Tiara history, traditions, protocols, metals and meanings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qweqaz

was just wondering, seing as these crowns are handed down from generation to generation, the size of the mens/ladies heads dont stay the same. what happens if the crown is too small?

crowns are generally a solid ring/circlet encrusted with jewels, so how do they make it fit?

I would assume that most of the few actual crowns, which are used very seldom, are made quite large. There might be mechanisms inside like smaller circle than the outer measure wich can be sized along the wearer. So, I guess that monarchs with big head is not a problem. ;)

The more often worn tiara is usually quite flexible and can have hinges, so that the tiara isn't actually a solid piece but made of several pieces. Some of the tiaras are even so flexible that they can be worn as necklaces when detached from their base. This flexibility allows the tiaras to be worn on different size of heads and in different angles depending on the fashion.

Many crowns were made to fit over wigs, so they are usually pretty big, and tiaras were usually made to fit over BIG hair-do's and wigs as well and are also wider rather than smaller.

ok i have a stupid question-if u r giving a taria what kind of package does it come it? does it come in a box or a bag for maybe a pouch? and do u keep it in a bank volt or do u have a special room just full of tiara. so u could say " lets not go through the dinning room to get to the kitchen but rather lets go through the tiara room."

semisquare said:
ok i have a stupid question-if u r giving a taria what kind of package does it come it? does it come in a box or a bag for maybe a pouch? and do u keep it in a bank volt or do u have a special room just full of tiara. so u could say " lets not go through the dinning room to get to the kitchen but rather lets go through the tiara room."

Tiaras usually have a hardcover case (see pics below). Some families have a vault at home, although many keep them at a bank vault. The Empress of Russia did indeed have a special room with glass cases so that she could give private tours to impress her guests. What I would give to be able to have seen THAT! btw, it's not a stupid question at all since storing tiaras is a problem most of us only dream of.

Attachments

• BELAstridStockholm.jpg
    BELAstridStockholm.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 856
  • FrenchSale2.jpg
    FrenchSale2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,571
  • SpanishFleurSet.jpg
    SpanishFleurSet.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,083
  • austriatiara.jpg
    austriatiara.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 24,393
  • TopazParure.jpg
    TopazParure.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,197
  • VanCleefJewels.jpg
    VanCleefJewels.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,295
So how do they keep the tiara's on? Are the pinned down or is there a elastic strip that goes around the head? Does anybody know?:)

HRHAmy said:
So how do they keep the tiara's on? Are the pinned down or is there a elastic strip that goes around the head? Does anybody know?:)
Most tiaras have clips or holes at the back for ribbon or elastic; if there is an open frame the hair (or hair extensions) can be woven around to secure it. Basically, whatever it takes depending on the hairstyle, the weight of the tiara, and the angle at which it is to be worn.

I was wondering about this when I saw the Martha-Louise jewellery thread. She wore her great-grandmother Maud's wedding tiara and Maud was a very small woman.

I wonder if she had it altered.

Martha-Louise

Well, apart from St Edward's crown, which is used in all the British coronations but isn't worn for very long, there's usually a new crown for each monarch. The Queen wore the Imperial State Crown that had been made for her father, but that was rather unusual.

I did not know where to place this and I did not want to start a new thread. If the Moderators can find a better place to place this question, I'm thanking you in advance.

I notice that alot of old Jewelry and Tiaras are made of gold covered with silver. Wouldn't they tarnish easy? Do they plate them with Rhodium? Any and all answers are welcomed!

michelleq said:
I notice that alot of old Jewelry and Tiaras are made of gold covered with silver. Wouldn't they tarnish easy? Do they plate them with Rhodium? Any and all answers are welcomed!
This thread will do michellq :). I was reading elsewhere that silver tiara frames and fittings do tarnish and require regular cleaning. I recall one person saying that he was surprised with the Spencer Tiara when it was on exhibition in the US because the frame was tarnished. That would indicate it hadn't been coated or plated to protect the sheen. Gold doesn't tarnish so much but is heavy and expensive. Platinum is also expensive, but is very strong and therefore less of it is needed to hold everything together. Hope this helps.

Perfect answer. Thanks again, Warren!

More tiaras are made of platinum or gold with or without silver. Some of them could be wear as a necklaces too. It's possible after take off a frame (hoop, arches?).

