The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

So we just got two first-time tiaras within three days. Not bad.
What do you think will be the next one?

I find it hard to imagine that Letizia will inaugurate two first-timers in a row, so I expect one of the tiara she has already worn. Preferably the Mellerio shell tiara. Maybe HGD Stephanie? She seems to be quite a magpie and hasn't worn a new one for some time. There's a Luxembourg State Visit coming up, the National Day gala and maybe the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway are a tiara event as well. I'd love to see one of the Norwegian ladies with Queen Maud's diamond tiara, though that seems not very likely.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:16 AM
Majesty

We still don't know the UK calender for state visits for this year. Depending on who the incoming visitors are, we could see some interesting bits emerge.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Majesty

I hope Her Majesty's Government will propose an invitation to the King of the Netherlands. Last year the King and Queen did attend Remembrance Sunday. The Queen knows Willem-Alexander his whole life. He has studied in Wales.

The Netherlands always advocated British membership of the EU (as contraweight to the two other Benelux neighbours: Germany and France) and it will never harm the UK to have a friend in The Hague with a moderate effect on Germany and France in the Brexit talks. Again also out of Dutch interest: think at giant Anglo-Dutch multinationals like Royal Dutch Shell and Unilever...

No doubt that such a State Visit will have a promise of awesome good oldfashioned royal glitter... ;-)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how Queens Fabiola and Paola managed tiaras wthin 3 days as they had only 2! For Queen Mathilde Nine Province , Wolfers and Wedding tiaras. Thanks Queen Fabiola !
Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I wonder how Queens Fabiola and Paola managed tiaras wthin 3 days as they had only 2! For Queen Mathilde Nine Province , Wolfers and Wedding tiaras. Thanks Queen Fabiola !
Queen Fabiola actually had 3 tiaras at her disposal (the Nine Provinces, the Wolfers, and the Spanish wedding gift). Queen Paola had only two (the Nine Provinces and the Art Deco).

So far, Mathilde has also worn three tiaras since she became queen consort (the Nine Provinces, the Wolfers convertible necklace, and her own Brabant laurel wreath). It remains to be seen whether the Spanish wedding gift is also available to her or not. Hopefully she will surprise us at the Danish state visit and debut the Spanish tiara, but I wouldn't count, much less bet on that.

It is unfortunate that Queen Mathilde doesn't also have access to the Art Deco tiara , but I'm afraid that piece will definitely stay with Princess Astrid.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I hope Her Majesty's Government will propose an invitation to the King of the Netherlands. Last year the King and Queen did attend Remembrance Sunday. The Queen knows Willem-Alexander his whole life. He has studied in Wales.

The Netherlands always advocated British membership of the EU (as contraweight to the two other Benelux neighbours: Germany and France) and it will never harm the UK to have a friend in The Hague with a moderate effect on Germany and France in the Brexit talks. Again also out of Dutch interest: think at giant Anglo-Dutch multinationals like Royal Dutch Shell and Unilever...

No doubt that such a State Visit will have a promise of awesome good oldfashioned royal glitter... ;-)
I still have my fingers crossed for a Dutch state visit to Sweden this year.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Majesty

I think the next queen we will see the art deco on will be Elisabeth. While Paola lends it to her daughter now, because of the shortage of tiaras in the family, I don't believe it will be given to astrid permanently. It will be fitting to see the future Queen Elisabeth in her namesakes tiara.

I do hope we see Mathilde in the wedding gift soon.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
I still have my fingers crossed for a Dutch state visit to Sweden this year.
Such a visit might give us another glimpse of the Braganza. It hasn't been used since Victoria's wedding, so it's long overdue.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Such a visit might give us another glimpse of the Braganza. It hasn't been used since Victoria's wedding, so it's long overdue.
Indeed, so it is about time some of the new monarchs visit Sweden, so Queen Silvia gets a reason to bring out the Braganza.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:15 AM
Majesty

My predictions for the Belgian visit to Denmark

Mathilde: full version of the Nine Provinces tiara
Margrethe: emerald parure
Mary: wedding tiara
Marie : wedding tiara
Benedikte: Fringe tiara
Old 02-26-2017, 03:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I think the next queen we will see the art deco on will be Elisabeth. While Paola lends it to her daughter now, because of the shortage of tiaras in the family, I don't believe it will be given to astrid permanently. It will be fitting to see the future Queen Elisabeth in her namesakes tiara.

