Tiara and Jewels guessing for upcoming events 3: 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
La Chata? What is that?

It's the Mellerio Shell Tiara.
It is also informally known as La Chata because it was a wedding gift for Infanta Isabel from her mother, Queen Isabel II. The Infanta's nickname was La Chata because of her nub nose and so now Spanish royal enthusiasts refer to her tiara as La Chata.

It's the Mellerio Shell Tiara.
It is also informally known as La Chata because it was a wedding gift for Infanta Isabel from her mother, Queen Isabel II. The Infanta's nickname was La Chata because of her nub nose and so now Spanish royal enthusiasts refer to her tiara as La Chata.
Many thanks Yashal and An Ard Di. Had not realised the Shell tiara was called La Chata.

I don't think Letizia will use the Shell, she has only ever used it once. If she does decide to wear a smaller tiara, it will probably be the Floral tiara.

Last edited:
The Shell tiara is privately owned by Queen Sofia. I don't see her lending it to Queen Letizia now that Letizia has other tiaras of her own to choose from. In fact, it is not even certain that King Felipe VI will inherit that tiara in the future as Sofia may decide to leave it to one of her daughters.
The floral tiara is also owned by Queen Sofia, and Queen Letizia wore it numerous times. So I don't think that Sofia would mind lending the shell/La Chata. I just think that Letizia infinitely prefers the floral tiara.

My guess: the great fleur-de-lys and the floral tiara for Letizia.
The Queen with the kokoshnik (she won't attend the guildhall banquet)
Camilla the usual honeycomb, Kate with Queen Mary's lovers knot tiara.
Btw, has it been confirmed that the Cambridges will attend the State Banquet?

Btw, has it been confirmed that the Cambridges will attend the State Banquet?

As of now the official program tells us that the two monarchs and Queen Letizia will be there. I'd say it's quite obvious that the DoE, Charles and Camilla will attend as well. The rest is up for guessing.

Yesterday a Spanish article claimed that the Queen wants the whole Royal family to be there, but they didn't quote any source so I don't know how reliable it is.

:previous: I've read the same info in Europa Press which is pretty serious and they quote "diplomatic sources" so I trust the info. But I would like to know what is their idea of "the whole British Royal Family". Seems quite a loose definition to me :lol:

As Anne will attend the Guildhall, maybe she will skip the State Dinner and the Cambridges or Wessex will attend instead? Either way I guess we won't know until the very same day...

Last edited:
Loose indeed! Well, if all the adults who are on the balcony each year for the Trooping turn up...:lol:

I hope that those 'diplomatic sources' got it right, and what's more: I want good pics of all of them. :D It's not unusual that the hosting royal family turns out in full force for the visit of other monarch's, and I'll be glad to see the British do it that way as well.

Wouldn't it be a treat if Camilla wore something other than the honeycomb? I doubt it, but the Delhi Durbar would be nice to see again. For Sophie I guess the five aquamarine tiara. Anne probably the festoon tiara, but it would be great to see the double meander once again. And then I assume that the Duchess of Glouchester and Princess Michael will also be there, but we might not get good pics of them, being seated down the table.

And what about the guests? The Dukes of Wellington are traditionally connected with Spain, so maybe there will be a glimpse of a Wellington tiara as well?:)

I just want to see lots and lots of tiaras!!!! Crank the vaults open!!

LaRae

Loose indeed! Well, if all the adults who are on the balcony each year for the Trooping turn up...:lol:

My understanding of "all the royal family" is:

1. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
  2. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.
  3. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
  4. The Duke of York.
  5. The Earl of Wessex and the Countess of Wessex.
  6. The Princess Royal.
  7. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.
  8. The Duke and Duchess of Kent.
  9. Princess Alexandra.
  10. And, perhaps, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.
I don't expect Prince Henry of Wales, or Princesses Beatrice or Eugenie of York to be present.

This state visit is important in many levels. First, Spain is now the 4th largest economy in the EU-27 after Germany, France and Italy, a key EU member, and a major foreign investor in the UK. Second, Spain is one of the EU countries with the largest number of resident British expatriates, whose fate is now uncertain under Brexit. Third, Gibraltar will possibly be a sticking point with the EU during the Brexit negotiations.

