Tiaras And Hair

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Josefine said:
I found this at corbis, its Queen Sonja

This tiara was first used by Desiree Clary, Napoleon's fiance, they never get married but she keep the jewel as a personal gift; when she married Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte she become in Queen of Sweden and Norway and the jewel become a kind of a crown property and heritage and have being passing over to Desiree's descendants, among them the actual King Harald of Norway.

Last edited:
Queen Sonja's tiara and hair are gorgeous in that picture. It really goes well with the overall tiara shape. A pretty tiara can look really ugly with the wrong hair. I think tiaras with pointy edges (like the Baden Fringe - Crown princess Victoria) look better with a curvy up-do (like Sonja's), it gives the tiara a more soft and beautiful effect.

While curvy tiaras, like the Swedish Buttons should be worn with a more angled hair style (am I making any sense?)
This "round" hairstyle http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image=31yh.jpg is not good for the Button Tiaras. It doesn't look good on the person and doesn't complement the tiara very well.

Last edited:
I agree with you socal girl.

This magnificient Tiara wich is make out of emeralds (is a shame not to have a better picture, the principal emerald is square) along with the emerald collar it was a present from Napoleon to her famous first wife Josefine.

The picture is scanned from an old magazine and hosted by myself.​

The Queen Mother with her daughter, Princess Margaret, inside the Irish State Coach. Princess Margaret wears her mother Diamond Scroll Tiara.

:rolleyes: Have anyone seen a picture of Victoria wearing a tiara with a ponytail?:rolleyes:

Thankyou for all the beautiful pic's. This thread is a great inspiration for me to make my diamond wedding tiara.

Who's the second lady in your post, Adry?

crisiñaki said:
Who's the second lady in your post, Adry?
She`s Katharine, Duchess of Kent, mother of Lady Helen Taylor

Last edited:
that is a Queen's tiara and only looks good after certain age, not for the youngers;)

does anyone think they get tired of dressing up and wearing jewels and tiaras?

You know, it is just my opinion, but I think given the origins of Tiara's, they deserve a complicated hair ensemble. Think backto when tiaras were first used. The hair was not washed often andit was easier to manipulate into complex coiffure. For goodness sakes, women would often have a whole bird cage in their hair (this is FACT).

These are precious items that are very special, and should thus not just be thrown on the head willy nilly. I applaud and appreciate the time and effort that these women put into their dress! They know that people wait for it now just as they did in centuries past, and make preperations accordingly!

A tiara should be treated with respect by the people who are priviledged enough to wear that bit of history on their head!

Camilla's debut of the Boucheron diamond tiara

CamillaGrevilleTiaraMar06.jpg

Picture originally posted by Warren, "The Great" Super Moderator;)

Melania said:
That is a pretty tiara. One of the prettiest I've seen. I don't think she should try on any others anytime soon, it would be better to give us time to get used to how beautiful it is. I would hate to see a news report the Duchess's latest tiara. On a different note, these tiaras definately make up for her hair, not that her hair isn't pretty, it's just been the same for so many years. Nice to see a little glamour with her.

Even though the Duchess' hair has been the same for decades, I believe it is maybe the most suitable style for this impressively gorgeous piece of headgear. :D

Camilla need a large tiara when she has so much hair a smaller tiara need a lady with her hair up so the tiara can be seen thats my opinion

I think that Queen Silvia wins hands down for the best hairstyles with a tiara. Her stylist deserves an award, I'm serious!
Very creative twists and knots, with pearls or diamonds woven into the hair creates such a magical almost 'fairytale' image of what I've always thought a queen should look like.
With very few exceptions, it's my opinion that if a woman has long hair, it should most definitely be worn 'up' when donning a tiara.
Camilla's hair is all wrong wrong wrong for tiara wear, it's too 'wide' and the lines of the honeycomb tiara did nothing but emphasize that fact. Hopefully someone will do an intervention soon.

Emeraldeyes, you've got very sharp eyes too.
Meaning:
I agree with every word you say. The Delhi Durbar Tiara was bad enough on Camilla, along with the spider web dress and her short hair blown up as wide as possible, trying to make at least some sense of it, but now this...
Yikes. I had not seen this pic before, and I can't imagine what they were thinking putting yet another big tiara on that hair and combined with yet another spiderweb dress too: It's almost a joke.
really hoped they would be reasonable enough to keep the Boucheron / Cartier tiara in the vaults for a few more years to come, until the close identification with Queen Mum would have passed.
As far as your opinion of the art of Queen Silvia wearing tiaras goes, again I couldn't agree more.
Right now, her and Camilla DC are the exact opposites of how (NOT) to wear a tiara... Queen Silvia being the magnificent best and the Duchess making a good effort of becoming the hopeless worst among all female Royals, IMO.

Thanks Boris, you are too kind. :)

My husband is a hairstylist and I am a trained aesthetician, so I know a little about what I'm pontificating about...
I agree with you about those spider-web dresses. Now that the Dss of C has started to get things right for her daytime look, we can only hope someone begins to take her evening selections to another place (the current crop can go straight to the rubbish bin!).

My personal opinion might be biased, but when it comes to the subject of "Tiara And Hair", nobody among any Queens or CPs does it better than Qeen Silvia.
A perfect, beautiful blend of the current and the ancient way of wearing a tiara. She's been experimenting a lot over the years, including additional jewel hair ornaments and hair extensions, but the result has always been beautiful; doesn't matter if it's the Nobel ceremony which gets media coverage globally, or the recent state visit from Botswana which won't exactly get recognized that much:
It seems that she doesn't give a damn how much media coverage she'll get, she just puts a lot of effort into getting it right & period. Hats (or tiaras?) off to her. Great style!

curly hair

hi i have a question, do you know of any royal females who have natural curly hair and keep it because they all seem to straighten it even when wearing a tiara, except diana, princess of wales when her hair was short and curly and princess letizia (but hers is natural straight) ?

Tiaras and Hair

My personal favorite is Maxima's wedding tiara - just gorgeous and her hair was perfectly done for it. Mary's wedding tiara was boring and barely sparkled, although well placed on hair and veil.

if we talk about the princesses

i think victoria does at times great and a bit more with her hair when wearing tiaras i am thinking of the nobel 2001

Mary has done some great hairstyles with her tiara but her hair can be to big

Maxima did wear some extantion at the wedding in norway before her own wedding but to me it looked to barbie

Alexandra do need to try different styles with hergala hairstyle it has looked the same for many years

Mette-marit has done it at times i like her at the danish wedding in 2004 simple but hairstyle with style when wearing a small tiara

Letiza has varied her hairstyle what at gala and that i like

Madeleine do like her hair curly i woild like to seee her wearing her hair up but with some extra finess next time we see her in gala

zarzuela said:
I agree. It just looks too much.

The ruby tiara is not one of my favorites. The set overwhelms Mary; there is too much going on and it really doesn't fit her head correctly.

Now, Mary's wedding tiara looks great on her; fits her head and style perfectly.

I must admit I do really like the way the Duchess of Cornwall wore both the Delhi Durbar and the The Boucheron Diamond Honeycomb Tiara. Imo, her hair suited perfectly with them. Only Queen Mary could have worn them better, imo.
I also love Queen Silvia and Queen Sofia wearing tiaras. They look very regal.

Back
Top Bottom