The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

It is probably the scroll tiara. This is a photo of her that pre-dates her wedding:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...crollTiara.jpg

Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you, Kimebear. That is really a lovely tiara, it's a shame we havent't seen it in, what, about 30-almost forty years now?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Courtier

I think the scroll tiara will not be seen until the next generations of royals are age appropriate to wear the tiara.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 08-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
Yes, but Mary has only worn her wedding tiara and the parure - never any other. I'm not sure about the others, I do remember at least 2 for MM to - possibly 3.
That wedding tiara and parure are so beautiful that if I were Mary I would never take them off, with her brunette looks she looks absolutely stunning.
Well to bed perhaps not, but I would be tempted.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
I think the scroll tiara will not be seen until the next generations of royals are age appropriate to wear the tiara.
I agree with you, Next Star. I think the reason why it seems so many of the younger royals don't have many tiaras is because their mothers/mothers in law are waiting to pass them on.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
What a beautiful piece!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I actually don't like tiara's on women under the age of 21. I think they look tacky.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont mind small elegant ones (such Mette Marit's perhaps) on princesses (by birth) over 18, but certainly not big dazzlers!
Not til at least 21
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Commoner

I think of tiaras as being mainly for adult women (i.e. 18 and over), but small ones can be appropriate for 16-17 year old princesses in certain situations. For example, Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg wore a small tiara to an event for her country's National Day celebrations this year, which I think was fine.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I think all tiara's, no matter the size, always look better on an adult woman...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
This might not be the best place for these questions but
Just how many tiara's does HM QEII own? And
What's the difference between a black tie event and a white tie event? I am afraid I cannot find my Amy Vanderbilt's book on etiquette. I have a niggling suspicion that Mr. Russo got rid of it as I have many, many books!!
A white tie event is more formal than a black tie one. By white tie events guests wear also decorations, white tie is used on the occasione of royal weddings (when not in the morning), official receptions of head of states and balls.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLouise View Post
I always wondered how does a tiara convert into a necklace? Does it clip off or something?
The jewelled portion is mounted on a wire frame (the frame's lower circular or open circle portion that sits on your hair is usually velvet wrapped), with tiny screws, and can be unscrewed when you wish to wear it as a necklace. The necklace setting will have been designed so you can do this, and the frame will have been constructed specifically to support the necklace.

I am lucky enough to own a diamond crescent brooch, and you can clearly see where the loop is where you would put in a teensy screw to affix it to a tiara mounting. There would probably have been five or seven of these crescents, all mounted on a diamond bandeau tiara frame; things like this got broken up so Mummie could give one brooch to each daughter.

So not only can you dismount tiaras into necklaces, some of them broke up into a series of brooches/pair of bracelets as well.

I also have a Georgian wild-rose brooch in rose-cut diamonds with a hanging festoon, which comes apart so you can wear the festoon part hooked to a pearl necklace and the big wild-rose center screwed into a ring or as a pendant on its own without the tremblant festoon. Clever Georgian designers!

The only tiara I ever owned was one in Hungarian garnets, dating from late Victorian times: a big center section with two smaller hinged wings, one on each side, and an elastic fastener in back that went under my hair. It was pretty, but I have red hair and the garnets didn't work too well with it, so I traded it in at my favorite antique jewelry dealer's place for I think a big heavy Austro-Hungarian emerald necklace.

That's the great thing about antique jewelry: it doesn't lose much if any value. You buy a two-carat diamond at Tiffany's, it loses two-thirds of its value the minute you walk out the door (for resale purposes). Most antique jewels don't do that.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
This thread will do michellq :). I was reading elsewhere that silver tiara frames and fittings do tarnish and require regular cleaning. I recall one person saying that he was surprised with the Spencer Tiara when it was on exhibition in the US because the frame was tarnished. That would indicate it hadn't been coated or plated to protect the sheen. Gold doesn't tarnish so much but is heavy and expensive. Platinum is also expensive, but is very strong and therefore less of it is needed to hold everything together. Hope this helps.
Additionally, when the Spencer tiara was made (Georgian period), the technology to cut diamonds for maximum brilliance as we see they today didn't exist. That didn't happen till early 20th century.

So, to give the usually rose-cut or, later, old-mine cut diamonds more sparkle, they were generally set in silver around the stones themselves, with gold underneath to give greater strength, as an all-silver setting would be too soft and bendy. White gold could also be used, but generally on Huguenot-made or -designed Georgian pieces, the settings were silver above, yellow gold below.

I've not seen the Spencer tiara to say for sure, but it's obviously a costly and well-made piece, so I'd speculate that this is how it was constructed. So, yes, the silver around the diamonds would indeed tarnish and need careful cleaning so as not to remove the patina. Nothing looks worse than a stripped silver setting with old stones; you really need the antique patina to make it look its best.

I only happen to know because when I started collecting old pieces, I was taught a lot about them by the dealers. My Georgian and Victorian pieces are almost all constructed this way: silver to give sparkle to the stones (and make diamonds look whiter and cleaner), gold to strengthen the framework of the piece. Also it's rather cheaper than an all-gold setting, which may have been a consideration.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a lot of the English Georgian jewelry designers/makers were refugee Huguenots from France, and pieces like the Spencer tiara were likely Huguenot-made. Please correct me, someone, if I'm mistaken.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I wonder if the tiny black specks were originally silver beads, which have tarnished over time? If so they would have looked lovely when new. Surprising materials when seen in close up - I love the satin-ribbon wheat ears.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Just how many tiara's does HM QEII own?
I think in Suzy Menkes' book it says she owns something like eleven major ones? Though I'd like to know what constitutes a "major" tiara from a "minor" one!

Oh, here it is from "The Royal Jewels": I'll condense.

"Granny's tiara": Girls of Great Britain, obviously.
sunray wedding day tiara, inherited as necklace from George IV
Queen Alexandra's Russian fringe
Indian regal tiara (the ruby one the Queen Mum wore all the time; reset from opals)
Cambridge emeralds
sapphire tiara made to go with George VI's wedding gift to her
aquamarines
new rubies
King Faisal diamonds
Nizam of Hyderabad rose bandeau
lover's knot given to Diana
a dozen more in store, according to Menkes

presumably including the Boucheron and honeycomb, or are they the same?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Administrator

How a tiara is made

Courtesy of Luke at RJOTWMB

Here is a video produced by jewellers Chaumet on the making of a tiara:

History Chaumet Joseph Chaumet: Master of the Diadem (1852-1928)

(note: it takes a little while to load)
Old 05-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

That's a very interesting video, Warren! Thanks for posting it.
I wonder how many tiaras are still made today, and for which people? At least European royalty does not buy new tiaras that often. Who apart from royalty would order their own tiara? And than there must by a number of other juwellers who also make tiaras, like Garrards and Cartier.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count View Post
A white tie event is more formal than a black tie one. By white tie events guests wear also decorations, white tie is used on the occasione of royal weddings (when not in the morning), official receptions of head of states and balls.
thank you for the explanation, so what is the dress code for white event and what it is for black tie even in men and women?
what about if i was very rich and i wanted to buy a tiara , would i able to use it?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc View Post
Here's my favourite tiara: The Brunswick diamond Tiara - Have a look - Click here and here
when royal princesses waer tiaras for functions do you think that they pay a hairdresser to be on hand to fit the jewels in their hair
its seems to me that it would awfully complicated to do it for ones self
Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

i am sure they have somebody doing her hair and pining the tiara for them, just to look perfect like they look!

Tags
crowns, gold, jewellery, platinum, royal jewels, silver, tiaras, white tie