Finally, politics aside, after the fall of Russian, French, German , Portuguese and Austrian monarchies, Britain and Spain are the two only remaining ancient European monarchies with an imperial past and, therefore, a state visit from the sovereign of one of those countries to the other is pretty much the mother of all state visits as far as European monarchies are concerned. Just to clarify my statement, both Belgium and the Netherlands also had significant colonial empires of their own, but they are technically "new" monarchies that were only established in the 19th century; Sweden and Denmark on the other hand are old monarchies, but none of them had an imperial past comparable to that of Britain and Spain (or even the Netherlands).

The significance of the visit is highlighted by the fact that the two sovereigns will probably be wearing the insignia of the two oldest non-ecclesiastical orders of chilvary in Europe: the Order of the Garter (which will probably be bestowed on Don Felipe ) and the Order of the Golden Fleece (which Queen Elizabeth already has). That will be quite a sight BTW !

Last edited:
Have Eugenie or Beatrice been before...seems like I remember them going at least once?

I think we might see Harry at this one, he is playing a more forward role when the SRF arrives as I recall.

LaRae

Harry is accompanying the King & Queen to Westminster Abbey so its possible he will attend the State Banquet.

Personally I hope Camilla does as she did on the last European Royal state/official visit and brings out the Deli Durbar tiara.

Again, wishful thinking, but I'd love Anne to wear the double meander tiara. I suspect if Kate attends it will be the Lover's Knott or maybe her wedding tiara for the first time in a while.

Or maybe a new one for Kate..we can hope!

LaRae

My guesses for the upcoming Spanish State Visit to UK

Gala Dinner

QE II : Vladimir Tiara with the Cambridge Emeralds

QL : The large Fleur De Lys Tiara

Camilla : Delhi Durbar Tiara

Kate (if she attends) : Lotus Tiara

Anne : Double Meander Tiara

Sophie : Aquamarine Necklace Tiara

Brigitte : Gloucester Turquoise Tiara

Alexandra : Ogilvy Tiara

Princess Michael : Kent Festoon Tiara

The Guildhall Banquet IF it is a tiara event

QL : Mellerio Shell Tiara

Anne : Festoon Tiara

Sophie (if she attends) : Wedding Tiara

The Gloucester attended usaually the Guildhall Banquet. For the Spain Monarchs it will be the Princess Royal and her Husband. May she wear a full parure ?

I'm hoping Letizia wears the Cartier diamond & pearl swirly tiara for the first time. Maybe Anne will wear her greek style tiara in honour of the visiting royals greek connections, especially as there are two tiara events for her.

Fleur de Lys tiara - if not there where else? I thought it was over the top on the Argentinia State Visit but this occasion is a must.
Other than that, please no Floral or Princess tiara, not good enough. I am with tommy100, Cartier diamond & pearl would be my choice for Guildhall.

That is a gorgeous tiara.

LaRae

I'm hoping Letizia wears the Cartier diamond & pearl swirly tiara for the first time.

Do you mean the the Cartier loop tiara or Queen Ena's pearl and diamond tiara ? Queen Sofia didn't wear any of them in the UK in 1986 for a quite simple reason: neither she nor King Juan Carlos owned them at the time ! Apparently, according to the links above, the pearl and diamond tiara was reacquired by King Juan Carlos only in 1996, whereas the Cartier loop was only either inherited or purchased by Juan Carlos in the year 2000.

Queen Letizia obviously doesn't own any of the Cartier tiaras either, but I'm pretty sure that, unlike JC's mother or aunt, Queen Sofia would be glad to loan them for the UK state visit.

:previous:

I don't understand why some of these tiaras are in Queen Sofia's private collection.
Shouldn't they belong to the current Queen of Spain, whoever she may be?

Queen Ena's lol, I couldn't remember how else to describe it apart from on looks which is difficult with two cartier loop tiaras.

I'd like to think Sofia would willingly lend Letizia some of her tiaras as otherwise its the floral tiara or the new tiara only. As JC purchased or acquired both tiaras relatively recently I don't think there has been time to put them in a trust etc, maybe Letizia will in time.

