The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
Wonder what she would wear to Charles' corination?
I firmly believe that Camilla will be crowned Queen alongside her husband, probably in the Queen Mother's crown. Spending lots of money dismantling and re-designing jewellery would be a bit of a faux-pas nowadays.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I firmly believe that Camilla will be crowned Queen alongside her husband, probably in the Queen Mother's crown. Spending lots of money dismantling and re-designing jewellery would be a bit of a faux-pas nowadays.
I agree; it is extremely likely Camilla will be crowned alongside Charles. If she isn't, the would be the first Queen Consort since Caroline of Brunswick (George IV's wife) not to be crowned.

In the whole history of English/British monarchy, only eight queens consort weren't crowned since the times of William the Conqueror: Margaret of France (Edward I's second wife), Jane Seymour (Henry VIII's third wife), Anne of Cleves (Henry VIII's fourth wife), Catherine Howard (Henry VIII's fifth wife), Catherine Parr (Henry VIII's sixth wife), Henrietta of France (Charles I's wife), Catherine of Braganza (Charles II's wife), Caroline of Brunswick (George IV's wife).

As for the Crown, ever since Queen Adelaide it has been customary to make new Crowns for each Queen Consort. However, if a new crown isn't made, then I agree than the crowns of The Queen Mother or Mary of Modena would be the most likely ones to be used for Camilla's coronation.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

As for the Crown, since Queen Adelaide it has been customary to make new Crowns for each Queen Consort. However, if a new crown isn't made, then I agree than the crowns of The Queen Mother or Mary of Modena would be the most likely ones.
I'm sure that the Prince of Wales would prefer Camilla to be crowned with his grandmother's crown. However, I personally think that Queen Mary's crown is much more graceful than Queen Elizabeth's (The QM), which is a little "squat" for my taste. The jewels removed from Queen Mary's crown (Cullinans, Koh-i-Nur) could be returned some day - for the future Queen Catherine perhaps? Queen Elizabeth had to have a new crown made only because Queen Mary wore hers, without the arches, to the Coronation of George VI, in a huge break with tradition I might add. Queens Dowager normally didn't attend the coronations of their husband's successor(s).
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree; it is extremely likely Camilla will be crowned alongside Charles. If she isn't, the would be the first Queen Consort since Caroline of Brunswick (George IV's wife) not to be crowned.

In the whole history of English/British monarchy, only eight queens consort weren't crowned since the times of William the Conqueror: Margaret of France (Edward I's second wife), Jane Seymour (Henry VIII's third wife), Anne of Cleves (Henry VIII's fourth wife), Catherine Howard (Henry VIII's fifth wife), Catherine Parr (Henry VIII's sixth wife), Henrietta of France (Charles I's wife), Catherine of Braganza (Charles II's wife), Caroline of Brunswick (George IV's wife).

As for the Crown, ever since Queen Adelaide it has been customary to make new Crowns for each Queen Consort. However, if a new crown isn't made, then I agree than the crowns of The Queen Mother or Mary of Modena would be the most likely ones to be used for Camilla's coronation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
I'm sure that the Prince of Wales would prefer Camilla to be crowned with his grandmother's crown. However, I personally think that Queen Mary's crown is much more graceful than Queen Elizabeth's (The QM), which is a little "squat" for my taste. The jewels removed from Queen Mary's crown (Cullinans, Koh-i-Nur) could be returned some day - for the future Queen Catherine perhaps? Queen Elizabeth had to have a new crown made only because Queen Mary wore hers, without the arches, to the Coronation of George VI, in a huge break with tradition I might add. Queens Dowager normally didn't attend the coronations of their husband's successor(s).
I agree, Camilla will (and should) be crowned alongside Charles.

I am not fussed about the crown used, but I would hope that the Kohinoor diamond is not in the crown that Camilla uses. It is an emotive point for people from the subcontinent, and it would be useful to avoid any controversy in this regard.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

Possibly all the ones she's used now as duchess of Cornwall like honeycomb tiara.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Possibly all the ones she's used now as duchess of Cornwall like honeycomb tiara.
Unless those tiaras, as the wife of the heir, are worn by Catherine who will move up to being the wife of the heir when Camilla becomes the Queen Consort.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

But wouldn't it ultimately be up to Charles (the new Monarch) who wears what?
Camilla, as the Queen Consort, will have precedence over all women in the Kingdom, Kate included, so it will be her choice, not Kate's.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