I always wondered how does a tiara convert into a necklace? Does it clip off or something?

General questions about royal jewels

What is the difference between a tiara and a diadem?
What is the difference between a coronet and a crown?

CasiraghiTrio said:
What is the difference between a tiara and a diadem?
What is the difference between a coronet and a crown?
Very broadly:
a tiara has an open back; a diadem is a circlet. A tiara is a jewelled head ornament; a diadem has resonance of sovereignty.
A coronet is a heraldic device denoting Nobility; a crown is a symbol of a Monarch or Sovereign Prince.
[Christian] crowns generally have arches surmounted by a cross (religious symbolism); Royal crowns have arches dipped at the centre, Imperial crowns don't.

Warren said:
Very broadly:
a tiara has an open back; a diadem is a circlet. A tiara is a jewelled head ornament; a diadem has resonance of sovereignty.
A coronet is a heraldic device denoting Nobility; a crown is a symbol of a Monarch or Sovereign Prince.
[Christian] crowns generally have arches surmounted by a cross (religious symbolism); Royal crowns have arches dipped at the centre, Imperial crowns don't.

Oh see I always wondered about the different styles of crowns. I didn't specify that in my question, but I got a bonus.:flowers:
thank you both, Warren and magnik.

Also, you may often see a tiara in German called a "diadem," as this is the word.

I definitely agree about silver tiaras tarnishing (esp. when they are not frequently used). My mother's family wedding tiara looked pretty shabby when it was taken out for my cousin's wedding a few years ago. It took professional cleaning to get it back into shape. Also, since it can be converted into a necklace (or was originally converted from one), a new frame was made because the old one had been bent. I am told that it is not uncommon for frames to be bent or even break over the years (this tiara hadn't been used since another cousin's wedding in 1989). Also, many hairpins are often used to help hold it in place.

Prince of Chota said:
Also, you may often see a tiara in German called a "diadem," as this is the word.

And in Dutch (diadeem) and in French (diademe), etc.

It is too late since 'the anglosaxon disease' already has affected the original meaning of the word 'tiara' too far, but what we see on ladies during a state banquet are diademes or bandeaus. But since English has become the lingua franca of internet, the (wrong) words are used in many articles and on boards and now it is like the word has always been 'tiara', which is not.

The same in spanish, as a rule people say 'diadema', though tiara is becoming more popular everyday.

I've also heard tiaras/diademe's called "coronita/s" in Spanish. This means small crown/petite crown.

why do some countries share around their tiaras, and some not? and how do they decide which ones to wear?

It may be a bit like chaos theory, but I speak four languages, and here write in English, so I don't ask too many questions...whatever gets the point across, I guess...

In English, I see "Diadem" used in close association with "circlet" because of various connotations that the word has acquired. Whatever the original meanings of these words, their use has been solidified into English along with "tiara"...I guess that in translation, one must be careful to avoid the false friend of "Diadem" for fear of sounding awkward. I usually will use "tiara" in English simply because it is the general English catch-all for diadems, bandeaux, and circlets.

But enough with the linguistics...I would also like to know if there is a particular reason for sharing jewels versus loaning them, etc. in various nations. My only guess is that it has to do with the legal status of the jewels, such as a trust that the entire collection is kept in, etc.

Tiaras and The Houses Of Gotha

So I venture to guess that each House of Gotha would wear the appropriate tiara, diadem, coronet etc to denote the status of the Royal House.

Jaya said:
So I venture to guess that each House of Gotha would wear the appropriate tiara, diadem, coronet etc to denote the status of the Royal House.
Not really; a tiara is a tiara and people wear what they have. The grandness of a tiara doesn't necessarily equate to the grandness or standing of the House.

Crowns and Coronets are actually uncommon to wear outside of the United Kingdom. Most monarchs in Europe have investiture ceremonies rather than coronations, now, so there really isn't as much of a use for crowns. Most of the nobility that would have used coronets has been mediatised or abolished as well, so you'll mostly ever see sovereign crowns used for official business. Their status as a symbol of state, however, remains fairly intact.

Royals Visiting non-Monarchies, Jewels and Orders

What is the general usage of tiaras and orders of the royals when in non-monarchies? (Such as when they visit the US)
Do they normally wear tiaras? Do they all have orders?

Please post pictures of orders from other countries.

Back
Top Bottom