Queen Ena's lol, I couldn't remember how else to describe it apart from on looks which is difficult with two cartier loop tiaras.

I'd like to think Sofia would willingly lend Letizia some of her tiaras as otherwise its the floral tiara or the new tiara only. As JC purchased or acquired both tiaras relatively recently I don't think there has been time to put them in a trust etc, maybe Letizia will in time.
I don't think there is any need for the tiaras to be put in a trust. As long as they remain in the main line of the royal family, there is no reason to transfer ownership.

Now that there is confirmation of two tiara events in London this week, I think we will see La Buena at the state banquet, and possibly one of the Floral, or one of the two diamond and pearl Cartier tiaras for the Guildhall banquet.

I changed my guess for the spanish state visit to UK,

Q. Elizabeth. Girls of GB and Ireland
Q. Letizia Fleur de Lys & Cartier Diamond & Pearls
D. Camilla Dehli Durbar
C. Sophie. Wessex Aquamarin Tiara
P. Anne Meander & Aquamarine Pineflower
D. Catherine Cambridge Lovers Knot
D. Birgitte of Gloucester- Cartier Indian Tiara

I think it would be nice to see Letizia with the Cartier Diamond &Pearl Tiara or the Loop Tiara but still i doubt this and guess she wears the Floral or her own Fleur de lys. Whatever she wears she will looking great and i looking forward to this state visit and all the Tiaras and Jewels.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any need for the tiaras to be put in a trust. As long as they remain in the main line of the royal family, there is no reason to transfer ownership.

But why should the Queen have to go, hat in hand so to speak, to borrow a tiara?

It should be hers by right, not in the private collection of someone who is no longer the Queen and probably has little occasion to wear tiaras anyway.

I think Sofia should have promptly handed them over the minute her husband abdicated.

But why should the Queen have to go, hat in hand so to speak, to borrow a tiara?

It should be hers by right, not in the private collection of someone who is no longer the Queen and probably has little occasion to wear tiaras anyway.

I think Sofia should have promptly handed them over the minute her husband abdicated.

To be accurate, I believe the Cartier tiaras are actually owned personally by King Juan Carlos rather than Queen Sofia. Sofia owns the Prussian Fringe and received the Floral Tiara, the Rubies and the Mellerio Shell as personal gifts, so she must own them too.

The only tiara in the collection that is earmarked for exclusive use by the current Queen is the big Fleur de Lys, under the terms of Queen Ena's will. I agree with Mirabel that it would make sense to place at least the Fleur de Lys and the two Cartiers, plus matching jewelry, in a trust held by the sovereign. As for Sofia's other tiaras, she could leave some of them to Felipe (like the Floral for example) and leave others to her daughters if she wants to.

To be accurate, I believe the Cartier tiaras are actually owned personally by King Juan Carlos rather than Queen Sofia. Sofia owns the Prussian Fringe and received the Floral Tiara, the Rubies and the Mellerio Shell as personal gifts, so she must own them too.

The only tiara in the collection that is earmarked for exclusive use by the current Queen is the big Fleur de Lys, under the terms of Queen Ena's will. I agree with Mirabel that it would make sense to place at least the Fleur de Lys and the two Cartiers, plus matching jewelry, in a trust held by the sovereign. As for Sofia's other tiaras, she could leave some of them to Felipe (like the Floral for example) and leave others to her daughters if she wants to.

The FdL (and accompanying jewels) certainly does not need to go into a trust. The terms of Queen Ena’s will stipulates the tiara – along with other pieces collectively termed the ‘joyas de pasar‘- passes from Queen to Queen, so in effect, is an automatic transfer.

AS regards the other tiaras (apart from the small FdL tiara privately owned by Letizia), they are all privately owned by JC and/or Sofia, and were all either gifts to them or were acquired by them personally. In those circumstances, they are really for them to dispose off as they deem appropriate.

That said, I would expect that most of them will end up with Felipe and Letizia as JC and Sofia worked quite hard to rebuilt the Spanish jewel collection, reacquiring historical family jewels. Once they are with F&L, once again, I do not see what the need for a trust might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom