to be known as the HRH The Princess Consort. If that is the case, that she is actually Queen Consort but wishes to be knows as Princess Consort then wouldn't she still have access to the "Queen Consort Only" Jewels? So, unless QEII issues a Letters Patent (and she doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do so) I think we're looking at either Queen Consort Camilla flat out OR Queen Consort Camilla who wishes to be known as THe Princess Consort, not unlike her current status as HRH The PRincess of Wales but she prefers to be known as HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Either way, she's entitled to wear all jewels, designated or not. UNLESS a Letters Patent is issued before QEII dies that entitles her HRH The Princess Consort rather than Queen Consort.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

How legally binding is this decree by Queen Victoria about the jewels that are reserved for use by future Queens? I mean, say Camilla shows up wearing the Oriental Circlet tiara while she's still Duchess of Cornwall - is someone going to haul her off to jail if she ends up being Princess Consort rather than Queen?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I will horribly disappointed if Camilla doesn't get to wear some of the very substantial jewels! Exactly which jewels are designated only for Queen Consorts? I should know, but I'm drawing a blank.
According to Suzy Menkes' book "The Royal Jewels," Queen Victoria left the following to the Crown:

The George IV diamond diadem
The brilliant regal tiara of 1853 (which was broken up to make the Queen Mother's crown in 1937, so apparently this bequest doesn't necessarily protect the jewels in question)
The regal Indian tiara (that's the Oriental Circlet, which started out with opals but was remodelled with rubies, and was one of the tiaras used by the Queen Mother)
The Timor ruby
The Jubilee necklace and earrings (I think the Queen wears this quite often)
Several diamond collet necklaces
A diamond fringe necklace
Two pearl necklaces dating from Stuart/early Hanoverian times
A suite of amethysts belonging to Queen Victoria's mother (didn't the Queen Mother sell these?)
Twenty-one rings and four bracelets
Queen Victoria's emerald bracelet
Two diamond bow brooches
Queen Victoria's sapphire brooch
Cat's eye brooch
Various opal jewels
Five sets of earrings
Five other assorted brooches
Indian pearl necklace
Various other assorted odds and sods

Queen Mary also added some Indian jewellery to the list; apparently Queen Alexandra didn't add anything.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

There where 2 sets of amethysts. One from Queen Mary who ended up with the Queen Mother who sold it.
And another which belonged to Queen Victorias mother. This one doen's have a tiara. It's seldom worn by the Queen. I always hope for an british-belgian State Visit as i think she would perhaps wear it then as it matches the sash of the belgian Leopold Order.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Bagration Parure - Necklace, Earrings, Comb, Tiara Pink Spinel Diamont Set

The Bagration spinal tiara could certainly be a guide. That is very much the size and scale I was hoping that any potential reworked sapphire tiara for Camilla would get to. And I have to say, I do like the idea of leaving the existing George VI neckace and earrings as they are, as well as the sapphire necklace with loops (sorry jcbcode!).

There we are - resolved on the issue of what to for finding Camilla suitable sapphire tiara! Leads us neatly onto the next issue: the Burmese ruby tiara. There are a lot of us who are not big fans of it. Any ideas of how that might be reworked for Camilla?

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery, tiaras