The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Fair point, but it is a big event, and they need to have a fair few royals around to mingle and work the crowd. The Sussex 's will be the equivalent of the Gloucester and Kent 's of this generation.
Interestingly, although the diplomatic reception is often one of the biggest events in a year in terms of the number of guests, and it is a very formal function seemingly meant to show off the monarchy at its glittering best, the royal crew brought in for it is usually fairly small.

Last year, the circular only listed The Queen, Charles and Camilla and William and Kate as being there. In contrast, for the most recent state dinner the Queen also called on Sophie, Anne and Tim, the Gloucesters, the Duke of Kent and Princess Michael. There must be something fundamentally different from state dinners about how the reception is structured that they don’t feel a need for as big a supporting team to extend the work of hosting.

I think we can definitely expect Harry and Meghan to start showing up to state dinners before too long (but likely not be included in the official, posed photo or seated at the head table), but I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see them at a diplomatic reception during the Queen’s lifetime. Perhaps when Charles is King.

All that said, I’m guessing Kate and Camilla will stick with their favorites: Cambridge Lover’s Knot and the Greville.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Majesty

Here's to HM inviting the Sussexes, Wessexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It could be that the Queens other children attend but stay already in the Palace and therfore we get no pics from them as don't get inside pics of it. Once there was a clip if it in a documentary Princess Alexandra was in it.

So my guess is those who attend State Banquets also attend the Diplomatic reception but not all are pictured.
I think the BRF need to update things such as the way they handle State Banquets, State Dinners, the Diplomatic Reception and various other official events by doing as the Danes and Swedes do and televising the arrivals up to the seating of the Monarch. It is in that way that the people will get to see and understand the diplomatic and political purpose of such events but also allow for pride in the setting and splendour of both the venue and the hosts.

Okay, coincidentally we would have the chance for lots more tiara guessing as we would see more of the Royals and their historical jewellery.

But tell me, anyone from Denmark and Sweden, is there a feeling of pride at seeing your Royal Family resplendent in all their finery and an even an greater national pride as their (your government's) guests file into the banqueting hall with all its glittering chandeliers, silverware, crystal, flickering candles and floral table settings?

Does it not give you a sense of what part the Royals play in your democracy?

Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

For the last state visit to the Netherlands in December, I think Maxima will wear queen Emma's diamond tiara.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post

Also, it has been confirmed that Madeleine will not attend the Nobels (once again). So we can leave her out of our guesses. Furthermore, I don't think that Princess Cristina will attend any more. She has announced her retirement this year and will probably not make an exception for the Nobels.

It has been confiormed that Pricness Christina and her husband will attend the Nobel Prize Awards ceremony. So we will at at last on the 10. get to see 4 swedsih tiaras. My guess is that Priincess Christina will wear again the six-button tiara as that one seems to be her favourite in the last years.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It has been confiormed that Pricness Christina and her husband will attend the Nobel Prize Awards ceremony. So we will at at last on the 10. get to see 4 swedsih tiaras. My guess is that Priincess Christina will wear again the six-button tiara as that one seems to be her favourite in the last years.
Oh, that's lovely! I always enjoy seeing Princess Cristina, and currently she's the only Swedish royal who looks really good with the 6 buttons tiara. It's probably most likely that she wears it again, but I hope for something different. Maybe she can don the aquamarine kokoshnik this year? Or I'd love to see her with the amethyst tiara.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, that's lovely! I always enjoy seeing Princess Cristina, and currently she's the only Swedish royal who looks really good with the 6 buttons tiara. It's probably most likely that she wears it again, but I hope for something different. Maybe she can don the aquamarine kokoshnik this year? Or I'd love to see her with the amethyst tiara.

I would also love to see her with the amethyst tiara. The purrple stones would üprobably look great in her white hair. But as she hasn't worn it yet it doesn't seem to be likely.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I usually don't like the button tiaras, but I do think Cristina wears the 6-button well. Plus, it's just nice that we're going to get to see her again in spite of her retirement. But it would be nice to see her in the amethyst tiara
Old 11-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would also love to see her with the amethyst tiara. The purrple stones would üprobably look great in her white hair. But as she hasn't worn it yet it doesn't seem to be likely.
Oh, she has worn it at least once, at the SV from Japan. Only, the photos from the event don't show her well. But check out this pic; Cristina is on the far left:
https://www.gettyimages.de/fotos/638...t=best#license
Still, I agree that it's not likely that she will wear it again. It's clearly not a favourite of hers, or she would have worn it more often.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Oh, she has worn it at least once, at the SV from Japan. Only, the photos from the event don't show her well. But check out this pic; Cristina is on the far left:
https://www.gettyimages.de/fotos/638...t=best#license
Still, I agree that it's not likely that she will wear it again. It's clearly not a favourite of hers, or she would have worn it more often.
That photo is just a tease! Too bad it wasn't clearer, it looks as though the amethysts suited her very well.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Tiara day is coming up for the senior Royal Women of Windsor on the 4th: Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps at Buckingham Palace.

