The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Another rule which is no longer observed is that unmarried women don't wear tiaras. Afaik both Princess Margaret and Princess Anne wore tiaras before their wedding.
My theory with your statement is they wore them because they were the daughters of a reigning monarch at the time and as such were fully entitled to wear one.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Splendor 101: Tiara Rules

Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Thank you. This shades some light into the etiquette that can be rather confusifying .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

It's kinda funny how Queen Victoria wore a tiara at her child's baptism but not at her wedding!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
... snipped...I too wish Sophie could wear other tiaras but she is the wife of the youngest son of a Monarch, I don't imagine she'll get much more. I find that annoying though as she is the senior female who the Queen sends to represent her at so many occasions, you'd think one would provide her daughter-in-law with something beautiful. Meh. We just have to make do, as does Sophie, which I think she does beautifully. She's a beautiful woman, she doesn't need diamonds to look better!
I echo so much of your sentiments Molly, as I love tiaras too. I think one of the main problems is that strictly speaking, under British dress codes, tiaras are only worn with 'White Tie' and 'White Tie' occasions seem to be diminishing over the years. Most evening functions at which royalty are present seem to be 'black tie', when tiaras are not worn, although oddly enough, the party the Queen threw in 1990 to celebrate the Queen Mother's 90th birthday, Margaret's 60th birthday, Princess Anne's 40th and Andrew's 30th Birthday was a black tie affair but was also designated by the Queen as an event at which tiaras could be worn. [The explanation was that the Queen knew that ladies with tiaras loved to wear them but seldom had the chance, but the Queen did not want to designate the occasion as 'white tie' [which would automatically have meant that tiaras could have been worn] because the guest list included people across the whole social spectrum [for want of a better word] with jockeys, non-aristocratic young friends of Andrew etc who would all either have - or could borrow a Dinner Jacket ['black tie'] but would certainly not be likely to possess 'White Tie'

[For the record, although this thread is not of course about me, I am lucky enough to have a family tiara; apart from my wedding, I think I have worn it three more times in the last 25 years - twice in Scotland. I suppose this is also a reflection that social life is becoming less formal: recent example: Trousers are now permitted in the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot: in the 1960's the mere mention of the same as being suitable Royal Enclosure 'attire' would have caused people to have the vapours!!]

State Banquets are 'white tie' usually, as are 'return matches' thrown by Western heads of state during state visits. The State Opening of Parliament is a White Tie event; royals such as the Duke of York and Edward previously would have been in attendance by virtue of being Peers [royal dukes] and so their wives [Sophie] would have been in white tie along with all the other wives of Peers [non-royal] but since the reforms of the House of Lords, most hereditary peers [which includes Andrew, Edward, and come to that the Duke of Cambridge!!] no longer have any right to sit in the House of Lords, and so that is yet another 'white tie occasion' that has been lost for the royals.

The Jubilee events programme has not yet been finalised but if I am allowed to speculate, the general tone of what has been announced seems to be 'inclusive' and so I doubt if there will be a 'White tie' event. The bottom line therefore seems to be that Sophie has as many tiaras as she needs. [Don't forget that at the most prominent royal event in 2011 - the Royal Wedding - only the bride wore a tiara! Whilst tiaras would not have been worn in the Abbey by anyone else, in times gone by, an evening party in previous reigns would no doubt have been a 'white tie' [i.e. tiara] event
Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Why can't they not be more flexibel with tiaras at black tie Events. For example in Denmark at several occasion (and i heard also for the Evening at the Concert House for the Queen's Jubilee next week) the dresscode was black tie with tiara optional which meant the royala Ladies wore their smaller tiaras. Also in the Netherlands at several official Visits (not state Visits) at the the Banquet the dresscode was black tie but the royal Ladies wore tiaras.
Wonder why not nore Royal Houses adopt this.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Thank you for your interesting input Stefan.

Perhaps you can help me? Strict British dress code is 'White Tie and Tiara' as I have said. However, I know nothing about about formal dress codes for either Denmark or the Netherlands. Are tiaras officially worn with Black Tie anyway, or does the 'White Tie and Tiara rule' apply in Denmark and the Netherlands as well?

Thank you

Alex
Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Usually in Denmark and the netherlands it is White tie and tiaras. But in Denmark for the 70th and 75th birthdays of Prince Henrik and the 70th birthday of Queen Margrethe the dresscode was black tie but the royal ladies wore tiaras. At other black tie Events usually there are no tiaras worn but sometimes they wear it with black tie.

And in the Netherlands there have been official Vitis who have not been State Vitis but a banquet was given by Queen Beatrix and then the dresscode was not white tie but black tie and the royal ladies wore tiaras. And somethimes (but not always) they wear tiaras at State Visits abroad whre the dressscode for the State Banquet is black tie.

As you said in 1990 the Queen also hosted a party where the dresscode was black tie but tiaras could be worn. Wonder why she does this not more often.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Thanks again Stefan.

This is quite an interesting topic and one which could usefully be explored somewhere, as dress at Court and events where royalty is present is very interesting.

As I don't want to be accused again of taking a thread off topic, where is the proper thread to discuss it? It is not strictly to do with Sophie any more.

Thanks

Alex
Old 08-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Garrard's Jewelers created the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara in 1914.
What other tiaras were made by Garrard's?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Garrard's Jewelers created the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara in 1914.
What other tiaras were made by Garrard's?
I believe that Sarah, Duchess of York's tiara was made for her by Gerrard's for her wedding.

Tags
crowns, gold, jewellery, platinum, royal jewels, silver, tiaras, white tie