But wouldn't it ultimately be up to Charles (the new Monarch) who wears what?
Camilla, as the Queen Consort, will have precedence over all women in the Kingdom, Kate included, so it will be her choice, not Kate's.
Never said it would be Catherine's choice did i?
And in the jewellery stakes I doubt Charles would have an ounce of say in the matter, whilst they might belong to him he isn't the one wearing them. Camilla will be The Queen Consort therefore should wear the jewels of a Queen. Catherine will be the wife of the heir and presumably The Princess of Wales therefore obviously should wear the jewels worn by previous heir apparent wives these include the honeycomb, the boucheron etc.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Never said it would be Catherine's choice did i?
And in the jewellery stakes I doubt Charles would have an ounce of say in the matter, whilst they might belong to him he isn't the one wearing them. Camilla will be The Queen Consort therefore should wear the jewels of a Queen. Catherine will be the wife of the heir and presumably The Princess of Wales therefore obviously should wear the jewels worn by previous heir apparent wives these include the honeycomb, the boucheron etc.
I don't believe the British Royal Family doles out their jewels that way. I mean, you look at tiaras like the Cambridge Lover's Knot and it was worn by the Queen and then Diana. The Boucheron was worn by the Queen Mother and then Camilla. The scroll went from Princess Anne and Princess Margaret to Catherine. It doesn't look like order of precedence really affects how the jewels are assigned at all.

I imagine Charles will be fine with the ladies wearing whichever ones they choose to wear.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Nobility

I think it might also depend upon when Prince Charles succeeds. Some of the tiaras worn by Camilla would, in my opinion, look too much on Catherine whereas I think they suit Camilla. This is partially because of Catherine's youth and also because of her more slender build.

I'm not sure its so much a matter of matching the tiara with the rank as matching it with the wearer. Maybe if Catherine is older when she becomes the Princess of Wales the larger and more ornate tiaras will suit her but at the moment I think the more delicate ones are better for her.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Besides the Crown inheritence (reserved for the King's spouse), there are not set rules as to which jewellery should be worn by any prospective Princess of Wales.

Camilla may very well wish to contue wearing the said tiara's well after Charles suceeds his mother. There is an ample of amount of gem's in the vault to befit Catherine as wife of the heir apparent should she a) be offered and b) wish too wear them.

It has also long been said that Charles has, on occasion, inlfuenced his wife as to what jewellery she should wear for white tie events. That I would not be surprised at given his apparent interest in personal presentation and image.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Gentry

I think she'll wear QEQM's coronation crown, when she is crowned with Charles. Public opinion has changed so much over the last several years in regards to her and Charles. I just don't think it will be that big of a deal. IMO
Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Aristocracy

maybe she should just design her own one
Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=Tsar bobo Iv;1431738]maybe she should just design her own one[/QUOTE

This would be great, please do something with the Queens Sapphier tiara- But I dought that this will happen (not for the corination at least).
Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Unless those tiaras, as the wife of the heir, are worn by Catherine who will move up to being the wife of the heir when Camilla becomes the Queen Consort.
Those two tiaras were in the gift of the Queen to Camilla for her life use. The Delhi Durbar is unique and as we have only seen it once, may very well be that it was intended for her to wear at a specific occasion as an equally specific message. I don't expect to see Catherine wear it before her husband becomes heir to the throne and probably not any time soon after.

The Bucheron was left to the QM who, in turn, left it to her daughter. She, in turn, has gifted it to Camilla for her life use. It was a favourite of the QM because, like the Queen's 'Girls of Great Britain and Ireland', it is light and easy to wear. I am sure that HM was mindful of this and appreciated that Camilla, not having had her adult life to work her way up to the "serious" stuff, gifted her something both fabulous and easy to wear.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it rather unfortunate that Camilla does not choose to wear the Cubitt tiara. She's only worn it once in public since her marriage to Charles. It's such a lovely, 'Duchess' like tiara.

Delicate, yet regal. I hope she wears it from time to time after Charles succeeds his mother. It would make for a nice change to the usual statement pieces she seems to favour which I think have a tendancy to engulf her.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
This would be great, please do something with the Queens Sapphier tiara- But I dought that this will happen (not for the corination at least).
I would add the Aquamarine and Burmese Ruby to that list
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I think it rather unfortunate that Camilla does not choose to wear the Cubitt tiara. She's only worn it once in public since her marriage to Charles. It's such a lovely, 'Duchess' like tiara I find.

Delicate, yet regal. I hope she wears it from time to time after Charles succeeds his mother. It would make for a nice change to the usual statement pieces she seems to favour.
Also strange that she has never worn the Teck tiara which is loanded to her. As for the Delhi durbar tiara i think this should be for the use of the Queen and to use it for special occasions like for example Queen Silvia does it with the Braganca tiara.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Also strange that she has never worn the Teck tiara which is loanded to her. As for the Delhi durbar tiara i think this should be for the use of the Queen and to use it for special occasions like for example Queen Silvia does it with the Braganca tiara.
The history of the Delhi Durbar is suh that I wold be surprised if you saw it used much in a hurry. Would be nice to see Camilla in the Teck tiara though.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMess View Post
I would add the Aquamarine and Burmese Ruby to that list
that would be beautiful

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery, tiaras