The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchu View Post
This tiara probably is more valuable than most of the other tiaras since the diamonds are humongous.
Oh I agree..A very minimalistic tiara but those diamonds on her head and around her neck could pay off the deficit of a mid size country...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Nobility

Here are my impressions:

Sweden:
Vic-I knew and always said Vic could pull off the cameo tiara beautifully and she did not disappoint. Very regal, beautiful, and totally herself.
Silvia-Other ladies (Maria Teresa) need to look to this woman on how to wear substantial pieces. This is the one tiara that I believe one day Vic will have a hard time pulling off, but her mother wears it beautifully.
Madde-nice change from her mother's fringe. It looks nice on her but I hope this tiara stays in the Bernadotte foundation and is not a gift to her. I do hope, however, that we continue to see her in it and other occasionally.
Margaretha-unfortunately not aging well, but nice surpise for the aquamarine kokoshnik to appear. It would have been better if Margaretha colored her hair (even going all-white would be better than her hair now...which looks like powder on top of dishwater).
Birgitta-crypt keeper...nuff said
Desiree-2nd or 3rd time in the amethysts but I think the Leuchtenberg sapphires would have looked better with the dress.
Christina-the more I see her in the 6-button, the more I think she pulls it off in her own way as well as Lilian did in hers. Beautiful, vibrant smile.
Desiree von Hohenzollern-in the pearl tiara that previously belonged to her mother, this is the best she has looked in it (including her own wedding).
Marianne Bernadotte-in her pearl tiara. Really aged a lot in the last few months and in the pink gown/cape just looks washed out.
Gunilla-in her usual tiara. Always looks nice and appropriate, but really exceptional here with the blue coat over the gown. Perfect.
Bettina Bernadotte-another surprise, wearing the tiara previously worn by her older half-sister Cecilia in a picture from the 1960s. Tiara is better executed than the "cuff-link" tiara worn by the Mainau ladies.
Sandra-It appears she wore the small bracelet-tiara worn at her wedding reception. With Bettina in the new-old tiara, I wonder why she chose not to wear the cufflink piece.
Madeleine Kogevinas-looked like the royals of the late 1950s-early1960s. Nice hair and tiara, although I can't really see if it is the same one worn to Martha-Louise's wedding.
Jill Bernadotte-her usual tiara. She may have recycled her gown from CG's 60th bday as well. Overall nice presentation...flirty little walk LOL.

Most of the other ladies I posted in individual threads pertaining to their style or jewelry. A few that I also wanted to touch on here:

Norway:
Mette-Marit-Although it blended into her hair color and style a little too much, it was nice to see MM in the smaller version of Queen Maud's pearl tiara. She wore it well and it was a nice surprise.
Martha-Louise-WOW! I never would have thought the amethyst necklace-tiara would look good on her...but she looked great. Also nice to see her something other than her 18th bday tiara.

Great Britain:
Sophie-I actually don't think the tiara is awful, just not as good as her aquamarine one and certainly not as elegant as some of the others seen at the wedding. Today, however, I think the tiara is almost secondary. This is the best hairstyle I have seen on her, youthful, flattering, appropriate and her overall presentation was very impressive. May not be in my top five...but close.

Germany-Bavaria:
Anna-is she wearing the tiara of her mother-in-law Ursula? At one point in the cake-cutting portion of the broadcast she was close enough to the camera and turned and the upper portion looks like the sunburst portion of Ursula's tiara.

Victoria's friends:
Andrea Brodin Engsall-only one of the friends I saw wearing a tiara. She was shown quite often on camera. Any info on it?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Oh, I didn't see Desiree Hohenzollern, where can I see her?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Nobility

Hi, amedea. If you go to the IBL site and type in "Victoria-Daniel wedding" and click on the "Redacktionella arkivet" button, lots of pictures will come up from the wedding and other events. There are pictures of Desiree, her brothers, the Magnuson cousins and some of the Mainau relatives.

IBL BildbyrÄ
Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Courtier

Sophie, Countess of Wessex looked lovely, but I was disappointed with the tiara, I know she wore it for her own wedding, it looks like its made of bits and pieces stuck together, she deserves something much nicer
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Sophie, Countess of Wessex looked lovely, but I was disappointed with the tiara, I know she wore it for her own wedding, it looks like its made of bits and pieces stuck together, she deserves something much nicer

She's the wife of the youngest son of the monarch. That's as nice as she's getting.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
She's the wife of the youngest son of the monarch. That's as nice as she's getting.
Sister Morphine, I love your answer!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Actually, ada, this tiara IS made of extra pieces that were originally additional accessories for one of monarch's crowns made for Queen Victoria of Great Britain. While I agree that the execution is a bit lacking in design, this is actually one of the most significant tiaras as far as history is concerned....she still should have worn the aquamarine one, though...LOL
Old 06-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Well Said!!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Commoner

My favourites were the tiaras of GD Maria Teresa and Queen Silvia!

They both looked so impressiv and majestic!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Nobility

Ok - here is my vote:

The bride: I was never in favour of the Cameo tiara - but she managed to look absolutely stunning - the dress, the veil and the tiara were perfect.

HM Queen Silvia - yes, the Braganza and pinkt topas parure - great choice we hoped for. Together with the pink dress - she was every inch the glowing mother of the bride.

Princess Madeleine - although I hoped to see the Connaught originally on Victoria, I have to confess that Madeleine looked picture perfect. The Connaught is definitely a tiara for her. Together with the collier (don't know the name) and the blue dress - perfect combination.

Crownprincesses:
Mette-Marit: recently she has managed amazing outfits - the light blue dress with the pearl tiara (I understand it is a version of the Queen Maud tiara) togher with the corsage brooch - Wow.

