The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The fact is she's already a "grand royal" as the second royal lady in the land. IMO she's not ridiculous at all, but quite grand and regal, but it's a matter of taste and personnal appreciation isn't it ?
Fully agree with you. Camilla is the second most senior lady and future queen of the UK. How much more "grand royal" than that does it get?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Ditto! But let's not forget that when the occasion calls for formal wear she has the use of her 'real' tiara's: The utterly fabulous "Delhi Durbar" and the magnificently glorious "Bucheron, both of which are a credit to her position as the Duchess of Cornwall, wife of the heir to the throne.

She also has her own family one and was gifted both a ruby and a sapphire one that (thankfully) we rarely see. There really is no need for people to start popping spurious photoshopped tiara's on her head. Her Majesty and Prince Charles have both ensured she has more than got that base covered.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

But she has worn the delhi durbar only one time. Could it be that it was an onetime loan and no permanent loan like the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara?

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But she has worn the delhi durbar only one time. Could it be that it was an onetime loan and no permanent loan like the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara?
I think the point is that Camilla has access to some serious jewels from HM, and does not need to resort to using the Lovers Knot, given its association with Diana.

IMO the reason the Delhi Durbar has not been used much is its origins at the Delhi Durbar in 1911, and how people of sub-continental origin in Britain might view such a symbol of British imperialism and subjugation.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to see Camilla in the Durbar again. I can't understand why she wore it just the once and why it was chosen for her first tiara appearance at all if it's not to be worn again?

That said, I think the Durbar would be a good choice of tiara once Charles becomes King, myself. That's if Camilla actually likes it.

As for what people of sub continental origin in Britain might say about it, well, imo, they are either choosing or willing to reside in Britain so tough luck. The royal vault should not be made to play hostage!

And some may find such a response rather harsh, but it's long been an item of jewellery owned by the BRF and was worn as recently as 2005. And if I recall rightly, it's most recent appearance did not muster any discontent. It's not like the Koh-I-Noor is being worn with it nowadays.

But, I speak only for myself.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Actually i think the Delhi Durbar tiara shpuld be worn be the reigning Queen or Queen consort for special occasions like Queen Siliva does it with the bragnza tiara, those for example incoming StateVisitis from other monarchies.
I think there would be plenty other tiaras to give Camilla access to without to have to use the Lovers Knot tiara.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I'd like to see Camilla in the Durbar again.
That makes it two of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
As for what people of sub continental origin in Britain might say about it, well, imo, they are either choosing or willing to reside in Britain so tuff luck. The royal vault should not be made to play hostage!

And some may find such a response rather harsh, but it's long been an item of jewellery owned by the BRF and was worn as recently as 2005. And if I recall rightly, it's most recent appearance did not muster any discontent. It's not like the Koh-I-Noor is being worn with it nowadays.
Fair point. That said a few points come to mind:

1) People of sub-continantal extraction now represent about 2.5m of the UK population of 55-60m. They are prosperous and increasingly, economically, socially and culturally influential in the UK, so there feelings are worth a lot more to the UK establishment now than say, 15 years ago.

2) India plays an increasingly important role on the world stage, politically and economically, evidenced by the number of trips British PMs have made to the sub-continent recently. An increasongly confident India could well start to raise issues in relation to the Kohinoor and the Delhi Durbar if these jewels were seen much in public. If I was in HMs shoes, I would simply leave them in the vault for a few more centuries rather than risk a debate on the matter.

Just my thoughts!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

...or maybe Camilla simply didn't like the tiara on her or found it too heavy. As practical as she is maybe the Honeycomb is finally the best option for her? ("State banquet? Let's get the mighty Bouch again").
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

For such a large extraction then I personally see it rather fitting that such stones be worn by a future Princess Consort (or Queen) who shall not only represent the caucasion subject in due course, but those who are of an oriental ethnicity aswell.

Instead of seeing it as a model of repression, why not view it as an item of cultural cohesion in modern day Britain! At least, that's my wishfull reasoning

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

That is certainly a way of looking at it!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM

May I see a picture of the tiara that was worn by Camilla's daughter
?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevrclark View Post
May I see a picture of the tiara that was worn by Camilla's daughter?
The Cubitt or Shand Tiara
pic heavily cropped from another image and not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UK Cubitt or Shand diamond floral tiara (Camilla) Tamara GREMB.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	278528  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Gentry

i would like to see camila wear queen alexandras collier reselie i hope the royal family still have its such an amazing piece of jewelry and it would be nice for some of the other unknown tiaras to come out i would love to raid the vaults :)
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I would love to see Camilla in the fringe tiara and necklace, just as HM wore it in the recent picture for the NZ jubilee portrait.

That said, I think Camilla may choose to use the Kokoshnik instead, and probably leave the fringe tiara for Catherine.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Aristocracy

As the Wife of the Future King & One day the Queen (or Kings Consort), HRH The Duchess of Cornwall will have access to many beautiful Jewells.
I look forward to seeing her wear many Tiara's and Necklaces
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wonder what she would wear to Charles' corination?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
Wonder what she would wear to Charles' corination?
I suspect she may follow precedent and wear Queen Victoria's coronation collet necklace.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I can't wait to see her wear that giant Delhi Tiara again!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

That and the Honeycomb tiara.

BTW, love your avatar of Isabella in her tutu. Too too, cute, lol!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
...or maybe Camilla simply didn't like the tiara on her or found it too heavy. As practical as she is maybe the Honeycomb is finally the best option for her? ("State banquet? Let's get the mighty Bouch again").
This or the balance of it is not quite comfortable or it's slightly too wide or narrow in the base, etc.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery, tiaras