The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Dear Thomas Parkman, it's always a joy to read your posts. The closest thing that came to a tiara disaster caught on camera which I remember happened to the late Princess Diana & was duly featured in one of those infamously staged TV documentaries about the cozy life of The Wales' in the mid-1980'.
Place: Australia, 1985; time: Arriving back to wherever the Wales' were staying after the good-bye gala dinner; incident:
Gloomy Princess Diana, in a gorgeous blue satin & lace evening gown, wearing her Saudi-Arabian sapphires & diamonds along with the Spencer tiara, has taken off her tiara (you can actually see that there's a rubberband in the back of the base - horror!). Holding the tiara in one hand and grabbing her skirt with both hands, she proceeds to march up some grand flight of stairs on her way to bed - only to realize that the tiara's diamonds have caught up with the lace of her skirt. She marches on, trying to unravel lace & tiara, finally gives up on it, straightens her back and soldiers on upstairs and out of the camera's sight, with the tiara still caught up in her dress and dark clouds appearing on the horizon beyond her rather grim face.
I never got over that rubberband. So much for securing tiaras in short hair.
You could it also see last year when Queen Sofia wore the Fleur-de-Lys Tiara in Thailand that there is a elastic band (or something like this) on some of the photos. I think so tiaras can also be worn i different shapes like when Grand Duchess Maria teresa wore the empire diamond Tiara on time more in the shape of a crown and more round like the other time.

Btw. I read somewher that 2 Queens (don't remeber exactla who it was i believe either Fabiola or Juliana was one of the 2) when the greeted each other the came to close with ther tiaras and the tiaras caught in each other.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-20-2007, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
... Or worse still, in the middle of 2,500 photographers at the state dinner for the royalty of such and such...
If only the line about the photographers was true Thomas. Unfortunately, apart from the formal pics of HM, the Duke and the guests of honour, pics of the galas at Buckingham Palace are few and far between.

Recent examples: there is just one grainy shot of Princess Anne's "mystery tiara" (which remains a complete mystery); the only pic of Camilla wearing the Queen Mother's Mrs Greville tiara was taken through a wet car window as she was driven through the Palace gates, and the most recent state visit produced no publicly-available pics of the female members of the Royal Family apart from HM. Why pictorial coverage of State Banquets is so restricted is yet another of those Windsor mysteries.

As to securing tiaras, most have special holes at the back of each end or taper through which elastic or ribbon is threaded.
Be thankful the securing strap is not worn under the chin.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Courtier

I don't know Warren, I remember a picture of one of these Indian Maharajas, no shrinking violets they, with this massive turban with ropes of diamonds, BIG DIAMONDS in chains as it were and now I realize they probably tied the whole glittering gorgeous mess to his massive hairy and bearded head. I just loved it. Plus necklaces and jewels everywhere.

I further have a picture in the Bible of some american heiress or whatnot with a tiara with the Saucy diamond and stands of pearls dangling off it and hanging down below her neck. We could start as new style. A diamond or pearl tiara tie on with bow-in diamonds no less, to secure the tiara to the head without massive amounts of 'transformations' to serve as an artificial platform for the contraption.

Of course in the 18th century women builty up these massive hairdos that were feet tall. In two cases in England the poor women's hair was so tall and greased together with so much fat that they caught fire from the ceiling candles and the poor women burned to death. A neat string of diamonds to tie the thing on is so much more elegant.

BTW, Warren and members, eat your heart out. I have just gotten courtesy of Amazon, the Bible, or Tiaras, a history of splendor by Geoffry C. Munn. I have been drooling for hours. The pictures are drop dead gorgeous. It is as good a chocolate. Cheers. Cheers. Cheers.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Thomas, you'll get a chuckle from the "don't mess with me" photograph of the Comtesse de Castiglione on page 246.
Mr Munn is better than chocolate!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Thomas, I was reading your post and thinking, he found a picture of an american with jewels in the bible?
And then I remembered who wrote that post.....
it's Thomas's Bible

Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren,

I have looked repeatedly at the enraged Comtesse de Castiglione and the words come repeatedly to mind: don't mess with me bubba. Would hate to meet the good woman in a dark alley, which seems to be the sort of place she would enjoy. A rather scandalous soul. I am not so sure I liked the tiara either. all the antiquarian stuff was rather wearying. But she is hilarious to look at but I would not care to be in the shoes of the poor Comte.