Mary: I have to confess I was disappointed when I saw her. The ruby parure is a difficult one in my eyes but she managed to wear it perfectly in the past - the colour of her dress however this time did not match the parure - and left her somehow pale ...
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Mathilde: her one and only wedding tiara - but I liked the dress and the whole outfit. Decent but stylish.

Maxima: I did not like her dress - neither the colour nor the cut - but the tiara is a real important piece. Personally i think the peacock would have made a more beautiful appearance - together with a different dress colour.

Letizia: I am sorry but I did not like her outfit. Recently she looks frail again. The hair style and flower tiara looked to big for her - the colour of her dress nearly made her invisible.

Infanta Christina of Spain: I was more than astonished to see her wearing the great Cartier pearl diademe of Queen Enia whereas her mother, Queen Sofia was only wearing the Shell tiara.
But this tiara is really a beautiful one.

Infanta Elena : her Ex-husbands family tiara? Could someone maybe explain if this is a family heirloom or maybe some gift to the bride from the Marichalar family.....Interesting dress. Very spanish.

More to come soon.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post

Infanta Elena : her Ex-husbands family tiara? Could someone maybe explain if this is a family heirloom or maybe some gift to the bride from the Marichalar family.....Interesting dress. Very spanish.
I read somewhere in her jewel thread that it was made for her, for the wedding not a family heirloom, but it's not official no one really knows the truth but her I guess lol.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Courtier

MT de Luxembourg's tiara looked like a bit of a joke. I've always thought it was too big for her, and this hairstyle made it look more outrageous than ever. She has lovely hair, and I still think that the right coiffeur might help carry off that giant tiara. As is, she looked like the tiara was crushing her.

I can't find (or maybe just can't identify) many of the more minor royals and aristocrats mentioned in some of the previous posts. Can anyone post links to the pictures of the specific individuals/tiaras being mentioned?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

Queen Rania's tiara shouldn't even be considered a tiara. What a pointless piece of jewellery. Break it up and make a bracelet!
It is a bracelet, by Boucheron. I was puzzled too why she didn't wear one of her substantial tiaras but I guess she wasn't going for the bejeweled look at the wedding. You can find more info. in her jewellery thread.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
MT de Luxembourg's tiara looked like a bit of a joke. I've always thought it was too big for her, and this hairstyle made it look more outrageous than ever. She has lovely hair, and I still think that the right coiffeur might help carry off that giant tiara. As is, she looked like the tiara was crushing her.

It's really quite an impressive piece, but I agree that it can look odd on her because she is not very tall. But, with the right hairstyle she has pulled if off before. That pony tail at Victoria's wedding was just awful and did not do the tiara any justice.

Here she is wearing it with a much better hairstyle. Unfortunately, I 'm not certain of the event.
http://i48.tinypic.com/358q7wm.jpg
Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Serene Highness

The piece is very grand because it's Romanov. It was brought by Grand Duchess Elizabeth Mikhailovna (a granddaughter of Paul I) when she married Adolphe, Duke of Nassau and future Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Sadly, she died in childbirth shortly after the marriage, but tiara remained in the family. Her cousin, Grand Duchess Alexandra Nikolaevna shared a similar fate. Alexandra was given diamond sheaves of wheat upon her marriage into the House of Hesse-Kassel. Before she even made the journey to Hesse, she died in childbirth, but the diamond sheaves did and remained with the House of Hesse.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Serene Highness

I know I'm a minority here, but I happened to like Queen Rania's tiara and jewels. Tasteful, low key and elegant. Jordan is a poor country, let's remember that.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I know I'm a minority here, but I happened to like Queen Rania's tiara and jewels. Tasteful, low key and elegant. Jordan is a poor country, let's remember that.
I liked it as well. A lot of people went on and on about how tiny and unimpressive it was, but I really don't think that there was anything wrong with it. My only complaint was that Queen Rania's hair didn't do her tiara any justice.

When you wear a smaller tiara, your hair should be impeccable. The hanging locks of hair made her hairstyle look messy and the tiara unimpressive. Had she not let those locks fall and simply put everything up it would have made a huge difference. The rest of her hair was very nice and it would have shown the tiara off much better if all of hair were pulled up.

I thought that the tiara was different and that it was pretty. I guess that we are in the minority together.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness

I also wish Sophie had wore her Aquamarine tiara. I actually don't mind her Wedding Tiara, but the Aquamarine one suits her and also frames her face better.

Clicking on one of the links on the first page brought up this classic boo boo over at Getty Images when it comes to captions...

Quote:
STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN - JUNE 19: Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium and Crown Princess Letizia of Spain appear on the Lejonbacken Terrace after their wedding ceremony on June 19, 2010 in Stockholm, Sweden. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)
Really!?! I guess it far more of a historic Wedding than any of us ever knew...ROTFLOL!!! ;o) :oD
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
I liked it as well...
Actually y'all have a third member of the club. Because Rania is so thin with such angular features, I didn't find the tiara to be a problem. I rather agree with you that the hairstyle, while "fashion-forward", wasn't appropriate for wearing a tiara of any size (see the early days of Princess Gloria of Thurn und Taxis).

In addition, the entire effect of Queen Rania's presentation would have been more appreciated and less criticized IMHO if she had demonstrated any sort of enthusiasm/sincerity in her demeanor. Most of the time she appeared with more of a smirk/half-smile on her face (listen up, Letizia!) and in the official group shot she is actually smiling a broad, normal (albeit posed) smile. All of the plastic surgery Rania's has had obviously hasn't prevented her from smiling, that is what made her so disappointing.

She is a beautiful woman, but if she continues with the surgeries, she is approaching the Marina Doria, Camilla Crociani, Begum Inaara zone and will look freakish.