The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Here's a very good side-view of Mary's Tiara-hairdo at the wedding last Saturday:

Picture

(Royals.web-log)

Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Majesty

and here we got Queen silvia agin its from 1991

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...C8B120B36EE9E8

Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Gentry

some royal women cant wear tiars well. fr some reason its like that with most british royal women. the late princess diana and the countess of wessex as well as the late princess margaret wear them well where as queen elizabeth and her mother dont. it just looks like an old women wearing tiaras on top of hair lol. i dont like how queen sofia wears hers either. but the swedish royal family makes their tiaras look beautiful. maybe its becuz of the long hair? but in my opinion...the royal ladies of the victoian era wore tiaras very well. i think that tiaras should be woren with the hair up
Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Commoner

I think the longer hair really makes a difference. But Princess Diana had very short hair for most of her life (except that one period when the boys were very young), and she looked fabulous in tiaras. Maybe because her shorter hair was styled better than the Queen's and Queen Mum's.

Queen Silvia is perhaps the best tiara-wearer of the royal lot...and she wasn't born royal or noble, IIRC.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness

I think it has a lot to do with volume. Diana had short hair but since it was the 80s, she had a full crown of hair and pulled off those elaborate tiaras. Basically, big tiaras need big hair. Like CP Mary's hair at her pre-wedding dinner when she debuted the ruby parure. It's a very grand tiara, and I thought her hair was too flat. Her wedding tiara was smaller and delicate, but it got lost in the veil and big hair.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I think our Camilla does an excellent job, with her 1970s style big hair and the substantial tiaras she wears.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

With the exception of Princess Diana, who looked fabulous in tiaras, I think that brunette´s wear them best. Princess Mary in that wonderful ruby tiara couldn´t be bettered.
I don´t agree about the Queen and Queen mother though, I think they both wear/wore tiaras absolutely beautifully. What I don´t like is when you can see the velvet base of a tiara, the hair should cover this.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Royal Highness

Completely agree! QEII wears tiaras quite well; I enjoy seeing the photos of when she was younger wearing them. My only "issue" with her is that we seem to same ones all the time. I'd like to see her "mix-it up" a bit every now and again. And, Mary in that ruby parue was stunning at the pre-wedding dinner. I honestly believe she is without question the most beautiful Crown Princess (Maxima is a close second and my personal favorite, but one must be objective!).
As for Diana--she wore mainly the Spencer tiara, which was not very elaborate at all--and not terrribly large in height. It suited that short hairstyle perfectly. Perhaps that, and the headaches, is why we didn't see her in anything else? It would have been hard to pull off the Durbar with short hair! I also thought that while she could wear the Lover's Knot well, it never looked as good on her as the Spencer because of the hairdo and the tiara height. She looked good, but for comparision, the Spencer suited her much better. Now, she would have looked fantastic in that Papryrus tiara of Princess Margaret's, or the Greek Key tiara of Princess Anne's--because they follow the same general style of the Spencer tiara. But, all the others had too much going on to really suit her.
BTW, I prefered the Princess with the longer hair--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana to start with had wonderful hair, my hairdresser told me at the time that many women came with a picture of her wanting the same hair style but without her hair it was a vain hope.
The only tiara I have really taken a dislike to is the button tiara from Sweden, I don´t think it would look good even on Queen Sylvia.
Princess Maxima looks fabulous in any headgear, both hats and tiaras look gorgeous on her and hats look wonderful on Princess Mary too. I wonder what that certain quality is that makes some women look so fabulous wearing a hat (or tiara) and others, like me, just look like some strange mushroom.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Nobility

for me theire is two royals women wearing wear tiars well , queen elizabeth II and princess Maxima , i agree with jcbcode99 , queen elizabeth repeate the same tiara all the time , but she looks really fabulouse in any tiara.
princess maxima looks fabulous in any tiara,she is a true princess!
also the big hats look gorgeous on her and hats look wonderful on duchess camilla too.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

CP Mary's hair & tiara are wonderful!
ANP Beeldbank
Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Delight View Post
CP Mary's hair & tiara are wonderful!
ANP Beeldbank
CP Mary wears tiaras so beautifully! I can't think of time she "missed" when in a tiara.

A good example of a nice tiara but bad hairdo: http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.ph...11-2008%20Gala
Normally, I think the Grand Duchess looks lovely, but this time she needed an updo with that tiara centered around it--maybe the piece wasn't flexible enough--but it just didnt' work. Nice to see a new tiara, though.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I liked the tiara worn by the Grand Duchess, but it just looked too small for her. I think that even with her hair up, it would still look to small. I do think that it would look very lovely on her daughter, Princess Alexandra.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree that this time she doesn't look good.
But imagine different hairdo, make-up and maybe hair colour... blond like Tessy's.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
CP Mary wears tiaras so beautifully! I can't think of time she "missed" when in a tiara.
I don't think it was Mary's fault. The more I look at that tiara, the less I like it. It looks like a lot of wiring standing up. I don't she stood a chance at her wedding. The lace veil was so intricate and opaque that the tiara was bound get lost in that high hair-do. On the other hand, I don't think one can wear that tiara with flat hair; it needs to be displayed against a high up-do.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

On her wedding ceremony I have big problem to saw her tiara. I thought that it's terrible piece as Empress wrote it was tha fault of her veil.
Now I think that's nice jewel but Mary shouldn't forget how or maybe with what hairdos she should wear it.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Royal Highness

I thought she looked lovely:
Google Image Result for http://www.royal-magazin.de/daenemark/Bilder/wedding-tiara-mary-04.jpg

however, upon seeing this picture:
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/6171/508371699zl.jpg I have to say I concede the point about the lace. But, I still think she was a beautiful bride.
truly, she was a beautiful bride. If MT had worn the turquoise tiara in her hair the way Mary did on her wedding day I think it would have looked better.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes she looks lovely but I don't like the way how she wore her veil. Maybe because of her hairdo?

But do you remamber her tiara and hair n Carl Gustav's b-day party?
Don't tell me that she looks good.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...a-9075-21.html
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Princess Mette-Marit at M&F's Wedding:
http://i37.tinypic.com/28uofft.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/10pajbn.jpg
apa

http://i37.tinypic.com/2eg8k6s.jpg
scanpix
I love this Tiara hairdo.

Young CP Sonja - gorgeous hairdo (would love to see smth. like this on MM!)
http://i38.tinypic.com/2mpmkp0.jpg
scanpix

Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Yes she looks lovely but I don't like the way how she wore her veil. Maybe because of her hairdo?

But do you remamber her tiara and hair n Carl Gustav's b-day party?
Don't tell me that she looks good.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...a-9075-21.html
The problem was that the tiara and veil where placed to far back on the Head. She should have worn the veil in the same style then Alexandra of Berleburg and Alexia of Greece.

Royal Travel and Events

Tags
hair, jewellery, tiaras