Of course Thomas bible, as opposed to the Bible, is really quite something. It has all those gorgeous pictures in it. Who cares about the text, whereas in the real thing there is all this often difficult, obscure but admittedly wonderful text that you must plow through and in my day memorize. A few well chosen photographs of the Pharoh of Egypt in his crowned glory or a few of Solomons jewel bedecked wives would certainly have helped things along nicely. Cheers.

PS. I wonder would it be possible or even of any interest to create a thread about ancient or classical diadems tiaras etc. HMMMM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Serene Highness

The Swedish women have their hairstyles down pat. They wear tiaras best (IMO).

It also seems like a lot of the ladies use hairpieces to add that extra something.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 06-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I liked the way the Queen Mother wore tiaras low around her head when she was the Duchess of York. She had a gorgeous short hair style and it suited her very much. She wore both the Strathmore Tiara and the Lotus Flower Tiara in that fashion.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think the young Duchess of York kept the same hair style she had as Queen Mother, long and in a bun in the back. (We wouldn't usually notice the bun because royals are rarely photographed from the back!) But I, too, liked the way she wore tiaras in those early days, almost like a headband.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
I liked the way the Queen Mother wore tiaras low around her head when she was the Duchess of York. She had a gorgeous short hair style and it suited her very much. She wore both the Strathmore Tiara and the Lotus Flower Tiara in that fashion.
If you'll notice other royal ladies of the same time - Astrid of Belgium for example - they were also wearing their tiaras in the same style: http://content.answers.com/main/cont...of_Belgium.jpg
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

Wearing a "bandeau" (Headband) was very much the fashion of the 1920s. So why not try it with a precious tiara. Many royal ladies did as you say.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Courtier

I have to say that I am glad to see the tiara-as-bandeau out of style. I think that it was rarely flattering to royal ladies. To me it always looks a bit dowdy in those old photographs. The exception in my books is Maria Jose d'Italia, who carried it off stunningly.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

A very interesting & beautiful hairdo and the Josephine Diamond Tiara

Sonja in Finland:
Back View

Front View

Side View

Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
I have to say that I am glad to see the tiara-as-bandeau out of style. I think that it was rarely flattering to royal ladies. To me it always looks a bit dowdy in those old photographs. The exception in my books is Maria Jose d'Italia, who carried it off stunningly.
It's not so different from what Diana did in Australia, when she wore her bracelet across her forehead. (Of course, most things looked lovely on Diana -- and I couldn't get away with it either!)
Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Courtier

I think the emerald choker/bracelet as a bandeau was a mistake on Diana's part. But since she was Diana, she could get away with such mistakes from time to time.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Majesty

wow one of my favorite thread are still going strong....
the way sonja wore her tiara and hair in Finland reminds me of Silvias why.

who looked the best at Haralds birthday gala,
Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Commoner

does any one know the address of "DANJEL SITE" for tiaras

Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Administrator

The pictures were removed from Danjel's site due to the breach of copyright law. See here.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

A wonderful tribute to the reigning Queen of the art of wearing a tiara, posted by maryjo on the GREMB. No-one beats Queen Silvia in this. Enjoy :

Glittering Royal Events Message Board: Re: The back view
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Nobility

I think Queen Silvia is taking her cues from the lovely and elaborate coiffures of the 1860s:

Evening Dress of the 1890's Pages

Mary Todd Lincoln Picture - Detail of Mary Todd Lincoln photograph

It makes sense as many of the tiaras we collectively drool over were being worn (or had been created) at that time anyway.

Tags
hair, jewellery, tiaras