Who will wear what? Who won’t wear what? What’s gonna go down?

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well first off who all is gonna be there? Harry/Meghan joining them?

Queen: Girls of GB&I
Camilla: Delhi Durbar (fingers crossed it's not the Greville)
Kate: QM Lover's Knot

If they go, not sure they do normally:

Sophie: Aquamarine
Anne: Meander
Meghan: Lotus or perhaps the Teck that Camilla is holding onto? Maybe even QM Sapphire Bandeau tiara...that would be awesome to see.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well first off who all is gonna be there? Harry/Meghan joining them?

Queen: Girls of GB&I
Camilla: Delhi Durbar (fingers crossed it's not the Greville)
Kate: QM Lover's Knot

If they go, not sure they do normally:

Sophie: Aquamarine
Anne: Meander
Meghan: Lotus or perhaps the Teck that Camilla is holding onto? Maybe even QM Sapphire Bandeau tiara...that would be awesome to see.

I don't think Sophie and Anne normally attend. If they do, we don't see them (coverage of the DR itself is very limited).

I don't expect Meghan to be there either. If she is, she won't wear the Teck crescent, which is allegedly on loan to Camilla.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Who won't wear what?

Now, that's a nice one! Prince Charles won't wear the Vladimir tiara, I'm 1000 % sure!
I guess that we won't see the Queen this year. Kate will probably wear the lover's knot tiara. And for Camilla I guess the Shand tiara, or at least I hope that she will wear something other than the over used honeycomb tiara.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes I know Camilla has the Teck that's why I said perhaps the Teck Camilla is holding onto...of course Camilla could loan it to Meghan.

I don't remember about Anne/Sophie attending so I tossed it in there just in case..same with Meghan, if they attend.

If Meghan does go..the tiara choice will be interesting.

LaRae
Old 12-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yes I know Camilla has the Teck that's why I said perhaps the Teck Camilla is holding onto...of course Camilla could loan it to Meghan.

LaRae

The tiara is not hers to loan. She would be loaning a loan, i.e. subletting in real estate terminology, which would be inappropriate IMHO.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm guessing the Lover's Knot for Catherine, and the Honeycomb for Camilla (however, I'd break out the confetti if she wore anything at all different and same for Catherine). For some reason I wonder if the Queen will wear the modern sapphire. It's less massive than some of the other options--if not, it's probably the usual GGBI.

I'd love to see Meghan, but as it looks as though this event is mostly confined to the Queen, PoW and PoW's heir, that seems like a long shot. If she is there, either the Papyrus, or something we haven't seen in a while (or ever ;-))
Old 12-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think Sophie and Anne normally attend. If they do, we don't see them (coverage of the DR itself is very limited).

Actually coverage of the Event is non-existent apart from the few Car pics we get from the Royals arriving. Therefore i don't care much for it. I remember when Catherine debut the Lovers Knot tiara for it we could opnly guess it from the pics as only a bit of the side of the tiara copuld be seen in the Car pics.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I’m guessing that Harry and Meghan will attend because of Harry’s new role as the Commonwealth’s Youth Ambassador.

I don’t think Camilla will stray away from her usual Honeycomb Tiara. Catherine will probably wear her Queen Mary’s Lovers Knot or Lotus. Although it would be nice to see her wear her wedding tiara, the Cartier Scroll. If the Sussex’s attend...I can see Meghan pulling out a tiara we haven’t seen for some time.

The men will be in Court Dress (white tie) with orders. Harry isn’t a member of the Order of the Garter, so just white tie, military medals and Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I’m guessing that Harry and Meghan will attend because of Harry’s new role as the Commonwealth’s Youth Ambassador.

I don’t think Camilla will stray away from her usual Honeycomb Tiara. Catherine will probably wear her Queen Mary’s Lovers Knot or Lotus. Although it would be nice to see her wear her wedding tiara, the Cartier Scroll. If the Sussex’s attend...I can see Meghan pulling out a tiara we haven’t seen for some time.

The men will be in Court Dress with orders.

Philip, Charles and William are known to wear the actual garter with their court dress. Of course, that would be impossible for Harry if he attended, which I still find unlikely.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

The men will be in Court Dress (white tie) with orders. Harry isn’t a member of the Order of the Garter, so just white tie, military medals and Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.

IIRC the Halo Scroll is still on tour...so not likely to see that and Kate's never worn it since the wedding day so I figure we won't ever see her in that one again.

I was thinking the same about H&M...so if they go Meghan is the wild card on what tiara since her wedding tiara is on display till Jan I think.

LaRae

Closed Thread