I do hope we see Mathilde in the wedding gift soon.
HI&RH Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este born Princess of Belgium exactly is not the one with a shortage of jewels, still she -as only daughter of Queen Paola- received the fabulous diamond bandeau. So I am not all that sure that Astrid would leave it to her niece Elisabeth and not to her many daughters(-in-law), all Archduchesses and all active in high society. There is still a whole layer of royalty and aristocracy living in their niche of society, totally unnoticed by the public, but still with fancy balls, diners, receptions et all.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
Indeed, so it is about time some of the new monarchs visit Sweden, so Queen Silvia gets a reason to bring out the Braganza.
Hopefully she will do so and not like at the State Visit from Luxembourg when she wore instead the Leuchtenberg sapphires.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Duc , well said.
The Dowager Archduchess of Habsbourg Este is still alive. She has 4 Children . Will Prince Lorenz have the tiara AND the Eerald Collar??
Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Let's return to the current events. Here is my list of (potential) tiara events before the summer break:

March
21st - SV from Iceland to Norway
23rd - representation dinner in Sweden
28th - SV from Belgium to Denmark
? - SV from Argentina to the Netherlands

April
4th - SV from Spain to Japan

May
9th - Gala dinner for the 80th birthday of King Harald and Queen Sonja
23rd - SV from Portugal to Luxembourg

June
6th - SV from the Netherlands to Italy and Vatican City

No date announced
May or June (probably) - Diplomatic Reception in the Netherlands
(might be later this year) - SV from the USA to Great Britain

Any corrections or additions?

----------
I'm particularly looking forward to Queen Letizia in Japan and to the birthday gala in Norway. It's not 100% sure that it will be tiaras, but I think it will. They might chose a dress code similar to that of King Carl Gustav's 70th BD, with optional tiaras.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
HI&RH Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este born Princess of Belgium exactly is not the one with a shortage of jewels, still she -as only daughter of Queen Paola- received the fabulous diamond bandeau. So I am not all that sure that Astrid would leave it to her niece Elisabeth and not to her many daughters(-in-law), all Archduchesses and all active in high society. There is still a whole layer of royalty and aristocracy living in their niche of society, totally unnoticed by the public, but still with fancy balls, diners, receptions et all.

Has it ever actually been confirmed astrid was given the tiara? No. Yes she is loaned its use but we don't know who it will be left to when Paola dies.

The only daughter in law who will eventually really have any need for a tiara, in reality, is Elisabetta as the future archduchess. And there are the Austria ester tiaras.

I have no doubt Paola will leave her daughter jewels, as I am sure Elizabeth will leave Anne and her granddaughters pieces, but the tiara I have serious doubts. There are so few tiaras in the family.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Majesty

Does anyone know if King Willem Alexanders birthday with be a tiara event?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Does anyone know if King Willem Alexanders birthday with be a tiara event?
It is not known, we have to wait and see.

Personally, I don't think it will be. But then you never know. WA and Maxima have augmented the number of tiara events, with their pre-inauguration gala and even some official visits. So there is a chance. It would be so gorgeous to see the King's aunts and sisters-in-law with tiaras once again!

Old 03-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Tilia C , I love your new Avatar !
Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Tilia C , I love your new Avatar !
Thank you, maria-oliva.
For those who don't recognize it: it's the central element of the fleur-de-lys tiara recently worn by Queen Letizia.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
It is not known, we have to wait and see.

Personally, I don't think it will be. But then you never know. WA and Maxima have augmented the number of tiara events, with their pre-inauguration gala and even some official visits. So there is a chance. It would be so gorgeous to see the King's aunts and sisters-in-law with tiaras once again!
Thank you. Hopefully there will be at least an official photo in which the Queen is wearing a tiara. If so, I think Maxima will wear the large pearl tiara.