The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Marie's hairstyles over the past few days look amazing on her. Her, as well as Crown Princess Mary's, hair type are very similar to mine, and they are helping me in deciding the hairstyle I need for my upcoming wedding. My tiara is my current profile pic, and I am researching their current hairstyles with their tiaras.

Does anyone know of any European princesses who have/had a similar tiara with medium to long hair?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I loved MM's hairstyle on the third night with the daisy tiara. Reminded me of Grace Kelly and showed off MMs gorgeous face!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maxima's hair looks interesting.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Some more great pictures of MM's hairdo
http://lotta.svenskdam.se/files/2010...eGalaFrisy.jpg
http://lotta.svenskdam.se/files/2010...theGalaFri.jpg
http://lotta.svenskdam.se/files/2010..._122_448lo.jpg

Old 04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

lovely phtos, thank you so much!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Aristocracy

Are there any examples of European princesses having their hair with a half-updo and tiara? I've seen a few of late on Crown Princess Mary, Princess Marie and Crown Princess MM, but they mostly have then in a full updo.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

For me, when CPss Mary wears her wedding tiara (which I personally love), I much prefer her hair to be lower than the top of the tiara, so it sticks out more. For example, this picture of her at the 1st of the gala functions for Queen Margrethe's birthday shows how I think the tiara should look when she wears it:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1...20looks201.jpg

In the following picture, the tiara gets lost in her hair and doesn't really shine as much.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...CI2Nn/610x.jpg
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

thank you for the photos lovely, i notice the sashes are diferents anyone knows what it is the difference, hups , may be this is not the right forum to ask, but i saw the photos and i wonder.......
Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
thank you for the photos lovely, i notice the sashes are diferents anyone knows what it is the difference, hups , may be this is not the right forum to ask, but i saw the photos and i wonder.......

In the first picture, Mary is wearing the Order of the Elephant, which is of course the highest Danish order. In the second photo, she's wearing the Order of Beneficence, which is a Greek order, and it's only for women; hence why only Mary is wearing it.

You can read more about it here --> Order of Beneficence (Greece) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Having looked carefully at both photos the only real difference I can see is that Mary's hair colour is darker in the second photo and thus highlights the tiara moreso than the other.

I also think that the dramatic red of her dress highlights the jewels whereas the severe hairstye with the pale blue feminine softness of the dress seemed to have somehow subdued both her necklace and tiara. Perhaps the difference really lies in the hairstlye, elegant in dramatic red but a softer style in blue would have complimented her jewelry.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Does each princess travel with a hairdresser for these galas or do they have people recommended by the country they are vsiting?

I was just wondering as I am sure they don't do their hair themselves - well I certainly couldn't do my own Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that each princess has a traveling retinue that goes with them; their lady-in-waiting, an assistant and probably a stylist to help with hair/makeup for gala dinners or events.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I noticed that, especially when I saw the Camilla ones. I've never seen her in the Hanoverian fringe tiara. And Camilla wearing the Cambridge lover's knot tiara probably gave Diana fans a heart attack.

Photo 88 is labeled "Masako" even though the woman is clearly Princess Kiko of Japan.
EmpressRouge, I love your quote at the bottom "Real princesses always wear sleeves so why do we all go for strapless? " This is EXACTLY what I think! This is why I got a Bolero jacket to wear over my strapless wedding gown - no wedding gown comes with sleeves today, which is disappointing.

Which brings me to another point - princesses always wear their hair up for special events, ESPECIALLY for their weddings. Wearing your hair down in a formal ceremony is just a major faux pas for me. I love looking at photos of their elaborate hairstyles - they are all so beautiful! CP Letizia inspired me for my wedding hairstyle:
http://mandysroyalty.org/royal_rep/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/peinado4.jpg
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Billed-Bladet - Diademer fra Margrethes fødselsdag på Fredensborg
nice photos in the billed bladet
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

A princess is not defined by what she wears or what her hair looks like, but how she carries herself. Elaborate hairstyles are nice to look at yes, but they don't make or break a person. I've seen some gorgeous strapless dresses, in fact CP Victoria wore one during the birthday festivities for Queen Margrethe -- the black and white horizontal stripe. Is she not a Princess?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Commoner

This is a good question. I think that a tiara should sit a little forward on the top of the head. It should have a graceful arc that bends down the sides of the head, with hair covering it right at the end behind the ears. Hair should usually be up, but if not, then at least gathered half-way up (like Princess Marie of Denmark during QM's birthday).

Elizabeth II wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara perfectly. Not that I'm biased or anything!

If anyone has a picture of the back of the Queen's head, wearing this particular tiara, you will see what I mean. Princess Leti wears her tiaras very gracefully, as well.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
A princess is not defined by what she wears or what her hair looks like, but how she carries herself. Elaborate hairstyles are nice to look at yes, but they don't make or break a person. I've seen some gorgeous strapless dresses, in fact CP Victoria wore one during the birthday festivities for Queen Margrethe -- the black and white horizontal stripe. Is she not a Princess?
You are right - one's deportment is crucial. Many princesses do pull off a sleeveless gown quite well, but there's just something about sleeve styles that make a dress unique, and gives insight into the taste of the lady.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well Queen Elizabeth, certainly doesn't have her hair up when she wears tiara.
Princess Mary of Denmark has worn the Ruby Parue Tiara when her hair has been down, many a time, and has looked just as stunning as when he hair is wound up.
Sister Morphine is correct it's how a princess carries herself wearing the Tiara, not how she wears it.
But yes I do agree, that with an up-do a Princess looks more beautiful. Especially when we get a picture of the back, and it's all beautifully intricate.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Imo a tiara looks way more elegant with a nice updo then with loose hair.
I prefer seeing pictures of Letizia with beautiful hairdos (like the one MandysRoyalty posted) instead of using her tiara with loose hair.
The same goes for Mary and everyone else. Just my opinion.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do agree that up-dos can be beautiful when done right, but here's some pictures of Mary wearing the Ruby Parure tiara with loose hair and she looks magnificent:

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/DWF15-714709.jpg

http://www.fashionrat.com/images/pri...donaldson1.jpg

http://www.greatnorthroad.org/bboard...a-princess.jpg

If you're going to wear your hair loose and smack a tiara on top, the hair must be styled right, otherwise it looks like you just rolled out of bed and put it on your head.

Tags
hair, jewellery, tiaras